• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: "Nintendo Direct - promises, promises"

Will their fans still be interested? HA. Just Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter, Mainline Mario, Monlith Softwares X, Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros alone make it for me all I need. I dont care about Sony or Microsoft AT ALL.

I absolutely hate how I keep seeing people say "Pff we already knew Monolith Soft was making a game for the system".

Really? So what, you don't care about seeing WHAT games they're making anymore? First people complain about Nintendo not having cool new games, and when we see new games you move on over to companies? What the hell do people want? I just don't understand how on earth anybody could be scoffing at Monolith Soft's announcement. Say you're not interested in RPGs, sure it's not the announcement for you, but they still just showed us an amazing looking game right now.

I was surprised, and delighted, to know for sure that we will see these titles at E3. Some of them playable.
Good, this will help you throught January and February. ANd what's march? Ah yes! Wario Ware.

Of course those games are coming, what would have been nice is to at least have some feedback about them.

Kouriozan

Well, the 3Ds didn't exactly flopped. You are thinking about Sony and the Vita, which did everything right. And again, core gamers. An extremely fuzzy set that has never been properly defined.

This is a curse, every next gen console are bombing at launch (3DS/Vita/Wii U*).
* : For NeoGAF

Meesh

The "investment" and "good will" arguments are absurd and embarrassing. Outside of message boards where people are unhealthily invested in these companies, people don't purchase consoles to play games a year off. That's like purchasing a chainsaw because you think you may someday live in a forest.
*nods, nods* But I ask you this good sir; if you go into the forest with said chainsaw, and cut a tree down without your wife...did you do it wrong? Well did youuuuuuuuuuu!?
just messing around :)

cand

Many of us look at the old tech in the Wii U, the lame OS, the piss-poor third party support, and the account system and don't see this "really really tryin'" thing you speak of.

That's beacause many of you are searching for problems. If the games are good fuck the old tech thing. OS can be updated and it will. 3rd party is not about only Nintendo. They make games for consoles that sell, that's how they work but you don't want to buy all of the games, you just want to say that "this console has that game". Is the account thing really annoying? It is. Are the games less good for it? Nopes.

There's a lot of things in the ps3, wich I have too, that pisses me off, and, if you can remember, the OS was pure shit on the begining. Now I see really tryin' when they announce good games, games I want to play. If none of them is for you, ok, don't blame this things cause it's not a big deal. If you want it to be, great. I'm not losing any good games because some problems people say should make me furious but they don't.

dumbest shit i've read all day

Refute it then. Did the 3DS not flop so hard that it forced Nintendo to drop the price nearly 100 dollars within months of release? Remind me again why the Ambassador program exists. Nintendo estimated 5.5 million Wii Us sold by April. Tell me how close right now you think they're actually going to get to that number.

That's beacause many of you are searching for problems.

What the hell is this? People are searching for problems now?

18-Volt

Of course someone else could have do better than this but this is Nintendo. They have limited power, they need collaborations to stay alive. Best they can do is Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing from in-house studios, Fire Emblem/Warioware from Intelligent Systems, Kirby from HAL, SSB from Sora, and one project at a time from Retro and Monolith.

Rest is all collaborations, Traveller's Tales, GoodFeel, Alphadream, Platinum, Mistwalker, Team Ninja, Square-enix and Namco. Now they're going all in, all of their own studios and friend studios actually making something for the system. They're running on full power. Nobody's resting at Nintendo. I do belive this is the best they can do, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda and SSB are being made at the same time.

I agree that there was a lot of "Don't worry, it's coming soon," which should be called out for what it is.

But to pretend that is totally different from what's happening with Microsoft and Sony isn't really true.

imjust1n

Banned
So stupid, dude if you don't like Nintendo don't write about it.
I'm verrry excited for what's to come. This Nintendo direct was the best and it's still January.
I have lots of faith for the games that I saw the demos... Except yoshi's new game I didn't like kirbys epic yarn

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Refute it then. Did the 3DS not flop so hard that it forced Nintendo to drop the price nearly 100 dollars within months of release? Remind me again why the Ambassador program exists. Nintendo estimated 5.5 million Wii Us sold by April. Tell me how close right now you think they're actually going to get to that number.

So, you agree that the Ps3 flopped, then?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It's launch sure as hell flopped. Who denies that?

Well, we have different definitions of flop, then. Since I believe flop entails failure. The Ps3 struggled, but in the end is still alive and reasonably healthy. Same with the 3DS. Vita? Were are still waiting for the an official statement, but doens't look good at all.

When has it been any different? E3 is a business strategy for Nintendo, plus the games may not be ready to show yet.
Well Ziek, E3 is a f*cking piece of sh!t dinosaur i hope for the industry (or at least Nintendo) to overcome. Nintendo does have the right idea with the Directs. Just forget about E3 and do some unveilings before and after the show.

I do agree with Edge, but it was not a total waste. What saved the presentation was the reveal of what Monolith is working on.

P90

Nintendo doesn't mention future games: "Where is the long term vision!?"
Nintendo shows future games: "Promises promises"

Ugh.

Pretty much. If similar magnitude games were being announced for MS/Sony the press would be pooping their pants in delight and not criticizing. (Except for my poor Vita). All the hardware companies operate on "promises, promises".

squidyj

I think Edge should be grateful that Nintendo showed any AAA games TBH. The realistic expectations going into this was "MAYBE" Bayonetta 2 LOL. We got a lot more than that. Sony and Microsoft will have their own problems when launch comes.....

Unless Iwata came over and blew the Edge staff under the table there's very little Nintendo could do that Edge, or any consumer ought to be grateful for. Especially not for showing a glimmer of hope in what was a serious concern about the console. That's their job and there's nothing to feel grateful about.

So stupid, dude if you don't like Nintendo don't write about it.
I'm verrry excited for what's to come. This Nintendo direct was the best and it's still January.
I have lots of faith for the games that I saw the demos... Except yoshi's new game I didn't like kirbys epic yarn

Was someone being mean to your favorite company and best bro? If you don't like what they have to say, don't read it.

Edit: also, I can confirm that yes indeed, this is a nintendo thread. SMH

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
What's that got to do with supposed promises about next gen consoles?
The point is that the industry is full of promises like that. And Nintendo has a much better record on delivering and not over-promising than Sony and, to a lesser extent, MS.

Pretty much. If similar magnitude games were being announced for MS/Sony the press would be pooping their pants in delight and not criticizing. (Except for my poor Vita).
Why are we talking about MS and Sony now? Is NIntendo that launched the console with a day 1 patch, slow OS, freezing problems, lack of apps and a weak line up. They are the ones telling early adopters to suck it up and bare with it for even more months.

If Sony and MS feature a similar performance with their new systems they'll get a lot of sh!t coming and rightfully deserved. But right now let's focus on the important matter and that's Nintendo.

FuturusX

Edge is alluding to the actual delivery of the new games. How long will we have to wait?

Anyway, I own a WiiU with Nitendo Land and SMB.

When is next big title on it's way? A firm date and name.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Flop to me means failed to meet sales estimates by the company releasing the device.

flop
/fläp/
Verb
Fall, move, or hang in a heavy, loose, and ungainly way: "black hair flopped across his forehead".
Noun
A heavy, loose, and ungainly movement, or a sound made by it: "they hit the ground with a flop".
Synonyms
verb. fail
noun. failure - washout - miscarriage - fiasco

Where's my Last Guardian?

Your argument started relatively good but has completely disintegrated. Starting to sound a little desperate here man.

flop
/fläp/
Verb
Fall, move, or hang in a heavy, loose, and ungainly way: "black hair flopped across his forehead".
Noun
A heavy, loose, and ungainly movement, or a sound made by it: "they hit the ground with a flop".
Synonyms
verb. fail

Oh my bad your clearly just messing around. Carry on

Meh, I think Nintendo's doing fine with WiiU. I haven't been enticed to buy one yet, but I also see no evidence of the "huge crime" Nintendo has somehow perpetrated on the gaming world, with one little dry spell.
They're a good force in this industry. People need to stop drawing up the wagons of console wars and just see that.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The point is that the industry is full of promises like that. And Nintendo has a much better record on delivering and not over-promising than Sony and, to a lesser extent, MS.

Pikmin 3 on Wii a fantastic example of course. Or Mario 128. Or Metroid Dread. Or that Gamecube Kirby game. Oh.

Raist

Banned
After seeing the reaction in the stream thread, I'm actually not surprised so many people are utterly outraged by Edge's post.

The quote from the article in the OP does mix WiiU software situation with the upcoming release of the PS4 and 720. IMO, not directly comparable topics.

Mentioning that competitors are about to reveal their next-gen consoles soon. How DARE THEY.

P90

Why are we talking about MS and Sony now? Is NIntendo that launched the console with a day 1 patch, slow OS, freezing problems, lack of apps and a weak line up. They are the ones telling early adopters to suck it up and bare with it for even more months.

If Sony and MS feature a similar performance with their new systems they'll get a lot of sh!t coming and well deserved.

Uhhh. Because it is in the quote in the OP. I am staying on topic to the OP.

Meesh

Could always be worse. They could be telling us to suck it up and get an extra job/remortgage our house so we can afford to buy their hardware.

Codeblue

Really? Last I checked Sony and Microsoft have said nothing about new consoles. They've made no promises. Yet.

They will have to make promises because that's how announcements work. It isn't a bad thing.

It's not like Nintendo is Molyneaux now and we can assume all of these are empty. Past history shows that they will probably come through on everything they announced today.

If you want to hate on something, hate on their crappy spacing. Saying that all Nintendo does is promise does not carry much weight. (Not necessarily directed at you).

flop
/fläp/
Verb
Noun
Synonyms
verb. fail

That fits too. The 3DS launch was a flop/failure. Thus they were forced to drop the price and offer a "we're so sorry" program.

They will have to make promises because that's how announcements work. It isn't a bad thing.

Not a bad thing at all.

squidyj

Meh, I think Nintendo's doing fine with WiiU. I haven't been enticed to buy one yet, but I also see no evidence of the "huge crime" Nintendo has somehow perpetrated on the gaming world, with one little dry spell.
They're a good force in this industry. People need to stop drawing up the wagons of console wars and just see that.

What does that even mean?

kinggroin

Banned
Good, this will help you throught January and February. ANd what's march? Ah yes! Wario Ware.

Of course those games are coming, what would have been nice is to at least have some feedback about them.

I usually agree with your posts, but there are actually games coming out in the next couple of months.

Uhhh. Because it is in the quote in the OP. I am staying on topic to the OP.
No, the topic is "Nintendo promises, promises". Not Sony Hell yea! and MS BOOYA!

Everything else is derailment to evade the butchered Wii U launch, how it's been completly overshadowed by the Wii's performance and no solid release date for a system seller title. That's reality, some people are cool with it and others have the right to complain and be concerned.

BadWolf

If you are buying a console day one then you should expect release droughts, its nothing unusual.

Its why I never go day one, always after a library developments.

Nothing wrong with promising good stuff to look forward to :shrug:

Sure the industry is. But Nintendo never has been. Nintendo's never been about showing people their future roadmap. That's why this is a big deal. That's why Edge wrote what they wrote. Nintendo's reaction to the poor launch/reception was to essentially make "promises promises". All Edge is doing is pointing that out. Why all the hand-ringing?

iPhone exceeded Apple's estimates. You can take any talk of Apple to an Apple thread if you feel like it though. Or PM. No need to shit this thread up with it.

guek

Banned
So is this the hater's club thread? *looks around*

ayup.

The ND wasn't perfect...far from it, but there was certainly quite a bit for a lot of people to get excited about. Things will pick up a bit in late Feb/March but what's coming in April? Guess we have to wait for that 3rd party-centric ND.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Pikmin 3 on Wii a fantastic example of course. Or Mario 128. Or Metroid Dread. Or that Gamecube Kirby game. Oh.

Pikmin 3 (Wii) was officially announced, if I remember correctly it was announced when someone asked Miyamoto about the franchise and he responded that Nintendo was indeed working on a Pikmin game. Mario 128 was never a game and never proposed as anything more than a tech demo. Dread was nothing but fan speculation...

I don't know what you want to get with that list. It doens't compare to the fanfare with which The Last guardian was announced at an E3 keynote. Or the "reel" full of CGI, not actual gameplay, with which the Ps3 was unveiled.

Oersted

Sure the industry is. But Nintendo never has been. Nintendo's never been about showing people their future roadmap. That's why this is a big deal. That's why Edge wrote what they wrote. Nintendo's reaction to the poor launch/reception was to essentially make "promises promises". All Edge is doing is pointing that out. Why all the hand-ringing?

Zelda demo video for Game Cube says hey. And since when didn´t they show their future roadmap? The hell? Are we attacking everything now?

Top Bottom