• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: "Nintendo Direct - promises, promises"

Zelda demo video for Game Cube says hey. And since didn´t they show their future roadmap? The hell? Are attacking everything now?

I don't know if you want a response, but I can't until you clean up the English in your post. I sadly have no idea what you're trying to say.

So is this the hater's club thread? *looks around*

ayup.

The ND wasn't perfect...far from it, but there was certainly quite a bit for a lot of people to get excited about. Things will pick up a bit in late Feb/March but what's coming in April? Guess we have to wait for that 3rd party-centric ND.
Posts like these man... posts like these XD

So one can't be critical withouth resorting to hate? Is not fair on your part to group everyone in the same sack.

Like some posters already pointed out, the Wii U suffers from same symtoms of other launches. But it also has its special amount of issues that make it look a lot worse.
intendo doesn't mention future games: "Where is the long term vision!?"
Nintendo shows future games: "Promises promises"

Ugh./thread
Except they didn't show sh!t, save for Xenoblade that looked really nice. And Yoshi...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sales down because they couldn't make them fast enough to meet demand. A failure of sorts, I guess.

For me, flop means the total failure of a project/product beyond recovery. If I'm wrong, then we need a different term, because there's noticeable difference between of the flop of Ps3 and the flop of Vita or the Gizmodo.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
This is just the same cycle with Nintendo hardware. Nintendo can't win because expectations are all over the place. "We want more announcements for future software". Nintendo does so and people are upset lol.

You know no one forced you to buy a Wii U at launch right? If you didn't have interest in titles early on, you could wait until there's titles on the platform that interest you.

Satoru Iwata did not offer that apology to Wii U owners for no other reason than to be polite or humble, he and Nintendo clearly felt there was a good reason to apologize.. This is not my opinion or EDGE, Nintendo themselves made sure this came across

Sitting at the table with your cards to your chest? No longer time for that, sales around the world indicate that the GamePad and NintendoLand have not sparked the same interest that Wiimote and Wii Sports did, it was time to act.

Nintendo did the right thing, it is better to promise games that are still months away and some even several years away than to keep your cards close to your chest.

Now there is less air of mystique around the Wii U, but the system as a whole looks more attractive because people can pin point some of the games they really want to play. You can go to bed tonight with the warm feeling that yes, Wind Waker HD is coming and so is Mario Kart U.

January and February are going to be rough months for the Wii U, but at least now there is optimism and hope. Nintendo did the right thing, the only thing they really could do at this moment. They cannot conjure games out of thin air.

Promises>>>Nothing
Nintendo doesn't need to worry about losing the interest of its existing fanbase. They need to worry about gaining the interest of everyone else.
I think them showing Monoliths game was a great move because I am really really excited about it but the article does make some good points. It's too bad the negativity surrounding the Wii U is so extreme because it forces Nintendo fans to be just as extreme in the positive direction and spout insane hyperbole.

If people were balanced we could look at this objectively and come somewhere in the middle. We're these announcements great? Yes. Is Nintendo still facing a huge uphill battle? Absolutely
I see the common sense brigade is here. Well said, guys.
what the hell?
did they watch the whole thing?

they described it as a "steady stream of releases" starting in March.
Monster Hunter has a release date, Pikmin 3 is sure to be out by at least the start of Fall, WW HD is scheduled for Fall, Bayonetta 2 will most likely be sometime this year, W101 will most likely be Summer/Fall, SMT x FE could definitely be out within the year ...

they gave updates on both near and long-term releases, so I don't get this premise of "promises/announcements not being enough".
plus Nintendo is not a company that announces games that turn into vaporware.

sure, MS and Sony will have consoles out by the end of the year, but I seriously doubt their holiday launch/launch-window line-ups will come close to the WiiU library by the end of 2013.

obviously a troll article. the Nintendo haters will shit on anything.

also, fuck these morons saying the announcements will only please Nintendo fans. since when are hardcore RPGs only appealing to that demographic?
Chillax

What makes me really sad about all this negativism around Nintendo is that they're really really tryin' and nothing seems to be enough for some people. They don't want to BELIEVE cause they think everything should be perfect from the start.

Guess what, your money makes it better. Wii U is a great console. Is it perfect? No. Will be? Probably not. But there's no perfect console. I think is ok to not like it and put everything in reasonable terms, but just hate it for the hate? It's stupid. The games journalism is that bad now because people like this kind of DOOM shit.

If you BELIEVE Nintendo is capable of bringin' great games for the console during its lifespan buy it. If not just leave it alone and go find something healthy to do with your life.
Comparisons and tech analisis of power don't mean anything if the games aren't good. And the only way to verify the quality is playing. I swear to God people like more to play critic than play the game.

There's only 2-3 months since launch people. 3DS was a disaster too remember? And then became a beast in Japan and, with Pokemon will be a beast in rest of the world. It took more than a year to get to this point so chill out and stop spreading this bad press non-sense. It's not good for absolutly anyone. Just think about it!! What good does this type of press bring to ANYONE?
Nintendo weren't doing shit. They were trying their very best to skirt by on the bare minimum and the world leaned towards their ear and whispered "no". This forced Nintendo's hand and now they have to show something instead of expecting people to line up for a console that had absolutely nothing to show after the Summer. Good on the world for telling Nintendo what's what. I hope the world does the same to Microsoft and Sony if they decide that we should buy their expensive hardware without knowing about their future offerings.
It's launch sure as hell flopped. Who denies that? The same sites Nintendo fans are crying about for beating up poor Nintendo also beat up the PS3 and Sony. Rightfully.
Brutally too lol

Watching the internet's reaction to the need for two jobs and $599 US dollars was hilarious. Sony got roasted in a way that would have buried many other companies. They took the beating of a lifetime and had to struggle immensely just to sell half of what the PS2 did.

Well, the 3Ds didn't exactly flopped.

This is some kind of a revisionist history right? I mean we all imagined the massive price drop, where Nintendo was forced to sell a hardware at a loss for the first time ever. We all imagined and are still imaginign how th e3DS is not living up to Nintendo´s forecast expectations.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
This is some kind of a revisionist history right? I mean we all imagined the massive price drop, where Nintendo was forced to sell a hardware at a loss for the first time ever. We all imagined and are still imaginign how th e3DS is not living up to Nintendo´s forecast expectations.
To quote myself:

For me, flop means the total failure of a project/product beyond recovery. If I'm wrong, then we need a different term, because there's noticeable difference between of the flop of Ps3 and the flop of Vita or the Gizmodo.

A release can flop, or be a failure, and the device can still succeed. Not sure why there's such confusion. The 3DS and Wii U launches flopped. Nintendo dropped the price of the 3DS and it recovered. Your entire lifecycle doesn't have to be a series of successes to be considered a success.

guek

Banned
Posts like these man... posts like these XD

So one can't be critical withouth resorting to hate? Is not fair on your part to group everyone in the same sack.

Like some posters already pointed out, the Wii U suffers from same symtoms of other launches. But it also has its special amount of issues that make it look a lot worse.

Except they didn't show sh!t, save for Xenoblade that looked really nice. And Yoshi...

Yeah, maybe the wording is a bit harsh. How about the Cynicism Corner? the Pessimist's Plaza? I was just joshin you guys anyway.

You're right though, there's nothing particularly wrong with being a bit more reserved in the enthusiasm. None of this stuff is coming soon. But I knew before clicking that this was going to be the "well, the ND wasn't that great, I don't know why so many people are excited" thread.

Nintendo weren't doing shit. They were trying their very best to skirt by on the bare minimum and the world leaned towards their ear and whispered "no". This forced Nintendo's hand and now they have to show something instead of expecting people to line up for a console that had absolutely nothing to show after the Summer. Good on the world for telling Nintendo what's what. I hope the world does the same to Microsoft and Sony if they decide that we should buy their expensive hardware without knowing about their future offerings.
Finally someone takes the side of the consumer for once.

My respects Solarpowered, the thruth in that post was nuclear powered thought.
Yeah, maybe the wording is a bit harsh. How about the Cynicism Corner? the Pessimist's Plaza? I was just joshin you guys anyway.

You're right though, there's nothing particularly wrong with being a bit more reserved in the enthusiasm. None of this stuff is coming soon. But I knew before clicking that this was going to be the "well, the ND wasn't that great, I don't know why so many people are excited" thread.
Im just saying Edge has a point. I myself really enjoy Nintendo Direct's, a fantastic iniative to hit a bit closer to the consumer, but there's room for criticism and we both help ourselfs and Nintendo by not been too complacent.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
A release can flop, or be a failure, and the device can still succeed. Not sure why there's such confusion. The 3DS and Wii U launches flopped. Nintendo dropped the price of the 3DS and it recovered. Your entire lifecycle doesn't have to be a series of successes to be considered a success.
Eh, we are reaching a language barrier here. English is not my first language after all. For me, failure always implied that the situation had no possible recovery. Sorry if I'm in the wrong.

What I don't like are the false equivalence derived from such use of the word, like "Both, the 3DS and Vita flopped, so they are in the same situation".

Lets leave it at that, we have deviated too much from my original point and the intend of the thread.

imjust1n

Banned
Was someone being mean to your favorite company and best bro? If you don't like what they have to say, don't read it.

This thread should be closed its pointless its just some writer getting all butthurt let's focus on real subjects here people.

Nintendo's biggest problem with the Wii was getting the consoles made. This time it's software.

It's a pathetic showing really. Like they're scrambling to work out what people want. I find it hard to believe that's a great creative atmosphere. It's too bad. Probably will end up being a good game every 3-6 months and barren in between just like the Wii.

Ziek

Well Ziek, E3 is a f*cking piece of sh!t dinosaur i hope for the industry (or at least Nintendo) to overcome. Nintendo does have the right idea with the Directs. Just forget about E3 and do some unveilings before and after the show.

I do agree with Edge, but it was not a total waste. What saved the presentation was the reveal of what Monolith is working on.

I understand your frustration with E3, and I share your frustration, but Nintendo will always be there.

Sadist

Finally someone takes the side of the consumer for once.

My respects Solarpowered, the thruth in that post was nuclear powered thought.

Im just saying Edge has a point. I myself really enjoy Nintendo Direct's, a fantastic iniative to hit a bit closer to the consumer, but there's room for criticism and we both help ourselfs and Nintendo by not been to complacent.
I think that's everyone's stance on this one.

The thing is, I think some of the posters here just got used to the droughts of new videogame systems and they just go with it. It's horrible, investing in a machine which won't deliver on the promises made during the first year but it seems that is something that will never change within this industry. I've accepted it.

PhantomR

Banned
dumbest shit i've read all day

Hence why he's on my ignore list. If I were you I'd follow suit.

While we have the "will never be pleased" crowd, I think the majority of us in this thread concur that Nintendo brought the heat this morning and made a solid case for why you should purchase a Wii U, and why you should feel confident with your existing Wii U purchase.

I see the common sense brigade is here. Well said, guys.

Chillax

Nintendo weren't doing shit. They were trying their very best to skirt by on the bare minimum and the world leaned towards their ear and whispered "no". This forced Nintendo's hand and now they have to show something instead of expecting people to line up for a console that had absolutely nothing to show after the Summer. Good on the world for telling Nintendo what's what. I hope the world does the same to Microsoft and Sony if they decide that we should buy their expensive hardware without knowing about their future

Dang well said man.

Of course they could have avoided all this if they'd waited 12mths for the games to be ready and on a console that could actually compete with MS & Sony in terms of performance.

..but that would be too much like common sense for Nintendo.

Of course they could have avoided all this if they'd waited 12mths for the games to be ready and on a console that could actually compete with MS & Sony in terms of performance.

I have no proof to back it up, but I'm betting after the success of the Wii they thought they could do whatever they want and it would sell. I'm just surprised that the 3DS fiasco didn't wake them up before essentially repeating the same disaster with the Wii U.

Pociask

Talk about missing the mark! Here's my working assumption - everything Nintendo showed today will be released this year, except Smash. I think Nintendo could even hit Smash for December 2013. (That'd be the triumvirate of 3d Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash for Holiday 2013). I also expect Nintendo to show Retro's title at E3, for release this year.

So these "promises" are the games that the next Xbox and PlayStation will be launching against. I have no idea what those consoles price point will be - 399? 499? I have no idea what titles will be launching with those consoles.

It's a brave new world out there for retail console video games. Sales have cratered over the past few years. I am excited to see what Sony and Microsoft are bringing to the table, but they could still very well have a much poorer launch than the Wii U. So I just don't know how you look at today's Nintendo Direct, which was an answer to the demand that Nintendo tell consumers what they were working on, and say, "Pshaw! Just promises."

I have no proof to back it up, but I'm betting after the success of the Wii they thought they could do whatever they want and it would sell. I'm just surprised that the 3DS fiasco didn't wake them up before essentially repeating the same disaster with the Wii U.

I think based on the launch lineup and clear rush to market this is a solid guess.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
It's our own fault that unbalanced articles like this get published. Same reason why fap articles like IGN's get published too. We preference them.

We aren't pressing game journalists to get better, we are rewarding them for their failure. There is absolutely no need for concepts like accountability, transparency, and investigative accuracy in gaming journalism when the only thing to add to company information is commentary. Gaming doesn't need journalists, it needs blog posters.

Anyway... the article isn't that bad.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

I believe that would have been the worst course of action for Nintendo.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

I actually think the issue with the Wii is that the industry treated it like the DC. They just didn't give it a chance.

The difference is that unlike the DC, the consumers didn't hold the same sentiments. They bought the Wii in droves and what did that amount to the industry doing? Well... nothing, really.

During the N64 and GC eras people always claimed Nintendo didn't get support because they didn't sell enough for 3rd parties to be interested. The Wii showed that wasn't the case. Or at least, it showed that the sunk costs of HD were far too great for companies to remain flexible enough to change direction.

The industry is going to swallow itself up in the attempt to make everything like a summer blockbuster

I believe that would be the worst course of action.

They were kind of stuck with the Wii U between being underpowered but releasing earlier than the next consoles but hoping fan loyalty would cover the dearth of titles. That seems like a pretty risky endeavor especially after the 3ds

I believe that would be the worst course of action for Nintendo.

Why?....

If they had launched in September this year with 2 or 3 of their AAA franchises on a console that at least had a chance of maintaining parity with Xbox & PS4, that 2 or 3 month head start would have put them in a far stronger position than what the strategy they have followed has put them in.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.

I'm going to go with what Iwata said instead: that they wanted to spend more time on the games they have to get to that "Nintendo" quality. I'm guessing there were miscalculations as to the popularity of the Wii U for sure, but I doubt they thought "we can do whatever we want!" The sheer volume of exclusive software coming out in Spring and Summer is impressive:

Rayman Legends, Lego City, Game and Wario, Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, The Wonderful 101, and console exclusive Monster Hunter 3 U.

I don't think they thought they could do whatever they wanted...

Sandfox

Why?....

If they had launched in September this year with 2 or 3 of their AAA franchises on a console that at least had a chance of maintaining parity with Xbox & PS4, that 2 or 3 month head start would have put them in a far stronger position than what the strategy they have followed has put them in.

But then they would have people either picking it or the new Xbox up and if they went with stronger tech they would've had to have cut out the pad which gives them a less unique feature to compete with whatever Microsoft comes out with.

if they went with stronger tech they would've had to have cut out the pad which gives them a less unique feature to compete with whatever Microsoft comes out with.

People wont give diddly squat about that controller when they see the games on the PS4 and Xbox.

People would easily accept playing real,next gen looking Mario,Zelda,Metroid with a standard design controller, instead of having their games look like 2005 level gfx for the next 5yrs.

Blowing the development budget on that Ipad wannbe was just dumb...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Why?....

The philosophy of Nintendo is to build discrete, small systems. Unless they are releasing a 150W+ device like Sony and MS will, they wouldn't have parity even with second half of 2013 tech (x1.5 jump of current Wii U at best). If such a device was in the cards, then they should have released it last holidays instead. If would have offered a clear jump and still got them the head start. Releasing it at the same time, or short before, would have them competing for the spot on a with an even further devaluated brand. BTW, I believe Sony will suffer due this in the face of the NextBox massive marketing punch and brand push.

Pretty much the GC scenario, but now also losing the people who might like an small and discrete device.

eznark

Banned
Again, this was Nintendo telling its public to wait. - BAD NINTENDO

Microsoft and Sony prepare to unveil their next-generation consoles. THEY'RE TELLING US TO WAIT WOOOHOOOO

Top Bottom