• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor: “Why Sony Is About To Crush Microsoft All Over Again”

Kadayi

Banned
Can we just ban Forbes contributor articles?

Fuck off with this Ban Talk. I actually know Eric and he's a good dude and sincere in his opinions. Feel free to disagree with him, but know that he was one of the few people writing about games out there who wasn't buying into either the whole entitled gamer or gamergate narratives. when everyone pouring on the gasoline. You want to start banning sites wholesale, you're at the wrong forum.

Zero mentions of GamePass or xCloud? Also strange that he puts such a large emphasis on MS games going to PC when we have such strong rumors and evidence that Sony is doing the same thing.

Drewpee

Banned
Anyone who thinks the Xbox Series X is going to outsell the PS5 is not paying attention. I say that as someone who plans to buy a Series X day one with no intention of buying a PS5.

Microsoft will not sell more consoles than Sony. They may ultimately earn more revenue but they will not sell more consoles, that is a guarantee.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Microsoft is pulling a Nintendo...it's just getting out of direct competition with Sony. People will still make the comparisons, and Microsoft is being super cagey about saying anything about their classic opponent. Overall they are not interested in the war, not interested in their sales stats (or at least sharing them with us). It all about their platform...this intangible thing where people can buy their games anywhere and an Xbox is just one way to enjoy them at a cost much lower than PC.

Sony seems to following suit, albeit more focused on transitioning current and new players to the PS5, but not ignoring the cash cow that is PC.

GHG

Fuck off with this Ban Talk. I actually know Eric and he's a good dude and sincere in his opinions. Feel free to disagree with him, but know that he was one of the few people writing about games out there who wasn't buying into either the whole entitled gamer or gamergate narratives. when everyone pouring on the gasoline. You want to start banning sites wholesale, you're at the wrong forum.

It's nothing personal against your mate but the reality is that all we get from Forbes contributor articles are these trashfire fanboy opinion pieces.

And you're right, no need to ban anything, it would be better if people didn't post the stuff from forbes contributors as just "forbes" (or didn't post them at all :)) . Then there is no pretence that the article has more credibility than it actually does.

Kadayi

Banned
It's nothing personal against your mate but the reality is that all we get from Forbes contributor articles are these trashfire fanboy opinion pieces.

And you're right, no need to ban anything, it would be better if people didn't post the stuff from forbes contributors as just "forbes" (or didn't post them at all :)) . Then there is no pretence that the article has more credibility than it actually does.

If I saw actually saw some thought through counter-arguments as to what he's written from you I perhaps I'd perhaps give a shit what you think, but when your opener is simply a call to ban because apparently the idea that Xbox isn't all that is just that triggering it doesn't really feel like there's much need. Demonstrate some value with your next post and maybe I'll reassess.

As someones whose PC Master Race through and through and doesn't really have a dog in the race I don't find anything in what he said off-kilter, however at the same time I think MS isn't really looking at straight competition anymore now versus looking at facilitation and ubiquity as the gateways to their platform growth (and their true platform is game pass). Xbox has consistently struggled to gain much traction in Japan and other places and a lot of that comes down to people sticking with what they know at the end of the day. Brand loyalty is a tough nut to crack and more and more in a world of infinite distractions wanting to eat away at our time. The MS move in the regard makes a lot of sense because they've leveraging ease of use, but that naturally comes at the cost of platform equality in order to present a unified front.

Last edited:

GHG

when your opener is simply a call to ban because apparently the idea that Xbox isn't all that is just that triggering

tumblr_nn1nznruW41s9gsm7o1_r5_400.gifv

From now on I will wear my heart on my sleeve.

DanielsM

Banned
Agree. As a Sony fanboy, I can certainly admit that Spencer has done some good things at Xbox and made it much stronger to compete next gen.

Than why are sales still going down at an alarming rate? What would they be selling like 2 dozen units?

Everything he has rolled out has been met with more drastic reduction in sales.

Last edited:

Dargor

I was gonna say something about Forbes and contributors, but I was too late, everything has been said already it seems.

Nevertheless, we'll know how things will go when these consoles are out and about.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
Stupid article, MS will crush themselves once they launch 2 Xbox consoles this fall.

Lets be real, most of the consumers are un-informed and will go for the cheaper version. I got down-voted and called a moron for suggest/informing people to get XboxOneX over an S as it is a better long term this investment, has 4k uhd player over at RFDs here in Canada. (RFD = RedFlagDeals)

TLDR but isn't it obvious that subscriptions are the future? how many subscription services are you signed up for? If you're like me, more than you'd like admit LOL

Do we really think that Playstation doesn't realize this? Is it because they've become "ArrogantSony" again?!?! OMG not ArrgantSony. BTW the way some ppl talk in here it's like they're the only one's who have been arrogant. We don't know what Sony's plans are for next gen, when it comes to subscriptions, but based on HISTORY... PS is willing to emulate a winning strategy. They did it with PSN plus! Have we forgotten that PSN plus is a thing? Don't they have like over 36Million subs. It's been a very successful subscription service for them.

If it comes to it, I think PS will be willing to emulate GamePass. If that happens, what then? You know pay one low price for ALL the Playstation Exclusives... who's gonna say no to that? I mean, if you're into PS exclusives.

DanielsM

Banned
TLDR but isn't it obvious that subscriptions are the future? how many subscription services are you signed up for? If you're like me, more than you'd like admit LOL

Do we really think that Playstation doesn't realize this? Is it because they've become "ArrogantSony" again?!?! OMG not ArrgantSony. BTW the way some ppl talk in here it's like they're the only one's who have been arrogant. We don't know what Sony's plans are for next gen, when it comes to subscriptions, but based on HISTORY... PS is willing to emulate a winning strategy. They did it with PSN plus! Have we forgotten that PSN plus is a thing? Don't they have like over 36Million subs. It's been a very successful subscription service for them.

If it comes to it, I think PS will be willing to emulate GamePass. If that happens, what then? You know pay one low price for ALL the Playstation Exclusives... who's gonna say no to that? I mean, if you're into PS exclusives.

In gaming that hasn't been the case, probably the most successful video game subscription is EA Access only 3m users at $30-50m, this barely even is a footnote in their financial quarterly. What gamers have been willing to pay for on consoles is online access i.e. Xbox Live Gold and PS Plus, other than that.... services really haven't done well... although one could consider a monthly fee for say WoW as maybe the exception to the rule.

They might experiment but doubtful it would work long term.... media is mostly front-loaded in revenue. Digital download sales offers the most ROI.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Than why are sales still going down at an alarming rate? What would they be selling like 2 dozen units?

Everything he has rolled out has been met with more drastic reduction in sales.
Well I don't agree with everything that he's done but he has acquired quite a few studios and branched off into PC also... for MS this makes sense since they have business interest in the PC platform.

For Sony / PlayStation it doesn't make sense to port to PC because they have no skin in that game. They are the king of the living room and should be aiming to add more exclusives and large studios / publishers / content to the PlayStation platform to increase its desirability and sales potential.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's not like selling HW without "engagement" is something profitable, I am fairly sure that everyone would rather took the easy way of streaming, if it would be possible and just sold you controller without loss. And Sony crushing Microsoft, wasn't Sony who has to sell some building to get some money out of it for dire financial situation? : D MS could easily buy Sony, wihout breaking a sweat : D

DanielsM

Banned
Well I don't agree with everything that he's done but he has acquired quite a few studios and branched off into PC also... for MS this makes sense since they have business interest in the PC platform.

For Sony / PlayStation it doesn't make sense to port to PC because they have no skin in that game. They are the king of the living room and should be aiming to add more exclusives and large studios / publishers / content to the PlayStation platform to increase its desirability and sales potential.

Well, it might make sense to port games to the PC, but they have basically close to zero chance as far as being a middleman on PC..... Games for Windows Live and MS Store.... bad as they get.

Phil promised years ago they would fix the Store... my question is why was it broken to start with?

I feel sorry for the people that buy off the MS Store about the same as people stupid enough to buy games on Stadia - not at all.

Last edited:
In gaming that hasn't been the case, probably the most successful video game subscription is EA Access only 3m users at $30-50m, this barely even is a footnote in their financial quarterly. What gamers have been willing to pay for on consoles is online access i.e. Xbox Live Gold and PS Plus, other than that.... services really haven't done well... although one could consider a monthly fee for say WoW as maybe the exception to the rule.

They might experiment but doubtful it would work long term.... media is mostly front-loaded in revenue. Digital download sales offers the most ROI.
What? How is EA Access a subscription and Live Gold and PS Plus not a subscription? You're making this way more complex than I intended it to be. I'm paying for access to something, it doesn't matter what it is... it's a subscription. In that case, EA Access has not been the most successful. Gold/Plus are much more successful. They both have 10's of millions of "subscribers" to their "service."

So they might be willing to experiment with a GamePass like subscriptions, but that won't work long-term? Do you think Gamepass will work long-term? Also, isn't GamePass a digital download service? I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

Kumomeme

why buy an Xbox Series X when you could just have a gaming PC? The most sensible thing for consumers is a PS5 / gaming PC / Nintendo Switch combination. The Xbox just feels redundant at this point

well this is the importance of exclusive..what Nintendo and Sony does is good example....even netflix, disney+, hbo also had their own, pour their money making exclusive content for a reason....from begining MS should held back certain(not all) game remain exclusive to xbox one or atleast timed exclusive (something sony should avoided in future if they seriously want release game on pc)...like how rockstar always does release pc version late...make it timed exclusive or permanent + with gamepass model could helped boosted xbox sales

the reason people buy console is to play game..but if same game also available on pc, why bother to buy the console..whats important is sofware/content...not hardware power..history already prove this many time over and over again since ps2 days....

i repeat this many times at various place but some people end up labeling me as 'sony fanboys' (not nintendo) instead LOL

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
well this is the importance of exclusive..what Nintendo and Sony does is good example....even netflix, disney+, hbo also had their own, pour their money making exclusive content for a reason....from begining MS should held back certain(not all) game remain exclusive to xbox one or atleast timed exclusive (something sony should avoided in future if they seriously want release game on pc)...like how rockstar always does release pc version late...make it timed exclusive or permanent + with gamepass model could helped boosted xbox sales

the reason people buy console is to play game..but if same game also available on pc, why bother to buy the console..whats important is sofware/content...not hardware power..history already prove this many time over and over again since ps2 days....

i repeat this many times at various place but some people end up labeling me as 'sony fanboys' (not nintendo) instead LOL

Because not everyone wants to game on a PC. If that was the case the S/X wouldn’t sell at all, but that isn’t the case.

Kumomeme

Because not everyone wants to game on a PC. If that was the case the S/X wouldn’t sell at all, but that isn’t the case.

these 'everyone' still larger install base than console

and i never said it wouldn't sell at all..it still gonna sell, but could affect the number and it will affect consumer buying decision

Pallas

Gold Member
these 'everyone' still larger install base than console

and i never said it wouldn't sell at all..it still gonna sell, but could affect the number and it will affect consumer buying decision

Is it? The biggest audience is the casual audience, they probably aren’t going to buy a PC gaming rig and I doubt their Walmart laptop/desktop chalk full of shovelware are going to pull it off. Not to mention and probably a bit off topic but the S/X also doubles as a UHD Blu-ray player.

I’m an honest believer that Xbox’s play anywhere feature had little affect on their sales. There were a lot bigger issues that affected sales.

magnumpy

platform wars are stupid... everything should be playable on anything. walled gardens have purely business reasons to exist but they are bad for consumers. tick tock, the times are changing and your precious walled gardens will eventually be overtaken by the masses :lollipop_grinning:

Drewpee

Banned

I agree, Microsoft should make Minecraft a console exclusive.

nikolino840

Not for the exclusives..
Already three of my co-workers are not interested of ps5...and they have the ps4
One of them prefer mobile games
An other have said to me to think of the girls not consoles (when i have told to him that i"m saving Money for the next gen on the end of the year)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not for the exclusives..
Already three of my co-workers are not interested of ps5...and they have the ps4
An other have said to me to think of the girls not consoles (when i have told to him that i"m saving Money for the next gen on the end of the year)

Pack it up, boys and girls!

The age of Sony is done!

Jon Neu

Banned
Watching the actual state of Xbox is like watching the actual state of Barça; You know they have the potential to be the absolute best, but you also know that the people in charge are so dumb that they are going to embarass the brand once more by reaching new levels of stupidity and incompetence.

Woo-Fu

Banned
You just wait for voost kain where he will write a full novel of why xbox will crush playstation this gen.
I don't know, he spent the GNP of a small island nation on his Stadia gamble, might not have anything left in the tank for Microsoft.

Watching the actual state of Xbox is like watching the actual state of Barça; You know they have the potential to be the absolute best, but you also know that the people in charge are so dumb that they are going to embarass the brand once more by reaching new levels of stupidity and incompetence.
WELCOME BACK! :messenger_bicep: :messenger_bicep: :messenger_bicep:

GHG

This describes Arsenal, not Barcelona.

PocoJoe

Banned
Not for the exclusives..

your co-workers sound like morons.

"think girls, not x" mentality is most common among simple minded idiots whom see nothing else in the world than women. The same kind whom are always defending women in the hope of getting laid and saying things like "OMG you cant say NO to a lady, are you gay?!" if they hear that man refused offer for sex.

I guess it is difficult for some to understand that you can have hobbies and like girls in the same time. And many times they are people whom then waste their time to be drunk and watch sports, like that would be better because it is "more manly"

Are they also those kind of "gamers" that buy few games/gen, or just FIFA?

Fuck them, nobody forces them to buy ps5 but it is silly to "bully" you to think girls instead of having a hobby lol.

Banned
forbes contributor? more like forbitch

aside from that no matter who are winning the gen just give me moar games and healthy business model, not such as GAAS or netflix of the gaming bullshit

lock2k

Banned
In my point of view, Microsoft had a strong chance to become a true contender (in terms of actually competing with Sony in terms of sales and brand recognition worldwide) during the 360 generation. However, they fucked in up real bad at the end of the generation (too much kinect, lack of good first party games versus a time when Sony was releasing several quality exclusives, like them or not) and then, the Don Mattrick nail on the coffin happened. I still like Xbox very much (as I do like Playstation) but those fuckups paired with the strong name Playstation has worldwide will always make Microsoft be second to Sony even if they get a lot of it right next generation. I'm always interested in owning all consoles because I love to eat the whole cake if possible, but casual fans are like "I like PS, I will buy the next PS always, every generation" whereas I never had much of an allegiance to Sony or Microsoft because I'm from the Sega/Nintendo time and I flocked to the console that had the most content I was interested in (and not a lot of them were exclusives).

So, yes, even if you shill for one or another, Sony will always trump Microsoft's sales worldwide.

Top Bottom