• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: "Nintendo Direct - promises, promises"

Nintendo treated the Wii U launch differently, demonstrating only titles that would be out within the launch window (through March as they stated). They obviously felt the need to push back their software to Spring and Summer for what I assume to be because they didn't meet "Nintendo" quality (like Iwata said). They are now going about showing their road map. It could be reactionary, or they could have planned this event way before. We don't know, not even you.

No argument there.

You suggesting loosing their core customers is the better plan? Or am I missing something?

He's suggesting fanboys will never leave. The core, however, did. This ND wasn't directed at fanboys. It was directed at core gamers that left long ago after the Wii came out. That's the audience Nintendo desperately needs if they want to succeed with a comparatively underpowered, undersupported console.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
My only problem with articles like these are that they apparently believe Nintendo should be responsible for every piece of software on the system. They can only develop so many titles at once.

Wynnebeck

Banned
You suggesting loosing their core customers is the better plan? Or am I missing something?

Yeah you missed it. Just from the reaction Nintendo fans gave here on NeoGAF, Nintendo wont have a problem with the core but the core will only take them so far. They want that casual demographic that sent them to Heaven last Gen. So far, the Wii U is not setting things on fire like the Wii.

racerx77

Banned
"Will they still be interested?" LOLZ... Nope. They won't. They want it RIGHT THIS SECOND. What a ridiculous thing to say.

Mr E.

I'm getting the impression game sites/journalists are getting there nose out of joint with these Nintendo Directs. Even Eurogamer, I site I generally like has put out some sarcastic comments on the big N's news. I suppose its there job to break news, not others.

Are they saying that Nintendo could be lying with the "promises" comment ?

I found it quite humbling to watch Iwata apologise in person to the unforgiving Masses.
True, he apologised over the 3DS too and took a load of backlash then also.

It seems as though your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

For what it's worth I appreciated today's Nintendo direct and I didn't come away with the feeling of empty promises.

Sandfox

Yeah you missed it. Just from the reaction Nintendo fans gave here on NeoGAF, Nintendo wont have a problem with the core but the core will only take them so far. They want that casual demographic that sent them to Heaven last Gen. So far, the Wii U is not setting things on fire like the Wii.

All they can really do is make games that appeal to a casual audience and that's what they are doing but whether they still want these games is what we're going to have to wait and see.

I'll assume this includes the rest of my statements as well. :\

Bad assumption. =)

Rather than go back and forth, I thought it best to let it die. We obviously have different opinions. I do want to ensure you that I wasn't being rude to that other guy. I just wanted to make sure I was responding to what he truly felt without guessing.

All they can really do is make games that appeal to a casual audience and that's what they are doing but whether they still want these games is what we're going to have to wait and see.
They have to do more,they have to actively attract casuals.Casuals are as fickle as a 13 year old girl they'll forget you as soon as something new comes along.

javac

Nearly every terrible decision in Other M was on Nintendo's end.

It wasn't really a bad game, just a bad Metroid game. And even then, mechanics wise and graphically it was fine, it's just the story. If that's the lowest a Nintendo game Will ever go, we're in safe hands :p

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Bad assumption. =)

Rather than go back and forth, I thought it best to let it die. We obviously have different opinions. I do want to ensure you that I wasn't being rude to that other guy. I just wanted to make sure I was responding to what he truly felt without guessing.

After you cleared it up, I read it differently. I don't think you were being rude.

And I guess to end this difference, I'll just say that with Nintendo's new "Direct" way of making announcements, the way they present will obviously be different than when they only had Space World and E3 to make announcements (due to the lack social media). Now they can do whatever they want, so it might naturally feel like a "knee-jerk reaction," when instead they had planned material over time to accumulate in order to dominate videogame media for the last week of January.... for example.

Times change, but I swear to you... what was different about the Wii U launch was the severe LACK of information we had. This makes up for it. 0_o

Nilaul

Im never ever buying or reading edge again.

Edge philosophy:
"Nintendo hardly pays us, lets start bullshit anti-propaganda against them".

No argument there.

He's suggesting fanboys will never leave. The core, however, did. This ND wasn't directed at fanboys. It was directed at core gamers that left long ago after the Wii came out. That's the audience Nintendo desperately needs if they want to succeed with a comparatively underpowered, undersupported console.

Nintendo fans such as myself, or Nintendo's core audience, which is made up of a diverse group of people with an eclectic taste, buy Nintendo products that we are interested in and pass on ones were are not. Its true, watch... Eww Kirby games! Modern Zelda is a boring puzzle fest.

If they stop putting out products that live up to Nintendo's core standards then they move elsewhere. So its very important that they are kept happy.

Now what I think you saying is, other then Nintendo fans are drones who cant possible tell a good product from a bad one, is that this ND was directed exclusively at guys on the internet who call themselves hardcore and who's gaming tastes predominantly involve male power fantasies. (not knocking these games, half my election is made up of them)
I don't agree with you here, I think that ND was directed at all sorts of gaming enthusiasts.

So it is important to entice the "hardcore" (which is a sizeable chunk of enthusiast gamers) into buying the wii it is equally important if not more important to keep their core audience (an equally large chunk of enthusiast gamers).

Just so their is no confusion I'm using Nintendo core audience in this sense "the type of people who are most likely to buy a particular product, watch a particular TV programme"

I don't have a Wii U yet, and granted the other consoles haven't technically even been announced yet, but if E3 breaks down as being Nintendo's second generation of Wii U software (Smash, Bayo, 3D Mario, Xeno 6, SMT x FE) VS the kind of garbage that usually accompanies a new hardware launch, I'm going to side with Nintendo.

On account of I care about games, and not hardware, or business models, or services.

I'll honestly be surprised if the best "launch" games next gen are anything other than polished up versions of stuff that comes out at the end of PS3/360 (I'm thinking Dark Souls 2 and Fallout 4 specifically)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They're just bitter Nintendo decided to disrupt gaming journalism with the creation and development of Nintendo Direct and Iwata Asks.

As long as Nintendo continues to be a big part of gaming's culture, these websites and publications are bound to lose a significant share of buyers. They were talking sht anyway, so it doesn't make a lot of difference trying to reason with them or not. Might as well get your own thing going.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Its ok for sony to show off logos, engine tech demos etc for vita but not ok for nintendo to show off concepts and videos for games

Got it

Wynnebeck

Banned
They're just bitter Nintendo decided to disrupt gaming journalism with the creation and development of Nintendo Direct and Iwata Asks.

As long as Nintendo continues to be a big part of gaming's culture, these websites and publications are bound to lose a significant share of buyers. They were talking sht anyway, so it doesn't make a lot of difference trying to reason with them or not. Might as well get your own thing going.

Its ok for sony to show off logos, engine tech demos etc for vita but not ok for nintendo to show off concepts and videos for games

Got it

Are people actually reading the article or just getting bitter from the little snippet?

mujun

I agree with the article.

I've definitely gone from thinking that my Wii U is a waste of money to thinking that I'll probably enjoy a handful of games over the year but I'm still a ways off believing that I'll spend sustained amounts of time with it.

That definitely wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for a bunch of other hardware probably hitting this year.

Now what I think you saying is, other then Nintendo fans are drones who cant possible tell a good product from a bad one, is that this ND was directed exclusively at guys on the internet who call themselves hardcore and who's gaming tastes predominantly involve male power fantasies. (not knocking these games, half my election is made up of them)
I don't agree with you here, I think that ND was directed at all sorts of gaming enthusiasts.

When I was saying core gamers, I meant people like me. People that have gamed all their lives and will do so regardless of console. People that saw Nintendo release another underpowered console built around a gimmick with horrible third party support. I'm saying Nintendo aimed their ND at us today. It had nothing to do with "male power fantasies". I'm a core gamer that loves puzzle games. I would have loved to have seen a new Panel de Pon shown today.

Whenever the press latches onto a narrative, like the impending doom of all consoles or whatever, I fucking hate it. It is always pretty awesome when their predictions don't come to pass.

What a strange article, would it have been better if Nintendo promised nothing?

Better would be to have delivered something. The article is merely pointing out that Nintendo is struggling right now and their only answer is promises. It's accurate. They probably knew it would also generate a ton of hits from regular folks, people who want to point and laugh at Nintendo, and Nintendo fans that seemingly can't handle the truth. On the other hand, you have IGN with a completely contrary article stating NINTENDO IS SAVED!!!! Are the people complaining about the Edge article also up in arms over IGN making a declaration after nothing more than announcements? IGN most likely posted their story for the same reason as Edge. Hits. And because its January and game companies appear to think that we won't buy games in January, so news is slow.

When I was saying core gamers, I meant people like me. People that have gamed all their lives and will do so regardless of console. People that saw Nintendo release another underpowered console built around a gimmick with horrible third party support. I'm saying Nintendo aimed their ND at us today. It had nothing to do with "male power fantasies". I'm a core gamer that loves puzzle games. I would have loved to have seen a new Panel de Pon shown today.

So people who's taste and opinions match Baconsammy's, ok. I don't agree with you that this ND was directed at just the Baconsammies of the world.

Raxus

What a strange article, would it have been better if Nintendo promised nothing?

Certainly gives new meaning to this:
68.gif

If anything I kind of fear next gen consoles because the games tend to suffer for it. It is nice to see a whole wave of games that aren't FPS related.

So people who's taste and opinions match Baconsammy's, ok. I don't agree with you that this ND was directed at just the Baconsammies of the world.

Who else would it be directed at? My mom who bought a Wii for Wii sports? For Nintendo fanboys? They're buying one regardless, or already have. I never said it's for people with my taste and opinions. You pulled that bit of nonsense from thin air. I said people like me that consider everything when making decisions. Price, competency, games, third party support etc.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Why are you being obtuse and not seeing what he is saying? Nintendo is trying to grab the "core" group that is now playing games on the PS360 as well as the "casuals" from last gen. It has nothing to do with "Oh you're hating on Nintendo! You're a fanboy!"

Allard

This. Everything's amazing and nobody's happy

People don't want promises of 'future' games, people want promises of games that will be released within a years cycle or at least close, that is Nintendo's biggest concern at the moment for Wii U. Perhaps that wasn't what they intended with this Nintendo direct and maybe they are saving it for another one closer to E3, but it is a dutiful concern that has in no way been alleviated by this event and to a lot of people (including myself and this article) this direct shows that maybe they really don't have the necessary resources to fill the 3rd party support gap they have. Some of us want to know we are getting something for our money and not vague "it will come when it comes". I honestly have zero faith in Nintendo's ability to adapt HD development pipeline considering how much the other Japanese studios have struggled this gen which is why I want something more concrete then 'in development'.

Kunan

So when a bunch of trailers for games with no dates are possibly announced at E3, no one will bat an eye right?

Did everyone suddenly forget the game industry today? First announcements with no solid dates are pretty darn common. Where was the "CD Projekt is only giving out promises" comments when their latest trailer came out?

Is a double standard ok just cause people are mad about their current lineup?

farnham

Banned

People like you are probably 1% or less of the gaming population and even less counting the whole population. Ninteneo is aiming at a mass audience not a small portion of people that have already decided on sony or ms before seing what they have to offer.

People like you are probably 1% or less of the gaming population and even less counting the whole population. Ninteneo is aiming at a mass audience not a small portion of people that have already decided on sony or ms before seing what they have to offer.

You don't aim at a mass audience with a Nintendo Direct. You do that with actual marketing. This was aimed at core gamers like me.

farnham

Banned
People don't want promises of 'future' games, people want promises of games that will be released within a years cycle or at least close, that is Nintendo's biggest concern at the moment for Wii U. Perhaps that wasn't what they intended with this Nintendo direct and maybe they are saving it for another one closer to E3, but it is a dutiful concern that has in no way been alleviated by this event and to a lot of people (including myself and this article) this direct shows that maybe they really don't have the necessary resources to fill the 3rd party support gap they have. Some of us want to know we are getting something for our money and not vague "it will come when it comes". I honestly have zero faith in Nintendo's ability to adapt HD development pipeline considering how much the other Japanese studios have struggled this gen which is why I want something more concrete then 'in development'.

So what are they supposed to do? Not announce anything like a month ago?

People will bitch if they dont announce stuff
People will bitch if they announce stuff

Best way for them to make "hardcore gamers" happy is to stop making games and going back to making hanafuda cards and running love hotels.
You don't aim at a mass audience with a Nintendo Direct. You do that with actual marketing. This was aimed at core gamers like me.

Yeah you wish. Nintendo announced pokemon xy a few weeks ago on nintendo direct. Hardly a hardcore only announcement like you claim. But hey guess they were succesful to give you the impression that they care about you

I really don't understand the insatiable hunger for new games. When one is released the gaze quickly turns to the next one. Wishing our lives away!

And don't forget that new games are not necessarily better than those gone before.

Relax... play some of the backlog, or some retro, and be pleasantly surprised when a bonafide new classic appears.

Post of the thread. IMHO

one_kill

I really don't understand the insatiable hunger for new games. When one is released the gaze quickly turns to the next one. Wishing our lives away!

And don't forget that new games are not necessarily better than those gone before.

Relax... play some of the backlog, or some retro, and be pleasantly surprised when a bonafide new classic appears.
Yeah, I agree.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Should have done this long ago, I'm putting you on ignore list. It's not that what you say has no merit, but I'm on this board to enjoy my passion with enthusiastic gamers, and you are quite the opposite of that in Nintendo threads.

Kunan

Good, this will help you throught January and February. ANd what's march? Ah yes! Wario Ware.

Of course those games are coming, what would have been nice is to at least have some feedback about them.
So a huge title was supposed to have been announced for february? I don't understand what you expected out of this event. They just updated monhunter, lego city, rayman with new media the other day and dates the other week.

Yes, the releases are a bit thin right now. No, there was no way that it was suddenly going to be fixed within the next couple weeks.

ElFly

Turns out that if you don't give the exclusive news to the magazines, they will get pissy about you.

Oh well, print media is also dying.

Top Bottom