• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

stryke

Lol, alright fellas, I know I started it but I think we've had enough fun with this guy. Should probably leave it alone now and stop derailing.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
people will start to understand the Xbox One, what the digital push actually meant for gamers and how it will be to their benefit.

So his job is prepping XBone owners for a reintroduction of DRM, always online, etc in 3-4 years.

Skeff

So his job is prepping XBone owners for a reintroduction of DRM, always online, etc in 3-4 years.

They said I was crazy when i said that would happen....

But errm yes, back on topic:

PS4 is the stronger console which is easier to develop for and will get the best multiplats

I'm actually getting tired of saying it, but we should all know it by now.

highrider

Banned
RINEMY.png

Ha, oh wow..

wow...dat rinemy reddit post. KZ SF comparable to resistence at PS3 launch?

If that is true, can you just imagine what PS4 games are going to look like at the end of the generation? Holy shit!

I am curious to know the number of MS shills vs. Sony shills that have been banned here.

Bish?

vpance

With a little time I could probably write a search algo to calculate someone's shill factor.

-Starts out post with a salutation, 20 pts
-Mentions both consoles are similar in performance, 10 pts
-Mentions they are going to buy both anyways 8 pts

Adding to this list:

-Has a twitter account in the same name with no profile pic, tweeting shill like things, 50 pts

Oh man...I had to. The one on Titanfall is amazing. Just a few lines:

http://www.reddit.com/user/rinemie

Bish, I may never forgive you for banning this poster. We may have finally had another Doom Bringer-level poster on these boards. I feel you've deprived us all many hundreds of hours of entertainment.

At first I thought. "Nonsense know one can replace doom bringer" but after reading those links I think we had a real contender here.

Facism

man wish i could get paid to be a fool.

Doombringer, was he the sparks guy? I think i remember him from the resistance 1 thread complaining that there wasn't enough sparks in the game, so he photoshopped a screenshot and added them in

I hope that MS can turn it around, because I'm a fan of games--any major games company fucking up is bad for gaming. It's going to take time for MS to regain the ground they've lost, but damn am I excited for that journey!
I hope they can too, because I'm also excited to see these two go to war, this time minus the one year head start. It's a nice, even playing field, so the competition is bound to benefit consumers.

Also: why is it that these companies let power/success go to their heads? Don't they learn from the competition's mistakes (Sony launching with a $600 PS3, Nintendo upping the 3DS price to $250, and then Microsoft with anti-consumer policies after the success of 360)? Get a grip, guys!

Indeed. It's crazy to see how differently this has worked out than some people's expectations preceding these consoles' announcements. The overwhelming belief back then was that Sony wouldn't manage to create a better gaming machine than Microsoft. This perspective was quite reasonable, as MS had built up a lot of goodwill over the intervening console generation (minus some discontent at their increased focus on Kinect titles).

Then came the massive MS meltdown. Everyone saw a humbled Sony's vision for the future paired against a suddenly massively anti-consumer Microsoft. I know I was absolutely nonplussed. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen so many policy reversals prior to a product's launch.

Now we've arrived at a point where gamer sentiment has largely shifted against Microsoft, while Sony seem to be in the good graces of many. A point where it seems that Sony's console is not only more powerful, but also easier to develop for. A point where their console is actually CHEAPER, something that I know I certainly didn't predict (just look at old prediction threads for kicks). It's amazing how much things can change in a few months; I certainly wouldn't have put any money down on such an outcome.

It has to be a hard time to be a staunch Xbox fan, likely to the same degree that it was for Sony fans in 2006. I'd imagine that if you loved the experiences you had with that brand, you could feel compelled to defend it, like many would reasonably want to do for their hobbies. Just looking at a scattering of other forums (like N4G), it's sad to see how disheartened some posters are by the lack of good news on the Xbox front. Just as it was in 2006 with Sony fans.

The issue with this shift is that it has left several posters with no recourse but to claim that certain forums are unfairly biased against their console of choice. The problem with that line of thinking is that it implies that this sentiment against MS is unearned. It isn't, just like the discontent with Sony was also warranted in 2006.

I hope that MS can turn it around, because I'm a fan of games--any major games company fucking up is bad for gaming. It's going to take time for MS to regain the ground they've lost, but damn am I excited for that journey! I believe that a MS that is aggressively trying to win back the gaming community is more likely to increase their output, resulting in more games on the market. Any value that they decide to add to patch the wound is just icing on the cake.

^ this post, and the Rinemie stuff have made me very glad I dropped back in this thread to see what was going on.

avaya

man wish i could get paid to be a fool.

Doombringer, was he the sparks guy? I think i remember him from the resistance 1 thread complaining that there wasn't enough sparks in the game, so he photoshopped a screenshot and added them in

Sparks and incest.

The issue with this shift is that it has left several posters with no recourse but to claim that certain forums are unfairly biased against their console of choice. The problem with that line of thinking is that it implies that this sentiment against MS is unearned. It isn't, just like the discontent with Sony was also warranted in 2006.

This whole post, and this particular point, is excellent. Well done sir.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
They said I was crazy when i said that would happen....

But errm yes, back on topic:

PS4 is the stronger console which is easier to develop for and will get the best multiplats

I'm actually getting tired of saying it, but we should all know it by now.

And is 100 dollars cheaper.

Zemm

Oh man...I had to. The one on Titanfall is amazing. Just a few lines:

If you want an idea of what Killzone: Shadowfall looked like... let's say it looked similar to that of Resistance 2 (PS3) Textures weren't as smooth and had rough edges on the enviroment on things such as plants and palm trees. With that being said, this is a PC build so know the expectations might change.

My first titan fall experience: I'm an atheist/agnostic person but lets say when my Titan landed I had a moment to myself where it felt like Jesus had returned

http://www.reddit.com/user/rinemie

Bish, I may never forgive you for banning this poster. We may have finally had another Doom Bringer-level poster on these boards. I feel you've deprived us all many hundreds of hours of entertainment.

Utterly shameless. Fuck off MS shills.

nib95

Banned
Can the mods comment on how many of these kinds of shills they catch from Sony and Nintendo? Because lately the vast majority seem to be from Microsoft. Desperate and shady much? Or are they just getting ousted more publicly?

velociraptor

"This game is no joke

There is no question this game looks better than any of the PS4 launch titles

If you want an idea of what Killzone: Shadowfall looked like... let's say it looked similar to that of Resistance 2 (PS3) Textures weren't as smooth and had rough edges on the enviroment on things such as plants and palm trees. With that being said, this is a PC build so know the expectations might change.

My first titan fall experience: I'm an atheist/agnostic person but lets say when my Titan landed I had a moment to myself where it felt like Jesus had returned"
I laughed.

velociraptor

Can the mods comment on how many of these kinds of shills they catch from Sony and Nintendo? Because lately the vast majority seem to be from Microsoft. Desperate and shady much? Or are they just getting ousted more publicly?
Social media is probably the easiest way for marketers to try and attempt to sway public opinion. Given the negativity the Xbox One has experienced, as well as the notion that it is weaker than the PS4, it's no surprise most of the shills are seemingly traced back to Microsoft.

Funny.. I've noticed an interesting trend a couple of months ago where it seemed that a large majority of people who kept making drive by posts about the amazing DRM policies that Microsoft introduced happened to be junior members.

Or I remember in one thread, someone made the "But have you seen TitanFall joke" and it was about 4 or 5 junior members who quoted the poster telling him to stop.

It can't just be a coincidence.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Funny.. I've noticed an interesting trend a couple of months ago where it seemed that a large majority of people who kept making drive by posts about the amazing DRM policies that Microsoft introduced happened to be junior members.

Or I remember in one thread, someone made the "But have you seen TitanFall joke" and it was about 4 or 5 junior members who quoted the poster telling him to stop.

It can't just be a coincidence.

I swear they have a script. "The difference won't be that big", "I plan on getting both", "PC is more powerful anyway", and "the term XBone is offensive" seem to come up so many times in the posts of the ones that get culled.

highrider

Banned
I swear they have a script. "The difference won't be that big", "I plan on getting both", "PC is more powerful anyway", and "the term XBone is offensive" seem to come up so many times in the posts of the ones that get culled.

I can't help but think the net effect of companies that engage in this is ultimately negative. It's always so ham-fisted and obvious.

It's 9% and it gives exactly 9% more cycles for devs to use. What they do with it, I don't know, but giving PC benchmarks is useless.

We don't know the PS4 CPU clock speed, nor do we know the OS reservation on PS4. So we can't really say which console will have a CPU advantage until we have this information.

they do. Talking points between shills have always been oddly coordinated, using the same talking points in the exact same way. Remember when DRM was still a thing, and they all tried the "it's just like steam!" defense?

they didn't all come up with that nonsense on their own.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Giving out those sort of numbers isn't the point of this thread, but I will share this much - it's a landslide in exactly the ratio you would expect.

NOW BACK TO THE MUSIC

Wynnebeck

Banned
Giving out those sort of numbers isn't the point of this thread, but I will share this much - it's a landslide in exactly the ratio you would expect.

NOW BACK TO THE MUSIC

and it was known.

I will ask this question and hopefully it will be a civil discussion point, but how will companies like Activision deal with PS4 being stronger and running games that are associated with the Xbox brand better than their own partner? I know we've had this discussion in another thread, but realistically can we expect. I know I hate the series, but playing CoD: Ghosts with KZ and BF4 has me hard as hell.

BigDug13

The PC is more powerful retort is not even relevant to consoles

And it's not even fully accurate. Every PS4 owner will have an exact performance benchmark. While maybe 1% or less of all PC owners will have hardware specs that match or exceed the PS4 on day 1. So yes, the PC CAN have the greatest performance, especially as the generation gets older, but to emphatically say "The PC version is the best" rests squarely on the shoulders of the individual PC owners and the hardware they've purchased.

As a PC gamer, I personally cannot play these games at the same level that the PS4 will play them. Maybe in a few years if I choose to buy another gaming laptop or something. So for ME on the day the PS4 comes out, the PC version of these games will NOT be the better version.

(But besides graphics and hardware, the PC version will technically still be better because it has guaranteed backward compatibility to ensure that when I do eventually get new hardware, 10 years down the road for example, the game will be able to look insanely good and run at 120 fps and probably have player-made mods such as higher res textures and 4k resolution support, so the legacy improvement of older games ensures that eventually the PC version still comes out on top due to ever-increasing hardware combined with infinite backward compatibility.)

Perkel

Banned
and it was known.

I will ask this question and hopefully it will be a civil discussion point, but how will companies like Activision deal with PS4 being stronger and running games that are associated with the Xbox brand better than their own partner? I know we've had this discussion in another thread, but realistically can we expect. I know I hate the series, but playing CoD: Ghosts with KZ and BF4 has me hard as hell.

Nothing.
They will just see who will sell most consoles and go with winner. This is buisness not some forum war. Activision only worked with MS because COD sold a lot more on Xbox360. If Ghost will sell more on PS4 they will cut ties and go along with Sony.

People expecting some hardware allegiance from publishers are the same people expecting exclusives from thirdparty studios.

One thing we can be certain is that Nintendo probably won't move much consoles and they will release their next console in 2-3 years just like they did with Wii after Gamecube failure and if they are smart they will buff up specs to get "best experience on" sign and get developers and publishers onboard. Right now ship has sailed and without UBI supporting them it would be already dead. I

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I actually know almost nothing about shilling and paid shills but it would seem intuitive to me that Microsoft is just so much better at it. First, you have Nintendo. I'm not sure they know the internet exists. Second, you have Sony, who has not put together a smart advertising campaign since 1999. They have almost no "community management" staff posting publicly on boards and on FaceBook and Twitter and they're just generally incompetent. Sony tried viral marketing with the PSP and actually got caught.

And then you have Microsoft.

So I have to say to me this is entirely logical, but again I have no idea.

beast786

I actually know almost nothing about shilling and paid shills but it would seem intuitive to me that Microsoft is just so much better at it. First, you have Nintendo. I'm not sure they know the internet exists. Second, you have Sony, who has not put together a smart advertising campaign since 1999. They have almost no "community management" staff posting publicly on boards and on FaceBook and Twitter and they're just generally incompetent. Sony tried viral marketing with the PSP and actually got caught.

And then you have Microsoft.

So I have to say to me this is entirely logical, but again I have no idea.

LMAO , you owe me a new keyboard

ypo

They are simply parroting what their leaders are saying here and on the internet.

Well, I guess these "community managers" have it hard these days. My condolences to them. If they keep getting banned and lose their jobs, who are going to feed their children? Think of the children people!!!

"This game is no joke

There is no question this game looks better than any of the PS4 launch titles

My first titan fall experience: I'm an atheist/agnostic person but lets say when my Titan landed I had a moment to myself where it felt like Jesus had returned"
I laughed.
EmJQIzU.gif

Top Bottom