• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

I'm sorry that peoples' lack of understanding of our team works, gets translated into me being disingenuous.

OF COURSE we have a 3rd party team that works very closely with publishers.

That team is organizationally separate from the rest of us. Why? Because that team deals with very sensitive information. Remember, we are both a competitor and a partner to our publishers.

To preserve that balance, our 3rd party team isn't in the habit of doling out information to the rest of the team, including me, whenever we want. I don’t get to walk over there and see whatever I want, or get these types of questions answered because of my position.

So what do you want to be true? That I can walk over and get any piece of information I want about any 3rd party game? Or that the IP of our partners is secured organizationally so publishers are confident that what they share with that team remains confidential?

Because the latter part is true. So yes, a lot of these details I will get near the same time the game actually ships.

So let's use some common sense. Almost nobody that works on Xbox knows details of 3rd party games besides that team.

I apologize then

Clearly I misunderstood where you sit within the xbox side of things

I've always meant to ask, what is the job description for your title?

What does it actually encompass?

Iacobellis

Makes perfect sense. Provides a dedicated team/data room that makes third parties feel secure with confidential information they are providing to MS.

You see a lot of stuff like this regularly in business. A bit like how THQ is suing EA for breach of their confidential information that they provided EA in their data room.

But how does Albert not know it? He seems to go into great lengths about the XB1 hardware on here.

Yeah I'm serious. I'm serious cause if he doesn't have that information and he is a prominent figure at Xbox then how does he expect us to have it? Think about what your saying. The only reason he asked for those specs is to make a point that XB1 and PS4 have pretty much the same resolution on multiplatform games. So more power to him for making that point. But claiming he can't get that information when he obviously wants it is disingenuous

Some people can be quite the conspiracy theorists.

Let's put this MUCH more simply.

Remember when GAF did that console comparison chart a few months ago? With all the features, services, and accessories of both platforms? It was really good. Balanced, looked at a lot of different points across both systems.

It was well done. And because the community generated it, it was considered fair and unbiased.

I was simply asking if the same thing existed keeping track of the myriad of articles, rumors, and updates across both platforms. If there was considered a source of truth for this information, I just wanted to see it.

I tried to re-create it, but ran into the same problem - there's not a lot of good data available.

It wasn't really that important.

There's no need to read any more into it, because there isn't any more to it.

Skeff

I dunno, i necessarily dont think its up to him either to reveal exactly what the performances are on yet to be released 3rd party games. They work with 3rd party as partners, they cant just spill out any info they want on those games just cause joe blow on neogaf wants to know.

Then perhaps he should not have brought up the subject himself? The post I made is a direct response to one of Alberts tweets. This conversation regarding resolution was initiated by Albert. If he cannot discuss it, then he should not begin a discussion about it.

EDIT: Albert does not know or cannot share ay information regarding this matter, we are where we are in the comparison phase and will only move forward when we near release.

Jack_AG

Banned
Let me get this right, you are telling me that the Director of Product Planning is not privy to the resolution/framerate information for third party games, despite these topics being discussed with news organizations/websites?

Well.. I understand in a business not everyone has information to everything nor can everyone attain information to everything. There is some compartmentalization happening buuuuut - when websites get news on things like resolution, framerate, as you suggest, it does raise some concern we can't get anything concrete from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Personally, I believe he is doing what he can to keep any negatives or drawbacks of system performance from public light. It is not out of the ordinary to take that stance. Disingenuous in a technical discussion, yes. From a PR perspective, no.

Many of us just want the info flat-out so we can make our judgement calls on buying multiplatform games on the system that runs them the best as we have this past gen. Some clarification other than word-of-mouth-word-of-mouth-some-dude-at-an-expo-youtube-vid websites report would be a nice touch, tho.

Then perhaps he should not have brought up the subject himself? The post I made is a direct response to one of Alberts tweets. This conversation regarding resolution was initiated by Albert. If he cannot discuss it, then he should not begin a discussion about it.

I agree. I appreciate that hes here trying to communicate information but if i were him, i even wouldn't bother with this. If you want to convince people, do that with the games period.

*snip*

Or that the IP of our partners is secured organizationally so publishers are confident that what they share with that team remains confidential?

*snip*

This is actually a really common thing when a company has multiple high profile clients. Third parties want to work with the central company (MS/Sony) but they don't want anyone else to know what they know (Ubisoft vs. EA vs. MS Internal Studios).

I have to deal with the same thing with my employer, albeit in an entirely different field.

Perkel

Banned
Poor Albert.

People are ganging up on him trying to make him say obvious things where his job is here to promote Xbone and that doesn't fit well with his job to answer obvious things and confirm it.

Doing PR for weaker hardware and at the same time more expensive (especially after dat policies stunt) probably is nightmare job.

Also hint: It would be a lot better if you could do something with Astrosurfers. Because Astrosurfing on closed message board with good mod work means 1. It doesn't work 2. It creates hate toward company hiring those people

I dunno, i dont necessarily think its up to him either to reveal exactly what the performances are on yet to be released 3rd party games. They work with 3rd party as partners, they cant just spill out any info they want on those games just cause joe blow on neogaf wants to know.

I know of course not. But he's the one who's asking the question on twitter. He went on twitter and asked for a list of games and resolutions

Exactly

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Many of us just want the info flat-out so we can make our judgement calls on buying multiplatform games on the system that runs them the best as we have this past gen.

I don't buy for a second that this is the real reason why everyone is so keen for Albert to post resolution info.

Here let me save you the worry: PS4 versions will be better.

thekingff

Banned
Yeah I'm serious. I'm serious cause if he doesn't have that information and he is a prominent figure at Xbox then how does he expect us to have it? Think about what your saying. The only reason he asked for those specs is to make a point that XB1 and PS4 have pretty much the same resolution on multiplatform games. So more power to him for making that point. But claiming he can't get that information when he obviously wants it is disingenuous

Do you know if Sony has all of this information on all of the 3rd party games currently under development for the PS4? If not, is that ok? Do they get a pass?

Also, wanting and having are two totally different things. I want a million dollars but I don't have it... this doesn't make my desire to have a million dollars disingenuous. Sometimes I think you guys are just looking for a opportunity to try to stick it to MS, claiming lies or double talk without any facts to substantiate your own claims.

beast786

I have no idea how AP manages to motivate himself to reply to some of you lot. Jesus Christ.

how about this for motivation.

spinning-top.gif

Skeff

Indeed - but Forza has a lot more going on in it and that is 1080p.

I'd say DR3 has much more going on than Forza, the number of zombies is very high and that takes a significant amount of resources, if DR3 is in fact the same dynamic resolution as wipeout on PS3(1280-1920x1080), I would be quite impressed by that, Forza by comparison is quite sparse.

I apologize then

Clearly I misunderstood where you sit within the xbox side of things

I've always meant to ask, what is the job description for your title?

What does it actually encompass?

I do planning for the console and accessories. So anything with the physical Hardware, Dashboard/UI, accessories, etc.

I don't do planning for Studios titles, but I know those guys well.

I don't do policy setting on Xbox Live.

That's why my posts generally focus on HW and UI questions. That's the stuff I'm directly involved with.

Jack_AG

Banned
Because despite the fact that people think I'm here to spread misinformation, I'm actually trying to do the opposite.

Hire me. Dead fucking serious. Who better to serve the public eye and be a spokesperson for a brand than someone who understands the negative public perception of said brand because that person views the brand negatively, themselves?

It's like hiring a hacker to work your security on a website.

If you want to out-run the negativity and project yourself in a positive light you need to bring in people who are your toughest critics to warn your PR staff of what NOT to fucking say, do or write.

I need a new job anyhow.

Do you know if Sony has all of this information on all of the 3rd party games currently under development for the PS4? If not, is that ok? Do they get a pass?

Also, wanting and having are two totally different things. I want a million dollars but I don't have it... this doesn't make my desire to have a million dollars disingenuous. Sometimes I think you guys are just looking for a opportunity to try to stick it to MS, claiming lies or double talk without any facts to substantiate your own claims.

You're taking everything out of context. If someone from Sony came on here and started asking for lists of resolutions for games to make a point, I'd call them out too. Don't label me as a mindless fanboy by bringing Sony into this.

Skeff

I don't buy for a second that this is the real reason why everyone is so keen for Albert to post resolution info.

Here let me save you the worry: PS4 versions will be better.

I am quite interested in the capabilities of the XB1, I generally buy all consoles and will be getting PS4 at launch and getting my multiplats on that(mainly for remote play, not better graphics) but I'm certainly interested in getting an XB1 at some point. Likely without kinect and likely in around 4-5 years, but I'm certainly interested in the capabilities of the machine.

Poor Albert.

People are ganging up on him trying to make him say obvious things where his job is here to promote Xbone and that doesn't fit well with his job to answer obvious things and confirm it.

Doing PR for weaker hardware and at the same time more expensive (especially after dat policies stunt) probably is nightmare job.

Also hint: It would be a lot better if you could do something with Astrosurfers. Because Astrosurfing on closed message board with good mod work means 1. It doesn't work 2. It creates hate toward company hiring those people

The funnier thing is that the people railing on Albert are pro-PS4 ppl who have no intention of buying the XBone anyway.

viveks86

I'm sorry that peoples' lack of understanding of our team works, gets translated into me being disingenuous.

OF COURSE we have a 3rd party team that works very closely with publishers.

That team is organizationally separate from the rest of us. Why? Because that team deals with very sensitive information. Remember, we are both a competitor and a partner to our publishers.

To preserve that balance, our 3rd party team isn't in the habit of doling out information to the rest of the team, including me, whenever we want. I don’t get to walk over there and see whatever I want, or get these types of questions answered because of my position.

So what do you want to be true? That I can walk over and get any piece of information I want about any 3rd party game? Or that the IP of our partners is secured organizationally so publishers are confident that what they share with that team remains confidential?

Because the latter part is true. So yes, a lot of these details I will get near the same time the game actually ships.

So let's use some common sense. Almost nobody that works on Xbox knows details of 3rd party games besides that team.

Albert, having worked with companies such as MS (in a different field of software), I'm not at all surprised to hear that the Xbox division is split into silos that are legally not allowed to speak with each other about their respective clients' projects. So I will refrain from questioning anything you have stated in your last comment. They sound reasonable to me.

However, what I still can't wrap my head around is why a person at your position in MS would make comments such as "I read on some websites that there would be parity". When you do it with zero anonymity, every statement you make about your company will be construed as official. Gaf wouldn't go this ballistic if a lay person said the same thing. But it shouldn't come from you. It simply confuses everyone and aggravates the bad reputation that MS PR has been gaining lately. I get it that you want to be one of us and speak your mind like one of us, because you are a down to earth guy. But unfortunately, that's not how any statement you say will be taken. Not when your profile name is "Albert Penello". As long as people know who you are, whatever you are attempting to do will backfire. I'm surprised you don't see that yet.

If you really feel like reaching out to the community, these aren't the topics you should be getting involved in. Use it as a platform to spread awareness on Microsoft's official public statements. Use it to for understanding consumer issues and receiving feedback. Not for adding more ammunition for the so-called console wars.

I was thinking the same thing lol. He's trying to respond to people who have already made up their minds about the Xbox One and he would probably be better off going to the dentist and getting some teeth pulled instead.

This has nothing to do with an xbone pre order or having my made up about which console I'm buying.

This is a conversation initiated by Albert about resolution. He can chose not to respond if he wishes, no one is compelling him to. But I'll be damned if the Director of planning for "physical Hardware" is not in on the conversation about what resolution launch (or later) games are running a month out from the release.

SHADES

But how does Albert not know it? He seems to go into great lengths about the XB1 hardware on here.

Didn't MS drop the resolution requirement from the CTR a few years back so I can see why its not common knowledge & also information that's up to the devs/pubs to put out.

Busty

Banned
Because despite the fact that people think I'm here to spread misinformation, I'm actually trying to do the opposite.

I'm sure your intentions are good and you work hard at your job with the best of intentions but coming onto GAF and directly interacting with people makes you more of a 'fox in the hen house' than a direct representative of MS interacting with the fans.

You work for 'the man' and as such you will always be on the outside looking in here. I can't imagine that you ever thought this would have been a very fruitful endeavour given that you're directly representing the agenda of a corporation regardless of what it does.

I'm not that familiar with your posts here on GAF (though what I've read over the last page or so has been interesting to learn) I suspect in time many may come to interpret your 'work' here on GAF as more harmful than helpful.

frizby

The funnier thing is that the people railing on Albert are pro-PS4 ppl who have no intention of buying the XBone anyway.

The funnier thing is the implication that you'd have to be biased to not have an intention of buying an Xbone.

They have a lot to prove and something to remove before I even consider buying one.

Freki

What if I told you that at the end of last year I was dead set on getting both consoles at launch?
What if I told you I still plan on getting one if it get's exclusives I am interested in?

You simply have to acknowledge the fact that MS brought this whole situation onto themselves and they are paying for that right now...

If you really feel like reaching out to the community, these aren't the topics you should be getting involved in. Use it as a platform to spread awareness on Microsoft's official public statements. Use it to for understanding consumer issues and receiving feedback. Not for adding more ammunition to the so-called console wars.

This thread moves so fast. Go back and read what I just posted on the last page.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86181529&postcount=8227

There was no trolling, no flame-bait. I was asking, what I thought was simply, if someone had compiled a list of all the resolutions. There are so many stories, interviews, parsed with rumor and speculation. I was reading a lot of posts about the alleged disparity, and was engaging the community to see if there was something people were holding as fact.

There isn't. That's all I was asking.

I do planning for the console and accessories. So anything with the physical Hardware, Dashboard/UI, accessories, etc.

I don't do planning for Studios titles, but I know those guys well.

I don't do policy setting on Xbox Live.

That's why my posts generally focus on HW and UI questions. That's the stuff I'm directly involved with.

Thanks for the clarification

Didn't know you were in charge of accessories (planning etc.)

So did you have much do with the controller then?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I am quite interested in the capabilities of the XB1, I generally buy all consoles and will be getting PS4 at launch and getting my multiplats on that(mainly for remote play, not better graphics) but I'm certainly interested in getting an XB1 at some point. Likely without kinect and likely in around 4-5 years, but I'm certainly interested in the capabilities of the machine.

I feel like the technical aspects of Xbone are kind of a closed book at this point. The console is substantially weaker than PS4, and certain hardware handicaps make 1080p somewhat more unlikely than the 50% performance gap would suggest. There's essentially no chance of Xbone getting a better quality versions of multi platform titles.

Will there still be visually impressive games? Sure, but not on a technical level. I'm sure that Halo 5 will look awesome but I'd be surprised if, in technical regards, it's even on the same level as Shadowfall.

At this point there are two kinds of people who are still interested in the technical details of Xbone: people who are interested in the hardware because they get their jollies from reading about semiconductor design, and PS4 fans.

vcc

Sony has had similarly adversarial partnerships. The PS3/PS2 itself embodied this; they wanted third parties onboard but they used arcane architecture as a way to push them all the way on board and give internal studios a experience advantage.

It's not surprising MS wouldn't have all the details of their third party partners but Skeff is right that Penello should be self promoting on topics he has no details on.

frizby

Sony has had a consistent PR message and a compelling product since February. There's no upside to them coming in here and telling us anything. There's only risk.

MS has been much less consistent, putting it politely, so their statements are often met with an understandable level of skepticism. But they still have to get out there to try to change perceptions. I can respect that, but let's not assume everybody is being unreasonable in their skepticism, though I agree that some are.

Ploid 3.0

hah I think Albert Penello is including the world "Balanced" in his posts as a joke, in a tongue in cheek manner. Sure made me laugh.

vcc

I'm sure your intentions are good and you work hard at your job with the best of intentions but coming onto GAF and directly interacting with people makes you more of a 'fox in the hen house' than a direct representative of MS interacting with the fans.

You work for 'the man' and as such you will always be on the outside looking in here. I can't imagine that you ever thought this would have been a very fruitful endeavour given that you're directly representing the agenda of a corporation regardless of what it does.

I'm not that familiar with your posts here on GAF (though what I've read over the last page or so has been interesting to learn) I suspect in time many may come to interpret your 'work' here on GAF as more harmful than helpful.

Given all the missteps of their other PR reps and PR in general Albert Penello is probably the least harmful. He seems sincere and human unlike Larry Hyrb.

Top Bottom