• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

Skeff

This thread moves so fast. Go back and read what I just posted on the last page.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86181529&postcount=8227

There was no trolling, no flame-bait. I was asking, what I thought was simply, if someone had compiled a list of all the resolutions. There are so many stories, interviews, parsed with rumor and speculation. I was reading a lot of posts about the alleged disparity, and was engaging the community to see if there was something people were holding as fact.

There isn't. That's all I was asking.

Seems like a jump in Logic there. There are certainly reasons to believe Disparity, however they are mainly extrapolating from first party game, anonymous developer quotes(I can show you some quotes about Watchdogs that strongly infer the PS4 version is superior), thy almighty CBOAT and rumors of developers having difficulties with your API, specifically relating to the Esram.

I know you will not consider any of these "facts" however the presence of multiple rumors and anonymous quotes as well as the disparity in specs, certainly proves to be a convincing argument.

viveks86

This thread moves so fast. Go back and read what I just posted on the last page.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86181529&postcount=8227

There was no trolling, no flame-bait. I was asking, what I thought was simply, if someone had compiled a list of all the resolutions. There are so many stories, interviews, parsed with rumor and speculation. I was reading a lot of posts about the alleged disparity, and was engaging the community to see if there was something people were holding as fact.

There isn't. That's all I was asking.

I did see that. And it is a fair thing to ask. As I've said in my post, I don't think there is any malice intended in your posts. But you make loose comments (specifically the comment about BF4 parity) first and then clarify them later, just like the link you just sent me. When it has to do with a topic that is so polarizing, it gets people riled up, even if that wasn't your intention. I'm just suggesting that you comment with a little more consideration and restraint so that you don't have to make another long post clarifying what your original intent was.

For the sake of clarification... If a high level sony exec came on here and asked me what the resolution of the games being released on his console are, he would get the same reaction.

First you judge all of NeoGAF as lacking common sense and now this. Judge, judge, judge. Keep fighting the ______ fight.

Oh please most of these MS threads are the same crap over and over and over, a lot of people who say how much they dislike it and wont buy it but post in every one of those threads every chance they get to keep on criticizing it. How this thread is even still going is beyond me.

Tsundere

Banned
Oh please most of these MS threads are the same crap over and over and over, a lot of people who say how much they dislike it and wont buy it but post in every one of those threads every chance they get to keep on criticizing it. How this thread is even still going is beyond me.

This isn't an MS thread, buddy.

Freki

Because the Bloodgod demands more blood...

Its worse, its a xbox vs ps one.

I mean what do you expect people to do with weeks to go until the new consoles release? Play games??? lol...

frizby

Then i have a feeling you probably wont be buying one.

Maybe not.

But then again, they could prove that they didn't gimp the console for multimedia, that they are committed to first party development and that they're ready to sell a SKU without Kinect for about $50 less than a PS4.

If they do those things, I'm certainly open to it. Until then, I reserve the right as a gamer to criticize them and to wonder aloud whether this particular console was made with me in mind.

Jack_AG

Banned

And now thread whining. Wow, man. Just... wow.

Edit: MANY of us feel a bit burned by MS from the reveal of the X1 to now. The price, kinect, mixed messaging, not understanding the gamer anymore, etc. We are rightfully pissed that they turned tail on the core gamer mid-way through the 360's life cycle and continue to throw shit at us as if we are somehow easily duped by buzzwords, spin and FUD. We aren't. We are being taken for granted, for a ride and for whores. Voicing our displeasure BEFORE the shit hits the fan is far better than waiting until after to clean up the whole damn room.

Skeff

C'mon Mikey, Why so serious?

frizby

Checks thread title. Nope.

If you're going to thread whine, at least be right.

geordiemp

Even if Albert knew what a 3rd party resolution was for a BF4 build say a few weeks ago, he should not say.

Imagine if he said what the resolution was, and it possibility impacted DICE pre-orders, how do you think Dice and EA would feel.

Really the blame for not knowing product details lies firmly with EA and Dice, and it may effect their pre-orders as many (like me) are waiting for reviews.

Donny

No, we'd do it for gamers so they wouldn't have to visit the vile den of MSB3D for the same info.

Good point. However, as Albert posted, I hardly think 3rd parties will give out the resolution of their games so easily. Specially if these are lower than 900p/1080p, the back-lash it would create would be ugly.

Racer1977

Straight. Trollin.
A month or so back, MS were getting back on track, message wise.

For some reason, they chose to go head first into a specs battle with the PS4, it back fired when devs came out with off the record comments about the systems' relative power.

Now, another battlefront has opened up with the resolution issue. There's no need for it, it's counterproductive.

Xbox One has unique selling points, whether they appeal to you personally, is neither here, nor there. They should have stuck to their message - and all this week's from release.

Perkel

Banned
The funnier thing is that the people railing on Albert are pro-PS4 ppl who have no intention of buying the XBone anyway.

People just like to twist knife. Also don't assume every one here is for party. Some people want to just know what IQ they can expect for their next console to buy it is amazing that there is so little info about native res for Xbone games considering how close is to release date. Meanwhile there is ton confirmed Sony games running at mostly FullHD resolution.

Imo if o would be working for MS at this point I woild play just Nintendo. Cut hardware chat since it is battle that can't be won and focus on games and message (if there is one) and hope people will spend 100$ more.

teehee

geTihY9.png

Dat knife twist.

I'd say DR3 has much more going on than Forza, the number of zombies is very high and that takes a significant amount of resources, if DR3 is in fact the same dynamic resolution as wipeout on PS3(1280-1920x1080), I would be quite impressed by that, Forza by comparison is quite sparse.
I agree, but saying that DR3 can't make it because a 'simple' game like KI is 720p doesn't make sense to me when more taxing games than KI are higher resolution.

Slashlen

Edit: MANY of us feel a bit burned by MS from the reveal of the X1 to now. The price, kinect, mixed messaging, not understanding the gamer anymore, etc. We are rightfully pissed that they turned tail on the core gamer mid-way through the 360's life cycle and continue to throw shit at us as if we are somehow easily duped by buzzwords, spin and FUD. We aren't. We are being taken for granted, for a ride and for whores. Voicing our displeasure BEFORE the shit hits the fan is far better than waiting until after to clean up the whole damn room.

Apparently, only those who intend on buying a system may discuss it.

Note: Does not apply to PS4 threads.

Before? The shit "hit" when they decided to go through with the manufacturing. Theres no redesigning or going back on anything at this point. This is what we are getting period. If you feel like complaining about it is going to change anything about it at this point, then you my friend are much more of a dreamer than i am.

For example, I absolutely despise windows 8. You wanna know why i dont go into that thread to bitch about it every 2 seconds? Cause its pointless. If they wanted to listen to the community, they would have done so. The only thing they understand is money and failure. Windows 7 was amazing cause Vista failed. Thats the only thing they understand. I know this and that is why i dont bother.

coldfoot

Banned
Good point. However, as Albert posted, I hardly think 3rd parties will give out the resolution of their games so easily. Specially if these are lower than 900p/1080p, the back-lash it would create would be ugly.
They don't need to give anything, it can be measured via pixel-counting.

frizby

A month or so back, MS were getting back on track, message wise.

For some reason, they chose to go head first into a specs battle with the PS4, it back fired when devs came out with off the record comments about the systems' relative power.

Now, another battlefront has opened up with the resolution issue. There's no need for it, it's counterproductive.

Xbox One has unique selling points, whether they appeal to you personally, is neither here, nor there. They should have stuck to their message - and all this week's from release.

I agree with all of this.

Albert actually said the perfect thing about a month ago: We'll just let our games speak for themselves.

I think everybody was ready to take that at face value and let this discussion fade into a secontary or tertiary concern. But then the Digital Foundry articles changed the subject right back, and here we are.

I wonder if the problem is that MS has never not had the console with the best versions of third party games and culturally can't figure out how to deal with it.

krioto

Before? The shit "hit" when they decided to go through with the manufacturing. Theres no redesigning or going back on anything at this point. This is what we are getting period. If you feel like complaining about it is going to change anything about it at this point, then you my friend are much more of a dreamer than i am.

For example, I absolutely despise windows 8. You wanna know why i dont go into that thread to bitch about it every 2 seconds? Cause its pointless. If they wanted to listen to the community, they would have done so. The only thing they understand is money and failure. Windows 7 was amazing cause Vista failed. Thats the only thing they understand. I know this and that is why i dont bother.

leavebritneyImeanxbonealone.gif

Jack_AG

Banned

You are right. We should just happily take what we are given like we did with the PS3. I'm so glad everyone shut up after the PS3 launched and happily accepted it for the sub-par gaming experience it was at launch. It wasn't improved in any way since launch. Hell, it's still 599 US DOLLARS last I checked.

OH... oh... wait... yeah.

Sorry, chap. Voicing displeasure works. We wouldn't have the PS4 sitting pretty with virtually every damn negative point about the PS3 taken into consideration for the PS4's overall design straight down to the controller aesthetics if we didn't speak our minds.

YOU might be happy with throwing your hands up at the smallest sign of pushback but not all of us are as complacent.

Cryoflar3

Albert are you telling us that going into a new generation, MS has no contact with 3rd party developers and has no idea where they're at in the development of their games?

why would 3rd parties report to MS about the development about their game aside from some assistance? I don't see any reason why they'd need to.

You are right. We should just happily take what we are given like we did with the PS3. I'm so glad everyone shut up after the PS3 launched and happily accepted it for the sub-par gaming experience it was at launch. It wasn't improved in any way since launch. Hell, it's still 599 US DOLLARS last I checked.

Sorry, chap. Voicing displeasure works. We wouldn't have the PS4 sitting pretty with virtually every damn negative point about the PS3 taken into consideration for the PS4's overall design straight down to the controller aesthetics if we didn't speak our minds.

YOU might be happy with throwing your hands up at the smallest sign of pushback but not all of us are as complacent.

It only worked cause the devs hated working with it.

That's exactly right. Great freaking post

It only worked cause the devs hated working with it.

It worked cause PS3 became the Netflix console and the 360 became the gaming console

geordiemp

Agreed - taking it further you would think that Sony or MS should have asked gamers or even a site like GAF what do you want next gen ?

I certainly would have said give me a new xbox with same controller, enough GPU to do1080P comfortably and keep the 360 controller (and no Kinect). Would of had my money

And motion controlling fad is gone, finished, a dead parrot - we have all had our kinects, moves, wands, motion plus, sick of it

Skeff

why would 3rd parties report to MS about the development about their game aside from some assistance? I don't see any reason why they'd need to.

Thank you for your clarification, I'm sure you can understand that if a Microsoft director of product planing talks about hearing of both versions being at 900p, that is going to make waves and so it should, no one is suggesting you know the resolution of third party games, however it seems that you brought up that particular game yourself, so perhaps you could have known, it doesn't seem to be an outrageous suggestion.

Regarding whether or not you know the resolutions of third party games it would seem more likely you would know more than us, I do imagine you work with people who in fact do work in third party relations and would know some of these resolutions and perhaps news could have been passed on in a casual conversation.

We also know that XB1 engineers have been working on helping DR3 achieve a stable framerate and so it would be likely if they were also in contact with third parties.

We have heard so very little of XB1 versions of multiplats, the only real exceptions is Fifa I believe, which always has an 'efficient' production timeline.

It would be great if you could share your list with us ad I will update the one I wrote to include it.

Also final question for now, Do you know DR3 resolution? I understand it is not first party, however, as I have already explained Microsoft have been helping with the title, so perhaps it would make sense if you would know the resolution or at least if it is fixed or Dynamic..

Seems like some reasonable assumptions as to why he would know right there, also you could add the fact that Albert began this conversation and so would presumably have information regarding the matter. If a Microsoft executive does not have information regarding the Specifications of third party titles on XB1, it seems it would be a silly thing to ask the community, in what could easily be considered a official capacity.

EDIT Also developers provide feedback to Microsoft who in turn update tools and clarify API's with the developer, we also know Microsoft have an engineer who regularly drives to the DR3 studio to help out, It really isn't that crazy of an assumption to make.

moai

this thread is hilarious and makes no sense for me, i can only see half of the posts because all the warriors i have on my ignore list.

frizby

OK class, today we learned that PR is easy when you have the better plan and the better product.

Thank you Adam and Albert for the demonstration.

viveks86

I agree with all of this.

Albert actually said the perfect thing about a month ago: We'll just let our games speak for themselves.

I think everybody was ready to take that at face value and let this discussion fade into a secontary or tertiary concern. But then the Digital Foundry articles changed the subject right back, and here we are.

I wonder if the problem is that MS has never not had the console with the best versions of third party games and culturally can't figure out how to deal with it.

The bolded part! I really wish MS stuck to their original position of keeping quiet and letting the games speak. It's almost like they are addicted to making PR gaffes. "Just one last time"...

DieH@rd

Banned
Im gonna repost this here, just to refresh our memories about resolutions that were confirmed either by detailed observation or by devs

We made a list of confirmed resolutions, but Albert sure as shit wouldn't want to look at it:

Forza: 1080p - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/17/forza-5-runs-at-native-1080p-ryse-does-not
CoD:DoG 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4
Fifa 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ference-between-current-gen-and-next-gen-fifa
Ryse: 900p - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/17/forza-5-runs-at-native-1080p-ryse-does-not
KI: 720p - http://gamingbolt.com/killer-instin...s-removed-or-optimized-praises-xbox-one-cloud
DR3: Dynamic bullshit - actually unable to find a solid link on this, many available but no direct dev comments could be found easily. - Albert could clarify if he wanted to, even if he didn't know it would be 1 phonecall away.

Driveclub: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
KZ:SF: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
Knack: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
Infamous: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
the Order: 1920x800 (artistic- 2.40 cinema aspect ratio, retains 1:1 pixel mapping) - Seriously, the resolution of this one is everywhere, find it yourself :p
ACIV: 1080p - constantly referred to as 1080p, eurogamer comment here - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-assassins-creed-4
CoD:DoG 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4
Fifa 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ference-between-current-gen-and-next-gen-fifa
Resogun: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resogun
Flower: 1080p - https://twitter.com/TDMoss/status/385907407475314688 - talks about 60fps in tweet but in comments confirms 1080p
DC:UO 1080p - http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/e3-2013-dcuo-plans-to-remain-completely-free-on-ps4/
FF14 1080p - http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09...-fps-1080p-equivalent-to-highest-pc-settings/
Blacklight Retribution 1080p - http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/09/06/hands-on-with-blacklight-retribution-for-playstation-4/

They are just about the only confirmed resolutions out there.

EDIT: If anyone provides a valid link with a developer quote or a pixel analysis I'll add the game to the list.

Didn't say they need to report, but a month away from a console launch you don't think MS knows the state those launch titles are in?

Top Bottom