• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Aomber

Likely the remasters of old tracks

Sinhn3K.png

Aomber

New single by Grey and Bahari called "I miss you" teased.

https://www.facebook.com/greymusique/videos/1808309866100104/

Also an article about the duo from Billboard

Inside Grey's 'Starving': How a Cold Email to Skrillex Spurred a Dance Hit With Hailee Steinfeld

I might be wrong here, but it sounds like Zedd had a minority contribution in "Starving" and the production/writing was mostly from Grey. Some of you might remember I gave "Starving" a really hard time ITT, writing it up as mediocre at best with pretty much every production & songwriting aspect being as generic and trendy as it gets.

BUT... There is something to be said about writing a track like this when you're in a position like Grey. The song now has over 300 million plays on Spotify - that's not something to turn your nose up to. My father once said to me, "If you ever have the chance to be really successful, even if you have to eat shit, just do it." What I'm trying to say is, it sounds from the article like they had the opportunity to work with a big pop artist, had a very short amount of time to come up with something, and... we got Starving. When all is said and done about the quality of the song, I can understand pursuing this opportunity, and at their core they're two clearly talented dudes since they've released other pretty good music.

That being said, here's what I'll say about the upcoming new single. The new single has got me very interested, it's a nice song from what I'm hearing. I am a bit concerned by the production direction because, while it's well done, it's also pretty familiar and I'm skeptical of any EDM track that doesn't show off the main hook. It sounds stupid I know, but I've been hearing some real disappointments lately from teasers that just showed off the verse. So, we'll just have to see what direction they decide to take. I'm gonna be really disappointed if they decide to go full trendy on their next track again, and I hope they try something a little more personal. I'm not saying you have have some crazy ass original sound design, but for me to be fully interested, an artist has to show "how do THEY sound like", not "how do they sound when using overused, popular production trends"

You can hear "Starving" here, as well as a link to their Soundcloud for other music they've worked on.

Hailee Steinfeld, Grey - Starving ft. Zedd

Grey on Soundcloud

Aomber

Bonobo and Nick Murphy (aka Chet Faker) have a new song and it's hauntingly beautiful :D Nick's vocals are always on point for music like this. I love how this doesn't even really have an obvious genre to it, it could be considered a bunch of things.

Bonobo, Nick Murphy - No Reason

mr stroke

BPM Fantastic as always

Gorgon City party was off the hook, ends at 6am. They then head to the beach to play a sunrise set till 11:30am. Bonkers.....

Got 4 hours of sleep, then hit this Toolroom beach party-

Mark Knight dropped funky techno for 3 hours. Sooo good. Solomun techno taco's block party tonight :p

Aomber

BPM Fantastic as always

Gorgon City party was off the hook, ends at 6am. They then head to the beach to play a sunrise set till 11:30am. Bonkers.....

Got 4 hours of sleep, then hit this Toolroom beach party-

Mark Knight dropped funky techno for 3 hours. Sooo good. Solomun techno taco's block party tonight :p

That's awesome, jelly

Speaking of BPM they just announced they're expanding to Brazil and Portugal as well.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/dance/7648045/the-bpm-festival-brazil-portugal-2017

Aomber

Lol, just read a producer in a Facebook comment saying to someone "I've been producing since you were in your father's testicles" to justify his opinion. This shit happens SO much in the music scene, I absolutely love it when people say stuff like this because it means they're probably not very good at what they do. Happens all the time in DJ and production circles, like DJs dismissing laptops as a viable option because "I've been doing it for 30 years! I know what I'm talking about!" Meanwhile there's dudes headlining fucking madison square garden with laptops using traktor or what have you

It's unfortunate because these kind of mentalities can sometimes slow down progress due to people spreading the wrong information about the latest in technology. Technology pushes all music forward.

Aomber

So let's get the good news out of the way. The xx album is out and I'll be writing impressions tomorrow once I've gotten a chance to sit down and listen to it.

Now let's get onto... The other music.

New Grey song is here, and it's very forgettable. This is not a term I ever use but "overproduced" comes to mind. It just feels like it could have been a much nicer song if they didn't try to do too much with it. Not to mention, right before I shared this song I was gonna say how this "DJ Snake" kinda sound has been popular lately where people will have like a synthesized vocal drop. Well... here we have it once again lol.

I'm not sure about these guys to be honest. I had some decent hopes for them when they started releasing music but this isn't doing it for me. I somehow knew the song wasn't gonna be good from the teaser.

Grey ft. Bahari - I Miss You

EDIT: Lol, I just realized this is basically an EDM'd version of "We Don't Talk Anymore" >> Charlie Puth - We Don't Talk Anymore (feat. Selena Gomez) [Official Video]

Speaking of lame, let's talk about the new Chainsmokers song!

The Chainsmokers - Paris [Premiere]

So, this is a straight up pop track, there's vocals from start to end. Nothing wrong with that but... What is wrong is that the vocals here are just fucking terrible. Jesus Christ Drew, stop singing on your tracks please. He knows he can't sing, I know he can't sing, everyone knows he can't sing, and while we're at it let the singer on your next track write your lyrics for you. There's no soul to this - what this song is really about is business, nothing more nothing less. The "cute boy from the Chainsmokers" is spending his time singing to all his teenage girl fans about going for a romantic time in Paris instead of writing a good song. But hey it's gonna be a number one billboard hit so fuck me, right?

Aomber

Welp, Facebook has decided to take the Soundcloud route with music content. This is really unfortunate, I wrote about this in a college essay but YouTube is the only platform that is safe for remixing anymore, which is not great because YouTube is such an oversaturated platform. At the end of the day this hurts everyone because it's potential business lost for the label and exposure lost for upcoming artists.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Related:

tHVeYEo.png

Ashhong

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...n-ross-paul-meany-higher-love-new-song-listen

Seven Lions & Jason Ross Feat. Paul Meany - Higher Love

Mah boi Jeff!

Fuck yea! Heard this at his show and was wondering what it was. Wooooo

So, this is a straight up pop track, there's vocals from start to end. Nothing wrong with that but... What is wrong is that the vocals here are just fucking terrible. Jesus Christ Drew, stop singing on your tracks please. He knows he can't sing, I know he can't sing, everyone knows he can't sing, and while we're at it let the singer on your next track write your lyrics for you. There's no soul to this - what this song is really about is business, nothing more nothing less. The "cute boy from the Chainsmokers" is spending his time singing to all his teenage girl fans about going for a romantic time in Paris instead of writing a good song. But hey it's gonna be a number one billboard hit so fuck me, right?

Fuck no! I agree completely. This is basically how I've felt about them since Closer. It's been nonstop pop cheese, especially the lyrics. What basic shit

Might as well ride the wave, ey Alex and Drew?! Making Pop music while their set's are full of whatever they want. Not worth the view. I'm done with The Popsmoker's until they come back to making some form of EDM. I hope that somebody turns that shit into a banging Hardstyle track later.

But yeah, I saw that Garrix was getting fucked on Soundcloud. Fix yo shit Soundcloud. Not touching Facebook since I deleted my shit a long time ago. Also lol at Armada. I gave that track a listen and..... I noped out of there. I don't even know how to identify that song lol. It's Hip Hoppy, Trappish, Pop music?

Somebody will fuck you Aomber. It might be somebody cute or sexy. Have you thought about that :p

Aomber

Somebody will fuck you Aomber. It might be somebody cute or sexy. Have you thought about that :p
Lmao since we're in the edm thread you just reminded me of one of my fondest memories in college. I had just released my first remix, ever, this was back in 2013 (under a different alias to my current one). I was pretty pumped about it at the time, I didn't know fuck all about audio engineering but the actual track was a pretty decent pop progressive house song. So anyway I'm at this apartment party with a few friends and my one buddy who was hyped about the song said to me, "dude you gotta play it at this party". Me being a few drinks in I was like sure so I go up to the laptop and start playing it on SoundCloud.

It was a really cool moment for me because everyone there loved it and the whole party was dancing, lots of people asking me how I did that. But anyway shortly after this one chick came up to me to talk to me and I swear to god she had one of the best bodies of any girl I'd seen in college, I'm great at talking to people but I'm terrible at ice breakers so were it not for that I probably wouldn't have spoken to her that night. I don't even remember what we talked about but what I do remember is within about twenty minutes of first speaking to her she was literally dragging me up the stairs and locking us in the bathroom. All because I played a song I made at a party.

Yes this story is 100% true, and it's the one and only time something like that has happened to me. That was the moment where I was like, well clearly I'm doing something right LOL. Also I'm still working on this one song but I've written the best thing I've ever done and I'm excited about that 🎶

Lmao since we're in the edm thread you just reminded me of one of my fondest memories in college. I had just released my first remix, ever, this was back in 2013 (under a different alias to my current one). I was pretty pumped about it at the time, I didn't know fuck all about audio engineering but the actual track was a pretty decent pop progressive house song. So anyway I'm at this apartment party with a few friends and my one buddy who was hyped about the song said to me, "dude you gotta play it at this party". Me being a few drinks in I was like sure so I go up to the laptop and start playing it on SoundCloud.

It was a really cool moment for me because everyone there loved it and the whole party was dancing, lots of people asking me how I did that. But anyway shortly after this one chick came up to me to talk to me and I swear to god she had one of the best bodies of any girl I'd seen in college, I'm great at talking to people but I'm terrible at ice breakers so were it not for that I probably wouldn't have spoken to her that night. I don't even remember what we talked about but what I do remember is within about twenty minutes of first speaking to her she was literally dragging me up the stairs and locking us in the bathroom. All because I played a song I made at a party.

Yes this story is 100% true, and it's the one and only time something like that has happened to me. That was the moment where I was like, well clearly I'm doing something right LOL. Also I'm still working on this one song but I've written the best thing I've ever done and I'm excited about that 🎶

Ok. Can you play Drunk in Love? 😂

See people, Music is Love, Music is Life.

Bounce United presents the Bounce remix to The Popsmoker's Paris by Refeci x Helion x Taw. It's not good nor bad just very plain but this at least makes the original sound better. Wonder who is going to jump on the Hardstyle remix? Dr Phunk is particularly good with remixes and so are Da Tweekaz.

Edit: I just noticed that Draper released an album earlier this week. Draper's Luminous. It's honestly decent. I've been listening to it non-stop today.

Edit 2: This has been released since last October but not digitally, nanobii's [Hardstyle]BAMバム is a fun Hardstyle track.

mr stroke

Ok can we be done with putting the Shitsmokers in ANY electronic music category. This is straight up boy band trash now :\

Aomber

HOLY FUCKING SHIT GAF.

So, my second love to music is probably skiing, it's one of my favorite things to do. My family and I recently booked a ski trip out in the midwest, last time I went skiing out there was probably fifteen years ago and it was easily one of the best ski trips I've ever done.

While I'm out there Zedd's playing a set. As if this mother fucking trip couldn't be better I get to see one of the best shows one can see LOL let's go

HOLY FUCKING SHIT GAF.

So, my second love to music is probably skiing, it's one of my favorite things to do. My family and I recently booked a ski trip out in the midwest, last time I went skiing out there was probably fifteen years ago and it was easily one of the best ski trips I've ever done.

While I'm out there Zedd's playing a set. As if this mother fucking trip couldn't be better I get to see one of the best shows one can see LOL let's go

That's some cool shit, boro. Enjoy it my dude!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT GAF.

Going to see him at Redrocks? Amazing venue if so.

Aomber

Yeah no, I just looked at the ticketing website source code, and that show isn't worth 103 bucks lol. Oh well the skiing should be a great time anyway

Aomber

Skiing while wearing your earphones/buds or headphones = profit?

There we go haha. I actually need to buy some new IEMs I only have Shure SE215s and they're a huge pain in the ass because they have a detachable cable but the connection isn't good so it cuts out the audio if you move your head at all

mr stroke

Mass shooting at BPM festival Mexico

Many wounded & 4 dead so far...

Fuck I was at the Blue Parrot club several days ago, WTF is wrong with people :(

Aomber

Mass shooting at BPM festival Mexico

Many wounded & 4 dead so far...

Fuck I was at the Blue Parrot club several days ago, WTF is wrong with people :(
Yo I was just about to post here to see if you were okay cause I knew you were out there. Glad to see you're safe

mr stroke

damn, just read about this. so scary.

Yep. Crazy pic of the club right after shooting started, everyone hitting the floor.

5bSWpLn.jpg

Absolutely gutted by this news. Was gonna post about how amazing it was down there, and how amazing it was to be surrounded by thousands of other people who are there for strictly the music. No E puddles, no frat bros, no fancy lights or stages, no totems, no bullshit. And then this happens :\

Makes me wonder what happens to the BPM Festival going forward? Is it over or will everyone forget in 6 months? (anecdotally my wife is terrified of ever going back now :\)

Anth0ny

I don't know what it's like in Mexico, but security check at festivals and clubs in toronto look in your fucking wallet to see if you have any pills on you. let alone a fucking firearm.

that's why I don't get mad at the long ass waits to get into raves. these checks have to be done, or else you would see tragedies like that even more often...

Aomber

One of the only future bass tracks I think is actually decent. This is pretty hot - loud clap warning though, a little sharp for my likings

Aanysa x Snakehips - Burn Break Crash (Lophile Remix) (Audio)

Decided to check up on Claude VonStroke's other alias and this is insane

Barclay Crenshaw - The Gene Sequence

These have been my jam recently.
https://soundcloud.com/futureclassic/thrupence-rinse-repeat-1

https://soundcloud.com/buku/front-to-back

Anyone got any recommendations? Been running my playlists dry recently. I'm open to anything tbh
These are really nice - see above

Top Bottom