• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Aomber

Nah, I can't see Techno (or Hardstyle/Gabber) ever getting popular. Way to dark, minimal, and lacking vocals/hooks. Ok with me :p

What I meant was there's been some relatively popular artists who have taken some techno influence, for example some Zhu and some mau5, but I don't think even that would become super popular by any stretch. As for pure techno as a genre, it has become a bit more popular since a lot of people who used to listen to EDM transitioned, but no I don't think that'll ever become that popular either.

I also definitely agree with your analysis of Vicetone and EDM producer's when it comes to producing pop music. If anything, I think many should stick to remixes and try to figure out the process of making a good Pop-EDM song.
Honestly it's because many EDM artists don't expose themselves enough to other music. It's obvious when you think about it because they're constantly at EDM events, making EDM, or finding EDM tracks for their DJ sets, leaving little to no time to sit down and listen to quality music completely unrelated.

Seriously, pick any great EDM producer who's written amazing pop/EDM tracks. Any interview where they're asked who their influences are, it's always artists who aren't even EDM at all.

isnt carl cox the argument for Techno being popular? i mean... has he not had his own tent at wmc, and for how many years?

As for techno going mainstream? sure, that wont happen. mainstream culture needs that instant bass drop or feels :p i certainly like it from time to time. like when i heard dj snake - here comes the night, i had it on repeat for weeks.

but i hope no one ever dismisses techno. it'll neva-eva die. :p

Anth0ny

I am getting really, and I mean REALLY sick of DJs dropping rock songs into their sets as terrible 'remixes'. Even Aoki did it tonight with Welcome To The Black Parade.

Total buzzkill.

it's the worst

even a perennial crowd pleaser like skrillex can't pull it off well. let alone less talented djs.

mr stroke

Album
Flume-Skin
(Hard one as I listened to a lot of 2015 stuff this year)

ns7t5x3.png

I don't know if this was my favorite album but its the one I listened to the most in 2016. While basically a trap/dub pop album, everything works here. Especially the poppy vocal tracks "Never Be like You" and "Say it". Catchy hooks and melodies while still retaining a dark grimy sound.

Runner up
Eric Prydz-Opus
QiGjLl9.jpg

Song
Gorgon City-All Four Walls
B17kbGg.jpg

New school garage at its finest. Soulful female vocals, little piano riffs with live instruments. Puts me in a good mood every time I hear it.

Runner up
Justin Martin-Rabit Hole

Live set that I personally saw
Mr Carmack-Coachella
kkThwID.png

Saw a lot of great sets this year, but this one takes the cake. No cheese, no corny hip hop or dumb trap anthems or frat boys. Just Dark trap & bass bombs for an hour and a half. Absolute madness.

Runner up
Nicole Moudaber-EDC Vegas

Essential Mix
Tchami
U7mmBt1.jpg

Runner up
DJ Shadow

Favorite DJ's of 2016
Tale of Us
9uIp0s4.jpg

These guys have been on fire this year. The darkest most beautiful techno music currently being made. Their 2016 MixMag Time Warp set is insanity.

Runner up
Claptone

Aomber

Album
Flume-Skin
(Hard one as I listened to a lot of 2015 stuff this year)

ns7t5x3.png

I don't know if this was my favorite album but its the one I listened to the most in 2016. While basically a trap/dub pop album, everything works here. Especially the poppy vocal tracks "Never Be like You" and "Say it". Catchy hooks and melodies while still retaining a dark grimy sound.

I'm with you. That's why I said it was not my album of the year, I said it was my favorite "EDM" album of the year but overall this year wasn't that good for albums. It's still a great album don't get me wrong but relative to what else I listened to, yeah...

Aomber

Ultra or EDC?

EDC is probably a little cheaper coming from the west coast, but I'd like to hear what others have to say
Between those two, EDC. Unless you can drive to Miami, EDC is always cheaper because the cost of the ultra ticket is substantially more expensive and the hotels are even worse.

That said I wouldn't recommend either. They have great lineups but at the end of the day those festivals are too famous and get shit crowds because of it. IMO save your money and go to Miami music week or EDC week going to club events instead. It sounds crazy, but I spent the week leading up to EDC in Vegas and I had a million times more fun at the clubs than I did at EDC itself, 18+ vs 21+ makes a big difference.

Aomber

Merry Christmas/happy holidays edmgaf :D I've had a pretty rough second half of the year with post graduation unemployment and other personal issues, thanks for providing a great place to talk about what I love and help distract me from the rough edges in life

mr stroke

Lol i think im pulling the trigger this year. I didnt go to shit last year.

I gotta say 2016 was the best year I've ever been (going all the way back to 2001)

While EDC Vegas brings out the worst frat boy brah's & molly kids around, last years production and music were insane, I said I would never go again, but man Insomniac really nailed it last year. So much good music as long as you stay off the main stage :p

Aomber

Just watched the Zedd True Colors documentary, he's such a good dude, I don't love a lot of the music he made in 2016 but he remains a big inspiration

They talked about his tour a lot in it, and needless to say his shows are always amazing, but the one thing separate to that which Ryan Tedder pointed out is that he's a performing musician who can really play instruments. I understand the "perfection factor" of his shows but I can't help but feel like it would be incredible to have that level of production with LIVE instrumentation. It's like, they have these clips of him playing really good drums, piano, and such. I can't help but feel like there's a way to do that, his show is beautiful but he's better than to just do a pre-planned DJ set with his talent.

Anyway, if you're interested in the guy check it out

Resident Advisor's short Documentary about Carl Cox's 15 years of Space-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxP5HZTTQ2k

Everyone should give this a watch, lots of old never seen footage, really well done.

(kinda sad though as it seems he is winding down his career)

This was also awesome to watch, thanks for sharing

I haven't been able to listen to too much music lately with how much drinking I've been doing since the Holidays. Will try to listen and watch what have been posted when I can.

Happy New Years EDM-GAF.

DMczaf

Just finished day 1 of Countdown NYE

Top 3 sets

1. Seven Lions (no shitty rock songs!)

2. Rezz

3. Billy Kenny

Chainsmokers Award for Laziest Set:

Chainsmokers

Ashhong

Just finished day 1 of Countdown NYE

Top 3 sets

1. Seven Lions (no shitty rock songs!)

2. Rezz

3. Billy Kenny

Chainsmokers Award for Laziest Set:

Chainsmokers

Bruh. I saw Chainsmokers after that set at their LA show. What a shitfest. I was ready to just leave but it was so packed I didn't want to go through the crowd lol

Considering countdown day 2 though...

Aomber

I am drunk but can I just say I love it that everyone here doesn't like the Chainsmokers hahaha also I died when I saw they brought up the Backstreet boys

Happy new years fuckers <3 anyone got any hit list events they wanna do in 2017? I'm probably gonna be stuck on the east coast this year but might do gov ball or something

Rezz is fucking dope.

Good shit DM.
Lol I gotta see REZZ again. I saw her in Montreal and it was okay but it was during the day time at a festival, I felt like it didn't do her set justice cause her music is so dark

Anth0ny

a chainsmokers set is the equivalent of downing a sleeping pill

I literally started yawning

pls 2017 bring a better "edm star" to the masses that gets overplayed like crazy

mr stroke

I am drunk but can I just say I love it that everyone here doesn't like the Chainsmokers hahaha also I died when I saw they brought up the Backstreet boys

Happy new years fuckers <3 anyone got any hit list events they wanna do in 2017? I'm probably gonna be stuck on the east coast this year but might do gov ball or something

Lol I gotta see REZZ again. I saw her in Montreal and it was okay but it was during the day time at a festival, I felt like it didn't do her set justice cause her music is so dark

2017 should be fun

For sure-

BPM Festival Mexico
Coachella
EDC Vegas

Maybe-

CRSSD festival San Diego
Burning Man
Symbiosis gathering

Wish list and probably not happening-

TomorrowLand
Holy Ship

mr stroke

You know we're off to a bad start in 2017 when you read the following headline:

deadmau5 ‘opens’ for Marshmello, plays Maceo Plex and gets flamed for a ‘boring’ set

Also yoooohohoho this Starving remix though, apparently it's by "Bali Bandits" I haven't heard a mainstage track this badass in a WHILE

https://www.instagram.com/p/BONSHrsluCi/?taken-by=zedd

tiXmeNJ.png

E6fweK9.png

EbV5pAO.png

Hahahahaa

If banging Techno is too slow for these kids, what happens when they listen to Deep House , Yikes

So I was watching NYE stream and Youtube and it looks like they have an option to where you can switch stages now?

If so this means no excuses for festivals that use the Youtube live stream

DMczaf

Additional Day 1 of Countdown Notes:

Saw a one legged man pay a woman to have full on anal in the middle of Steve Aoki's set while his friend propped him up.

I've seen some shit.

Day 2 of Countdown:

Also Morgan Page and W&W were awesome.

2017 save me.

Top Bottom