• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

mr stroke

Whoa had no clue that Oakland warehouse party was for deep house label 100% Silk :(

I was wondering why a lot of the victims were in their 30s, I assumed it was some underground one off Rave with a bunch of teens. What a nightmare, some of the victims had children too, so sad.

mr stroke

Best Dance Recording:
“Tearing Me Up” — Bob Moses
“Don’t Let Me Down” — The Chainsmokers Featuring Daya
“Never Be Like You” — Flume Featuring Kai
“Rinse & Repeat” — Riton Featuring Kah-Lo
“Drinkee” — Sofi Tukker

Best Dance/Electronic Album:
Skin — Flume
Electronica 1: The Time Machine — Jean-Michel Jarre
Epoch — Tycho
Barbara Barbara, We Face A Shining Future — Underworld
Louie Vega Starring…XXVIII — Louie Vega

The ChainSmokers are gonna win that award aren't they :\

Aomber

Best Dance Recording:
“Tearing Me Up” — Bob Moses
“Don’t Let Me Down” — The Chainsmokers Featuring Daya
“Never Be Like You” — Flume Featuring Kai
“Rinse & Repeat” — Riton Featuring Kah-Lo
“Drinkee” — Sofi Tukker

Best Dance/Electronic Album:
Skin — Flume
Electronica 1: The Time Machine — Jean-Michel Jarre
Epoch — Tycho
Barbara Barbara, We Face A Shining Future — Underworld
Louie Vega Starring…XXVIII — Louie Vega

The ChainSmokers are gonna win that award aren't they :\
The Grammys are so unpredictable. Esperanza Spalding beat Bieber for Best New Artist and she's a straight Jazz musician so sometimes it's the one you expect the least.

I hope not anyway.

mr stroke

RA's Top100 2016
https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2857

-
50. Four Tet
49. DJ Koze
48. Palms Trax
47. Zip
46. Job Jobse
45. John Talabot
44. Kolsch
43. Jeff Mills
42. Marcel Dettmann
41. Joris Voorn
40. Alan Fitzpatrick
39. Raresh
38. Marco Carola
37. Claude VonStroke
36. Enzo Siragusa
35. Apollonia
34. Hot Since 82
33. Mind Against
32. Midland
31. Helena Hauff
30. Gerd Janson
29. Sven Vath
28. Richie Hawtin
27. Laurent Garnier
26. Denis Sulta
25. Joseph Capriati
24. Seth Troxler
23. Mano Le Tough
22. Nina Kraviz
21. Eats Everything
20. Rødhåd
19. Hunee
18. Jamie Jones
17. The Martinez Brothers
16. Ben Klock
15. Skream
14. Carl Cox
13. Ricardo Villalobos
12. Motor City Drum Ensemble
11. Patrick Topping
10. The Black Madonna
9. Ben UFO
8. Bicep
7. Âme
6. Adam Beyer
5. Solomun
4. Maceo Plex
3. Tale of Us
2. Jackmaster
1. Dixon

mr stroke

Really want to finally see the Gorge Amphitheater in 2017

SrHZc7i.jpg

But I REALLY don't want to camp in the heat :(

Milchjon

How did it take me a year to discover Never Be Like You???

Kai has now been part of 3 of my favorite EDM tracks of the past few years. Impressive.

Aomber

Well the year's wrapping up, I figured it's time to talk about what our favorite albums, songs, etc are this year! So, I guess I'll start.

Songs! Nothing here is in any particular order, will edit in any others I think of.

Justice - Chorus

Flume - Take a Chance feat. Little Dragon

Cashmere Cat - Trust Nobody ft. Selena Gomez, Tory Lanez

Dusky - Ingrid Is A Hybrid

The Weeknd - I Feel It Coming (ft. Daft Punk)

Flume - v

Deadmau5 - Whelk Then

Johannes Brecht & Christian Prommer - Voix Grave (Johannes Brecht Version) [Diynamic]

Porter Robinson & Madeon - Shelter
(I hesitantly post this one only because I believe it isn't as strong as individual works from either Porter or Madeon, but it's still a nice song and the anime video was very well done)

Flume - Numb & Getting Colder feat. Kučka

As for albums, we had some solid albums from the likes of Justice, deadmau5, RUFUS DU SOL, etc. but only one takes the cake for album of the year for me as far as electronic albums go.

IUB35n8.jpg

A lot of you saw this one coming, made a huge post about it earlier this year. Great album with a great combination of weirdness and pop.

HOWEVER, this is not my album of the year, because my album of the year isn't EDM at all. I'm only mentioning it for those who haven't had the chance to experience it yet because it is an absolute masterpiece - one of the finest pieces of music of this decade across any genre. Do yourself a favor and listen to this one. Sit down, in a dark room with most lights off at night, put some headphones on, and experience this.

BQuEj9Y.jpg

Aomber

Really want to finally see the Gorge Amphitheater in 2017

But I REALLY don't want to camp in the heat :(
I'd love to as well but I'm done with camping festivals. Hotels all the way for me, I appreciate a good bed and a shower :D
How did it take me a year to discover Never Be Like You???

Kai has now been part of 3 of my favorite EDM tracks of the past few years. Impressive.

Damn surprised you hadn't hear it, it literally double platinum'd in the US recently haha. Great song though!

I don't know how I'm doing mines. Off the top of my head?

Best Artist(s) and/or Producer(s)
Flume.

Woah, whaaaaat?! Coming from you BLOODED_hands?

It's an easy choice to make. He's the father of what many new people are hearing right now. Without him, many people wouldn't have been mainstream. He has paved the way for The Chainsmoker's, Illenium, A bunch of Monstercat artists. Everywhere you go you will hear his influences. He's in charge, whether he likes it or not, of this Future Bass movement. What is unfortunate is the fact that many people have taken his credit for coming up with Future Bass.

Best 5 Songs of 2016

In no order of what's best and worst:

Porter Robinson & Madeon - Shelter
Such a creative and fun song accompanied with a very powerful music video. A collab that many people have waited for.

DJ Snake & Yellow Claw - Ocho Cinco
A great blend of both genre's that have always borrowed alot from each other. This song brings in such a fun and awesome vibe that DJ Snake and Yellow Claw are both known for.

Coone - Rise of The Celestials
Many people swore off Coone and said that he wasn't suitable for the Qlimax Anthem. He surprised nearly everybody with a very creative and powerful Hardstyle track. One that blends in the two or three main sub-genre's of Hardstyle - Nustyle, Euphoric, and Rawstyle.

Vicetone - Nevada ft. Cozi Zuehlsdorff
Many were anticipating the duo's return to Monstercat. When they did, they returned big time. Not a fan of the sounds of Future House, they surprised me. It may not be similar to their past Electro House vibes but their new style(s) have been decent thus far and Nevada really brought out their strength in variety with Modern House music.

MAKJ, Timmy Trumpet - Party Till We Die ft. Andrew W.K.
In a surprise, this song is a banger. It's not the best bounce track of the year but the energy it brings and the vocals provided by surprise feature, Andrew W.K., makes this such a great and fun party song.

Best Remixes of 2016

Razihel - Legends ft. TeamMate (Zatox Remix)
This is such a sleeper song due to how slow the beginning starts. Then you get the energy from the middle point and it just goes full on Hardstyle. Many doubted that this could be such a decent track and Zatox proved them wrong.

The Chainsmoker's - Don't Let Me Down ft. Daya (Hardwell & Sephyx Remix)
As much shit as they get, The Chainsmoker's knew they had a hit in their hands with DLMD. Then the many surprising and good remixes came out and boom! The Hardwell & Sephyx remix just turned it up to 11. Hardwell has dabbed in the Hardstyle scene before but this remix, along with the help of Sephyx, secured his role in how helpful he can be to a small-medium sized scene in the EDM world.

Armin van Buuren vs Human Resource - Dominator (Bass Modulators Extended Remix)
Armin's version was already a Bigroom banger but holy shit at how crazy a Hardstyle sound can change just how much more of a banger it can get. Bass Modulators just brings the Hardness to this track and turns it up to 11.

Best Album of 2016

This is a tough choice. We've had so many great albums released this year that I've heard of and listened to. But sticking strictly to EDM my choice would be:

Yellow Claw Presents: The Barong Family Album
This wasn't an easy choice to make, sadly. I ended up choosing this album because of the Family factor that these Artist's and Producer's presented themselves as. There are better families out there and I don't doubt their greatness but for a household Trap duo in Yellow Claw to get as many people as he could to produce this album is astonishing. There are house tracks, trap tracks, hybrid tracks, and funky tracks. This album really showed off the families strengths (and weaknesses).

The Barong family is growing and I see a ton of potential in all of them. I cannot wait to see where they are all going in the future. I will say that this album isn't for everybody.

Runner up:

AudioFreQ's latest album, Audiology
This album is phenomenal. The productions, the transitions, the variety in Hardstyle. AudioFreQ just brings it and then some. The whole album just doesn't let up with nearly all tracks being bangers after bangers and a bizarre genre shift midway that ties everything back to Hardstyle. This album is really well produced.

My other albums of the year goes to:

Dumbfoundead's We Might Die and Pryde's Are U There?

Two very good Rap and Hip Hop albums for 2016. One dives into a rapper's world views and his surroundings. The other dives deep into a rapper's personal relations, love life, and depression. Both offer bars after bars and a great persepctive into both of their lives.

In the coming days, I'm sure I'll list more songs that I loved this year.

Aomber

Some of those remixes you posted are definitely better as hardstyle tracks than the originals (not familiar with the original Razihel track so idk about that one). Absolutely not a fan of the original "Don't Let Me Down" but it works pretty well with hardstyle, my issue with the original is mostly in the hook/drop

Yeah, Dominator works a lot better as a hardstyle track IMO.

It really does. I'm surprised that many artists haven't tried their hands at remixing it until Bass Modulators did their version.

@Aomber, the original Legends was straight up Melodic Trap. The buildup was decent and the drop kind of ruins the song. The buildup was designed to be implemented with a fast bpm and Zatox took advantage of that. It's, to me, also alot easier to make a Melodic Trap song into a Hardstyle song.

As a pretty basic Trap song, DLMD can easily be remixed into a variety of genres. That's one good thing to come out of that song. Shit, that's nearly all the new songs from The Chainsmoker's. Their songs are so basic that nearly any and all remixes will make their songs that much better.

Aomber

Topi - Danger Time

if anyone wants to listen to some insane sound design... Topi is a fucking monster
I gotta be honest, and this is totally just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of music like this.

I used to be all over stuff like this when I was really interested in sound design, but the more I learned about music I realized musical structure and writing ideas are the most important things. Like it's all good having great sound design to compliment a great song, for example Hans Zimmer, but I say that because these guys who spend so much time studying and practicing sound design don't spend the same time learning how to write good music. It just feels like a waste when someone has a skill like that but not the best writing chops... Nothing against the artist himself just a general statement about sound design heavy music.

Something I've had on my mind for a while but haven't had the chance to say it ITT

mr stroke

EDIT: After giving it a couple listens I changed this a bit

Just listened to W:/2016Album/ by deadmau5.

I mean, it's another mau5 album. I can't really say a lot about the structure of the album because it's the same feeling I get from every album he's ever released. It's a playlist of songs. It shouldn't come as a huge surprise seeing as the mau5 himself more or less said this about the new album and that it was just to pay the bills.

However, I will say it turned out better than I expected. It's incredibly well produced with some really wacky ideas which I absolutely love. An interested combination of old and new mau5. I really REALLY didn't like some tracks at first, but after a few listens, I realized there's not a single bad track in here. They're all good and the ones I wasn't huge on at first have grown on me, it's just he's not the best at tying together an album. I'm yet to see something from him where it feels like all the songs make sense together, though he's said that's what he wants to do next.

I can't say there's an electronic album this year that is my absolute favorite of the year but there were a couple good and decent ones, couple disappointing ones.

Also,

iVIYjGk.png

Got a chance to listen to this several times now and I gotta say I LOVE this album. And this is someone who generally dislikes Mousey and hasn't cared for any of his albums.

This feels different than his previous stuff. Darker, less melodies, bit more mature than his previous stuff. W:/2016Album/ might be his best work yet

Most Disappointing Artist or Producer of 2016

You guys all know me and my love for Hellberg. But this year has been pretty lackluster for him. Sure he finally got signed, sure he got a song onto a mainstage act in Afrojack but he hasn't progressed to where he should be. He has a ton of potential but he hasn't used it alot this year. That's what disappoints me about Hellberg.

His latest remixes have been subpar and lacking compared to his older remixes. His newest originals have been middling and lacking compared to his older tracks.

All The Way..... So disappointing. Sure it can be a banger, sure it can be a anthem but this song is such a bore. I've been paying attention to his songs before this and you can clearly tell that he was aiming for something like All The Way. All his work amounted to All The Way, sadly.

Synchronize ft. Aaron Richards is another disappointment. This was basically The Girl part 2 imo. Some may say this was a great House track and I would agree had he not tried to repeat The Girl. It is indeed such a different tune compared to the above but this just feels like Hellberg could have done more. He could have made this something special like The Girl. Instead he chose to make The Girl.... Again.

What disappointed me the most about Hellberg? He joined the Future Bass bandwagon some odd months ago. He says he will always make House music and you won't see him making anything but House music and then he goes and does this?! Disappointed in ya Hellberg. I understand you wanting to experiment with other genres and I understand you wanting to get your name out there but not when it comes to your musical progress.

Future Potential Artist(s) or Producer(s)

I've posted their tracks here before and these guys have a ton of potential.

BRKLYN

Sure they sound almost like any other Electro House and Trouse artist but their songs just have something to them that separates them from the others. I don't know if it's the vocals or the productions but their songs are just good to listen to from my view. Maybe it's their Trance House hybrid that makes them stand out.

LNY TNZ

They are growing in the Trapstyle/Hardstyle scene. They are the opposite of what you want to hear from Hardstyle. They are the "party" side to Hardstyle and their Trap influences definitely helps with that. They have alot of potential to be a household name in the Trapstyle/Hardstyle world. They could be the goto for Trapstyle.

San Holo

I've talked about him before and he really is the other Flume. Those two are such a good combination to Future Bass. The only reason why he hasn't reached his potential is because his tracks still has that typical and boring Future Bass sound. If he can find a way to get more creative with his Future Bass (and don't get me wrong, he has) he could be the next Flume.

The other issue I see pop up is that he is sort of a major name already being on multiple Youtube channels. Many people already knows him and his music. He's been on Monstercat, Trap Nation, Trap City, MrSuicideSheep, OWSLA, RAT TRAP, etc. So has he reached his potential or nah? In my opinion, nope and he still has the potential to be the next big thing.

Sephyx

He is an young and upcoming name in the Hardstyle scene. He's had some decent tracks but he is still young and inexperienced. Coone has definitely tried to prop Sephyx up as the next big thing for the future of Hard Dance and I can see why. Dude just brings out the energy that, what some may call it, Nustyle brings to the table. It's a huge dichotomy between older Hardstyle and now. The future that Sephyx brings relies heavily on more upbeat sounds and a heavy focus on vocals (or some kind of vocals).

Aomber

Gonna give this one to you

Don't like Radiohead at all, but this is good

Thanks for making me listen

Totally with you, I've never been a huge Radiohead fan but they did something special with this record that really got me. It's definitely not a casual listen, but my god it's a work of art. I'm really big on albums making sense from start to end and this was just so good

Most Disappointing Artist or Producer of 2016

You guys all know me and my love for Hellberg. But this year has been pretty lackluster for him. Sure he finally got signed, sure he got a song onto a mainstage act in Afrojack but he hasn't progressed to where he should be. He has a ton of potential but he hasn't used it alot this year. That's what disappoints me about Hellberg.

Since we're posting about it, for me it's easy: Zedd

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but I just think this was easily his weakest year in music. Even though I wasn't the biggest fan of True Colors as a body of work, it had some great moments, such as Addicted To A Memory, Papercut, Beautiful Now (discovered Jon Bellion that way who released one of my favorite albums of 2016). This year though, not so great Grey future bass collabs, a cover of True Colors with Kesha (which really was just a copy paste of the original with new vocals and marketed by Interscope as a brand new single of a year old song), and a mediocre pop prog house track by Zedd standards that was for League of Legends.

The best part for me was when he said that Diplo was jealous of his music after calling him out on Candyman being a Flume ripoff (which it is, Flume himself basically implied it without explicitly saying it), meanwhile Diplo was a trend setter for 2016 before 2016 even started, and had songs five times more successful. Might be something for him to think about in 2017 because this trend nonsense isn't necessary for Zedd who's an extremely talented guy and has proven over and over in the past he can write very original and far reaching music.

Worst artist? No, absolutely not, I don't need to say who I thought were some of the worst artists this year. Most disappointing? Yes

Surprise Songs of 2016

Surprisingly, DJ Snake's Let Me Love You and Middle are two songs that I can't stop listening to. I've heard of them too late in the year but damn are they fun Pop-EDM songs. They're such good songs compared to The Chainsmoker's bland and boring pop hits. It's to do with how much DJ Snake's Pop-EDM songs have more of an EDM influence compared to TCS's garbage.

A couple of Martin Garrix's track: Now That I've Found You and Oops. I don't know why but it's the Garrix effect for me. I know that I shouldn't like his music as much as I should but these two songs are just so addicting to listen to imo.

I've probably got more but I can't seem to think of any right now.

DMczaf

Just bought my tickets for Countdown NYE in Cali.

I get to see my mans Seven Lions one last time before the end of the year!!

Dany

Banned
Surprise Songs of 2016

Surprisingly, DJ Snake's Let Me Love You and Middle are two songs that I can't stop listening to. I've heard of them too late in the year but damn are they fun Pop-EDM songs. They're such good songs compared to The Chainsmoker's bland and boring pop hits. It's to do with how much DJ Snake's Pop-EDM songs have more of an EDM influence compared to TCS's garbage.

DJ Snake is really talented. Pop-EDM or whatever genre he works, he excells in.

L1NETT

the best albums

leon vynehall - rojus [House]
artworks-000148452052-ih3di2-t500x500.jpg

jessy lanza - oh no [Pop]
HDBCD030_Jessy_Lanza500x500.jpg

olga bell - tempo [Alt-Pop/House/Techno]
yx3Kg7I.jpg

tourist - u [Electronic]
Tourist-U.jpg

james blake - the colour in anything [Electronic]
MI0004057513.jpg

tiga - no fantasy required [Electronic]
48302-no-fantasy-required.jpg

stimming - alpe lusia [House]
Stimming_AlpeLusia_500x500_rgb.png

anhoni - hopelessness [Pop]
005343248_500.jpg

the range - potential [Electronic]
49665-potential.jpg

cream soda - Пожар [House]
cover600x600.jpeg

weval - weval [House]
avatars-000212329771-601jjr-t500x500.jpg

moderat - iii [Electronic]
48334-iii.jpg

roly porter - third law [Ambient/experimental]
roly-porter-third-law-500x500.jpg

ital tek - hollowed [experimental]
48897-hollowed.jpg

mmoths - luneworks [electronic]
mmoths-luneworks.jpg

the most boring/disappointing/bad
SBTRKT - Save Yourself Unfinished, unrelentingly dull, halfbaked poop.
Justice - Woman Perfectly fine yet unmemorable in almost every respect. Cross appears more and more to be a one off.
Lido - Everything pleasant stuff if mortally weighed down by some of the most self serious, ear seeringly cringy lyrics ever recorded.
Porter/Madeon - Shelter Again not bad if surprisingly uninteresting considering the hype and fandom behind the pair.
Avec Sans - Heartbreak Hi Aggressively generic.
Wolfgang Gartner - Three Ways to Steal Home Plate No.
Knife Party - In general Pendulum pls
Empire of The Sun - Two Vines the cotton candy of albums. sweet and tasty initially but dissipates into nothingness alarmingly soon.

please stop
zhu/malaa/etc mysterious producer shite

when you use your so called 'mystery' as a marketing tool, you aren't actually 'letting the music speak' as you claim- you are using your image to sell your music but in a subtly different way to other artists. telling somebody 'i'm mysterious' is still an image, a brand, a way of selling yourself. making mixes called 'who is malaa' (sebastian benett btw) and having forty muppets stand behind you in balaclavas at ultra is the most corporate of marketing moves, not a profound statement about the importance of music.

the best of the rest

Ivy Lab - Fortuna (Bass)
fatima al qadiri - brute (Alt-Pop)
Amensia Scanner - AS (Experimental)
The Field - The Follower (Techno)
Mat Zo - Self Assemble (Disco/Electronic)
Dusky - Outer (House)
Christian Loffler (House/Electronic)
Justin Jay - Fantastic Voyage (House)
Ash Koosha - Faint (Experimental)
Flume - Skin Companion EP (Future)

the best singles
Leon Vynehall – Blush [House]
Kemt - I Will Never Let You Go (Lo-Fi/House)
Icarus - Home (feat. AURORA) [House]
Lukas Nystrand von Unge - It Always Rains (House)
Ross From Friends – Getting it Done [Lo-Fi]
Luttrell – Need You (Melodic House)
Cristoph – Alone [House]
Kolsch – Grey [Melodic House]
Stimming – For My Better Half [House]
Kolsch/Michael Mayer - Dogma 1 [Melodic House]

its gonna be a big 2017 for
kemt [lo fi]
golden features [deep house]
rodhad [techno]
clarence clarity [Alt-Pop]
rainbow chan [Alt-Pop]
mall grab [House]
jelani blackman [r n b/electronic]

best mix
rodhad's essential mix.

Aomber

please stop
zhu/malaa/etc mysterious producer shite

when you use your so called 'mystery' as a marketing tool, you aren't actually 'letting the music speak' as you claim- you are using your image to sell your music but in a subtly different way to other artists. telling somebody 'i'm mysterious' is still an image, a brand, a way of selling yourself. making mixes called 'who is malaa' (sebastian benett btw) and having forty muppets stand behind you in balaclavas at ultra is the most corporate of marketing moves, not a profound statement about the importance of music.

I completely agree, ZHU is over rated in my opinion. Like you said about some other music, his music is mostly just "fine" but nothing fantastic

Aomber

DJ Snake - let me love you (Zedd remix): https://open.spotify.com/track/5ogbTwwHYoK1FHnuDsoSgv

This is better, much closer to what I would expect from zedd. Nice harmonies with his style encorportated into a different BPM for him, makes me feel better hearing this to close out the year after making my previous comments. That said it still feels like a remix, I wouldn't say this stacks up to some other past remixes he's done that feel like brand new songs, but it's a foot back in the right direction. Not a fan of the choir samples but that's a nitpick.

Also the marshmello remix is just astonishingly garbage, good lord LOL I didn't think this guy could get any worse. You can find it pretty easily if you want to ruin your day.

As we head into 2017 in a few weeks, I'm really curious what the new trend will be. What's been popping off lately in the EDM world, y'all? I honestly haven't been paying too much attention to Mainstage music these past odd months.

Are we still in the Future Bass phase or have we transitioned into something new? I've been hearing some tracks that are now labeled as "Chill" on r/edm and r/monstercat but that's about it.

Aomber

As we head into 2017 in a few weeks, I'm really curious what the new trend will be. What's been popping off lately in the EDM world, y'all? I honestly haven't been paying too much attention to Mainstage music these past odd months.

Are we still in the Future Bass phase or have we transitioned into something new? I've been hearing some tracks that are now labeled as "Chill" on r/edm and r/monstercat but that's about it.
I don't know if I'd see it going the mainstream way but techno has definitely gotten more popular in the last year. There were a couple of guys who put that into a mainstream sound, but whether that'll catch on is another thing.

I hope not 😄

Huh, people on GAF OT have been talking about Techno lately..... It is indeed getting more popular again! Well, at least from NeoGAF's persepctive.

Oliver Helden's version of All We Know..... I'll take it. This at least is more enjoyable than the original.

Vicetone & Youngblood Hawke - Landslide. Decent track from them all. You can really hear and see the transition that Vicetone is going through. It's obvious they're not shying away from making Pop music.

Hermione's Top Hardstyle Songs of 2016 no not that Hermione lol. 4+ hours of Hardstyle. Put your earbuds or headphones on and just enjoy the Hardstyle ^_^

Aomber

Huh, people on GAF OT have been talking about Techno lately..... It is indeed getting more popular again! Well, at least from NeoGAF's persepctive.

Oliver Helden's version of All We Know..... I'll take it. This at least is more enjoyable than the original.

Vicetone & Youngblood Hawke - Landslide. Decent track from them all. You can really hear and see the transition that Vicetone is going through. It's obvious they're not shying away from making Pop music.

Hermione's Top Hardstyle Songs of 2016 no not that Hermione lol. 4+ hours of Hardstyle. Put your earbuds or headphones on and just enjoy the Hardstyle ^_^

Hmm alright, well first of all that Oliver Heldens track sounds incomplete. I feel like this was yet another example of many where an EDM remix is sub-par due to strict label deadlines, which is why most official remixes are crummy. Then again it's better than the original which speaks a lot about how good the original is.

Secondly, that Vicetone track is an example of EDM songwriting syndrome. Many EDM producers just don't know how to write a good pop song largely because they don't know how to capture a good vocal. That track has some decent production but the lyrics don't mean anything to me and the actual vocal performance... It's not bad but it just doesn't quite fit somehow, holds it back a lot in my opinion. Off the top of my head imagine someone like Mark Foster from Foster the People singing on top of that, now that'd be cool.

mr stroke

I don't know if I'd see it going the mainstream way but techno has definitely gotten more popular in the last year. There were a couple of guys who put that into a mainstream sound, but whether that'll catch on is another thing.

I hope not 😄

Nah, I can't see Techno (or Hardstyle/Gabber) ever getting popular. Way to dark, minimal, and lacking vocals/hooks. Ok with me :p

I see 2017 as a big year for Tropical House. Kids will still like the mainroom fart noises and car alarms for DA MOLLY FEELS BRAH. But I do see a lot of older listeners moving to something a little less loud(As seen by the rise of artists like Kygo, Zhu, Thomas Jack, etc.)

That and probably a lot more Trap/Grime on the mainstage and less Big Room electro/house. Trap in 2016 basically became the hip hop/dancehall of the 90's. Music you can play in "hook up, get laid clubs" instead of hip hop or top40 and still get soccer moms and frat boys to dance.

.Hmm alright, well first of all that Oliver Heldens track sounds incomplete. I feel like this was yet another example of many where an EDM remix is sub-par due to strict label deadlines, which is why most official remixes are crummy. Then again it's better than the original which speaks a lot about how good the original is.

Secondly, that Vicetone track is an example of EDM songwriting syndrome. Many EDM producers just don't know how to write a good pop song largely because they don't know how to capture a good vocal. That track has some decent production but the lyrics don't mean anything to me and the actual vocal performance... It's not bad but it just doesn't quite fit somehow, holds it back a lot in my opinion. Off the top of my head imagine someone like Mark Foster from Foster the People singing on top of that, now that'd be cool.

Yup. It speaks volume how much better it sounds compared to the original even though it's probably not finished. I think the rumor was that Oliver only took like an hour or so to make it?

I also definitely agree with your analysis of Vicetone and EDM producer's when it comes to producing pop music. If anything, I think many should stick to remixes and try to figure out the process of making a good Pop-EDM song.

Nah, I can't see Techno (or Hardstyle/Gabber) ever getting popular. Way to dark, minimal, and lacking vocals/hooks. Ok with me :p

I see 2017 as a big year for Tropical House. Kids will still like the mainroom fart noises and car alarms for DA MOLLY FEELS BRAH. But I do see a lot of older listeners moving to something a little less loud(As seen by the rise of artists like Kygo, Zhu, Thomas Jack, etc.)

That and probably a lot more Trap/Grime on the mainstage and less Big Room electro/house. Trap in 2016 basically became the hip hop/dancehall of the 90's. Music you can play in "hook up, get laid clubs" instead of hip hop or top40 and still get soccer moms and frat boys to dance.

I can't see Tropical House making a comeback. It's way too dependent on one season for alot of people. It also suffers from Mainstage Future Bass in that it's way too hard to make it creative and/or original. I'm thinking we get a resurgence of vocal heavy Melodic House/Electro House songs. It's close enough to Pop-EDM and the masses are digging that sound right now.

I don't see the main three going away: Bigroom, Trap, and Dubstep. Way too many enjoy those three genres. The darker and harsher sounds won't get to those stages but I can see many more mainstage artist's trying to incorporate those sounds to their sets and remixes. On the Hardstyle scene, we've got Hardwell, DVLM, W&W, AvB, and Steve Aoki putting out Hardstyle remixes from time to time on their channels and sets.

I can see that being the norm from now on. A diverse set will do wonders to the medium-small genres. Getting them more exposure without having to rely on a whole set based on one genre. Bigroom, trap, dubstep, and hardstyle/trance/techno somewhere in the end or the middle.

mr stroke

Yup. It speaks volume how much better it sounds compared to the original even though it's probably not finished. I think the rumor was that Oliver only took like an hour or so to make it?

I also definitely agree with your analysis of Vicetone and EDM producer's when it comes to producing pop music. If anything, I think many should stick to remixes and try to figure out the process of making a good Pop-EDM song.

I can't see Tropical House making a comeback. It's way too dependent on one season for alot of people. It also suffers from Mainstage Future Bass in that it's way too hard to make it creative and/or original. I'm thinking we get a resurgence of vocal heavy Melodic House/Electro House songs. It's close enough to Pop-EDM and the masses are digging that sound right now.

I don't see the main three going away: Bigroom, Trap, and Dubstep. Way too many enjoy those three genres. The darker and harsher sounds won't get to those stages but I can see many more mainstage artist's trying to incorporate those sounds to their sets and remixes. On the Hardstyle scene, we've got Hardwell, DVLM, W&W, AvB, and Steve Aoki putting out Hardstyle remixes from time to time on their channels and sets.

I can see that being the norm from now on. A diverse set will do wonders to the medium-small genres. Getting them more exposure without having to rely on a whole set based on one genre. Bigroom, trap, dubstep, and hardstyle/trance/techno somewhere in the end or the middle.

OMG nooooooo

please don't tell me we're gonna see a shit ton of Chainsmoker/Bieber melodic vocal EDM crap :

OMG nooooooo

please don't tell me we're gonna see a shit ton of Chainsmoker/Bieber melodic vocal EDM crap :

If anything, I want to hear more stuff similar to DJ Snake's Pop-EDM hits. It ties perfectly with Pop and EDM. Not any of that The Chainsmoker's current shit. If DJ Snake can find more vocalists and a better understanding of writing lyrics, he could dominate the charts again. His direction was something I had hoped The Chainsmoker's would have gone for but here we are -_- This is strictly in a Mainstream talk. Not Mainstream EDM talk. Something that the can allow the mainstream easy access to more EDM-centric songs.

cj_iwakura

I am getting really, and I mean REALLY sick of DJs dropping rock songs into their sets as terrible 'remixes'. Even Aoki did it tonight with Welcome To The Black Parade.

Total buzzkill.

I haven't heard any new albums this year to my knowledge, but I'm sure my AOTY will be All Hail The Silence whenever I hear it.

Looking at new singles I picked up, uh... I guess my favorite would be 'We're Going Under' by Borgeous & Loud Luxury, though I only heard it this month and got addicted fast.

Top Bottom