• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Aomber

Firstly, Pogo has a new album

Weightless (Full Album) | Pogo

Anyway – You guys ever just forget how many people don't care about music?

Just saw that thread on the front page where a lot of people didn't know who Ariana Grande is. I mean, I totally get not liking her music, I'm not bumping ariana tracks or anything, but not having ever heard of her lol u wot m8

I dunno man, I don't think I'll ever stop being surprised by people's lack of attention to music. It's such a weird thing too because even with electronic dance music, to this day it's this huge titan of an industry but I often feel like so few people in real life actually know much about it at all.

cdyhybrid

Additional Day 1 of Countdown Notes:

Saw a one legged man pay a woman to have full on anal in the middle of Steve Aoki's set while his friend propped him up.

I've seen some shit.

Day 2 of Countdown:

Also Morgan Page and W&W were awesome.

2017 save me.
Is this a work?

Aomber

Gorillaz upload set under "Noodle" character to their Soundcloud. THE TEASE COULDN'T BE MORE REAL

私 Noodle❗️

In search of new sounds and new inspiration, I found these kick-ass women who in their own individual ways are true pioneers in the writing, production and creation of MUSIC. They have inspired me, and I hope they inspire you too.

Ake Ome!! あけおめ!!

Narrated by Delia Derbyshire and Evelyn Glennie
Mystere De Voix Bulgares (Bulgarian Women’s Choir) – Kaval Sviri
Anna Meredith – Nautilus
Lully – Slow D’s
Grimes – Realiti
Kali Uchi – Ridin Around
Fatima Al Quadiri – Szechuan
Empress Of – Woman is a Word
Haitus Kaiyote – Molasses
Laurie Anderson – O Superman
ABRA – Vegas
Mica Levi & Oliver Coates – Barok Main
Delia Derbyshire – Doctor Who

mr stroke

Additional Day 1 of Countdown Notes:

Saw a one legged man pay a woman to have full on anal in the middle of Steve Aoki's set while his friend propped him up.

I've seen some shit.

Day 2 of Countdown:

Also Morgan Page and W&W were awesome.

2017 save me.

056RO7D.jpg

Aomber

Has anyone here seen Armin in a club before? My friend is thinking of going to see him but tickets are pretty expensive and wants to know if it's worth it (95 bucks lol). I've seen him at Tomorrowland and EDC (as Gaia) but never in a club.

EDIT: Friend who saw him said it was 3 hours of trance. hmmmm that sounds pretty good to me but still let me know if anyone else has

DMczaf

Ive seen a couple do doggy style in a club before, right in the middle of the dance floor. No joke.

I believe it lol.

At Dreamstate I saw a girl riding her boyfriend under one of the rest tents.

Security broke them up like a couple of dogs

"Get off him!! GET OFF HIM!!!!"

I was dying lol

But seeing a handicap man pay for sex while his friend holds him up? Now I've seen't it.

Ashhong

Has anyone here seen Armin in a club before? My friend is thinking of going to see him but tickets are pretty expensive and wants to know if it's worth it (95 bucks lol). I've seen him at Tomorrowland and EDC (as Gaia) but never in a club.

EDIT: Friend who saw him said it was 3 hours of trance. hmmmm that sounds pretty good to me but still let me know if anyone else has

What club? He plays his mainstream stuff in clubs. Think main stage ultra. If he wants to go to hear ASOT music he's out of luck

Aomber

Honestly stuff like that is why I didn't really like EDC. I've never gone as far as seeing someone have sex in the crowd but after going to Tomorrowland, ironically even though I was in europe you didn't feel like you were surrounded by molly popping kids. I can't say I was ever bothered by the crowd there in fact it was one of the highlights of the festival.

Granted they have a sex church at TL where you can have a private session with your partner, but yeah, lol

What club? He plays his mainstream stuff in clubs. Think main stage ultra. If he wants to go to hear ASOT music he's out of luck
Marquee nyc. My friend who saw him was at Marquee Vegas but that was also during EDC week where there were more EDM fans.

Hmm, tough call. They're not exactly a huge EDM fan so I don't think it's that big a deal, but I'd be more inclined to recommend it at the price if it were actually trance

Ashhong

Honestly stuff like that is why I didn't really like EDC. I've never gone as far as seeing someone have sex in the crowd but after going to Tomorrowland, ironically even though I was in europe you didn't feel like you were surrounded by molly popping kids. I can't say I was ever bothered by the crowd there in fact it was one of the highlights of the festival.

Granted they have a sex church at TL where you can have a private session with your partner, but yeah, lol

Marquee nyc. My friend who saw him was at Marquee Vegas but that was also during EDC week where there were more EDM fans.

Hmm, tough call. They're not exactly a huge EDM fan so I don't think it's that big a deal, but I'd be more inclined to recommend it at the price if it were actually trance

I feel like the EDM audience in America is much more wild and ratchet than Europe.

It also depends on what your friend considers trance. He still plays........kind of trance stuff. But it's his more housey trance stuff. Hard to explain I guess

If he wants to go clubbing and Armin is just icing then could be worth it. But if he would be going just because ur telling him to see Armin I don't think it's worth

Aomber

I feel like the EDM audience in America is much more wild and ratchet than Europe.

It also depends on what your friend considers trance. He still plays........kind of trance stuff. But it's his more housey trance stuff. Hard to explain I guess

If he wants to go clubbing and Armin is just icing then could be worth it. But if he would be going just because ur telling him to see Armin I don't think it's worth

It really is. I went to two 21+ festivals in America before EDC and going to an 18+ festival was like night and day. You'd think there wouldn't be a huge difference but that's definitely not the case in Europe, Tomorrowland is 18+ but it was a very positive experience. Unfortunately the two 21+ festivals I went to were TomorrowWorld and Mysteryland, one of which is gone and the other has lowered their age limit.

Anyway yeah I hear you with Armin, I basically told them the same thing. I sent them two videos anyway of the two different types of sets so they can make a decision on that. Thanks!

Aomber

Not edm lol but here's a new goodie :D

The xx - Say Something Loving (Official Audio)

This, however, is not so much of a goodie. The production itself has some decent ideas but it's matched with just an overall generic song coming from Cashmere... Sounds like any rap radio hit and the featured artists are really generic. Wish he did something more interesting kinda like Flume did with Smoke & Retribution. I've only heard one track I like on this album so far, not sure how I feel about that.

Cashmere Cat - Throw Myself A Party (Audio) ft. Starrah, 2 Chainz, Tory Lanez

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all you folks posting some amazing music here. Long time lurker of the thread and only a recent subscriber. Been working my way back through the posts and I have been introduced to Flume and Pogo. For those two artists alone it has been well worth the visit and I just wanted to show my appreciation. Keep up the good work!

Ashhong

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all you folks posting some amazing music here. Long time lurker of the thread and only a recent subscriber. Been working my way back through the posts and I have been introduced to Flume and Pogo. For those two artists alone it has been well worth the visit and I just wanted to show my appreciation. Keep up the good work!

The Illenium remix of Flumes "Say It" is such a banger for me. Check it out! Sorry on mobile can't link right now

mr stroke

Ages ago at 1015 Folsom SF. When he used to play those 5-6 hour sets, they were legendary :eek:

Now a days I assume he's playing 1-2 hour club sets? I would tell your friend to go if he's into Armin's current big room sound. But if he's looking for GAIA stuff to pass, $95 is steep.

Aomber

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadmau5/comments/5lmlk2/1_million_plays/

deadmau5 said:
Upon my casual twitter lurking, i stumbled across this tweet... what caught my attention, was the notion that moving to LA for a year would get this guys career off the ground. Not that its a stupid idea, im not berating that... that's what he wanted, what he believed... so i found that commendable. But, i wanted to help the guy. I've been in the sam mindset of "gaaahdd, gotta get the fuck out of Niagara Falls, move to LA... make it big..." been there, done that. So i wanted to have a convo with the dude... so i hit him up with a DM on twitter.... while i was doing that... i clicked on his soundcloud link... and listened to a few of the songs... and LO AND BEHOLD... i found natural talent. Of course, all credit goes to him (and his brother) for producing and helping write some of the songs... and while as most of you know... its not, stylistically, my cup of tea.... i can still recognize talent when i hear it. I think he's got a great voice, and knowledge of how to apply it (without drowning babies in autotune) and amazing chord structures....
To sum it all up, im going to propose an offer.... i pledge, if this guy gets 1 million plays, I will fly him to mau5trap, and help him co-produce an album. I think we can make some really interesting stuff. :D
So..... you know what to do. Check his soundcloud out.... in all truthfulness, i think you'll enjoy it... even if its not your preferred style, i think youll all appriciate the time, thought, and talent that went into what he's put up there.

mr stroke

6k1A98A.jpg

Surprised to see Porter vs Madeon so high up there.

And God Damn whom ever is booking that Yuma tent deserves an award :eek:

Tale of Us, Richie Hawtin, Loco Dice, Dixon, Hot Since 82, etc.. They even put in obscure DJ's (at least for the USA) Four Tet, Bicep, Floating Points, etc..

Aomber

Such an awesome lineup this year why can I never go to it UGH

Also this track from that Gorillaz mix is SO GOOD

Fatima Al Qadiri - Szechuan

Forgot to reply to this earlier - it's our pleasure dude! Glad I could introduce someone to Pogo, my own creations have definitely been inspired by him. Anyway by all means come in and share stuff any time you want, we don't bite :p

I will fight you if you are talking shit about illenium

Regardless of how talented he is or not, there are way too many people riding on his coat tails. Like, I get it I do, but lower your expectations.

Also @Aomber, lol at your post about Ariana Grande. Not at you but what you were talking about, about GAF and their "knowledge" of famous folks. Google is just one or a few clicks away so stop being lazy and just google who said famous person is!

Aomber

Regardless of how talented he is or not, there are way too many people riding on his coat tails. Like, I get it I do, but lower your expectations.

Also @Aomber, lol at your post about Ariana Grande. Not at you but what you were talking about, about GAF and their "knowledge" of famous folks. Google is just one or a few clicks away so stop being lazy and just google who said famous person is!

Right? It'd take them less time to google it than to post about it LOL Granted I know there's obvious trolls but some people were serious

Also I wish I liked Illenium more because his actual music could be more interesting, he has the right idea with his chords and beautiful intros and stuff but then he turns into Flumenium for his drops lol.

Ashhong

I don't understand who you are talking about. What people are riding his coattails? Lower my expectations about what? Like idk why you brought him up in the beginning lol

Anth0ny

I understand the "deadmau5 set is boring" complaints. In a festival setting, people are just conditioned for a certain sound. When he closes the day and plays his shit, it's just a lot slower and chill than everything else.

I actually prefer him in a club setting for that reason, less of a stylistic clash when you haven't been outside (and high as a kite) listening to loud, energetic music for 8 hours.

Ashhong

I understand the "deadmau5 set is boring" complaints. In a festival setting, people are just conditioned for a certain sound. When he closes the day and plays his shit, it's just a lot slower and chill than everything else.

I actually prefer him in a club setting for that reason, less of a stylistic clash when you haven't been outside (and high as a kite) listening to loud, energetic music for 8 hours.

Yea I'll never fault people for not liking his sets. It can be slow as fuck, especially when you are there to rage

Right? It'd take them less time to google it than to post about it LOL Granted I know there's obvious trolls but some people were serious

Also I wish I liked Illenium more because his actual music could be more interesting, he has the right idea with his chords and beautiful intros and stuff but then he turns into Flumenium for his drops lol.

It's a combination of trolls and actual people who really don't pay any, any attention to culture that isn't "relevant" to them. It's also full of people who legit feel good about their ignorance of world culture :/

Yea, I share the same feeling about Illenium. It really doesn't help that I have a huge dislike for Future Bass (I've said this already but Flume and San Holo are the only two that I can tolerate when it comes to Future Bass) and Chill Trap (what some are now calling what we are listening to currently).

Also lttp but lol at people being upset at deadmau5 opening for dotcom, er, Marshmello. Fucking "ravers" man....

Edit: @Ashhong, I have no idea either way. I was way too inebriated when I said that (my initial post). I was just replying to your reply. But my god..... The Illenium fanboyism over at reddit and youtube are just stupid. It's like nearly every remix or track he puts out, people just goes crazy.

Aomber

I'm always conflicted about this discussion but I'm more inclined to agree with it recently. I watched his masterclass, and he basically said, he understand the whole thing about the "drop" but at the same time the crowd is full of adults and should be able to appreciate music without going "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands". That's true, and I definitely like what he does for what it is, but in the context of that Decadence festival he was playing between Porter Robinson and Marshmello. I mean, forget the whole Marshmello thing for a second - Porter's set is insanely energetic, if you go from that to minimal techno, that's the totally wrong order of things, it should go the other way around.

That being said, I bet you most of the people complaining just wouldn't appreciate the mau5 regardless. Let's be honest nobody who is a deadmau5 fan is gonna say "your set was mega boring but Marshmello was SICK!" What I'm saying is the fanbase just absolutely doesn't cross over, it's apples and oranges. I personally like someone doing something different and even if the context isn't the best, I think anyone who's a fan and can appreciate that stuff will like it regardless. I will say though there is something to be said about his older 2010/2011 sets. I'm all for his techno stuff but his sets are definitely not as energetic as that anymore, he doesn't play back to back bangers like FML, bad selection, etc which was actual good electro-house.

Edit: @Ashhong, I have no idea either way. I was way too inebriated when I said that (my initial post). I was just replying to your reply. But my god..... The Illenium fanboyism over at reddit and youtube are just stupid. It's like nearly every remix or track he puts out, people just goes crazy.
Not knocking illenium here, cause it's not his fault, but boy that pisses me off about EDM fans. They worship "been there done that" music which leaves less room for fresh and original music to rise.

Ashhong

It's a combination of trolls and actual people who really don't pay any, any attention to culture that isn't "relevant" to them. It's also full of people who legit feel good about their ignorance of world culture :/

Yea, I share the same feeling about Illenium. It really doesn't help that I have a huge dislike for Future Bass (I've said this already but Flume and San Holo are the only two that I can tolerate when it comes to Future Bass) and Chill Trap (what some are now calling what we are listening to currently).

Also lttp but lol at people being upset at deadmau5 opening for dotcom, er, Marshmello. Fucking "ravers" man....

Idk what to tell you. I was late to the party but I went back and listened to all of his remixes and it is straight fire. Every song has a nice emotional drop that hit me in the feels. How can you hate on his Flume remix?

And then I listened to the remix album for Ashes and it shot him straight up my list. The Afterlife remix by Dabin is amazing

Aomber

Idk what to tell you. I was late to the party but I went back and listened to all of his remixes and it is straight fire. Every song has a nice emotional drop that hit me in the feels. How can you hate on his Flume remix?

I don't know about blooded_hands but to me I don't find that interesting because he basically EDMified Flume. It's like, here's a bunch of saw waves with a slow attack to give that vroom vroom sound but let's add a nice snare build up to it and turn it into mr potato head EDM.

The whole point of the Flume project was that it wasn't supposed to be EDM it was supposed to be something completely different. That's why What So Not existed, WSN was the club project and Flume was the more artsy experimental project. Don't get me wrong, taking inspiration from something different is great, but now it's like everyone and their son, daughter, grandson, granddaughter, mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, and great grandparents are suddenly making vroom vroom music. I can honestly say that it's not bad, I don't hate it, but to me that isn't deserving of tens of millions of plays.

Aomber

You know what, I just realized something now and I wanna make a new post about it just to highlight how important this is.

Here is Flume's Disclosure remix

Disclosure - You & Me ft. Eliza Doolittle (Flume remix) Bart V.O.P's interpretation

No, it's not the original. Yep, it's a full orchestral version of the song. Take away all the production and you still have a great song with some really unique harmonies meanwhile everyone else is writing EDM chord progressions recycled a million times in pop progressive house.

And then I listened to the remix album for Ashes and it shot him straight up my list. The Afterlife remix by Dabin is amazing

I honestly don't like (dislike/don't like, not hate because I've never said I hated his music) his music and producer's who make music like it (Melodic Dubstep, Chill Trap, Future Bass) Just not my cup of whiskey. I'm sure I've called it trash before whether I was inebriated or not and it's not like me to say that, honestly. I've learned to just let people enjoy what they enjoy. Their music isn't hurting me in any way so I need to leave them alone.

What I have said it that I hate Future Bass besides a couple of producer's who make Future Bass.

Aomber

I'm a little high right now so I'm having trouble figuring out what saw attacks and vroom vroom sounds are lol
LAWL yeah that might make that a bit more difficult.

Well, for when you're more sober, imagine a piano. You hit a key and get an immediate audio response from the hammer hitting the string. Synthesis works in a similar way but we have a lot of flexibility in how that response is manipulated.

If you look at this graph, look at the "key down" and "attack" portion. If that red curve was pushed all the way to the left, you'd get an immediate response like playing a piano. But because it's not, there's a delay in the sound when the key is pressed, and the sound has to "ramp up" for a set amount of time before reaching full volume. The slower the attack, the longer it takes for the sound to reach full volume.

That's more or less how future bass is made with some other factors considered and this is way too nerdy for this thread

76183f59ae574a299eb4a10564f8fd2e.jpg

Aomber

Nothing's too nerdy to post, Aomber ^_^

We're on one of the nerdiest forum's on the internet! Lol
Hahaha to be fair that's definitely not that nerdy relatively speaking that's like synthesis 101. It's actually super easy to do which makes it super easy to copy *cough*

Ashhong

LAWL yeah that might make that a bit more difficult.

Well, for when you're more sober, imagine a piano. You hit a key and get an immediate audio response from the hammer hitting the string. Synthesis works in a similar way but we have a lot of flexibility in how that response is manipulated.

If you look at this graph, look at the "key down" and "attack" portion. If that red curve was pushed all the way to the left, you'd get an immediate response like playing a piano. But because it's not, there's a delay in the sound when the key is pressed, and the sound has to "ramp up" for a set amount of time before reaching full volume. The slower the attack, the longer it takes for the sound to reach full volume.

That's more or less how future bass is made with some other factors considered and this is way too nerdy for this thread

76183f59ae574a299eb4a10564f8fd2e.jpg

Ok I think I get it now. Idk, I love that sound right now haha. I am a big trancehead and I feel like this is kind of a close neighbor with the way the chords are structured. Like, something about those vroom vroom drops just really do it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8XIgR5OGJc

If you guys don't like future bass that's ok, everyone can be wrong about something =P. There's a lot of people doing it now but Illenium is doing it the best imo.

Huh..... Hardwell seems to be way more dedicated to the Hardstyle scene than I thought he was. Credit to r/edm, he has another track with Dr Phunk and it starts off decent. Reverse bass off the bat -> Hardwell & Dr Phunk - ID (Once Again)

Speaking of Hardstyle, I can really see the whole Big Room playlist with 15-30 minutes of Hardstyle taking off this year. It did exist a few years back but I can see it getting bigger this year. I wonder if we can get more mainstage DJ's doing the same but with a different genre? Armin usually mixes his stuff with Big Room, maybe a few Hardstyle tracks, and possibly ending with some Trance. I could maybe see that being the festival trend this year for mainstage playlists.

Aomber

Ok I think I get it now. Idk, I love that sound right now haha. I am a big trancehead and I feel like this is kind of a close neighbor with the way the chords are structured. Like, something about those vroom vroom drops just really do it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8XIgR5OGJc

If you guys don't like future bass that's ok, everyone can be wrong about something =P. There's a lot of people doing it now but Illenium is doing it the best imo.

I think maybe I wasn't explaining it right. I listen to Flume all the time and enjoy that sound from him. The difference is not only did he come up with that sound, the actual music is much more interesting to me, like Lorde - Tennis Court (Flume Remix)

It's possible to make something in any realm of music that isn't just straight up copying someone. It's fine if people enjoy that but I personally just see it as producers taking the easy route and not exploring the limitless possibilities. I mean, there were guys who were doing "future bass" before Flume (ex. Hudson Mohawke) and Flume just came up with a slightly different way of doing it.

Like I said Illenium has the right idea but... It's not something I'd listen to.

Top Bottom