• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM July 2008 Reviews and Rumors

Vinci

Danish
JudgeN said:
Thats wonderful and all but some people didn't ask video gaming to be "mainstream". Alot of people never gave a good shit what society thought of people who do enjoy video gamers. Games you enjoy will not go away but by going mainstream you generally dumb it down so everyone can enjoy it. As a gamer I don't want my games dumb down nor do I care wether society finds gaming acceptable form of entertainment. Even though the 130+ million PS2 owners think that it already is.

Let me ask you a question or two:

(1) Are the genuinely big games - the GTAs, the Halos, etc. and so on - not getting made or underperforming? Are they bombing massively?

(2) Has this 'dumbing down' process actually affected developer output in any noticeable way?

JudgeN

Vinci said:
Let me ask you a question or two:

(1) Are the genuinely big games - the GTAs, the Halos, etc. and so on - not getting made or underperforming? Are they bombing massively?

(2) Has this 'dumbing down' process actually affected developer output in any noticeable way?

1.) Not yet, but as the Wii continues to own the map those games could dramaticly change to fit the Wii demographics. Now I know your going to say those game can sell on the Wii but developers don't believe that is so.

2.) Output no, but quality yes.

Vinci

Danish
JudgeN said:
1.) Not yet, but as the Wii continues to own the map those games could dramaticly change to fit the Wii demographics. Now I know your going to say those game can sell on the Wii but developers don't believe that is so.

I wasn't going to say that actually. I was going to say that games that sell are going to continue to sell regardless of what the Wii does. The only thing happening right now is that Nintendo is beating Sony and Microsoft. This doesn't mean anything to developers whose games are continuing to sell well regardless and are meeting expectations. My point is: This doesn't affect the software, only the hardware.

2.) Output no, but quality yes.

In what products?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Pojo said:
It'll probably hurt GT5's sales, too. Everyone that I know that bought the game thought it was the sequel.

I never thought of that. When the real GT5 comes out, some people might feel that Sony is double dipping. Then again, I just assumed that mostly everyone was clear on what Prologue offered.

Pojo

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
I never thought of that. When the real GT5 comes out, some people might feel that Sony is double dipping. Then again, I just assumed that mostly everyone was clear on what Prologue offered.
Heh, you'd be surprised. To many, it was just "that new Gran Turismo game."

raviolico

hm...maybe the Ollie King Wii port rumor is without substance... :((

from the seganerds forum:

i'm not buying that rumor just yet until i get more information. The problem i have is that OLLIE KING is part of some legal dispute which may pervent Sega from using the game until its cleared up like a similar legal dispute did with SC5. And as far as i know the case is still pending.

What legal case exactly was that?

The guy that created the ollie skateboard trick Alan "ollie" Gelfand got miffed that big companies were basically cashing in on the name and trick he created so he launched a big money suit against Disney(the worst offender) Sega and Activision. As far as i know the case is still pending so Sega really can't do anything with the game until its all sorted out if it has been. considering the potential earnings from the Wii could make Sega will be opening a minefield. that's why i don't think its true. So far Sega has been lucky with lawsuits they won the SC5 one, and one law suit managed them not only to get one over EA.

Ashhong said:
is there proof of this? thats pretty fucking ridiculous if true. i refuse to believe any publication would abide by that rule, and therefore the publisher wouldn't do it

Interesting that this was just posted today to MTV's multiplayers blog.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/05/28/video-game-company-to-wii-reviewer/

The subject of how game companies communicate with game reviewers came up a few times while I interviewed former GameSpot reviewer Alex Navarro. And wouldn’t you know that, without missing a beat, he was able to produce a memorable note he received a couple of years ago.

This, he said, demonstrated the way the communication sometimes works. “I have a note in my hand that came from a PR person surrounding a certain Wii launch game,” Navarro told me.

This is the note he was sent by a publicist whom he declined to name:

If the review is 9.0 or higher you can post immediately. Lower than 9.0, could you please hold until launch day, November 19th? Thanks.

“And that’s not the first time I got something like that,” he told me. Navarro said GameSpot ran their review for this game based on a copy bought in a store. And they panned it.

Bebpo said:
Yeah, but keep in mind that Aeana likes everything. I take her posts with a grain of salt.

I'll be honest here: my hit/miss ratio on following Aeana's recommendations has been a lot better than on following yours.

Aeana

Bebpo said:
Yeah, but keep in mind that Aeana likes everything. I take her posts with a grain of salt.

I... do? I've only played two games this whole year that I've liked.
I wonder what led you to such a conclusion.

I do start out positively on a lot of games, but so do you. :)

Top Bottom