• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Wow, seventy replies in just a few minutes.

That Lair review came out of left field - I thought it was going to be in the 7-8 range at the least. I'm also perplexed by the Blue Dragon scores. It was pretty much universally praised, even by GAFers importing it. I thought the translation would be to blame, but sounds like they just didn't like the core game.

Needless to say, the Halo 3 stuff is what I'm lusting for.

Pretty much what I expected. Lair looked generic/messy to me in both graphics and gameplay, Blue Dragon demo was like a dumbed down version of Xenosaga 2 + Dragon Quest VIII, Dynasty Warriors Gundam seems on par.

Darji

Banned
I blame Nintendo for these scores.....

How can games like brainage have better ratings than Lair or Blue Dragon....

Odysseus

Banned
SantaC said:
heh I didn't buy a single factor 5 game for gamecube

in the interest of full disclosure, i was drawn in by rogue leader at the gamecube launch and never made it past the sixth or seventh mission.

Lobster

Banned
Xeke said:
I'm American and I love soccer. Ever since AYSO as a kid.

I plan on getting Strikers because it just looks fun and it's soccer.

Thats good cause the game is really worth it.

Meta-Knight said:
Why does everyone consider everything under 9 as a bad score -_-
7.5 is good, especially coming from EGM. And no reviewer gave it a lower score, which is good.
I know that it won't stop me from getting this game!

Because I really can't find anything wrong with the game. Play it and maybe you'll agree with me. The games graphics are greater then the majority of Wii titles, the Waggle isn't overdone, theres a ton of stuff to do in single player and then you get online..

This game is basically the equivalent of what Mario Kart is to DS.

Darkpen

Banned
Bebpo said:
edit* WTF AT BLUE DRAGON?!!

Oh boy, I guess once again no one in the US like the traditional jrpg, even if it's REALLY GOOD
. @_@
lol, wtf? Did you not notice the GOTM Persona 3? That's as Japanese as you can GET.

vertopci

Seiken said:
DQeJxYlDD.jpg

Was this supposed to be funny? Cuz I don't see the funny.

Tideas

Banned
WOw, is it me, or did the trolls/naysayers just jumped out of the wood or something?

Before this review, I've seen only one or two people say they're expecting Lair to score low.

All of the sudden, after 1 review, all of these naysayers come out of the wood to say, "oh, I expected it to get low"

WTF?!?! lol.

Yoboman

I kinda expected Lair to bomb to some degree. But Blue Dragon?? I was expecting that to be AAA all around, bomba total

GhaleonEB

Tideas said:
WOw, is it me, or did the trolls/naysayers just jumped out of the wood or something?

Before this review, I've seen only one or two people say they're expecting Lair to score low.

All of the sudden, after 1 review, all of these naysayers come out of the wood to say, "oh, I expected it to get low"

WTF?!?! lol.
Three reviews, actually.

Tideas said:

WTF?!?! lol.
That's because if you go into a thread with a minority viewpoint, people will automatically call you a troll, then get banned.

traveler

Not Wario
Err, that Mario Strikers score isn't bad in any way. Dunno what some of you are on about.

And the Blue Dragon score is exactly what I would have expected given the demo. I was hoping it wasn't representative of the final game, but seeing this confirms it. (It wasn't bad in any means; it just didn't stand out to me in any way.)

Whoa at Lair though. Wouldn't have expected that given the track record present and the way the game looked. Wonder what happened.

On the other end of the spectrum, holy crap at Persona 3! Guess I should have been paying attention all along.

NinSoX

Banned
Tideas said:

WTF?!?! lol.

People were afraid to say it but I am sure many expected it to score pretty average.

rpgfan16k

grandjedi6 said:
All that is left in the August showdown to be reviewed is Metroid Prime 3 and Bioshock right?

Honestly, in my case anyway, yeah. MP3 is gonna be my savior, I hope (says prayer for straight 10s).

For the record, Blue Dragon is still mine on day one...EGM obviously is on an Atlus-love spree (see Odin Sphere scores), and is too busy in the Velvet room to appreciate the intricacies of pre-rendered dragon skin and poo snakes.

It's the only rationalization I can muster, folks. Can anyone come up with something better?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Beef said:
Dont toy with my emotions : (

Whats my triple gonna do this month now?
Warhawk and Ratchet & Clank Demo.

Zilch

Banned
Maybe people who aren't surprised at the low score don't feel the need to go into every Lair thread and smugly tell everyone that they expect the game to review badly?

edit: this was in reply to Tideas' post above.

Tideas said:

WTF?!?! lol.

Uh, the doubt surrounding this game has been strong. From all camps, mind you.

Odysseus

Banned
Tideas said:

WTF?!?! lol.

it's called holding your tongue beforehand to avoid the appearance of impropriety. but once the reviews come in, it's time to say "see, i would have told you so but you would have just whined and flamed and labelled me a troll so i didn't tell you, but believe me when i say that i wanted to tell you. i so would have."

or something like that.

MrDaravon

Remember on the EGM scale, 6.5 is "average." BD being rated average/slightly above average doesn't surprise me at all, but Lair is a surprise :lol . This is why publishers hate EGM.

Tideas said:

WTF?!?! lol.

It doesn't matter in the end because the game will still sell over a million. It is exclusive and a lot of the PS3 gamers are starved for content that can't be found elsewhere. It's a shame that the game didn't score better, but this isn't unexpected. If Heavenly Sword fails to deliver then the Internet will explode, however.

Tideas

Banned
Odysseus said:
it's called holding your tongue beforehand to avoid the appearance of impropriety. but once the reviews come in, it's time to say "see, i would have told you so but you would have just whined and flamed and labelled me a troll so i didn't tell you, but believe me when i say that i wanted to tell you. i so would have."

or something like that.

SO what happens when IGN gives it a 8, and Gamespot gives it an 8.8?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Beef said:
Dont toy with my emotions : (

Whats my triple gonna do this month now?

Play a copy of LAIR that you rented and WARHAWK!

no warhawk review, beezel?

Thermite

the Blue Dragon review score sounds fair, judging from the demo.

I'm really surprised by the Lair score however, I thought 1up/EGM liked the game.

Beef

grandjedi6 said:
All that is left in the August showdown to be reviewed is Metroid Prime 3 and Bioshock right?

Did reviews for Two Worlds come out already? I know its not a megaton or anything of the such, but it could be fun-ish

Tideas said:

WTF?!?! lol.

Its you.

Bebpo

Banned
Yoboman said:
But Blue Dragon?? I was expecting that to be AAA all around, bomba total

It is AAA.

Blue Dragon has screen-tearing, slowdown in battle, which are annoying but don't effect anything gameplay-wise and the first disc is a VERY slow ramp up (the game really doesn't take off until the final dungeon of disc1). Otherwise it's AAA through and through.

The story is good, the characters are really likeable, and the world is as good as any FF/DQ title. Great dungeons, tons of sidestuff, good battle system, etc...it's the real deal for rpg fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom