• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM subscriptions are up.

coopolon

Can someone explain to me why they are so excited for this magazine?

I had a year subscription to EGM and it was shit. Same old boring previews (always with a big cover story), reviews, etc. that every other gaming magazine does. If you want that, why not just get it free with Game Informer?

And the staff...when Steve Harris was running EGM, wasn't it the absurd, poorly written, focused on 12 year old mag that we've all laughed at? Like isn't that around the time when we've heard all these stories on EMG live, sore thumbs blog, player one podcast, etc. about people writing reviews based on cover art, etc. It was all funny stuff because it was all a thing of the past, but now that same editor in chief is relaunching the magazine and everyone is hyped?

Dan Hsu I guess I can understand.

Co-Op team: These guys are video producers right? That's why they were hired at 1up, to make videos. That's what they've been doing since leaving 1up, making videos. Why is it good news that all of a sudden they are writing for a magazine?

Sean Baby: Great, now we get to read more "funny" stories about Phil Collins.

Plus, they're obviously running a shady deal with this whole digital issue stuff. And is there any security when they go under? Will we get a refund on our subscription fees? I don't even think they'll be able to send out Maxim.

Thomper

coopolon said:
Can someone explain to me why they are so excited for this magazine?

I had a year subscription to EGM and it was shit. Same old boring previews (always with a big cover story), reviews, etc. that every other gaming magazine does. If you want that, why not just get it free with Game Informer?

And the staff...when Steve Harris was running EGM, wasn't it the absurd, poorly written, focused on 12 year old mag that we've all laughed at? Like isn't that around the time when we've heard all these stories on EMG live, sore thumbs blog, player one podcast, etc. about people writing reviews based on cover art, etc. It was all funny stuff because it was all a thing of the past, but now that same editor in chief is relaunching the magazine and everyone is hyped?

Dan Hsu I guess I can understand.

Co-Op team: These guys are video producers right? That's why they were hired at 1up, to make videos. That's what they've been doing since leaving 1up, making videos. Why is it good news that all of a sudden they are writing for a magazine?

Sean Baby: Great, now we get to read more "funny" stories about Phil Collins.

Plus, they're obviously running a shady deal with this whole digital issue stuff. And is there any security when they go under? Will we get a refund on our subscription fees? I don't even think they'll be able to send out Maxim.
Sure, there's some valid concerns in there, but I have to address one thing: the Area5/Co-Op guys will probably not be there just to write stuff. The press release when they joined the new EGM said this:
Together the EGM-Area 5 alliance will create new and exclusive content for both the EGM print magazine as well as video programming in the pages of EGM(i): The Digital Magazine. “The new shows being developed will adhere to the high standards of both brands,” Harris continued. “The Area 5 team will also be tasked with supplying exclusive game video, commentary, and edited footage for all facets of the new EGM experience.”
Area5 is a video production company, so they'll likely just be creating video content for the new EGM's digital edition.

Akainu

celebi23 said:
Looks like we're getting the "Lost Issue" too :D

EGM-I_COVER.jpg

I'm guessing the digital versions will be very similar to that. Going to subscribe tomorrow :D
Is one of those ten things, "subtle beauty"?

When can one expect free subscriptions.

Hobbun

I have always liked print media. But with them having both print and digital as a subscription, is basically the print going to be recap of what they said for the last month during their digital subscription?

FortNinety said:
I'm pretty shocked that so many have put their money down on something that, honestly, no one has really seen or knows about.

Don't get me wrong, I want EGM back, and am a total advocate of the print format. But still...

I figured with Shoe runnin the mag (right?) and the Area 5 guys contributing, Ill take a chance on it. Lord knows I have wasted $25 on stupider shit than this

Hobbun said:
I have always liked print media. But with them having both print and digital as a subscription, is basically the print going to be recap of what they said for the last month during their digital subscription?

I doubt it, since every subscriber has access to the print and the digital, I would hope for a fair amount of fresh content in both, but we will see.

I just hope they give Area 5 the budget to make them work their magic

Cynar

Canada:
64 issues for $54.99 U.S.
32 issues for $34.99 U.S

:lol

awful prices compared to the US ones. I hate pricing on books, our dollar is no where near as bad as it used to be.

Superfrog

Regarding international subscriptions:

Currently the offer is available only to North American readers but we'll be providing an option for our fans outside the country in the very near future.

-> http://www.egmnow.com/

I really hope that it'll soon be possible for us Europeans to subscribe to the printed magazine (alongside the digital issues)..

Rodhull

KittyKittyBangBang said:
I figured with Shoe runnin the mag (right?) and the Area 5 guys contributing, Ill take a chance on it. Lord knows I have wasted $25 on stupider shit than this

I don't think Shoe's running it. Pretty sure he's just contributing to it whilst still running Bitmob.

Subscribed. Really interested to see what they end up doing with the digital editions. They sound potentially fantastic.

But really though, why don't they charge more? Subscriptions have been $19.99 my entire life. Add in inflation, and they have to be making hardly any money! I would easily be willing to pay more for a premium experience, a la Edge Magazine.

daegan

I was surprised when the name was bought, I was pleased when they brought back Shoe and the other ex-EGM staff, and I was impressed when I saw they got Brady Fiechter from Play.

So they got my $25 on more than just nostalgia.

DominoKid said:
is there an option for just the 12 monthly? cause i dont really care about the digital issues.

Does it look like there is an option?

So you are saying you want to somehow pay LESS than $2 an issue.

daegan said:
I was surprised when the name was bought, I was pleased when they brought back Shoe and the other ex-EGM staff, and I was impressed when I saw they got Brady Fiechter from Play.

Holy shit, so who is editor in chief of Play now? I know Halverson gave it to Brady, but what about now? I haven't read Play in many moons, it used to be my favorite magazine.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'll be signing up tomorrow. Never realized how much I used to look forward to EGM every month. GI is not the same.

Mithel

Neo Member
Can my childhood nostalgia for Sushi-X defeat my bitter cynicism? Only time will tell...

Maybe drop the prices for Canada? That would definitely help. Just sayin'

stewy

CoachKevin said:
I just signed up. I am hoping for the best with the new EGM, but I am still a little worried that I won't get to read/hear from my favorite personalities from years past like Shane, Garnet, Johnny England, Bryan Intihar, ect.

Why would you think you would hear from any of those people? Everyone you named works elsewhere - some even at competing publishers.

Ramma2

I'll probably pick up the first few issues at a news stand to see what they're like. EGMs were great for casual reading, when they went away I tried Edge for a while. Toooo many words hurt brain! =P

hednik4am

WEB = gaming news and short blips

Video Game Magazine = Articles, great art, awesome toliet reading = EGM getting my money

I'm gonna wait till i can buy one issue on news stands before i decide whether to subscribe. Theirs no way i would subscribe to a magazine without knowing how its gonna be.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Already subscribed but i wonder if the news stand issues will have some sort of Digital pack in to access the weekly stuff or some of it. Maybe a special code or DVD.

Owensboro

Welp, I said I'd buy a subscription when you came back, and I meant it EGM.

Please don't make me regret this. You got a year to make me want to re-subscribe. Good luck duders!

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Looks like they cleared up the subscriptions on the site to be less shady.

Now it says

12 print issues and 52 digital issues for $24.99 -ONLY 40¢ an issue!
6 print issues and 26 digital issues for $14.99 - ONLY 47¢ an issue!

Good to see them do this.

Irish said:
Shady company practices? More like idiot Gaf in full force.

You must be the only person that didn't have a problem with the way they were advertising it... and as Metalic Sand reported, the misleading/confusing wording has now been corrected on their subscription site... acknowledgment that there was a problem with it, so way to go.

Resurrect Gamefan. Magazines haven't been the same since then. I want pages printed on posterboard.

!!!
I'm glad there's a person who appreciate Gamefan. Gamefan has and will always be my favorite magazine.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
ICallItFutile said:
Way to lose them a subscription junior.

Would you prefer that he had lied and not said anything and then the other guy wasted his money on content that he CLEARLY stated he didnt want if Sean was still there?

Knock off the junior bs too....you were one once.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
MikeE21286 said:
honestly....I have to wait and see what it is like. The first issue will be VERY telling IMO. I want to support this (mainly on principle only) but I don't read game mags that much anymore.

Pretty much. I'm happy it's getting another chance, but I'm not gonna "blind buy" at this point.

I fully get why I'd want a magazine even in today's age though, but I'm only gonna keep one or two subscriptions. Because of this I'm gonna be picky obviously. I'm in limbo right now on what I want since my subs are up to. I might pick up this. I kind of like Play's card stock and art even if I disagree with their reviews, but it appears the magazine is in limbo. I read the Heavy Rain issue of Game Pro and that seemed cool now that John took over. So not sure what I want to do mag wise right now.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The digital subscription sounds cool. Kinda like AutoWeek, but for video games, and it's e-mailed to you. I can dig it.

Not, being Canadian, I'm thinking I might go for this. I think I used to get two years for that price, but the 52 digital weekly's sort of makes up for it. Especially since they are weekly.

Top Bottom