• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring reported 30 hours to complete main route

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

"This will differ significantly by player but in terms of targets set during development, the idea is that the main route should be able to be completed within around 30 hours," Kitao said. "The game as a whole is quite massive, and contains many dozens more hours worth of gameplay but if we are talking about the main route only, it shouldn't take much longer than that."

Comparable games

Dark Souls recorded average 42.5 hours to complete, 105 hours to 100 %
BOTW recorded average 50 hours, 189 hours to 100%
The Witcher 3 recorded average 3 51.5 hours, 173 hours to 100%

What say you NEOGAF?

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

Yea miyazaki stated this a long time ago. People are misjudging the open world in elden ring. Its not your typical open world game.

I don't mind as long as there is plenty of side content. You could easily beat BoTW in 25 hours without any difficulty, that would sorta defeat the point.

I also don't buy these estimates most the time. Before I started DS3 most estimates I read said 35 hours to beat the main story. I'm well over 40 hours and only at the profaned capital. Not trying to get any trophies or anything, just pushing the story forward.

Swift_Star

Banned
What the hell, i would think just the open world nature and huge map would increase that by a lot. Unless there's crazy shortcuts ala BOTW.
Main route is generally around 30h for open world games not named asscreed, this is pretty average. The game will have a lot of side content, though.

Swift_Star

Banned
I don't mind as long as there is plenty of side content. You could easily beat BoTW in 25 hours without any difficulty, that would sorta defeat the point.

I also don't buy these estimates most the time. Before I started DS3 most estimates I read said 35 hours to beat the main story. I'm well over 40 hours and only at the profaned capital. Not trying to get any trophies or anything, just pushing the story forward.
It certainly depends on player and build, I finished demon souls in 12h and the average is 23h so…

the thought of getting all the gwent cards gives me a panic attack.
Are they that hard to get? I must admit I don't understand the fascination with the gwent mini game but to each their own. I did enjoy Witcher 3 when I played it but realised there were more and more missions opening up in the game world as I went along and looking at the map gave me a panic attack.
There was no way I was going to finish all that and just noped out. Also combat became boring very quickly. I really wish they'd put more effort into that part of the game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I never got the impression that this game and its world are as HUGE as some seem to believe, on the contrary I think it's quite a bit smaller than your typical modern open world game. So this makes sense to me. Sure, it's larger than any Souls game, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will take longer to complete. The Souls games have barely any "dead" space at all, they're packed, and you move very slowly through them, section by section. This one definitely has more space that's mostly there for you to traverse, so it being larger will be offset by you moving much faster through it than in any previous game.

Last edited:
Are they that hard to get? I must admit I don't understand the fascination with the gwent mini game but to each their own. I did enjoy Witcher 3 when I played it but realised there were more and more missions opening up in the game world as I went along and looking at the map gave me a panic attack.
There was no way I was going to finish all that and just noped out. Also combat became boring very quickly. I really wish they'd put more effort into that part of the game.
no clue, I just know I've failed getting some cards (without even trying to get them) due to the choices I've made during certain quests.

they might still be obtainable some other way, but for example...

I had a sidequest that said to win a unique card off the Barron...then I failed it once the Barron committed suicide

not sure how common stuff like that is. I've never beat the game and currently putting my play through on hold until next gen upgrade gets released.

Last edited:
I never got the impression that this game and its world are as HUGE as some seem to believe, I rather think it's smaller than your typical modern open world game. So this makes sense to me. Sure, it's larger than any Souls game, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will take longer to complete. The Souls games have barely any "dead" space at all, they're packed, and you move very slowly through them, section by section. This one definitely has more space that's mostly there for you to traverse, so it being larger will be offset by you moving much faster through it than in any previous game.

There probably also isn’t a lot of map points leading to just like endless sidequest from npcs. It will probably be just like any other souls games where you will be lucky if you bump into a sidequest and you’re able to do it in the manner they want you to

Winter John

I don't understand this modern obsession with game length. It's the dumbest shit possible and has lead to developers churning out bloated trash like Ass Creed Valhalla. It doesn't happen in any other medium. Nobody ever said, "War and Peace is great but I wish it had 900 extra pages."

V4skunk

Banned
So typical length of a souls game. I don’t think the open world will be as expansive as people think

Which is good, 30 hours with loads of optional stuff is ideal for an open world game. Fuck that ubisoft mess.

Very rarely is a game justified for being over 40 hours these days
No Soulsborne takes 30 hours first run unless you are reading a guide/faq.

Last edited:
no clue, I just know I've failed getting some cards (without even trying to get them) due to the choices I've made during certain quests.

they might still be obtainable some other way, but for example...

I had a sidequest that said to win a unique card of the Barron...then I failed it once the Barron committed suicide

not sure how common stuff like that is. I've never beat the game and currently putting my play through on hold until next gen upgrade gets released.
Geez that sounds terrible lol. Terrible if you only have one way of obtaining these cards. Barron is a bit of a dick though for not giving you that chance lol

Meicyn

Gold Member
I don't understand this modern obsession with game length. It's the dumbest shit possible and has lead to developers churning out bloated trash like Ass Creed Valhalla. It doesn't happen in any other medium. Nobody ever said, "War and Peace is great but I wish it had 900 extra pages."
Seriously.

One of my favorite RPGs of all time is Panzer Dragoon Saga. Excellent story, strong gameplay, straight to the point. Game lasts about 12 hours and does not overstay its welcome.

Quality versus quantity… there’s a place for both, in my view.

FrankWza

So, 60-80. The network test was 10 hours to complete and it’s supposed to be 1/8 of the game.
Oh I see. Main route. Fuck that I’m not rushing

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
30 hours without grinding to level-up and beat the bosses on the main route?
Spider Man Lol GIF

Kenpachii

Nevermind this, that fucking Witcher 3 (175 hours) to complete 100% has me triggered.

Who the fuck is going to 100% that game?

100% the game in the last few weeks, its actually 123 hours. Unless u probably play the hardest difficulty i guess which just takes u 50 hours of playing hide and seek i guess.

Anyway 30 hours sounds a bit lowish.

Last edited:

Orpheum

I usually finish the first playthrough of souls Games in around 12-15 hours. I've gotten so terrible due to no practise i expect at least 50 hours for this

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Anyway 30 hours sounds a bit lowish.
To me it’s good length and don’t forget we might need to do extra quests or find specific item for true ending similar to Sekiro.

Also assuming we can beat the bosses on first try.

cireza

Very good news. This means that the player does have the liberty to skip things. World Map did not look huge anyway. It will probably be stacked.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

To me it’s good length and don’t forget we might need to do extra quests or find specific item for true ending similar to Sekiro.

Also assuming we can beat the bosses on first try.

Yea lets hope game is riddled with content outside of the main quest.

Spaceman292

Banned
It's very hard to put a time on Souls games. But Dark Souls 2 is the longest one and also the worst one. I think Bloodborne is the shortest, and also the best.

Tommi84

30hours? That's dissapointingly short for an open world. Well, let's see how much side activities there is and the quality of the game of course ;)

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

30 hours?

Listen here, dudeguyman, by hour 30 I will still be falling off my fucking horse and getting tag teamed by basic enemies.

I feel personally insulted.

rofif

Banned
Dark Souls took me 55 hours first play through.
All of these games take 20-25 when I replay them.
These games are huge. You can take hours doing side stuff.

Imo - the shorter, the better. I prefer quality over qty... except souls games always had both and amazing replayability :p

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me the game can be 10 hours long or 100 hours long it really doesn't matter, what I ultimately want is satisfying experience.

Bartski

Gold Member
These numbers literally make no sense, I think that's a rough estimate for an average Joe skipping all the side content. What does it even mean?

Dark Souls 3 average playtime is 32 hours. Sekiro's average playtime is 30 hours, average top20 glitchless speedrun (no cheats just perfectly blasting through the game) is around 30 minutes.

Just about everything in Elden RIng that isn't a "legacy dungeon" is optional. With my gaming OCD, that probably translates to 100h+ and that's just the first playthrough where I'm sure to do at least 2 or 3 back to back as these games are all about replayability.

Top Bottom