• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring reported 30 hours to complete main route

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This sounds absolutely perfect. Will be around 70 hours for me on my first play through and I won’t even notice it, like other souls games.

Gaelyon

It's 30 hours in straight line, without any extra exploration, any optional boss or dungeon, and without multiple dying to every boss. So more like 60+ hours for any player.
Also the demo had a "golden path" to follow to get to the main boss in an hour or so, or you could explore, fight many boss, talk to extra npc and loot new weapons/spells/armor doing so for like 5+ hours...

Last edited:

Skifi28

So, how many times do I need to complete it for 500 hours? They should at least answer the important questions first.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Who cares about the main route anyway, half of the fun here will be exploring the world.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That's fine, who's planning on mainlining the first open world Souls games and ignoring the side content...?

Saber

Gold Member
I'm guessing this will be further expanded because you either get lost in the main road or you stop for something(beating a boss, explore a cave/tomb, etc). So in the end will be way beyond 30 hours.

Last edited:

Outlier

Well... considering I put in over 120 hours in DS2 SOTFS, without seeing even half the bosses, I'm not sure that's a good thing for me. haha

But I did beat DS3 in much less time, so maybe there's hope.

rofif

Banned
Well... considering I put in over 120 hours in DS2 SOTFS, without seeing even half the bosses, I'm not sure that's a good thing for me. haha

But I did beat DS3 in much less time, so maybe there's hope.
Dark Souls 2 is the biggest souls 100%

Thank god! Give me 30 hours of awesome content over an additional 20-30 of fluff that I don’t need just to pad the game out. Also, for most it will be longer than 30 hours just down to exploration and dying a bunch of times.

This is a non-issue and if anything good news.

Skifi28

Souls games don't have side missions. Everything feels natural in the world.

With the open world design of Elden Ring, I have no idea what the 'mission structure' will be.
Well, I wouldn't expect NPCs with question marks over their heads telling you to go kill 15 monsters. I'd say we have a pretty good idea how from does things. Open world or not, it really is a souls game. We already know from the beta there's tons of optional dungeons with nice rewards.

Shifty1897

Nevermind this, that fucking Witcher 3 (175 hours) to complete 100% has me triggered.

Who the fuck is going to 100% that game?
I did, and yeah it took me about 180 hours.

Skyrim's main quest was 30 hours and no one complained about that game being short.

Last edited:
Makes sense.

I think this will be a point A to point B type of game like other FROM games. You could go straight for the main dungeon if you wanted.

Your not gonna be staying in one area continuing doing missions like other open worlds which pad out the length.

Based on the demo I'm sure this will easily have the most content of any From game.

Anyway you haven't truly beaten a From Game until you've defeated all the Bosses :messenger_winking_tongue:

Fbh

Good.

25-40 hours is the sweet spot for an RPG main story length. 90% of the time games which are longer than that only get there through bloat and repetition.

splattered

I'm personally happy to hear 30 hours, I don't have the time to invest in enormous games like I used to. For this type of game I think 30 is excellent plus side quests.

Kssio_Aug

Seems about right to me. Not too long, not too short. It's pretty obvious that it will have content for a lot of extra hours for pursuers though.

I see this as 30 hours minimum. Most players will do at least some of the optional stuff, so I'm guessing the average playtime will be much higher, around 45-50 hours I would say. And Souls fans are going to put even more into this game.

So there is no need to say "disappointing".

DavidGzz

I wonder how they figure this out. Take the average game tester times? Sounds awesome to me. 30 hours would be fine but knowing that is if you run straight through following all the waypoints, I know it will be much longer for me. I'm covering every inch of the map and most likely running more than one build at a time.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
seems about right for a from software game but it's a bit disappointing.

DS1 took me 29 hours. DS2 was 42. DS3 was 31. Bloodborne was 34. Sekiro was 46.

i enjoyed all those games so i'm sure i'll still have fun with elden ring

Top Bottom