• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Arena (formerly CQC) Standalone PVP Module Released Today

https://community.elitedangerous.com/arena

Today we are very excited to announce the launch of a new stand-alone product, Elite Dangerous: Arena. Arena is the PVP mode already in Elite Dangerous so all players who own Elite Dangerous or Elite Dangerous: Horizons will already have access to it. Simply select Arena (previously labelled CQC) from the in-game main menu to play.

However, we believe Elite Dangerous: Arena is a compelling game in its own right and want to offer it to players whose main goal is to play fast paced PVP space combat action. This will open Elite Dangerous to a whole new group of players, all of whom you can play against in the Close Quarter Combat Championships (CQC) in Arena mode in Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous: Horizons. So if you haven’t played CQC already we have a number of challenges starting today that you can join in with.

Elite Dangerous: Arena is available to new players right now on our store and on steam for £4.99/$7.49.

https://www.elitedangerous.com/en/arena/

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/443080/
Frontier Store: https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/games/elite-dangerous-cat/elite-dangerous-arena.html/

Those who own the full game already have access. The biggest issue for CQC was player population. I hope this boosts those numbers. I'd love to get into it.

mnannola

Honestly the core flying and combat mechanics for Elite is the best thing about the game. It's a cheap way to introduce people to the game and CQC is pretty fun. It does need some more polish though, things like leaderboards, etc.

I'll get in this as soon as I can have a smooth vr experience.

Which includes that stupid ass supercruise frame rate when using AMD cards.

DrBo42

CQC was a cool distraction from the main game but never deep enough to keep or deserve your attention for long periods of time. Maybe this means they're looking to expand on it but honestly considering how lacking the main game is on content, I can't say I'm thrilled resources are further being devoted to this.

CQC was a cool distraction from the main game but never deep enough to keep or deserve your attention for long periods of time. Maybe this means they're looking to expand on it but honestly considering how lacking the main game is on content, I can't say I'm thrilled resources are further being devoted to this.

I haven't spent anytime in CQC, I've only watched videos and streams. It seemed like pretty standard arena deathmatch, capture the flag style game with the smaller agile fighters with some load out options. When you say it lacks depth, what do you mean?

I feel the fragmentation of this game is confusing. I already have Elite: Dangerous in my library and Elite Dangerous: Horizons and now there's gonna be a third entry? I don't understand what's the benefit of making everything a standalone when they're all clearly parts of the same core game.

I feel the fragmentation of this game is confusing. I already have Elite: Dangerous in my library and Elite Dangerous: Horizons and now there's gonna be a third entry? I don't understand what's the benefit of making everything a standalone when they're all clearly parts of the same core game.

Elite Dangerous and Horizons have already been consolidated (Horizons is now a Elite: Dangerous DLC). I haven't looked into removing the Horizons entry myself. I'm not sure if that's an option for existing owners or not. If you own either of those you don't need to buy this. So there is no need for more than one entry in Steam anymore for anyone unless you buy this and then decide to get the full game.

Pretty great price,this would be cool with VR.Shall pick this up on Steam when I'm not drowning in stuff I'm trying to complete

DrBo42

I haven't spent anytime in CQC, I've only watched videos and streams. It seemed like pretty standard arena deathmatch, capture the flag style game with the smaller agile fighters with some load out options. When you say it lacks depth, what do you mean?

It's very vanilla right now. I think you saying "it seemed pretty standard" is the problem. There's really nothing interesting going on in it.

Fragmentation to get sales they wouldn't get otherwise is the hope, at least with Arena it is. Might not be into the main game with no guiding hand or real content but you might be into arena combat with spaceships for $8.

Ok, I gotcha. Yeah, I didn't see any crazy game modes or anything. I guess what does set it apart is just the fact that it's a Space Sim style MP game but it does seem pretty straight forward with what it offers.

zedge

Ooo tempted.

Does this play nice with an Xbone controller?

*edit bought anyway.. Always wanted to try this an this seems like a good way to hop in. Bought the COD BLOP 3 standalone multi too. :/

Top Bottom