• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You can probably sacrifice a few ly off the max jump on a dbx for spare tanks so you only need to scoop after 600ly of jumping...which if you're just using it to get around the bubble might make the scoop totally useless lol.

SmartBase

You can probably sacrifice a few ly off the max jump on a dbx for spare tanks so you only need to scoop after 600ly of jumping...which if you're just using it to get around the bubble might make the scoop totally useless lol.

Oh yeah completely forgot about them, I mostly need to quickly go around the bubble when I'm moving ships.

Now to just wait for others to scour thousands of stars to find the new Thargoid content.

Yeah the 4A scoop is very slow, however, I did some time trials and in reality the difference in traveling speed between the Asp X and the 2.3 DBX is not that great, as long as you take advantage of the DBX’s longer jump range and better heat management by charging the FSD while fuel scooping. See my thread on it here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/340119-The-DBX-vs-Asp-X-A-tale-of-two-fuel-scoops…

So while scooping in the DBX is slow, and it feels so very slow, it’s longer jump range can actually make up a lot of that lost speed as long as you overlap FSD charging and fuel scooping. This is only really important when in “traveling mode” of course, when actually taking the time to explore the slower scoop doesn’t matter much, but man that greater jump range certainly does matter! Especially out on the fringe or high/low on the galactic plane.
Cool to see the DbX finally have a place in the end game. What a piece of shit it's been. It's the only ship in my collection I didn't bother to Grade 5 because...why would I have? It was one of the few ships for which there was a straight upgrade to. IMO, that should never happen. Every ship should have something unique about it that makes its ownership worth it whether you have a fleet of 2 ships or 22 ships.

New exploration payouts: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...ual_guide_to_exploration_23_by_cmdr_fru_with/

3x5JrAK.jpg

Those earth-likes and water worlds o_O

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
that was interesting

my game "crashed" mid jump but it didn't actually crash it just froze for like 2 minutes and the crash report came up but then it started working fine only when I came out of the crash I was able to travel unhindered in super cruise if that makes sense.

Like I could go 9000c even while next to the sun.

It made dropping out of SC onto a station impossible so I had to safe disengage in open space to get everything working normal again.

Everything in ED is faster now on Xbox One.... The transitions between supercruise and thrusters when landing on and taking off from planets. The Galaxy and system map don't lag out anymore. Planet textures don't pop in now. There's lots and lots of polish that came with this update.

Decided to set off on a long voyage. No destination yet. I'm just going and seeing what there is to see. I'm about 1400 LY out from the bubble or so.

Burny

Pretty good to hear they've optimized the experience on the console. Hope they'll get a lot of other spage game players on board once the PS4 version launches, which should be no more than about two months from now, if they're keeping the announced Q2 timeframe.

Despite loving the faces, the asteroid bases, the principal prospect multicrew with fighters however, I'm really depressed with the quality of everything they have delivered since launch game design wise. How can they so continuously fuck this up so thoroughly? There's literally zero reason to multicrew with friends now, who have similar rank, as it completely gimps the payout, after they've fixed the wing payouts.

Depressed then between the space game devs who wouldn't recognize good game design if it kicked them in the chins and those who promise the space game of does-everything-better-than-everybody-else-if-only-we-could-get-it-developed-between-now-and-2050.

Looking around, there's another kickstarter that somewhat catches my interest: Starfighter Inc.

94ffca8d5e5e275fe1b67bwuq7.jpg

It's their second go after a first initially failed kickstarter and looks pretty decent. Gameplay footage is still basic, but looks not too shabby.

The tag line is: Online multiplayer space combat simulator based on hard science fiction. "Counter-Strike meets World of Warships in Space!"

Very different scope from Elite, but at least the people in charge seem to have better credentials than, err... Haze. Lead designer worked on X-Wing and Tie-Fighter? Don't know what their roles were with those projects, but just maybe they are able to design a game mechanic that is not braindead? Anyway, backed with a low amount for the time being and hoping this gets through successfully. Edit: Ohh, it's also supposed to be free 2 play.

danowat

Banned
Pretty good to hear they've optimized the experience on the console. Hope they'll get a lot of other spage game players on board once the PS4 version launches, which should be no more than about two months from now, if they're keeping the announced Q2 timeframe.

It's hugely better, there used to be massive lag between the outfitting screen, shipyard, and the pause menu, completely gone now, it's instant, which makes it a much more pleasurable experience.

Brought a little Dolphin this morning, seems a fun little ship, makes a weird noise too, and again, just like every other ship since 2.3, I get a verbal "FSD drive is operating outside of normal limits" warning, which I have no idea why, or what to do about it.

Looking around, there's another kickstarter that somewhat catches my interest: Starfighter Inc.

That looks interesting, I hope it works out okay. I've always doubted whether 'realistic'/full newtonian combat can be fun so I hope they have the chance to prove me wrong.
I like how they start with a handwave about your computer adding sound and visible lasers, but then say that if you take computer damage you can be left in complete silence and unable to see what's killing you.
To be a pedant, it still fails the reality that no "real" starfighters would bother with a squishy human control system that experiences system failure at more than about 10g - but I'll forgive them for that if it's fun!

Back OT, are there any major changes to stuff like mission payouts. The patch notes mention re-balancing to avoid mission stacking and stuff (and I see the exploration change too).
Have regular missions got a buff, and are these "chained" missions worth doing?
I've always found it a bit annoying that stuff like piracy and assassination pays so poorly considering the risks and time involved (cf. giving the cops a pepsi in a RES site and bagging the bounties).

^^ That looks great.

Was heading back from Quince and dropped in on a system with a neutron star with massive and really fast moving jets literally right on top of the main star. Nearly got pulled in as soon as I dropped out of hyperspace

It's hugely better, there used to be massive lag between the outfitting screen, shipyard, and the pause menu, completely gone now, it's instant, which makes it a much more pleasurable experience.

Brought a little Dolphin this morning, seems a fun little ship, makes a weird noise too, and again, just like every other ship since 2.3, I get a verbal "FSD drive is operating outside of normal limits" warning, which I have no idea why, or what to do about it.

Holy crap really? I stopped playing in part because it was a chore to do everything. I'll take another look tonight.

I play exclusively in VR and feel like frame times have massively improved after this update. Suns take longer to get proper textures after jumping, but I feel like it's a decent trade off.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

The time delay isn't completely gone, but it's very much improved for certain. Even jump times are faster now.

Sibylus

Banned
I know what skins I'm going for if/when I get up to a Python/Anaconda. Bought red lasers and the explorer nameplates though, first cosmetic purch.

I might be wrong here but I swear I heard something about december for ps4

A delay from their prior confirmation of Q2 2017 to Q4 2017 would be pretty huge.
Jeez. The game with the Horizon season pass and something called a Commander pack is on sale for $40 on Steam. If that delay is the case I'll just buy it for PC. My FX-8370 and RX 480 should easily outpace how it would look on PS4 Pro anyway, right?

Jeez. The game with the Horizon season pass and something called a Commander pack is on sale for $40 on Steam. If that delay is the case I'll just buy it for PC. My FX-8370 and RX 480 should easily outpace how it would look on PS4 Pro anyway, right?

I haven't seen or heard of any delay, so I assume it's still on track for Q2, but we haven't heard anything lately, unfortunately.

I own it on both X1 and PC. On PC, it's generally pretty well optimized, and I haven't played it on X1 since the patch, but I've heard reports it received a big optimization/performance pass.

The Commander Pack, I believe, is a set of cosmetics for the low level starter ships.

DrBo42

Thinking about getting it on steam, is the economy dynamic?
There's no player economy but supply and demand is dynamic to some extent. Big changes like system state changes require background sim updates that happen at least daily if not per X hours.

But yeah if players are making huge hauls to a station that needs gold, eventually the price will sink to make it not worth it etc.

Got promoted to Ranger (Explorer rank 7). Upgraded the thrusters and FSD on Little Wyvern (now about 35 LY range), going to make a stop at Maia before heading out to the Witch's Head Nebula, Running Man Nebula, and finally Barnard's Loop.

Top Bottom