• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

jMjh4DR.jpg

y9GhHRB.jpg

Exploration's payout boost is definitely noticeable. Made 1.7mil just from honking systems and scanning a few stars and planets on my detour back to the bubble to pick up some paint jobs lol. Now actually headed out to finally go see Sagittarius A.

Need that achievement unlocked

Exploration's payout boost is definitely noticeable. Made 1.7mil just from honking systems and scanning a few stars and planets on my detour back to the bubble to pick up some paint jobs lol. Now actually headed out to finally go see Sagittarius A.

Need that achievement unlocked

There are achievements? Is that a console only thing?

Sarcasm

My old KBM setup seems to still work. I got voice attacking working for most part.

Now, wondering if anybody would like to be my mentor? I do need some direction, so I don't mind being told what to do sometimes. I am in a hauler.

I got a fine, how do I pay it? Game runs better! Last time I played was with SRV update so yeah I am lost. Can you even use controller and KBM simultaneously? KBM for ships and controller for SRV?

Karak

Is there a site, or magical place on the internet that doesn't assume that you know anything whatsoever about the game and walks you through the steps of the first few missions or something.
I keep being told of specific youtube channels but every single one of them even the newbie guides attribute a good deal of data though I don't think its on purpose. It happens with these games i think.

Is there a site, or magical place on the internet that doesn't assume that you know anything whatsoever about the game and walks you through the steps of the first few missions or something.
I keep being told of specific youtube channels but every single one of them even the newbie guides attribute a good deal of data though I don't think its on purpose. It happens with these games i think.
Did you go through all of the tutorials from the main menu in-game?

Manzoon

Banned
My old KBM setup seems to still work. I got voice attacking working for most part.

Now, wondering if anybody would like to be my mentor? I do need some direction, so I don't mind being told what to do sometimes. I am in a hauler.

I got a fine, how do I pay it? Game runs better! Last time I played was with SRV update so yeah I am lost. Can you even use controller and KBM simultaneously? KBM for ships and controller for SRV?

The controls are really customizable. SRV should have it's own heading underneath the controls menu where you can set everything up using the controller axis and buttons.

You can pay fines under the 'Contacts' tab when you are docked at a station if that station has the appropriate faction in it, which is usually any station in a system where you got the fine.

Burny

Game is on a slight sale currently, so if anybody was debating it without waiting for an actual full sale...

And Steam rewviews seem to have gone from something like "moslty positive" (iirc) to "mixed" again. No idea how that happened, but I feel it represents the game better. :p

danowat

Banned

Tutorials ingame, which are backed up by official youtube videos directly linked through the game, will teach you pretty much everything you need to know.

To be honest though, the game may seem quite complex and foreboding, but it's actually pretty simple at it's core mechanics.

I am also sure they (recently?) changed the immediate new player experience, and made it more accessible?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My annoyance about the star texture loading bug is probably more than it should be but it honestly makes me just want to wait for a patch.

It's just a hunch, but I feel like we won't be seeing the star bug fixed until 2.4, if at all. Frontier did it intentionally to improve load times and they don't seem very concerned about it, so I think they are happy with the compromise.

It's just a hunch, but I feel like we won't be seeing the star bug fixed until 2.4, if at all. Frontier did it intentionally to improve load times and they don't seem very concerned about it, so I think they are happy with the compromise.

That would be some bullshit because it looks like trash and it goes beyond just loading the higher quality texture. It continues to flicker even after it loads in. Also, load times have never been an issue for me so give me an option not to make the game look like shit every time I complete a jump. I what I'm saying is, Mengy, I hope you are wrong.

I already had a star loading bug pre last patch though. It was just less severe than now. Stars usually updated in one or two ticks, but now they start at a lower quality than they used to but the loading screens are shorter, so at the end of the day it sort of evens out. Only that I can travel considerably faster

zorbsie

Love all the great shots people are taking with the new camera suite. Surprised at how far away the camera can get from the ship. Not sure how it was on PC, but on XB1 you couldn't really pull back that much. Still haven't got a great handle on depth of field but I like how the first one came out.

Love all the great shots people are taking with the new camera suite. Surprised at how far away the camera can get from the ship. Not sure how it was on PC, but on XB1 you couldn't really pull back that much. Still haven't got a great handle on depth of field but I like how the first one came out.
The new camera suite is brilliant. On the old one, you couldn't zoom very far out from the larger ships. It was quite difficult to get good angles on things.

Easily my favorite addition from the recent update.

I have a question about buying Horizons. That content is linked to your account, right? I have the game on Steam and on the Oculus Store, and I want to make sure if I buy Horizons on Steam that I will have access to that stuff if I launch the game from the Oculus store.

zorbsie

Easily my favorite addition from the recent update.

Same. Mind you I haven't tried the multi crew yet. :)

Question about leveling up my trade rank. Is it based on how much you sell or how much profit you make? I'm making 304 tonne trades and it's only going up 1%, sometimes it doesn't even move. Is the grind really this bad. I am getting the same increase with leveling up my federation rank. It kills me to see the "Rep ++" for a mission and have it only move 1% after I finish the mission.

Multi-crew is a fun diversion but I don't think it offers any meaningful gameplay addition, esp with the insane payout nerfs.

Gunner is fun enough but I think it says a lot when the most fun I had during multicrew was just piloting a friend's fighter and helping them out. At that point, might as well Wing up. Multicrew's matchmaking/"telepresence" makes it easy to hop in, which is a big advantage over Wings, obviously.

Like Wings, without any missions to support the functionality, its use is very limited, even in terms of combat.

zorbsie

It's fun! I'm halfway to the center of the Galaxy but I jumped into a friend's anaconda back in the bubble to fly one of his fighters in a hazardous rez. It was a blast.

That is really cool. Will have to try that out. Don't really care about the payouts, just want to play with friends.

Burny

Agree about the new camera. It's a godsend, after the attrocious old "debug camera". But I'll probably have to map it to a separate controller. Otherwise it's either relegated to the clumsy num-pad or interferes with my ship controls. The controls are still convoluted, but the available options are powerful for a change. Some screenies, which would've largely been possible with the old camera as well:

Lots of detail on the SRVs, usually only ever visible when taking high res screenshots. :p

highresscreenshot_2017uu5h.png

srv_detail0110bm0.png

Space Ship Cheese Wedge:
highresscreenshot_201rjut3.png

Anoher change introduced by 2.3 somewhat implicitely - the cockpits viewed from the outside no longer have the ultra-low res placeholder representation. At least for pilot + seat the LOD seems to be always higher.

cobracockpit31u5y.png

Hylian7

So getting back into this, what is the current meta for combat (assuming no engineer upgrades yet)? Right now I am concerned with RES farming. I have on my FDL, one Huge Beam Laser, and four medium multicasting. This works, but I feel like there might be a more efficient method. I don't feel like multicannon ammo is as much as an issue as my ship taking damage when I use a Bi-weave shield. If I used a regular shield, then it would be dependent on Scabs.

More well deserved heat on Frontier for the state of the game: It feels like somone is doing their job wrong.

Well, yes. It is.

Haha, was just coming here to post this! Saw y'all's posts there--maybe I'll chime in. I've been an Elite optimist most of the time I've played but I've really soured on the game the past few months. 2.3's drastically reduced scope, Braben/Sandro's unwillingness to share any REAL information on why the changes were made, and FD's general lack of information on their roadmap, is infuriating.

Top Bottom