• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

E-flux

200k is totally worth 8 jumps right?

For the 4 you originally asked, definitely if you are in the early game. But for 8 jumps? You are probably going to be able to find shorter missions that payout more in t he nearby region in less time, at least in my opinion.

iosefe

For the 4 you originally asked, definitely if you are in the early game. But for 8 jumps? You are probably going to be able to find shorter missions that payout more in t he nearby region in less time, at least in my opinion.

What kind of mission? Keep in mind you may need to fight or run with cargo.

misson accomplished already, it was titanium.

i'm not worried about other fighters, i'm worried about getting pulled into a Brown Dwarf for a third time

my ultimate goal is diaguandri. i'm just taking the scenic route

Peroroncino

How is the PS4 version? Does it run well? It it worth the $60?

Also, what are these microtransaction points for?

1080p/60fps on base ps4.

60 is mostly consistent, with some exceptions but nothing gamebreaking luckily.

Here's some shots I made:

19477340_1565164113545422_1173331693491282311_o.jpg

19452904_1565164210212079_5651984395009585421_o.jpg

19466324_1565164110212089_235185366247331883_o.jpg

19466353_1565164216878745_7204332665895016451_o.jpg

19488962_1565164213545412_970158778302324473_o.jpg

It's default equipment for all SRV's. You can also increase and decrease the range of yuor scanner. The button combinations for doing so depend on your controller set up. Here is an introductory video that helps explain the scanner better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjrMtlyhbnA&ytbChannel=CMDR Waylander Sagan

thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to watch :)

SRV

I have literally no idea what the hell I'm doing, but damn I'm having fun!

Apologies as it has probably been asked a hundred times but any advice for a complete noob, thanks in advance.

E-flux

misson accomplished already, it was titanium.

i'm not worried about other fighters, i'm worried about getting pulled into a Brown Dwarf for a third time

my ultimate goal is diaguandri. i'm just taking the scenic route

If you are worried about colliding with stars, just throttle down when you are in the warp bubble and you will be at a stand still when you come out.
There is a gaf minor faction in Apam Napat, the system looks pretty nice too and has a big empire spacestation in there and a few other smaller outposts.

Apologies as it has probably been asked a hundred times but any advice for a complete noob, thanks in advance.

Don't fly without insurance, other than that, do what ever you feel is the most fun thing to do. There are also a few advanced maneuvers you can do with flight assist off so practicing flying like that will help you out in a long run, rings and space stations are great way to learn to fly with FA off.

This guy has a few good videos on the tricks you can do.

Haluko

Don't fly without being able to rebuy! Never had this happen to me, but I can imagine it could be devastating depending what ship you are in.

calder

If I buy this game again on PS4 can I use my older non-PS branded Thrustmaster HOTAS? I assume the stick works on PS4 and I read that E:D has stick support on console but google is giving me different answers. Anyone know for sure?

SRV

If you are worried about colliding with stars, just throttle down when you are in the warp bubble and you will be at a stand still when you come out.
There is a gaf minor faction in Apam Napat, the system looks pretty nice too and has a big empire spacestation in there and a few other smaller outposts.

Don't fly without insurance, other than that, do what ever you feel is the most fun thing to do. There are also a few advanced maneuvers you can do with flight assist off so practicing flying like that will help you out in a long run, rings and space stations are great way to learn to fly with FA off.

This guy has a few good videos on the tricks you can do.

Don't fly without being able to rebuy! Never had this happen to me, but I can imagine it could be devastating depending what ship you are in.

Thanks, will check out those videos in a bit. Insurance it is! Thanks again!

Peroroncino

Finally managed to play my first CQC match, you guys, it's AWESOME, I'm not sure why it gets so much flak but I hope it won't die as fast as it did on other platforms, very enjoyable pvp and perfect for some stress-free bouts with other players.

I've got a Pro, so even better. Just bought it.

Some user earlier said that it has 2 pro modes but there's some tearing issue on the pro, check back if you also experience screen tearing because I'm curious how severe it is.

Which is the best version for PS4?
There is the standard one and the commander deluxe edition but there is also a season pass. In the description of the commander edition it is written that there is something called Horizons included, core and commander packages. Nothing more, nothing specific.

Very confusing, can someone here explain?

Edit:

And what the heck is the Legendary retail version now? That sounds like a different version again. Urghhhh.

Finally managed to play my first CQC match, you guys, it's AWESOME, I'm not sure why it gets so much flak but I hope it won't die as fast as it did on other platforms, very enjoyable pvp and perfect for some stress-free bouts with other players.

CQC is hella fun. It only gets flak because it's so hard to find a match. The gamemode itself is great.

I've felt since they released it that Frontier needs to better integrate it into the actual game. Give us an option to join at stations or something. Show the CQC arenas in systems (actually I think they did this? Either way it's cosmetic only). As it is now, the player count for CQC is going to stay low.

E-flux

It got a lot of flak because frontier left it out to die. Thanks to the matchmaking and no indication on what mode people were playing you never knew if the mode you picked had players in it and then you would sit +30 minutes on a queue hoping to get into a game. If they would have introduced bots, server browser or hell, general updates to the mode it would have done a lot better, but in a true frontier fashion their excuse of not updating the mode is "there's not enough players".

iosefe

124 Ly from me.

imagine all the exploration money i could make on that journey!

mojo2

Neo Member
1080p/60fps on base ps4.

60 is mostly consistent, with some exceptions but nothing gamebreaking luckily.

Here's some shots I made:

thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to watch :)
How do I get to the 3rd person camera view? I want to look at the beautiful stuff around me.

This game is amazing. Haven't done jack apart from space trucking and damn I am having a blast.
I've been reading about this game twice as much as playing it, still loving it so far.

WITHE1982

I'm just about to bite the bullet and get the Horizons expansion. Ive only played around an hour of the base game but I can't resist planet exploration.

Just before I press the "buy" button are there any arguments against grabbing it? Are there any aspects which could spoil the base game?

I supported this game ages ago on PC, but I never really played it there. Can I use my existing Frontier account with my assigned commander name and play the PS4 version?

Carroway

I'm just about to bite the bullet and get the Horizons expansion. Ive only played around an hour of the base game but I can't resist planet exploration.

Just before I press the "buy" button are there any arguments against grabbing it? Are there any aspects which could spoil the base game?

If you want to do planetary exploration, you should get the Horizons expansion, there are also several other QoL things that it adds.

Though be warned, if you're machine struggles with the base game, then you might have reduced playability in some areas, that's really the only thing you should be worried about in regards to horizons.

WITHE1982

If you want to do planetary exploration, you should get the Horizons expansion, there are also several other QoL things that it adds.

Though be warned, if you're machine struggles with the base game, then you might have reduced playability in some areas, that's really the only thing you should be worried about in regards to horizons.

I'm on PS4 so it shouldn't be a problem.

Just grabbed it thanks. Got the next 4 hours to learn how to take off and land.

Strange as I was expecting an additional download but it just unlocks stuff which is already downloaded in the base game.

as far as fuel scoops go, am i fine with a 2C?

The only difference is how fast they scoop, so it depends on your patience.
The size is a bit more important than the rating. Size 2 is a bit small for serious exploration but fine if you aren't going to use it much and need space for cargo or whatever.
C grade is a good price point for fuel scoops. They get expensive at B and extortionate at A.

iosefe

The only difference is how fast they scoop, so it depends on your patience.
The size is a bit more important than the rating. Size 2 is a bit small for serious exploration but fine if you aren't going to use it much and need space for cargo or whatever.
C grade is a good price point for fuel scoops. They get expensive at B and extortionate at A.

unless i drop my shields, i can only get a 2. i plan on making the journey to Apam Napat

Briarios

How is the multiplayer? Is there much griefing or the like? I remember reading some about how griefers were messing up the game last year, and if I pick it up on PS4, I don't want to deal with that lol

hobozero

Oddly I can't seem to find an answer to this question (though I am too sick to be interneting today): Can I access my PC account with my PS4, or is it a separate account/economy/etc?

Burny

Oddly I can't seem to find an answer to this question (though I am too sick to be interneting today): Can I access my PC account with my PS4, or is it a separate account/economy/etc?

Separate account (no "save transfers"), same backend economy, just like Xbone I assume?

Is doing trading and exploration a valid game path? I am not really in to combat so I would just like to explore and buy shit. What are some early game tips for a non combat path?

Which is the best version for PS4?
There is the standard one and the commander deluxe edition but there is also a season pass. In the description of the commander edition it is written that there is something called Horizons included, core and commander packages. Nothing more, nothing specific.

Very confusing, can someone here explain?

Edit:

And what is the Legendary retail version now? That sounds like a different version again. Urghhhh.

Anyone?

Carroway

I'm on PS4 so it shouldn't be a problem.

Just grabbed it thanks. Got the next 4 hours to learn how to take off and land.

Strange as I was expecting an additional download but it just unlocks stuff which is already downloaded in the base game.

I didn't think you could buy the game without Horizons for the PS4, or was that only speculated?

Listonosh

Does anyone know if the two budget HOTAS that are on Amazon work on the PS4 for this game?

Like this one

Ive seen some comments on the product say that it worked for War Thunder, so I'm curious if this game on the PS4 has built in support for it.

Having fun so far.

Died once early on when docking; got yelled at for loitering after my docking clearance ran out, then someone/something shot me. Lesson learned.

I really like docking at the smaller stations where you're landing on an exterior pad.

One criticism of my time on the Pro so far: I've had several disconnects, all while entering or exiting supercruise; maybe the servers are struggling?

Also, what's the deal with black box recovery missions? Spent time finding the damn thing only to ram it and destroy it instead of scooping it. They should make them out of something tougher...

Carroway

Horizons is the expansion for the game, it adds stuff like Planetary landings, engineers who can overcharge parts of your ship, Multi-crew and soon Alien encounters on a, from the look of things, large scale.

In regards to what version you want. The most important thing you should look for is if the version has Horizons or not. Everything else is basically cosmetic stuff.

JP

This is amazing!!!!

After the recommendation from here I went to the training mode and spent a couple of hours in there and it seems wonderful. I did find that it wasn't always very clear about what it wanted me to do due to it telling me to go to go to something and to do something else but because I'm completely new to it I didn't realise what those specific things were.

One of the missions on a moon had me doing some sort of hacking to turn off the power after shooting something but it kept two possible targets highlighted and the hacking involved holding L1 so it would build up the "hacking meter" but it wasn't doing anything when I did that.

I didn't realise that I was actually hacking the wrong target because I wasn't getting any feedback whilst doing it.

Got my first trophy too, the one for landing on a planet. I don't think that flying os that complicated now but the issue is that I'm still having to think about every move I make before I make it which just makes it all a bit awkward.

I'm really not a fan of the combat, it's not really why I'm playing the game but I do know that it's going to happen sometimes. I think I'll be a lot happier just exploring and finding new things for myself.

I think this is going to take a lot of time before I really start getting the hang of it but I do think that I'll really enjoy it. Seriously, if I only owned Elite Dangerous: Horizons and No Man's Sky, I'd probably never have to buy another game again. I just love exploring and finding stuff.

Horizons was DLC, wasn't it? Do we know if more content is planned for the future?

WITHE1982

I didn't think you could buy the game without Horizons for the PS4, or was that only speculated?

Base game for £19.99 doesn't include horizons. You can buy the season pass for an additional £19.99 if you want horizons added. Alternatively you can just buy the commander edition with everything for £39.99.

I pre ordered the base game but after hearing good feedback Ive added horizons (for £19.99)

The cheapest digital version is just the base game. All physical copies and the digital commanders edition have Horizons.

Yup. What he said.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, quick question. So when you plot a course to a particular system, your compass always points towards the next stop on the route, right? Say I want to lock on to something else along the way, though. Like maybe an undiscovered planet or something. Once I'm done with that, is there an easy way to get my compass back on the route to the system I was heading to? Right now I'm just going back to the galaxy map and clearing and re-setting the route to get it back up, but that's a bit of a pain.

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out!

Volimar

am i better off trading in an old ship?

gonna trade my Adder for a Cobra mk III.

The Cobra is a great little ship that you'll probably stick with for a little while. As an all arounder it's pretty decent. The only thing that might put you off is that the cockpit is set up with two seats like a car so you're not centered, but rather off to the side a bit.

A tip for you new players. Once you get a ship with a half decent jump range and a fuel scoop, look into taking part in the Community Goals (CGs). Even if you only contribute one bounty or one piece of cargo you'll make the top 100% of contributors and get a reward. Usually worth it for cash strapped newbies. Just be careful playing in Open in CG areas. Griefers like to hang out and kill players for funsies.

iosefe

A tip for you new players. Once you get a ship with a half decent jump range and a fuel scoop, look into taking part in the Community Goals (CGs). Even if you only contribute one bounty or one piece of cargo you'll make the top 100% of contributors and get a reward. Usually worth it for cash strapped newbies. Just be careful playing in Open in CG areas. Griefers like to hang out and kill players for funsies.

looking at the Lave goal. what are these rare goals that speak of?

Volimar

looking at the Lave goal. what are these rare goals that speak of?

Throughout inhabited space there are stations that have their own unique commodities. Items like Sothis Crystalline Gold, Lavian Brandy, or the famed Hutton Mug from Hutton Orbital. These rare commodities differ from most commodities in that, generally speaking, the farther from the selling system you travel, the more they are worth. Sadly they tend to only be available in very small amounts at a time.

Honestly, I'd just skip over this CG until you're more familiar with the star systems. New CGs pretty much always start on Thursdays, so you only need to wait until tomorrow to see what the next goal is.

Volimar

oh boy, first interdiction attempt on my ship. i was able to evade it though

2.3 made evading interdiction a lot easier. Back in my day we had to submit and hit the after burners and hope to survive long enough for the FSD to come back online.

In the snow...

Uphill...

Top Bottom