• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

WITHE1982

Trying to grab a canister in orbit is amazing. If you're in a nimble ship and can pull it off it's like a scene from a movie.

Indeed. It was like this bit in interstellar. My hands were sweating. I can imagine how great it would have been if I's have pulled it off. Sadly it wasn't to be, but I'll get one eventually.

tiangong-1-shenzhou-10-docking.gif

Gravity pulls them and it's veeeery fucking hard to grab them when they're in constant motion, I'm thinking of buying a collection limpet/drone just in case something like that happens again.

It took me 10 minutes to realise it was the planet's gravity that was preventing me from slowing down and making it almost impossible to line it up. When it hit me I was like:

tenor.gif

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Can anyone confirm whether the Horizons DLC and frontier points you get with the physical (Legendary) PS4 copy is included on disc or by codes included in the box? I can get a used copy near me for £30 but will get one new from Amazon for £35 if I'll be missing out on the extra stuff.

DrBo42

Indeed. It was like this bit in interstellar. My hands were sweating. I can imagine how great it would have been if I's have pulled it off. Sadly it wasn't to be, but I'll get one eventually.

tiangong-1-shenzhou-10-docking.gif

It took me 10 minutes to realise it was the planet's gravity that was preventing me from slowing down and making it almost impossible to line it up. When it hit me I was like:

tenor.gif

Yeah that's exactly the scene I was thinking of. Did you have debris too? It's so much better when there's ship debris and not just canisters. Think you might need a Courier, Eagle or FDL to pull it off. Super cool.

GeeTeeCee

Can anyone confirm whether the Horizons DLC and frontier points you get with the physical (Legendary) PS4 copy is included on disc or by codes included in the box? I can get a used copy near me for £30 but will get one new from Amazon for £35 if I'll be missing out on the extra stuff.

There's a single code in the box for the season pass/points.

WITHE1982

Yeah that's exactly the scene I was thinking of. Did you have debris too? It's so much better when there's ship debris and not just canisters. Think you might need a Courier, Eagle or FDL to pull it off. Super cool.

There were multiple canisters scattered around the one I wanted but no debris. I was still in my initial sidewinder so I'm guessing that made it a little harder.

Reading up you can buy collector limpets which may come in handy at a later date.

Upon reflection, despite being massively frustrated and ending my night on a bit of a downer I'm glad the game really challenged me so early on. It gave me a great sense that I had so much to learn before mastering even the basics.

I'm now addicted to online tutorial videos and taking many notes.

DrBo42

There were multiple canisters scattered around the one I wanted but no debris. I was still in my initial sidewinder so I'm guessing that made it a little harder.

Reading up you can buy collector limpets which may come in handy at a later date.

Despite being massively frustrated and ending my night on a bit of a downer, upon reflection I'm glad the game really challenged me so early on. It gave me a great sense that I had so much to learn before mastering even the basics.

I'm now addicted to online tutorial videos and taking many notes.

Collector limpets are vital when you get into material farming for Engineer upgrades. They're rather good for pirating or farming regular commodities as well. And of course essential for mining. On the subject of limpets there are different size controllers and some for very specific purposes. Also, if you deploy one with nothing selected, they'll grab anything. If you have a canister targeted, it'll just grab that canister and deactivate.

Edit: Oh man, you guys probably don't even know about neutron star and white dwarf scooping. The beta version of that was so fun.

WITHE1982

Edit: Oh man, you guys probably don't even know about neutron star and white dwarf scooping. The beta version of that was so fun.

Is that related to slingshotting? I did read up a bit about it and hope I'll be able to pull that off at some point. I'll be like John Crichton from Farscape.

DrBo42

Is that related to slingshotting? I did read up a bit about it and hope I'll be able to pull that off at some point. I'll be like John Crichton from Farscape.

No, you scoop the magnetic jets from the star for a few seconds and your FSD gets supercharged for added jump distance.

Explorers then went out and mapped the "Neutron Highway" leading out to deep space. A recent expedition actually reached a previously unreachable cluster of stars with the help of this boost and synthesis boosts.

As there wasn't a Neutron star on the other side, they all signed up for what was essentially a suicide mission to chart an area no one had ever seen.

You can find footage from the expedition here on Dr. Kaii's channel. I believe Mengy was on this expedition if I'm not mistaken, if not more CMDRs from GAF.

WITHE1982

No, you scoop the magnetic jets from the star for a few seconds and your FSD gets supercharged for added jump distance.

Explorers then went out and mapped the "Neutron Highway" leading out to deep space. A recent expedition actually reached a previously unreachable cluster of stars with the help of this boost and synthesis boosts.

As there wasn't a Neutron star on the other side, they all signed up for what was essentially a suicide mission to chart and area no one had ever seen.

You can find footage from the expedition here on Dr. Kaii's channel. I believe Mengy was on this expedition if I'm not mistaken, if not more CMDRs from GAF.

That's beautiful. I'd have loved to have been part of that last expedition. Their noble sacrifice should not be in vein.

This game has such a rich community. What with Suicide Explorers, Fuel rats, Pirates et al.

I just wish I had more time to put into it instead of the couple of hours every few nights.

DrBo42

That's beautiful. I'd have loved to have been part of that last expedition. Their noble sacrifice should not be in vein.

This game has such a rich community. What with Suicide Explorers, Fuel rats, Pirates et al.

I just wish I had more time to put into it instead of the couple of hours every few nights.

Honestly that's for the best. Not a game you want to get burned out on or marathon.

Kureizu

On PS4 Pro we seems to have two interesting graphics options.

1, Performance - this is the option for people who really like tearing. Lots of tearing. A whole screen full of tearing. If you like tearing, this is the option for you.##

2, Quality - This is for people who want less tearing (but still lots) but want the variety that terrible frame pacing and stuttering can bring to the game.

FFS the Xbox version is smoother than this mess. At the very least FDev we need a vsync option. How the PS4 Pro is going to get a 4K version when it runs so bad in 1080p I don't know. But this release version is very shoddy. The whole majesty of arriving at a station is ruined by the horrible stuttering mess that appears when you drop out of supercruise.

I've also had multiple crashes and moments when the game has gone crazy. A station began moving oddly while I was leaving and it destroyed my ship, thankfully I had a rebuy, but it was the game that destroyed the ship not gameplay.

Well that's disappointing.

A friend and I were going to get this on the Pro. Thanks for the warning.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

As there wasn't a Neutron star on the other side, they all signed up for what was essentially a suicide mission to chart an area no one had ever seen.

You can find footage from the expedition here on Dr. Kaii's channel.

I believe Mengy was on this expedition if I'm not mistaken, if not more CMDRs from GAF.

Yeah, I went on the Distant Stars Expedition, it was great fun!

Neutron Jumping is one of my favorite things added to the game since 1.0, and I'm not even kidding. I use them regularly when traveling through deep space, making regular use of the neutron highway router which has been a fantastic tool for deep space explorers like me:

https://www.spansh.co.uk/

DrBo42

Yeah, I went on the Distant Stars Expedition, it was great fun!

Neutron Jumping is one of my favorite things added to the game since 1.0, and I'm not even kidding. I use them regularly when traveling through deep space, making regular use of the neutron highway router which has been a fantastic tool for deep space explorers like me:

https://www.spansh.co.uk/
Does the double charge still work?

DrkSage

Oh god, accidentally pressed the engine boost and slammed sideways in the entrance to a docking station, had like 30 second to get out of there because I was obstructing the entrance but I was stuck as fuck. Reverse, up, down, forward, boosting again, nothing worked, turns out my landing gear was preventing me from turning around. Thought I was going to blow up there for a second.

Options -> Controls -> Headlook mode -> Enable motion headlook -> Off

I like it though, I have it on toggle mode under R3 button so I can quickly look around if I need it.

Decided to not give up on it yet and I seemed to have more control of it now. Before it was putting me off because it wouldn't turn completely or would invert, but now I got the hand of it.

Oh god, accidentally pressed the engine boost and slammed sideways in the entrance to a docking station, had like 30 second to get out of there because I was obstructing the entrance but I was stuck as fuck. Reverse, up, down, forward, boosting again, nothing worked, turns out my landing gear was preventing me from turning around. Thought I was going to blow up there for a second.

Decided to not give up on it yet and I seemed to have more control of it now. Before it was putting me off because it wouldn't turn completely or would invert, but now I got the hand of it.

Congratulations CMDR. You are now an ED Graduate.

Ok, I'm having way more fun than I expected just travelling in this game. Jackknifing with the fuel scoop from star to star is just so enjoyable.

Only thing I'm really having trouble with is the combat. I cannot finish the advanced combat training mission at all. I blow up the first guy and then just get chased forever by the ones who drop in after, even having my chaff malfunction every single time I'm targeted.

Also, is slingshotting a thing in this game?

blacklotus

Ok, so i bought this game.

Then i spent like one hour in one fucking tutorial for which i had to go see a video on youtube.

Am i doomed?

Only thing I'm really having trouble with is the combat. I cannot finish the advanced combat training mission at all. I blow up the first guy and then just get chased forever by the ones who drop in after, even having my chaff malfunction every single time I'm targeted.

Also, is slingshotting a thing in this game?

The advanced combat tutorial is... advanced. You can get your feet wet with combat pretty safely by going to a resource extraction site and shooting pirates with the local security (make sure the scan finishes and you see the WANTED status before firing). Once you get familiar with it, you can start soloing (before the police jump in and possibly save your ass) and move on to more difficult targets.

No slingshotting, but you can sometimes use gravity wells as a brake for speedier and more spectacular station approaches.

Nerix

Then i spent like one hour in one fucking tutorial for which i had to go see a video on youtube.

Am i doomed?
You are, so am I ;) Seriously, it takes a while a get used to the mechancis and the complexity of the game.

A sheet where I collect useful tips and links as I try to progress in the game... Feel free to add useful stuff that helped you in the beginning
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PkzmLWqzgc2LDmUdt6TQEF7DCYc-gtaRhma_eK8iDRE/edit?usp=sharing

WITHE1982

Am i doomed?

I've been watching tutorial videos and making notes while sat here in work.

The official youtube channel has some great stuff for beginners.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7glm5rbPHKxnltQU1SLxdqQrENIXJGUr

I was exactly the same during the tutorials. Save me a seat next to you as I'm probably as doomed as you are.

RedSwirl

I guess it's the epitome of no risk, no reward

The big risk is that good exploration ships have to sacrifice weapons. You're not likely to encounter anyone in uninhabited space, but when you get back to report your discoveries there's always the risk of interdiction.

Got back from my 10,000 LY trip. Made about 30M credits from exploration data.
I generally scanned very little, just scanning unexplored stars and planets that look earthlike/watery/terraformable.
There is now one earthlike planet out there with my name on it.
That 30M got me to allied status with 4 minor factions, which was handy (hint: engineer-unlocking, and creating a new friendly "home" system!)

I returned in solo mode to make sure I avoided any trolls. Some arsehat space-cop still tried to interdict me. I panicked a bit before I realised that I had nothing to hide. Refused to submit anyway (fight the power!)

Exploration is much more profitable since a couple of patches ago, but only earthlike/water/terraformable worlds bring in significant cash. It's not a great way to raise money, but you won't feel like you completely wasted your time.
Scanning some 'unknown' earth/water/terraformables in the bubble might be a good way to make some cash for newbie explorers, but you'd want a cheat sheet of systems to visit - which kinda ruins the whole point of exploration.

Freddie's TIP of the DAY!*
Some people get confused by the approach countdown timer and especially by what the throttle actually represents.
The countdown timer is like a shitty Windows copying wizard and assumes you will continue at your current speed, which is practically impossible since your max frame-shift speed and your acc/deceleration rate is affected by your distance from that target and any nearby gravity wells.
This is why the countdown timer goes much faster than 'realtime' to start with, but can be slower than realtime when you get close on long-range targets (e.g. I've been 10 seconds from Hutton Orbital for over a minute!)
The relationships between speed, acceleration, time and Elite's pseudo-relativistic gravity well mechanics are complicated and non-linear.

The Elite throttle control is not like a car where it represents "what proportion of max power/braking should I apply?".
Instead it's a "what fraction of maximum speed should I be aiming for?"
Your ship will always be accelerate or decelerate at maximum rate in order to reach your target speed. This also applies in normal flight (unless you disable flight-assist) so there's no point hitting full-reverse when trying to stop in a docking bay. It's no faster than zero-throttle.
This is why the 75% throttle at 7s rule works so well and can't be improved with a "0% throttle at 5 seconds" rule. When you switch from 100% to 75% thrust, you'll be braking at your maximum rate, no different to if you selected 0%. And you must start braking somewhere between 6 and 7 seconds away or else your maximum deceleration will not be enough to stop you.
As you get quite close to your target, maximum deceleration becomes "too much" and would cause you to halt before reaching your target. Maintaining 75% of your maximum speed ensures you'll never stop and also never exceed 'overshoot velocity'.
This is why experienced pilots drop the 75% rule after the distance changes from Ls to Mm and try to manually maintain a (faster) speed where their Mm/s = sq-root(distance in Mm).

Note that safe disengage distance (and speed) is >1Mm(/s) for some stations in distant orbits far from planetary gravity wells. However, don't try to go below 6s on a straight-line approach, regardless of the permitted safe speed. Feel free to try as low as 4s on a corkscrewing, gas giant skimming, Buckball rally special though!

*Note: TIP may actually be a tedious and lengthy explanation. No refunds given.

This game is freaking amazing. Makes No Man's Sky look like baby's first space game.

Having not played either but wanting to get a deeper space exploration/trading game than Rebel Galaxy on my PS4, is Elite the go to game then? Or does No Man's have any benefits over Elite?
ED sure sounds awesome!

Having not played either but wanting to get a deeper space exploration/trading game than Rebel Galaxy on my PS4, is Elite the go to game then? Or does No Man's have any benefits over Elite?
ED sure sounds awesome!
I've haven't gotten very far into Elite, but from what I understand is that the planet's in NMS are full of life and have a lot to explore while the planets in Elite are lifeless rocks, and NMS has base building. But actual exploration and ship play, Elite is miles better.

Does anyone here is playing this with a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 on the PS4?

Curious to see how it plays. Could only find one video about it on Youtube and the guy was loving it. Really thinking on buying this, since I loved No Man's Sky.

-- Edited to be more specific abou the system I am refering to.

You only bought it yesterday lol...typical new game shiney comment if ever I saw one

He's not wrong and he'll feel that way for quite awhile. There are a metric ton of things to learn in ED.

When he's up in the several hundreds of hours, he might start complaining. Or maybe 3.0 will be out already and he'l continue having a ball. Good game is good. End game content is TBD. lol

Peroroncino

You only bought it yesterday lol...typical new game shiney comment if ever I saw one

It's the truth though.

NMS is a child's play compared to ED. I despised ship combat or even flying in NMS, felt like the game did it for me.

Does anyone here is playing this with a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 on the PS4?

Curious to see how it plays. Could only find one video about it on Youtube and the guy was loving it. Really thinking on buying this, since I loved No Man's Sky.

-- Edited to be more specific abou the system I am refering to.

Could you link the vid? I'm also considering a purchase.

oktarb

jesus what a pile of crap of controls. Can't even figure out out to drop out of warp close to the target. It just shouldn't be that hard. Seeking a refund on this one.

WITHE1982

This game is freaking amazing. Makes No Man's Sky look like baby's first space game.

Funnily I was gonna make a similar comment. My first thought (albeit after only 4 hours) is that Elite feels like a grown-ups version of NMS (which I've put around 70 hours into). Nothing againt the latter but you can feel the difference between the more arcade game and the true sim.

jesus what a pile of crap of controls. Can't even figure out out to drop out of warp close to the target. It just shouldn't be that hard. Seeking a refund on this one.

The game has a learning curve like a mountain. There's so much it just expects you to figure out on your own or with little guidance.

To answer your question, once you select a target and are close enough to it will prompt you that you can safely come out of warp (by pressing triangle on PS4)

I honesly don't blame anyone for being massively frustrated. My first night was a calamity of errors.

Hylian7

???

I don't understand your problem. If you slow down and are 1MM from the target, it will tell you it is safe to drop and you will be pretty close. You won't have to go far.

Also for stations, you can actually always be facing the entrance. In super cruise, go between the station and planet it is orbiting, then approach with the planet at your back. When you drop, you will be facing the mail slot. The mail slot always faces the planet.

Am i doomed?

No. Everyone starts out this way. The reward you receive depends on how much patience and effort you put into ED. It's like the Dark Souls of space sims.

Be patient stay in your Sidewinder until you master ship controls and landing. When you are ready to move on to a new ship make sure you have atleast 4x the amount of credits in your account it would take to buy from insurance. Before you know it you will be looking back at all the newb mistakes you made and laughing. It's a great game if you are patient and give it a chance.

Tomeru

So I started fresh after fiddling with the tutorials. I accepted a courier mission, got out into the void, plotted a course via the galaxy map - but it seems my ship cant jump because it cant carry enough fuel for a 8ly~ jump?

Also I couldnt scan stuff. It seems I have a basic scanner on board, and ut says its active - but I cant select it. Do I need to manually install it?

Sorry I still cant remember all the names of stuff...

So I started fresh after fiddling with the tutorials. I accepted a courier mission, got out into the void, plotted a course via the galaxy map - but it seems my ship cant jump because it cant carry enough fuel for a 8ly~ jump?

Also I couldnt scan stuff. It seems I have a basic scanner on board, and ut says its active - but I cant select it. Do I need to manually install it?

Sorry I still cant remember all the names of stuff...

What is the jump range on your ship? Is the fuel tank full?

For the scanner, make sure is mapped to a fire group.

God, I think I will buy it tomorrow.
I have absolutely no time for another mmo besides FFXIV, Crash trilogy is also coming tomorrow and I have a shitload of other games that I need to play through. And on the PS4 Pro it will also be the worst version at the moment but I can't resist to this ultra complex space travel sim.
Deep simulations are my fetish, I'm German, it's in my blood.

Peroroncino

thanks

Its the starting ship. I just took the first of two missions that were available.

Make sure your scanner is assigned to a fire group.

Go to a system map and find a system with some city so you can refuel, make sure to check 'econimic route' option instead of fastest so you won't go through deep space.

If you have no other choice then commit self-destruction or contact fuel rats. :p

God, I think I will buy it tomorrow.
I have absolutely no time for another mmo besides FFXIV, Crash trilogy is also coming tomorrow and I have a shitload of other games that I need to play through. And on the PS4 Pro it will also be the worst version at the moment but I can't resist to this ultra complex space travel sim.
Deep simulations are my fetish, I'm German, it's in my blood.

It's amazing, go for it.

BSpot

Full Disclosure, I have seen a few PS4 people here and there claim their game runs fine.

But this is on a PRO. Performance setting. Default FOV.

Sometimes the game runs ok, but mostly I get lots of screen tearing, frame skips, and low framerate in places...

(Copy pasting from another place I posted it.)

Screen Tearing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hPuQb2Hjnc

Screen Tearing and also jerky framerate: Fighting 1 ship in Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scHPBlY_exU

Screen Tearing flying in a straight line with nothing else on screen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmY0NrMwhNE

A few seconds in, the planet/scenery "jumps" or the game has a massive frame skip gap. This happens a lot. (11 seconds in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDHptofR9Jk

The one video I haven't shown (didn't capture one yet) was how hardcore the game frame rate lags when you look back forward right before the Galaxy Map or System Map loads...

This isn't to shit talk the game or whatever. I am digging it. But just be aware some are experiencing bad performance on PRO.

I can't wait for the digital foundry video to see if it really runs completely different on a standard PS4 and if it's just a broken Pro mode.

If that's the case I still have both PS4s at home, but it would be strange to play it on that console because it runs better there, weird.

Top Bottom