• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

I'm liking the PS4 T Flight HOTAS. Just did a couple of training missions to get the hang of it.

Having a physical throttle control makes a big difference as you've got a genuine reference, rather than just R1/L1.
As expected, a full size flight stick gives more subtle control than the DS4 thumb stick, but a noticeable improvement was having yaw mapped to the twist axis of the stick. It feels more natural and intuitive.
The default config (which I haven't changed so far) has the lateral thrusters mapped to the rudder control rocker on the throttle lever, with the altitude thrusters on the R2/L2 buttons next to it.
It's nice not to have to toggle flight modes when docking, just feels more integrated.

Struggling a bit with menus as I haven't got used to the positioning of the symbol buttons yet. The d-pad functions are mapped to the little 4-way Hat switch on the flight stick.

I noticed that the default config seems to have left L3 spare, which is just to the right of where your right thumb rests. Sure I'll find a good use for it.

I was concerned about the size of the HOTAS, as it's a big unit and quite weighty, but so far I've been using it on my lap with both halves linked together with no problems.

When I checked the compatibility list it did mention that Eve Valkyrie also supports it, so I might give that a try sometime, too.

Does the HOTAS X work on PS4? The HOTAS 4 looks like the exact same thing, just with different colors.

Not sure, sorry. I think the 4 is a revised version of the X. I read something about the 4 having a smaller dead zone, but apart from that and the positioning of the four buttons on the side of the throttle lever they seem to be the same.

It's probably more a matter of firmware than hardware.

Thanks for your impressions!
I will try the game first with the Dualshock to see if it will click with me.

I'm liking the PS4 T Flight HOTAS. Just did a couple of training missions to get the hang of it.

Having a physical throttle control makes a big difference as you've got a genuine reference, rather than just R1/L1.
As expected, a full size flight stick gives more subtle control than the DS4 thumb stick, but a noticeable improvement was having yaw mapped to the twist axis of the stick. It feels more natural and intuitive.
The default config (which I haven't changed so far) has the lateral thrusters mapped to the rudder control rocker on the throttle lever, with the altitude thrusters on the R2/L2 buttons next to it.
It's nice not to have to toggle flight modes when docking, just feels more integrated.

Struggling a bit with menus as I haven't got used to the positioning of the symbol buttons yet. The d-pad functions are mapped to the little 4-way Hat switch on the flight stick.

I noticed that the default config seems to have left L3 spare, which is just to the right of where your right thumb rests. Sure I'll find a good use for it.

I was concerned about the size of the HOTAS, as it's a big unit and quite weighty, but so far I've been using it on my lap with both halves linked together with no problems.

When I checked the compatibility list it did mention that Eve Valkyrie also supports it, so I might give that a try sometime, too.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Explorers then went out and mapped the "Neutron Highway" leading out to deep space. A recent expedition actually reached a previously unreachable cluster of stars with the help of this boost and synthesis boosts.

As there wasn't a Neutron star on the other side, they all signed up for what was essentially a suicide mission to chart an area no one had ever seen.

You can find footage from the expedition here on Dr. Kaii's channel. I believe Mengy was on this expedition if I'm not mistaken, if not more CMDRs from GAF.

The Elite throttle control is not like a car where it represents "what proportion of max power/braking should I apply?".
Instead it's a "what fraction of maximum speed should I be aiming for?"
Your ship will always be accelerate or decelerate at maximum rate in order to reach your target speed. This also applies in normal flight (unless you disable flight-assist) so there's no point hitting full-reverse when trying to stop in a docking bay. It's no faster than zero-throttle.
This is why the 75% throttle at 7s rule works so well and can't be improved with a "0% throttle at 5 seconds" rule. When you switch from 100% to 75% thrust, you'll be braking at your maximum rate, no different to if you selected 0%. And you must start braking somewhere between 6 and 7 seconds away or else your maximum deceleration will not be enough to stop you.
As you get quite close to your target, maximum deceleration becomes "too much" and would cause you to halt before reaching your target. Maintaining 75% of your maximum speed ensures you'll never stop and also never exceed 'overshoot velocity'.
This is why experienced pilots drop the 75% rule after the distance changes from Ls to Mm and try to manually maintain a (faster) speed where their Mm/s = sq-root(distance in Mm).

To these two posts:
tenor.gif

(I feel like this will get a lot of mileage in this thread.)

With that last gif of everyone crashing into the surface, what exactly was happening?
Why did they need a Neutron star on the other side? Did they know it would work like that?

With that last gif of everyone crashing into the surface, what exactly was happening?
Why did they need a Neutron star on the other side? Did they know it would work like that?

The supercharged FSD boost only last a single jump. This means there are certain locations you can jump *to* but not jump back from.

A number of explorers/groups have been doing these "suicide" missions to see what else is out there on the rim of the galaxy.

Gusy

hmmm.. just tried a few training missions on base PS4. It didn't feel 60ish smooth to me. It felt more around the vicinity of 40-50 fps. Maybe there's a frame pacing issue or something..

Or maybe let's wait for the Digital Foundry verdict. Just don't expect rock solid 60fps gameplay on base PS4

It's far from rock solid on X1 so that doesn't surprise me. Generally a fairly consistent 60 fps out in supercruise and general space, but combat zones, planets, space stations, etc. drop down for sure.

Curious what the Pro performance will look like.

darkwing

hmmm.. just tried a few training missions on base PS4. It didn't feel 60ish smooth to me. It felt more around the vicinity of 40-50 fps. Maybe there's a frame pacing issue or something..

Or maybe let's wait for the Digital Foundry verdict. Just don't expect rock solid 60fps gameplay on base PS4

same here, it isn't a smooth 60

btw are there planets with life? even just vegetation, all I see are rocks lol after NMS, it feels lifeless

ValeYard

Thanks for this. I went crazy yesterday and ordered a Hotas 4 too. I would've gone Hotas X if it was supported, so Hotas 4 seems to be the only option. On Frontier's forums I read that rudder peddles aren't supported, in case anyone's wondering.

Can't wait to be more immersed in spaaaace tonight with my Hotas.

btw are there planets with life? even just vegetation, all I see are rocks lol after NMS, it feels lifeless

Essentially all the landable planets are lifeless. There are some alien plant like things but they're incredibly rare.

Frontier has been adding more detail and variety to the planet surfaces but progress is slow. I wouldn't expect lush planets for years if ever.

Effect

i think the hotas x is ps3 not ps4 compatible, and vice versafor the 4. been looking into it as well

Yeah. One is suppose to be for the PS3 and other for the PS4. Both work on PC though. I had the Hotas 4 for a few days. Nice unit but big. Far bigger then I was expecting and just didn't have the room for it.

DrBo42

Essentially all the landable planets are lifeless. There are some alien plant like things but they're incredibly rare.

Frontier has been adding more detail and variety to the planet surfaces but progress is slow. I wouldn't expect lush planets for years if ever.

It used to be that atmospheric planets were just a matter of time and recently it's sounding more like an "if" than a "when". Maybe that's just poor communication but it's not a great sign.

Burny

Thanks for this. I went crazy yesterday and ordered a Hotas 4 too. I would've gone Hotas X if it was supported, so Hotas 4 seems to be the only option. On Frontier's forums I read that rudder peddles aren't supported, in case anyone's wondering.

Can't wait to be more immersed in spaaaace tonight with my Hotas.

Oh, don't worry. You haven't gone fully crazy before you start building this kind of stuff and are eyeing East European made high end joysticks, although you already have a perfectly fine one and dream of a three monitor setup:

I'm currently building this partial desk based "Sim pit", as the HOTAS and pedals sliding around and the chair being pushed back never felt quite right. It's also eventually supposed to hold the G27 I have lying around unused due to the lack of appropriate place to mount it.

Elite has long lost its magic for me. Problem being that the most fun I had was learning the basic mechanics and PvE. From there on, it was all about grinding X of Y and googling how to do Z, as to not waste days on it. Which is not to say I won't be back to check out any additions, but in the meantime I'm looking for more serious sims to use all the flight setup.

Edit:

*drool* said:

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
The supercharged FSD boost only last a single jump. This means there are certain locations you can jump *to* but not jump back from.

A number of explorers/groups have been doing these "suicide" missions to see what else is out there on the rim of the galaxy.

Oh right, so the crash wasn't directly caused by the jump. They just had nowhere else to go.

... o7

I'm still glad I picked up NMS (on the cheap) for when I want "alien planet survival game".
I don't play any other survival games, and it's got some good stuff going for it now like base building, etc.

But ED has taken over for now with its incredible flight controls and near-real world physics.

I just love the way everything feels and responds, too. The sound design/implementation is impeccable.

Burny

what's a good ship after the Sidewinder?

Combat? Viper Mk3. Trading? Adder or Hauler. Allrounder? Save up a bit and go for the Cobra Mk3. But you might want to go for a Viper or the traders in between, as outfitting a Cobra is quite a bit more expensive and getting there with a Sidewinder is more of a pita. The Eagle is more of a sidestep than anything.

Edit: Essentially every ship after the sidewinder is a good ship, as all of them open up far more of the game to you.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Does the HOTAS X work on PS4? The HOTAS 4 looks like the exact same thing, just with different colors.

I have a PS3 HOTAS X so I'll try it tonight when the game arrives.

For what it's worth I'm able to use it on War Thunder on PS4, but since that also uses mouse and keyboard no idea if it carries across.

somme

As am NMS fan I personally feel both it and Elite sit quite nicely next to each other. Obviously, Elite is the more hardcore sim but sometimes I don't want to wait ten minutes before reaching my destination.

I've only been playing Elite for a few days (bought it for PS4), but I can imagine I'll sink just as much time into it as I have NMS (several hundred hours).

As a space lover in general, it doesn't have to be either or.

I've noticed a few issues on the PS4Pro, but nothing game breaking. There have been a few times I've come out of supercruise and nothing has happened, but I was guessing that was more down to my awful Internet connection than anything else.

Away for a wedding this weekend so can't play until Monday, it's gonna be a long weekend...

I've noticed a few issues on the PS4Pro, but nothing game breaking. There have been a few times I've come out of supercruise and nothing has happened, but I was guessing that was more down to my awful Internet connection than anything else.

Away for a wedding this weekend so can't play until Monday, it's gonna be a long weekend...

I've also had some problems on Pro. Nothing to start with but then I started getting delays going in and out of supercruise, sometimes ending in an error message and being dumped back into the main menu.

Last night I tried solo game instead and it seemed a lot more stable. Maybe the servers are struggling as more PS4 players cone online?

I feel your pain about waiting until Monday; just come out of the channel tunnel en route to Disneyland Paris. Won't be back until late Sunday and then straight back to work on Monday morning. No game time for days!

somme

Last night I tried solo game instead and it seemed a lot more stable. Maybe the servers are struggling as more PS4 players cone online?

I was wondering if this was the case too. A couple of times I've been chucked to the main menu only to be told, "can't connect to Frontier servers."

I was fine with that, I had Necromancer Diablo DLC to play too.

I feel your pain about waiting until Monday; just come out of the channel tunnel en route to Disneyland Paris. Won't be back until late Sunday and then straight back to work on Monday morning. No game time for days!

Life can be very cruel to us gamers. Haha.

Peroroncino

New personal best in CQC TDM. :D

18:0 with 3 assists - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38NQPgGftII

I basically stuffed my entire team into a backpack and carried them the whole match since 25 kills is basically the winning threshold and the opposing team was actually pretty decent at killing my teammates. But man it felt pretty good staring at that score after the match. This mode really needs more love and better integration into the main mode, e.g. searching for a match inside our cockpits like with crew/wing etc.

Got it. Only paid 39,99€ cause the German department store Müller has 20% off on all games. Great!

Hope you'll like it.

Played the training missions to the advanced fight training part so far and I can't beat the second half of that.

Whatever I do, no matter what, I can't get this 2 ships in front of me, they are always behind me no matter if I boost, stop, turn, whatever.
I think I will skip that part, what kind of magic do I need to beat them? :D

danowat

Banned
Played the training missions to the advanced fight training part so far and I can't beat the second half of that.

Whatever I do, no matter what, I can't get this 2 ships in front of me, they are always behind me no matter if I boost, stop, turn, whatever.

Learn how to fly with flight assist off ;)

Peroroncino

Make sure your speed is in the blue zone [better maneuverability] and focus on having just 1 ship in front of you, you can try and use chaff to fuck up the other one's targeting for a while, buying you enough time to kill the one in front of you.

NEVER

It's the trainings mission, you have to beat it without changing settings and being a pro. :p
I don't even know how to turn it off.

No seriously, what can I do when an opponent is behind me, I can barely get out of it and have the feeling there is nothing I can do.

Make sure your speed is in the blue zone [better maneuverability] and focus on having just 1 ship in front of you, you can try and use chaff to fuck up the other one's targeting for a while, buying you enough time to kill the one in front of you.

NEVER

Thanks for the tips.

danowat

Banned
It's the trainings mission, you have to beat it without changing settings and being a pro. :p
I don't even know how to turn it off.

No seriously, what can I do when an opponent is behind me, I can barely get out of it and have the feeling there is nothing I can do.

Thanks for the tips.

From what I remember, it's doable, you just need to manage your speed and turning angle, you could also bait them into flying behind you and hitting the anchors and letting them blow past.

Dropping flight assist off, performing a quick turn, turning it back on again and boosting is a good technique to learn though in all seriousness.

Izuna

Banned
I just got this and got VR also.

Seems like my laptop can do 4k60 which is nice (1070). Dunno for VR yet tho.

Any idea why Supersampling performs better than OGSSAA?

From what I remember, it's doable, you just need to manage your speed and turning angle, you could also bait them into flying behind you and hitting the anchors and letting them blow past.

Dropping flight assist off, performing a quick turn, turning it back on again and boosting is a good technique to learn though in all seriousness.

Flight assist is pressing L3? That alternative mode? Or how do I change it?

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to find a straight answer on this but does this game have co-op/playing with friends functionality?

My friend and I are thinking of getting this game on PS4 and we're hoping that we can play together somehow?

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to find a straight answer on this but does this game have co-op/playing with friends functionality?

My friend and I are thinking of getting this game on PS4 and we're hoping that we can play together somehow?

Yes, you can form wings with your ships, or in certain ships you can join into a crew.

How is the game offline if zi want to avoid pvp entirely?

There is no Offline--just a Solo mode that is PvE but within the same online, connected world and background simulation.

TONS of players play Solo, though there haven't been any numbers released, to my knowledge. Playing PvP requires a certain amount of patience and willingness to be destroyed at random, but it can be very rewarding and immersive.

darkwing

There is no Offline--just a Solo mode that is PvE but within the same online, connected world and background simulation.

TONS of players play Solo, though there haven't been any numbers released, to my knowledge. Playing PvP requires a certain amount of patience and willingness to be destroyed at random, but it can be very rewarding and immersive.

you can't switch between them?

Trouble

Banned
Oh, don't worry. You haven't gone fully crazy before you start building this kind of stuff and are eyeing East European made high end joysticks, although you already have a perfectly fine one and dream of a three monitor setup:

Full crazy you say?

BntlKAtl.jpg

I play exclusively in VR and the stick and throttle are perfectly placed in relation to where they are in-game.

What i did was to rotate what power goes where so when i am all out assault i put power to the weapons. If i am getting attacked i put all power to the systems for more defence

It only clicked with me when i forgot pressing the dpad to changes them

Trouble

Banned
What handles are those? I've been wanting something similar to set it up for my X55 Hotas.

They are actually VESA pole mounts, let me see if I can find a link.

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OPC4BH2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Much of the content of the game is on servers. Do you think they'd put the whole galaxy on the disk?

I think most of the game is procedurally generated. Markets and missions are definitely server-side though. Also, it's a cheating prevention mechanism so you can't just give yourself enough credits to buy all the high-end ships.

It used to be that atmospheric planets were just a matter of time and recently it's sounding more like an "if" than a "when". Maybe that's just poor communication but it's not a great sign.

I was 50/50 on if I wanted atmospheric landings or space legs for season 3, but now it feels like it'll be neither. At least 2.3 was great imo. That's given me a lot of confidence on Elite's future even if updates are slower than hoped.

Top Bottom