• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Use your scoop, if your trying to collect materials you shoot the rock first then use your scoop like you would in space ship.

thanks

DFDgAVsUwAErKd2.jpg

I lost 1 SRV lucky I had 2 of them trying to collect the needed items

abbyabs

Thanks getting bored of scanning quince money making only made 16 million and already had enough, i think i will go and start this mission

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is cool:

gWoZka5.gifv

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6nys83/diamondback_leap/

Bah, I can't get the gif to embed, just click the link. :)

Stop it. I can't buy Horizons right now!

Does it matter where I sell the exploration data? Or do I get the same amount of credits regardless of where I'm turning in the data?

Afaik it doesn't matter. You can get a bonus if you're rank 5 with Li Yong-Rui. Not sure if there's any other way to improve your exploration income.

Thanks getting bored of scanning quince money making only made 16 million and already had enough, i think i will go and start this mission

I'm on this part

You'll need to collect the following:

2 Urn
2 Totem
2 Casket
2 Orb
2 Tablet
2 Relics

finding these things is a pain I already saved my game for the day will try again tomorrow maybe

I'm on this part

You'll need to collect the following:

2 Urn
2 Totem
2 Casket
2 Orb
2 Tablet
2 Relics

finding these things is a pain I already saved my game for the day will try again tomorrow maybe

You can find everything you need at the first site (might have to visit in Solo as others may have taken them and they won't respawn for a while)

Kyoufu

Got a lot done today. Unlocked Palin by traveling 5k ly outside the bubble and then farmed the fragments needed to access his upgrades. Got some Cadmium and Zircoium too. Now I'm ready to buy the Cutter and mod it for combat. Thinking of turreted Burst lasers on the top hardpoints and gimballed Multi-Cannons on the bottom hardpoints.

Shiiiiiit.... I just proposed this as a good activity for our group of 3.

It still is, just go solo long enough to get 2 of each artifact and once you got that then you are fine to do it in a wing.

You might not even have to go Solo, depends on if there is anyone else at the site.

You can find everything you need at the first site (might have to visit in Solo as others may have taken them and they won't respawn for a while)

I am just missing one Orb

what the hell do I do after I get all of them?

I would hate to collect them and then having to fly around scanning alien sites only to die and lose everything I collected

edit: shit how do I refuel my SRV?

edit 2: I figured it out too late 6 jumps to a station will be back for that Orb

Is this mission still available?

Yes. I just finished it 20 minutes ago. Amazing in VR.

I am just missing one Orb

what the hell do I do after I get all of them?

I would hate to collect them and then having to fly around scanning alien sites only to die and lose everything I collected

edit: shit how do I refuel my SRV?

edit 2: I figured it out too late 6 jumps to a station will be back for that Orb

read the instructions on the page. everything you need is at the link.

Does it matter where I sell the exploration data? Or do I get the same amount of credits regardless of where I'm turning in the data?

Kinda.

The data sells for the same value everywhere, but selling exploration data is an easy way to build reputation with the minor faction that controls a station. I'm not sure if it also affects superpower reputation or naval rank (guessing yes and no, respectively).

There are at least 3 engineers who need a good reputation with some minor faction to unlock them.
For example, Sirius Corp reputation is a requirement to unlock Marco Qwent (and the Sirius system permit), who is a gatekeeper for unlocking some other engineers and the most hated man in the galaxy.

I unlocked all the reputation-based engineers with the money I earned from my trip to the Jellyfish nebula (which I mainly did to unlock another engineer!)

It takes about 5 million in exploration data to go from neutral to allied (though most engineers unlock at just cordial or friendly).

Anybody has a link to a good Coriolis build for the Cobra MK3?

Im looking for a good all around build to do Rep grinding missions with some bounty stuff... Nothing too crazy.

I don't have a link, because I'd advise swapping on the fly based on what you're doing at that moment and using module storage for any rare modules.

A-grade the FSD and distibutor as priorities. Thrusters and sensors (and powerplant as needed) can be upgraded as you earn enough cash. The Cobra has lots of power so you don't have to compromise like you do on other ships.

Weapons are up to you since there are many combinations that work well. I'd avoid gimballed beam lasers since the distributor can't handle the load, and also avoid turrets since they're only useful on huge ships.

A kill warrant scanner and chaff launcher are useful utility modules for any bounty hunting.

A class 4 shield is the only essential module. Make it a class A or biweave if you can afford it. However, the Cobra is not a shield-tank, so don't bother with cell banks or boosters. The other slots can switch between fuel scoops, cargo racks, cabins, scanners and hull/module reinforcements depending on what you want to do. Putting a module reinforcement and a hull reinforcement in the class 2 slots will significantly increase your survivability.

Hylian7

Anybody has a link to a good Coriolis build for the Cobra MK3?

Im looking for a good all around build to do Rep grinding missions with some bounty stuff... Nothing too crazy.

TBH I have never flown a Cobra myself, but just playing with it on Coriolis, give this a try:

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/cob...==.Aw1/kA==..EweloBhBGaDpowBwgKYEMDmAbVIYSFA=

That said you may want to change some things on this. Based on what you said you wanted being "all around", I put cargo racks in there. I'm not sure if you actually want those or not. If you plan on pirating or collecting stuff, perhaps you want to get collector limpets too. You're still way under budget on your power plant here, so you can afford to change some stuff out for stuff consuming power if you want. I'd say the biggest weakness of the ship (at least from messing with it on Coriolis) is that it only has two utility mounts. You need a KWS for Bounty Hunting, and that leaves the other one to either be a Chaff Launcher, Shield Booster, or Heat Sink Launcher. The Heat Sink is needed if you get a Shield Cell Bank, you can get a class 4 one and replace one of the cargo racks with it if you go that route.

Megasoum

Banned
Couple of SRVs questions...

1- How do I get back to the mothership? I drive in the yellow square under the ship's Bay but I'm not seeing any options anywhere.

2- I'm doing a Planetary Scan mission... I got to the settlement and found the antenna thing but when I start scanning it starts moving up and then I lose focus... How do I manually aim my scanner to follow the antenna?

Hylian7

Couple of SRVs questions...

1- How do I get back to the mothership? I drive in the yellow square under the ship's Bay but I'm not seeing any options anywhere.

2- I'm doing a Planetary Scan mission... I got to the settlement and found the antenna thing but when I start scanning it starts moving up and then I lose focus... How do I manually aim my scanner to follow the antenna?

1. Drive into the yellow square and look for "Board ship" to be lit up in the lower right, then look down at the center panel and hit "Board ship".

2. You can use the SRV's turret mode.

Hylian7

Say what you want about those slave loving Imperials, but they have an eye for starship design.

Indeed they do. I plan to buy a Cutter one day, but I did fly one back in the beta of the patch they released in. It was quite nice.

I also love my Clipper, although I haven't used it as much.

ElfArmy177

Can someone tell me how this works with oculus rift?

1. Does it require touch controls? (I prefer them)
2. Any other real life hardware I need?
3. Is it as good as VR people say it is?
4. Does it get repetitive?

How did you keep track of your progress without having to remove the headset every 5 minutes to check the guide?
I removed the headset every 5 minutes to check the guide. lol

Can someone tell me how this works with oculus rift?

1. Does it require touch controls? (I prefer them)
2. Any other real life hardware I need?
3. Is it as good as VR people say it is?
4. Does it get repetitive?
1. I don't think it will work with touch controls at all. Stick, kb&m, or controller.

2. No. You'll need one of the above input devices. Most would recommend a HOTAS, but it's not required.

3. Yep. It's probably the premiere full-length game for VR play. If you like space ships n' shit.

4. Yes, it can. Depends on how you play the game. But it'll most likely be at least a couple hundred hours before then.

ElfArmy177

I removed the headset every 5 minutes to check the guide. lol

1. I don't think it will work with touch controls at all. Stick, kb&m, or controller.

2. No. You'll need one of the above input devices. Most would recommend a HOTAS, but it's not required.

3. Yep. It's probably the premiere full-length game for VR play. If you like space ships n' shit.

4. Yes, it can. Depends on how you play the game. But it'll most likely be at least a couple hundred hours before then.

What's a hotas and do you recommend a certain stick? Thanks :)

Hylian7

You have lots of choices for HOTAS depending on what you like, how much you are willing to spend, etc. I think we need to add a HOTAS guide to the OP.

There's the tippy top of the line, the Thrustmaster Warthog for the low low price of $449: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00371R8P4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Chances are you probably won't want to go with that one, but if you really do feel like dropping the cash on it, it's certainly very cool. It's largely considered the best for the market. It's based on actual US military jet controls. I don't have one myself, but I hear near universal praise for them. The stick does not have a twist rudder on it, but to some that's a good thing as they would rather use rudder pedals.

I know a handful of people in this thread swear by CH Products, they have a few options out there.

My personal recommendation, which is quite cheap and very nice: Thrustmaster FCT T16000M HOTAS: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KCHPRXA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Feels very nice, especially the throttle. I particularly like that the stick is stiffer than the other HOTAS I used. The buttons are also nice once you learn their placement, they have bumps to make that determination easier blindly.

There's also the Saitek X-52, although honestly it's hard to recommend that one over the Thrustmaster FCS T16000M unless you can get it for cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY285ZH/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It works, it has some extra functions, some of which you might never use, but like most of the others it's fully programmable. In my opinion, the stick is too wobbly, but it is still effective. Throttle has some weird detents to it, and the resistance on it can be changed.

I have no experience with this one, but there's also the super budget options: Thrustmaster T-Flight X: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXYMFS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009OY9U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

GeeTeeCee

I cashed in my rewards from the CGs and finally traded in my trusty Sidewinder for a nice new Cobra. It's fun to fly (I wasn't expecting it to feel so different in flight), and it's nice having 16x the cargo space and access to a fuel scoop. The only downside I've found so far is the worrying amount of proximity alerts I keep getting while flying into/out of station mailslots.

Depends entirely on how much you're willing to spend. You can start with a relatively inexpensive solution in the $60 range, go midrange with something in the $150 range, or higher end in the $300-$400 range.

You can also buy some parts now and others later. Lots of options there on PC.

Myself, I fly with a CH Products setup. CH Fighterstick Pro, CH Pro Throttle, and CH Pro Pedals. You can look those up to get a feel for the pricing. They have served me without issue for about 1800 hours of ED and have not been unplugged from my desktop in about 2.5 years. CH Products equipment is known to last literally decades and their throttle is one of the few that has an analog mouse on it. I highly recommend it for its durability and reliability alone. Never mind having somewhere on the order of 120 button commands and macros on the setup thanks to its extremely flexible scripting software. You can make any of its buttons do anything.

I highly recommend CH equipment. But no matter what, just try to get the best in whatever price range you can afford. You can always get something better later. But whatever you get, make sure it at least has a throttle and stick.

Also, if you're not looking to immediately get pedals, you will want a stick that has twist for good analog 3D movement. The more expensive sticks don't usually have twist, instead expecting their users to have pedals for the 3rd degree of movement. Obviously if your play space does not accommodate floor pedals, that will remove some options from contention so take all of that into consideration.

When you've narrowed down your options, I recommend asking about them again here for final opinions.
Just rolled a +36% Optimal Multiplier for the Dirty Drive thrusters. That's pretty good right?
It's okay. I believe they can roll up to 42%. Obviously get the best roll you can with the materials you have to roll.

vector824

I cashed in my rewards from the CGs and finally traded in my trusty Sidewinder for a nice new Cobra. It's fun to fly (I wasn't expecting it to feel so different in flight), and it's nice having 16x the cargo space and access to a fuel scoop. The only downside I've found so far is the worrying amount of proximity alerts I keep getting while flying into/out of station mailslots.

Man I loved the Cobra, especially after the Sidey. I wish they had an hour counter for each ship. I spent many many hours in the MkIII. I just recently went back in one to bounty hunt with my brother in his new purchased MkIII as well. So much fun flying circles around and taking down bigger ships than you.

I also stopped paying attention to those warnings a LONG time ago! Ships only get bigger from here. Enjoy!

Yes. I just finished it 20 minutes ago. Amazing in VR.

read the instructions on the page. everything you need is at the link.

Curious how long did this take you the first time you read these instructions?
Since you have done this successfully can you clear up some confusion for me?

They are not as clear to me as I assume was pretty easy for someone who knows everything about this game.

So far to me this is my second day, the instructions are a puzzle unto itself, trying to work my brain around what these terms mean. The Sheet and The Maps feel like they are written in different languages. I am sure they make sense to someone but you really have to be taught how to read them to follow them as a guide.

So I am reading the entire thread for more clues, it does not help things that at the end I have to go to OPEN and hope 4 other players are in the area to activate the final spots.

Upon further reading, I think slow grinding Quince could have gotten me 200M CR by now, this work load is slower when you don't know the next steps. If it were clear it would be easy but solving puzzles that have already been solved by the community is weird. The instructions are just not clicking. The level of complexity throws things off. You have a list sheet with these terms

HISTORY - BIOLOGY - LANGUAGE - TECHNOLOGY - CULTURE
(these seems like results of a scan not markers of obelisks)

The list is fine but step A, step B, step C and so on would be helpful instructions

just saying go down the list does not really provide much guidance as to how you go down the list.

So here is where I am confused

using the SHEET http://elite.realtrek.net/ruins.pdf first thing I see is
History
1 Ca

so to me this means load my SRV with a single Casket
then what? I guess I would have to drive to every obelisk on the map at the first site and Scan each one with that cargo waiting for something that updates my mission.

then go to step 2. History 2 CaCa go to every obelisk and rescan using this cargo 2x Casket

step 3 History CaUr my cargo would be 1 Casket 1 Urn go to every Obelisk and rescan

I can see how this would take 6 hours if I am even reading this correctly, I could be way off and the Sheet is read differently. So I need more guidance so I know that I am on the right track before wasting hours doing it all wrong.

I would have rather had carry CaCa to these Obelisks marked in this color.
Carry UrCa to these ones, and so on. If I have to rescan each one with different cargo on the full sheet then move on the the next planet sheesh.

I can see what the map is going for and I can see what the sheet is going for but I can't tell how to read the directions it is trying to give.

it seems like I have to go to my ship transfer a few specific items back to my SRV so I can scan the Obelisks

I checked the linked maps it seems they are color coded keys I have not figured them out yet if they are helping me choose which items to carry to which obelisk

The Maps http://www.nusantara.com.my/EliteDangerous/ruins1.html
the Key on the map says

(gray) Inactive Obelisk
(orange) Undiscovered Obelisk
(red) Cargo Proposed Obelisk
(green) Cargo Verified Obelisk

I think these keys on the map would mean something if they were defined somewhere in the instructions

Cargo Proposed?
Cargo Verified?
Undiscovered?
Inactive?

I am not sure how the Sheet connects with the Maps.
I understand at the beginning the whole community had to solve this puzzle and all the hard work has already be done but I am not sure how to really follow the guide.

Some good info provided, but I don't think anyone actually answered your first question. HOTAS stands for Hands On Throttle And Stick.

I recommend the Thrustmaster FCS. Upgraded from a Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 as I wasn't sure I wanted to invest not having played ED before, but wanted to start in VR and with a HOTAS. The T.Flight was workable, but the FCS is excellent and miles ahead.

Curious how long did this take you the first time you read these instructions?
Since you have done this successfully can you clear up some confusion for me?

They are not as clear to me as I assume was pretty easy for someone who knows everything about this game.

So far to me this is my second day, the instructions are a puzzle unto itself, trying to work my brain around what these terms mean. The Sheet and The Maps feel like they are written in different languages. I am sure they make sense to someone but you really have to be taught how to read them to follow them as a guide.

So I am reading the entire thread for more clues, it does not help things that at the end I have to go to OPEN and hope 4 other players are in the area to activate the final spots.

Upon further reading, I think slow grinding Quince could have gotten me 200M CR by now, this work load is slower when you don't know the next steps. If it were clear it would be easy but solving puzzles that have already been solved by the community is weird. The instructions are just not clicking. The level of complexity throws things off. You have a list sheet with these terms

HISTORY - BIOLOGY - LANGUAGE - TECHNOLOGY - CULTURE
(these seems like results of a scan not markers of obelisks)

The list is fine but step A, step B, step C and so on would be helpful instructions

just saying go down the list does not really provide much guidance as to how you go down the list.

So here is where I am confused

using the SHEET http://elite.realtrek.net/ruins.pdf first thing I see is
History
1 Ca

so to me this means load my SRV with a single Casket
then what? I guess I would have to drive to every obelisk on the map at the first site and Scan each one with that cargo waiting for something that updates my mission.

then go to step 2. History 2 CaCa go to every obelisk and rescan using this cargo 2x Casket

step 3 History CaUr my cargo would be 1 Casket 1 Urn go to every Obelisk and rescan

I can see how this would take 6 hours if I am even reading this correctly, I could be way off and the Sheet is read differently. So I need more guidance so I know that I am on the right track before wasting hours doing it all wrong.

I would have rather had carry CaCa to these Obelisks marked in this color.
Carry UrCa to these ones, and so on. If I have to rescan each one with different cargo on the full sheet then move on the the next planet sheesh.

I can see what the map is going for and I can see what the sheet is going for but I can't tell how to read the directions it is trying to give.

it seems like I have to go to my ship transfer a few specific items back to my SRV so I can scan the Obelisks

I checked the linked maps it seems they are color coded keys I have not figured them out yet if they are helping me choose which items to carry to which obelisk

The Maps http://www.nusantara.com.my/EliteDangerous/ruins1.html
the Key on the map says

(gray) Inactive Obelisk
(orange) Undiscovered Obelisk
(red) Cargo Proposed Obelisk
(green) Cargo Verified Obelisk

I think these keys on the map would mean something if they were defined somewhere in the instructions

Cargo Proposed?
Cargo Verified?
Undiscovered?
Inactive?

I am not sure how the Sheet connects with the Maps.
I understand at the beginning the whole community had to solve this puzzle and all the hard work has already be done but I am not sure how to really follow the guide.

You're over complicating it.

This is the guide I used. They just added a Route 2 which is faster and their pictures/instructions are the best IMO.

Here is how to read it.

JAxtl9M.jpg

For Scan #1 you put 2 Totem's in your SRV (ToTo), scan #1 and you get back the decoded "Culture 15" entry. Then for scan #2 you swap one Totem for a Casket (ToCa) and scan # 2, you get "Culture 16" for that. The asterisk means you can go straight to #3 as it uses ToCa as well and you'll get "History 17" and so on.

The Sheet is how you can keep track. Since each decoded entry is in one of the categories (History, Culture, etc...) and they are numbered you just check off/mark what ones you have and that lets you know your progress. To be honest I didn't even use the sheet. I just kept an eye on the number of total scans I should have at the end of each site and compared it to the payout listed in the Transaction tab since it is $1 Million credits per scan. So for example at the end of the first site from the image above the Transactions tab entry for the mission should list a $19 Million credit reward. Where the sheet comes in handy is if you have to quit half way through a site or are not doing them all in one go.

StonedRider

I turned off the music and most annoying ship voices like hyperspace engaged or countdown after first 3 hours of playing the game. I prefer silence of space.

You know you've played this game too much when it's quiet and that faint menu music is playing in your head...

Yes, that is quite a bit of playing, sir.

Supercruise music is what's stuck in my head.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqqcqFssESM

It's so good!

Okay you're all nutters. Turn the music down and turn up Netflix you savages.

if you're playing Elite Dangerous and are not playing Netflix on another screen or via overlay, you haven't been playing ED long enough.

hoserx

You have lots of choices for HOTAS depending on what you like, how much you are willing to spend, etc. I think we need to add a HOTAS guide to the OP.

There's the tippy top of the line, the Thrustmaster Warthog for the low low price of $449: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00371R8P4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Chances are you probably won't want to go with that one, but if you really do feel like dropping the cash on it, it's certainly very cool. It's largely considered the best for the market. It's based on actual US military jet controls. I don't have one myself, but I hear near universal praise for them. The stick does not have a twist rudder on it, but to some that's a good thing as they would rather use rudder pedals.

I know a handful of people in this thread swear by CH Products, they have a few options out there.

My personal recommendation, which is quite cheap and very nice: Thrustmaster FCT T16000M HOTAS: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KCHPRXA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Feels very nice, especially the throttle. I particularly like that the stick is stiffer than the other HOTAS I used. The buttons are also nice once you learn their placement, they have bumps to make that determination easier blindly.

There's also the Saitek X-52, although honestly it's hard to recommend that one over the Thrustmaster FCS T16000M unless you can get it for cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY285ZH/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It works, it has some extra functions, some of which you might never use, but like most of the others it's fully programmable. In my opinion, the stick is too wobbly, but it is still effective. Throttle has some weird detents to it, and the resistance on it can be changed.

I have no experience with this one, but there's also the super budget options: Thrustmaster T-Flight X: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXYMFS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009OY9U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Strangely, WM has the Thrustmaster 1600, stick alone for $59, but the picture shows it as a HOTAS setup: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thrustmaster-2960773-T-16000M-FCS-Flight-Stick/55464217

I wonder if an order / complaint could get you the whole thing for 59. haha

Hylian7

Strangely, WM has the Thrustmaster 1600, stick alone for $59, but the picture shows it as a HOTAS setup: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thrustmaster-2960773-T-16000M-FCS-Flight-Stick/55464217

I wonder if an order / complaint could get you the whole thing for 59. haha
It's a little confusing, the FCS T16000M is both the throttle and joystick. Just the T16000M only refers to the joystick. Bottom line, the FCS version only released a year or two ago, and the original had been available before that. On the original, the front slider was generally treated as the throttle, but of course a real throttle is much better, and you have more buttons to work with. Also the throttle and stick connect in different USB ports, as opposed to the Saitek X52, which uses one port, and has a cable to connect the throttle and stick.

That is pretty fucked that they false advertise it though. The picture is the FCS version.

You're over complicating it.

This is the guide I used. They just added a Route 2 which is faster and their pictures/instructions are the best IMO.

Here is how to read it.

JAxtl9M.jpg

For Scan #1 you put 2 Totem's in your SRV (ToTo), scan #1 and you get back the decoded "Culture 15" entry. Then for scan #2 you swap one Totem for a Casket (ToCa) and scan # 2, you get "Culture 16" for that. The asterisk means you can go straight to #3 as it uses ToCa as well and you'll get "History 17" and so on.

The Sheet is how you can keep track. Since each decoded entry is in one of the categories (History, Culture, etc...) and they are numbered you just check off/mark what ones you have and that lets you know your progress. To be honest I didn't even use the sheet. I just kept an eye on the number of total scans I should have at the end of each site and compared it to the payout listed in the Transaction tab since it is $1 Million credits per scan. So for example at the end of the first site from the image above the Transactions tab entry for the mission should list a $19 Million credit reward. Where the sheet comes in handy is if you have to quit half way through a site or are not doing them all in one go.

Oh I really like these new maps on Path 2 really nice
I'll go try this path thanks for the help

Top Bottom