• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

This is probably my favorite bug. Even if you win Wheel of Fortune, you lose. (From the Bug forum, not my screenshot)

PD4BbW4.jpg

Speaking of which.. exploration data is tied to the pilot, isn't it? So once I get back to Earth, I can just hop into my FDL (which is fully decked out and more than capable of holding its own against practically anything, under normal circumstances) and go see Felicity or whoever to turn in the data, right? If they have the weapons thing sorted out by then, that will be my plan. My Asp is armed, but not very strongly, especially considering how weak my shields are... the last time I got into a fight with it, the shields melted way too fast and I ended up taking more damage than I'd like.
Yep, tied to pilot.

Jedi2016

Jesus, look at this shit (from Reddit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6HjebZFYs

That's pretty damned conclusive... the ship is firing PA rounds from a multicannon (or a PA firing at multicannon speeds), without heat buildup or concern for ammo.

Even though I'm not really at risk where I am, I'm glad I have Shadowplay going, so I can record in case some stupid shit happens. I recommend everyone else do the same, and let FD know they're shit's fucked up.

I haven't encountered the full auto PA bug yet but man, Patreus headhunters are after me in Apam Napat.

Its so bad that the first thing I do when I drop in its find the local security service and just gang with them for extra protection haha.

DrBo42

Good lord I hate driving around installations with the SRV. Thing gets caught on so much collision it's insane. I've had to self destruct twice already today because of it.

Tried a HazRes today and no, I'll not get into one again any time soon :D Killed a Clipper and he crushed me down to 42% lol

Some of my modules where at 0% after that. Including the Sensors! I was able to repair them with my repair unit though. So guys, an interesting question:
What do you do if your sensors are fucked? I was not able to contact a station to land! Are you lost in space without sensors? :D

That said, switching to collecting materials in RES is stupid. How are you supposed to do this? I'm in a FAS and it's equipped for combat. I sacrificed the lowest internals for collector limped and cargo already but that's only 8 limpets. So I shoot some guys, send a collector, wait aka keep kinda stationary and do some "turreting". After half an hour my limpets are gone and I have to leave. WTF!
This is only worthwhile with a kinda collector ship. It seems the best way is to be in an asp or something like this and do some lurking. Waiting for Security to do the work (and they are plenty and FAST at killing now) and use your own pew-laser to hit the target once to be granted the bounty and the materials.

@ Bi-Weave Shields: WHAT THE FUCK! Was about to get one for my FAS and was wondering if this exact station does not have them in stores. That's fucked up.

@ Anton: wow, this does indeed look even more badass. I kinda dig the look of the Vulture and the FAS. The FAS especially looks like a karp :D

Pomerlaw

Spoken like a man that hasn't played 2.1, or hasn't been in the bubble since the update. I'm on to you, Pomerlaw.

;)

I played 2.1, all in the bubble, but no combat yet. I'm sure there are problems, I believe you guys, but they look like bugs, not imbalance. They will patch it, best is to open a ticket.

Man, I wish ice worlds looked like this, holy shit:

benandrews_ice_planet.jpg

One day, maybe?

I hope the Stellar Forge is further refined to add:

-Horizontal displacement (of course)
-Intelligent procedural placement of crafted assets (like the concept screen above and the ones used in Engineer bases)

E-flux

Man, I wish ice worlds looked like this, holy shit:

benandrews_ice_planet.jpg

We are one step closer to it thanks to tire tracks..It's a shame that the current world generation is kinda boring and many of the glitches are getting patched out, like those huge plateaus which had vertical cliffs sometimes going up kilometers.

regarding reputation for engineers: You are talking about handing in exploration data to farseer. What level is that? I should buy some modification with her like with any other engineer. There's no other option :(

DrBo42

regarding reputation for engineers: You are talking about handing in exploration data to farseer. What level is that? I should buy some modification with her like with any other engineer. There's no other option :(

You unlock her with the alloy and then you have to exit to main menu and jump back in for the cartographics option to show up. Around 500k in data will get you to Grade 3 instantly.

Pomerlaw

One day, maybe?

I hope the Stellar Forge is further refined to add:

-Horizontal displacement (of course)
-Intelligent procedural placement of crafted assets (like the concept screen above and the ones used in Engineer bases)

I agree, horizontal displacement is a must in the future, especially for atmo planets (we need erosion and things like that). I'm quite happy with the recent update, it is a move in the right direction. The engine looks quite powerful, my 660 is running things pretty damn fine. They have a lot of juice left to add effects.

You unlock her with the alloy and then you have to exit to main menu and jump back in for the cartographics option to show up. Around 500k in data will get you to Grade 3 instantly.
Damn, sold my X-Data yesterday cause I did not want to lose it when checking RES'. Since my ship is @ the Blaster engineer right now I checked his workshop and indeed you can hand in further bounties as well. Handy! But this is bugged as well. The moment you click on Workshop you can see the status bar for bounties. But after this it switches to the normal bar with zero progression again lol.

DrBo42

Damn, sold my X-Data yesterday cause I did not want to lose it when checking RES'. Since my ship is @ the Blaster engineer right now I checked his workshop and indeed you can hand in further bounties as well. Handy! But this is bugged as well. The moment you click on Workshop you can see the status bar for bounties. But after this it switches to the normal bar with zero progression again lol.

He seems to only increase via bounties he's put out. So you'd need to hunt in his system with a scanner and pray you get his bounties.

He seems to only increase via bounties he's put out. So you'd need to hunt in his system with a scanner and pray you get his bounties.
Perhaps the bar I see for a glimpse is something else then. Because those where bounties from over the whole universe lol. Would be really cool if I could get rid of them anyway. And I was able to sell them!

akira28

My Asp is armed, but not very strongly, especially considering how weak my shields are... the last time I got into a fight with it, the shields melted way too fast and I ended up taking more damage than I'd like.

Don't fight in an asp. the asp standard hull is -40% vulnerable to some new missile type that the npcs love to spam. And the PA cannon will eat your shield away in one hit. So if anything bigger than an eagle intercepts you, run.

funny thing though. I've been flying around in a military hardened Cobra 3 and it can survive a combat zone. My Asp and Anaconda had trouble, but I'm guessing its because they are much bigger targets, and if their shields go down its just a matter of time until a vital component goes down too, leaving you dead in the water. with the smaller ships I'm finding that I'm a lot harder to hit, and survivability is up. I was filling in bounties and made a couple million that way. Still only 3 points in empire opinion.

Unicorn

So I'm doing a delivery mission, as I do, and the mission got updated to a new location, as it does, and I arrive at this new location but there is no option to turn my mission in. What gives? It was worth a lot too. I really wanna turn it in.

~Cross~

Jesus, look at this shit (from Reddit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6HjebZFYs

That's pretty damned conclusive... the ship is firing PA rounds from a multicannon (or a PA firing at multicannon speeds), without heat buildup or concern for ammo.

Even though I'm not really at risk where I am, I'm glad I have Shadowplay going, so I can record in case some stupid shit happens. I recommend everyone else do the same, and let FD know they're shit's fucked up.

I think most people would be fine with the AI in the game if it didn't cheat. That shit is bonkers and no one could expect to be flying an expensive ship in the game on a RES site if there was a chance you'd run into a ship with god accelerators.

The O-Forums are insufferable, but its to be expected.

Burny

I think most people would be fine with the AI in the game if it didn't cheat.

According to the main AI programmer:

Q. When Sarah commented in one of these threads I replied with a plea to make sure that NPCs are under the same constraints as we are in terms of ammo stocks and the like. Things like Chaff and Heatsinks need to have a finite effect for AI ships. The existing AI in 2.0 and prior seem to have UNLIMITED AMMO stocks as well as unlimited Chaff and other defensive items. Forcing them to finite quantities of all of this stuff would go a long way to reduce their spamming of Chaff in combat.

AI ships do not have infinite chaff, heat sinks, SCBs, missiles, mines, torpedoes, rail gun ammo... They will run out, same as players. It has been tested. Their ships use the same modules, same weapons etc. By design, they do have infinite MC ammo. This is to stop them fleeing when running out of ammo (they'd hi-wake otherwise).

The cheating apparently only applies to MC ammo - the currently bugged weapons notwithstanding. Concerning the drives:

Q. Even with improved drives there's no way they could boost constantly and charge shields at the same time. It looks like npcs have 8 pips to distribute?

Easy! 4 pips to ENG, 2 pips to SYS, 0 pips to WEP. (well, they do juggle the pips to recharge weapons on a slow trickle if needed) No cheating, players can do the same. I did say I've improved their pip management... https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=247046&page=8&p=3852962#post3852962

Her answers in that thread are an intersting read. Aside from some obvious issues, it doesn't sound like the AI is cheating that much.

Of course, even without cheats or bugs, overly commonly Engineer boosted drives or upgraded weapons among NPCs might skew the balance in infavourable directions from a player perspective.

Unicorn

So I'm doing a delivery mission, as I do, and the mission got updated to a new location, as it does, and I arrive at this new location but there is no option to turn my mission in. What gives? It was worth a lot too. I really wanna turn it in.
Anyone? Is it just bugged?

Reckheim

Did anyone know the Neo Galactic Adventure Force is also in Lorden? Wtf...when did this happen?

We were in a growth (i believe that's what its called) state for a bit in the past and when that happens the group expands to other nearby systems.

jond76

Banned

The cheating apparently only applies to MC ammo - the currently bugged weapons notwithstanding. Concerning the drives:

Her answers in that thread are an intersting read. Aside from some obvious issues, it doesn't sound like the AI is cheating that much.

Of course, even without cheats or bugs, overly commonly Engineer boosted drives or upgraded weapons among NPCs might skew the balance in infavourable directions from a player perspective.

I haven't had an issue with AI.

I think people got used to dog piling Masters and Elites with easy success. Now you really have to take into account their status before engaging.

~Cross~

Ammo is not the only thing though. Anyone thats played the game knows that you are constraint by more than just it. Your weapons capacitor, the heat generated by your weapons, all of theses things affect the player but doesn't seem to affect the AI.

Then there is the fact that blowing up things like an enemies sensors doesn't stop them from still being able to fucking shoot you down like an ace with gimbaled weapons which is impossible for a normal player.

derFeef

is there a way to backup custom controls?
I just wanna make sure I can switch back to my custom keyboard setup before I swtich to a controller layout (to play in VR lazy mode).

DrBo42

is there a way to backup custom controls?
I just wanna make sure I can switch back to my custom keyboard setup before I swtich to a controller layout (to play in VR lazy mode).

Yeah it's here C:\Users\derFeef\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Just copy the Custom entry and move it somewhere safe.

Unicorn

I thought maybe I didn't t have cargo space for the reward so I bought more space, but I still can't claim my mission complete. Left the station and landed again too. Sucks. I wanted the 100k+ reward.

DrBo42

Anyone? Is it just bugged?

I thought maybe I didn't t have cargo space for the reward so I bought more space, but I still can't claim my mission complete. Left the station and landed again too. Sucks. I wanted the 100k+ reward.

Probably bugged. Does the mission icon correctly show up at the new location on the galaxy/system map?

DrBo42

sorry, yes, that's the one.

No worries, lots of states. Not even sure what "Boom" does for a faction really.

People should really get down to Ngolibardu for their bounty CG right now. Rewards are getting crazy. Top 10% gets over 17 million. Heading there in my 16ly jump range Corvette right now ;D

Reckheim

No worries, lots of states. Not even sure what "Boom" does for a faction really.

People should really get down to Ngolibardu for their bounty CG right now. Rewards are getting crazy. Top 10% gets over 17 million. Heading there in my 16ly jump range Corvette right now ;D

I might just do that tonight. Need a bit of a boost to my spending money.

Yeah that CG is ridiculous. Taking my vulture there today.

No idea what boom does but it sounds good! Haha. I've been avoiding taking out any Wanted NeoGAF npcs.

I don't know if this is a bug or what but when I take a NeoGAF mission that requires a delivery to another system, upon completion, the results screen (for some reason) says, in red text, something like "further aggression against this faction could lead to civil unrest".

I really hope the messaging is just bugged and not the mission effects...

DrBo42

Yeah that CG is ridiculous. Taking my vulture there today.

No idea what boom does but it sounds good! Haha. I've been avoiding taking out any Wanted NeoGAF npcs.

I don't know if this is a bug or what but when I take a NeoGAF mission that requires a delivery to another system, upon completion, the results screen (for some reason) says, in red text, something like "further aggression against this faction could lead to civil unrest".

I really hope the messaging is just bugged and not the mission effects...

It might be what's effecting a rival faction in the delivery system, hopefully.

RE: Cg. I just redeemed 1.6 mil in bounties and hit the 12.8 million reward tier... Crazy.

New guys should really get in on this. We can help you.

Reckheim

Below is what i could find about the different states that can affect our group.

States

A minor faction can only be in one active state at a time, but it can have several pending states. A system can have one or more active states due to the system containing one or more minor factions each having their own state. A pending state that has "critical" status will be the next state unless there is a rapid change in player activity.

Boom
Boom states start when there are increases in wealth and standard of living. While active it increases the wealth of the system and benefits of trade missions completed for the minor faction.

Generally a boom state will continue for 3 weeks or until its accrued "boom value" is spent.

"When in boom, the wealth of a system is increased for the duration and all trade missions have double the influence. Boom can also positively increase a minors faction's influence. Boom can be entered by consistent trade profits and completed trade contracts. Boom tends to last until they naturally expire or until some other indicator takes precedence, such as famine."

Outbreak
Triggered by low level standard of living and development level. Decreases standard of living while active. Medicine trade missions are more effective, combat missions and actions provide no benefit to the minor faction.

Lockdown
Triggered by low security and development level for system. Increases security level while active and loses wealth for the same period. Bounty hunting for the minor faction has a greater impact.

Checkpoints are spawned when the controlling minor faction is in a lockdown state.

"Lockdowns increase the security rating for a system but also have a negative effect on the system's wealth. Increased bounty hunting activity can shorten the lockdown period."

Civil Unrest
Is triggered on decreases of security and standard of living. While active it continues to lower security and standard of living for the system. All combat missions and actions for the minor faction are more effective.

Creating civil unrest can be done by importing prohibited items to a station.[citation needed]

Conflicts
Conflicts involve two factions competing for control of a station. The relationship between the two factions determines if the conflict is a war, civil war, or election. If the station the conflict is over is the system's controlling station, the conflict can change ownership of the system.

War
War is triggered by an invading minor faction reaching a high enough influence level. Decreases standard of living, wealth and security for the system while active. Influence changes only apply to the involved parties and are only applied from combat missions or actions.

Civil War
Triggered by changes in influence between competing minor factions or when a single minor faction reaches a high enough influence level. Standard of living and security level is decreased while this state is active. Generates Conflict Zones and only combat missions or actions provide any benefit to the minor faction.

Civil War can not be triggered by a faction with less than 5% influence in a system, however any minor faction above 5% can start a civil war with a minor faction below 5%. If a minor faction has greater than 70% of influence, a Civil War will automatically start between the minor faction and the controlling faction unless one of those factions is already engaged in a Civil War elsewhere.

If one of the current effects on a faction is Lockdown while trying to cause Civil War one can do bounty hunting to reduce the Lockdown time.

After a civil war is triggered there is a cooldown of 3 days before another civil war can occur.Civil wars can only occur between two minor factions at a time.Additionally, a minor faction can only be engaged in a single Civil War at a time (i.e. a Civil War cannot break out in a system if one of the factions is already engaged in a Civil War elsewhere). Upon the conclusion of a civil war the most valuable space station is transferred from the losing minor faction to the winning minor faction and thus can cause the system's controlling minor faction to change.

Election
Elections are a peaceful alternative to a civil war.

The factions involved are deciding which should become the controlling faction. This state may occur when a minor faction that is not the controlling power's influence raises to near the level of the controlling faction's influence.

"Elections occur when two minor factions of a similar political structure resolve a conflict over ownership and influence within a system."

Expansion
When a minor faction's influence reaches a high enough level they will enter a state of expansion. This state will decrease wealth while active and increase development level at the same time. The minor faction who obtained the expansion state will be added to the minor faction list of a nearby system.

"Expansion occurs when a minor faction reaches a sufficient influence rating and there is a populated system within striking distance. The act of expansion is a costly one, and the wealth and development rating suffers during the period of expansion."

While the expansion state is active missions will begin to appear in a nearby system to allow the expanding faction to build their influence in the new system.[citation needed]

Famine
A starvation is on-going - see Famine for more details.

The info might be a bit outdated, comes from the elite wiki, see below for full link.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Faction_State#States

Top Bottom