• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Force the Anisotropic Filtering through the driver

That won't help. The problem is with FDev's level of detail routines for 2.1. Planet surfaces have much more detail down at SRV level but at altitude planet textures are much worse than they were in 2.0. It's a known issue that was recognized by the devs in beta, but they launched 2.1 anyway without fixing it. There isn't any way to make it better currently, hopefully FDev can get it working right sooner rather than later, but I would not bet money on it.

Reckheim

That won't help. The problem is with FDev's level of detail routines for 2.1. Planet surfaces have much more detail down at SRV level but at altitude planet textures are much worse than they were in 2.0. It's a known issue that was recognized by the devs in beta, but they launched 2.1 anyway without fixing it. There isn't any way to make it better currently, hopefully FDev can get it working right sooner rather than later, but I would not bet money on it.

Honestly, if they did it to improve the framerate on planets then i'd rather keep it the way it is.

I'm enjoying the performance boost.

Unicorn

Wow these community goals are suuuuuuper good. Got into the top 50% on this current one and will get over 2 million once time ends. If it goes to the next tier do the payouts get even better?

I will say I've gotten better at landing now that I had to do like 10 runs haha

SmartBase

Honestly, if they did it to improve the framerate on planets then i'd rather keep it the way it is.

I'm enjoying the performance boost.

I'd be okay with it if it looked like that on lower settings but it would be silly of them to downgrade the highest settings just for a few extra frames and worse looking planets.

Wow these community goals are suuuuuuper good. Got into the top 50% on this current one and will get over 2 million once time ends. If it goes to the next tier do the payouts get even better?

I will say I've gotten better at landing now that I had to do like 10 runs haha

Yep, as the tiers are completed the payouts increase. The combat CG at Ngolibardu gave me almost 20M for the top 25% rank.

Hylian7

Yeah, any time I got close to a planet before I'd drop 10-15fps, it was pretty bad.
I haven't played since 2.1 hit, but back before then, getting close to a planet's surface with my ship or dropping down in my SRV often had horrible framerates for a minute or two, then eventually got better. Usually I just dropped most of the planet graphic settings to low for framerates though.

Reckheim

I haven't played since 2.1 hit, but back before then, getting close to a planet's surface with my ship or dropping down in my SRV often had horrible framerates for a minute or two, then eventually got better. Usually I just dropped most of the planet graphic settings to low for framerates though.

Try it now, its a lot better. Its probably my favorite thing from the 2.1 update.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So Mark Allen, programmer for FDev, made a very detailed post in my thread about the actual nature of the AI super weapon bug and how it happened. Really good read:

Mark's post here

It's also very likely that solo mode is not afflicted by the bug at all due to network handling routines being the cause of it. Interesting.

Mark Allen said:
What did this do exactly? Well in that example the weapon would have thought it was a slugshot: it'd make decisions on ammo, when to fire, how much power to consume and heat to generate as if it were a slugshot. It then tells the game to fire 12 shots but now we're outside the areas that use the cached data, the weapon manager knows its a railgun and dutifully fires 12 railgun shots . Depending on which machine this occurred on exactly it would either be as a visual artefact only that does no damage, or (more rarely but entirely possible) the weapon would *actually* fire 12 shots and carve a burning trail of death through the space in front of it. The hilarious part (for people not being aimed at) is that the bug can potentially cause hybrids of almost any two weapons... In my testing I've seen cases of railguns firing like slugshots, cannons firing as fast as multicannons, or my favourite absurd case of a Huge Plasma Accelerator firing every frame because it thought it was a beam laser... Ouch.

So Mark Allen, programmer for FDev, made a very detailed post in my thread about the actual nature of the AI super weapon bug and how it happened. Really good read:

Mark's post here

It's also very likely that solo mode is not afflicted by the bug at all due to network handling routines being the cause of it. Interesting.

Hahaha, I played a lot of solo this past week and didn't notice it at all--just the more advanced/difficult AI.

Reckheim

We had 4.9% influence in apam napat yesterday, today we are at 7.5%. I'm assuming this is because we are in a boom state at the moment.

Now would probably a good time to do some missions for Neo Galactic Adventure Force (don't do any missions for the other factions in the system).

Jedi2016

Mark's post here

In any event, the good news is they know exactly what was causing it, which means they know how to fix it. I also imagine it's a quick server-side fix, wouldn't even require a client patch.

So my ship will actually make it back to Earth once I get back to the bubble.. lol.

CaLe

Any guides you guys recommend ? I just bought the season pass and I barely bought the main game, but I really want to get into it :)

Unicorn

Any guides you guys recommend ? I just bought the season pass and I barely bought the main game, but I really want to get into it :)

Game opens up the sooner you ditch the sidewinder for something better. Viper MkIV has so many slots and options.

Pomerlaw

Get a Hauler, it is dirt cheap to upgrade. Do courrier missions or join a community goal that you need to trade / ship materials. Don't bother arming it.

It can also make a great explorer!

euh06gg.jpg

Once you get better, you can use it for shadow missions. Once you have a couple millions, switch to a Cobra if you want!

Hylian7

Get a Hauler, it is dirt cheap to upgrade. Do courrier missions or join a community goal that you need to trade / ship materials. Don't bother arming it.

It can also make a great explorer!

euh06gg.jpg

Once you get better, you can use it for shadow missions. Once you have a couple millions, switch to a Cobra if you want!

It's also the best throwaway ship when moving all your ships to the same station.
highfive.gif

Frontier pls give ship transport, just have a "shipping time" of a week or something. It's just really tedious to move every ship to a new station if you wanted to change "home" systems.

That reminds me, I can go sell all those Sidewinders I bought to use as bookmarks and actually bookmark the system. Woo free ~$300k

Pomerlaw

It's also the best throwaway ship when moving all your ships to the same station.
highfive.gif

Frontier pls give ship transport, just have a "shipping time" of a week or something. It's just really tedious to move every ship to a new station if you wanted to change "home" systems.

That reminds me, I can go sell all those Sidewinders I bought to use as bookmarks and actually bookmark the system. Woo free ~$300k

haahaha yes they need some kind of ship transport. Maybe when they will add bigger ships? I'd like to do ship transport missions! They should bring this feature with passenger missions.

zorbsie

Worth grabbing on X1 tomorrow? What's the general consensus on the update?

Been loving it on XB1. Can't wait to get Horizons tomorrow. The controls need some time to get used to. A flight stick is a better option to play the game, but I feel it plays just fine with the elite controller.

Reckheim

We had 4.9% influence in apam napat yesterday, today we are at 7.5%. I'm assuming this is because we are in a boom state at the moment.

Now would probably a good time to do some missions for Neo Galactic Adventure Force (don't do any missions for the other factions in the system).

We are sitting at 8.1% today, the leading faction in the system is going down fairly fast as well, they are now below 70%.

DrBo42

We are sitting at 8.1% today, the leading faction in the system is going down fairly fast as well, they are now below 70%.
Saw that Boom Time mission issue someone else reported. Deliver cargo to another system and it warns of Civil Unrest for our faction upon delivery. Super weird.

Reckheim

Saw that Boom Time mission issue someone else reported. Deliver cargo to another system and it warns of Civil Unrest for our faction upon delivery. Super weird.

Yeh, I got that a few times too. Only happens occasionally tho. Maybe once every 20 missions or so.

Dineren

Banned
Anyone had the game give you a matchmaking error every time you try to land at a planetary base? I've got a mission at Pavlou Depot to turn in and everytime I get within 5km, I get dumped back to the main menu with an error that it can't connect to the matchmaking server.

During the beta there were others that had the same issue apparently, but the fix they were given didn't help.

SmartBase

I haven't got reimbursed yet (I don't even know if it's automatic or if I have to claim it) but Just saw an extra 20 mil appear in my balance, excellent.

Can confirm there are no more magic AI weapons, can finally get into the material grind.

Pomerlaw

It looks rough but considering the hardware, the CPU and GPU of the Xbox One, I have to imagine it was quite a feat to get it to work in the first place, with the kind of horsepower planetary landings require on PC.

The game isn't that demanding, it is very well optimized now. I'm running Horizons on an Core i3 2100 and a 660... High settings at 1080 never drops under 30, most of the time 45-60. Ultra settings at 720p runs about the same.

Did they make the purchase options less confusing recently? I remember it looking complicated, but now it seems like its just $40 CAD for the base game, or $80 for all the stuff, including all this new Horizons stuff.

SmartBase

Finding firmware from data points is ridiculous, you need to raid dozens of surface bases just to get a chance of getting one of the firmwares you need for a crafting recipe. Most of the other materials I've found relatively easily and in abundance (conflict zones with a capital ship, Type 7/9s in hazardous sites, etc.) but singular firmware drops being tied to non-respawning surface bases is just dumb.

DrBo42

Finding firmware from data points is ridiculous, you need to raid dozens of surface bases just to get a chance of getting one of the firmwares you need for a crafting recipe. Most of the other materials I've found relatively easily and in abundance (conflict zones with a capital ship, Type 7/9s in hazardous sites, etc.) but singular firmware drops being tied to non-respawning surface bases is just dumb.

Yeah it's the worst data/material to farm by far IMO.

Congrats! Is that from Beagle Point?

Yup. Arrived just a few days short of the deadline to make the Official Roster list for the Distant Worlds Expedition as well.

Was kinda hoping Jaques Station would be there to greet me but it was not to be.

Can I have some context ? (I'm new to the game). Is it a far away galaxy that you're trying to reach ?

Beagle Point is 65,279 Light Years away from Sol (our Solar System) and is a special system in the history of Elite: Dangerous.

It takes a lot of time and hours to get there. In my 33 LY ASP I can do roughly 2,000 LY an hour in perfect conditions and with no issues and I can say, it's not always that way.

Real Life was the biggest obstacle as I could only play for an hour or two at a time and the past few months haven't afforded me hardly any time. If it wasn't for some unexpected time off the past two days (where I put in about 10 hours flying) I wouldn't have made it in time for the deadline.

Top Bottom