• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBo42

Mh, that doesn't sound good for my laptop. I only managed to start the download this morning. Will have to see how it handles itself and whether such drops will be limited to the surface.

If you're away from settlements, it's pretty much the same in my experience. Just something about those bases that murders frames.

Burny

If you're away from settlements, it's pretty much the same in my experience. Just something about those bases that murders frames.

That would be something at least. Before the Radeon supercruise issues are resolved that doesn't bode well for me playing the game completely smoothly though. >.< Most of my playtime is on the laptop and only a little on the living room gaming PC so far. Makes me think of building another midrange PC for the desk which would have to be pretty small to fit in. Or exchanging my R9 280X on the gaming PC. *Grrrr*!

Hylian7

Ah k. I don't have any fps drops really at all but my setup is this:

i5 4690 @ 4ghz
gtx 970
8 gb ram

That's not too far off from what I have then, should be fine if this thing ever works.

Frontier forums went down, I want to believe that means they are fixing it, but it is probably just Frontier incompetence at work again.

Burny

Frontier forums went down, I want to believe that means they are fixing it, but it is probably just Frontier incompetence at work again.

Eh, there's not much you can do with competence if your servers aren't up to the load of requests they're experiencing. The only competent thing to do would be ramping up the server's capabilities and/or number before you experience a load peak. Foreseeing exactly how much more capabilities you're going to need under certain circumstances is sometimes all but impossible, so beside of competence, you'd aslo need a crystal ball.

If this is load related...

Hylian7

Eh, there's not much you can do with competence if your servers aren't up to the load of requests they're experiencing. The only competent thing to do would be ramping up the server's capabilities and/or number before you experience a load peak. Foreseeing exactly how much more capabilities you're going to need under certain circumstances is sometimes all but impossible, so beside of competence, you'd aslo need a crystal ball.

If this is load related...

The forum thing probably was.

This thing about people not being able to play definitely isn't though.

Burny

This thing about people not being able to play definitely isn't though.

I wasn't able to even download the Beta the yesterday evening. Always had an error saying that the server didn't deliver the files. This morning I was finally able to start the download.

Load related issues can sometimes take a whole lot of forms. >.< Have you contacted Frontier's support?

GeoGonzo

- The cockpit canopy can now be repaired by the AFM

Woah there! So, they completely eliminated the biggest fear there is for explorers? Its probably for the best, I guess.

Kard8p3

Holy fuck this game is awesome. Been playing with Jambi a lot, and I'm definitely getting a flight stick soon. The scope of the game is retarded. Dogfighting is also wicked fun.

Hylian7

I wasn't able to even download the Beta the yesterday evening. Always had an error saying that the server didn't deliver the files. This morning I was finally able to start the download.

Load related issues can sometimes take a whole lot of forms. >.< Have you contacted Frontier's support?

I don't think you really understand the problem. Basically a small percentage of players are unable to hit the "Start" or "Friends and Groups" buttons, and getting a "Cannot connect to Frontier Servers". Everyone else can get in just fine. It has consistently been this way the whole time the beta has been out. People have also tested it on differnet PCs, logged in on a "good" account and it worked, and then logged in on a "fail" account on the same machine and it did not work. It's clearly an account issue of some kind.

Hylian7

Yeah, theat's definitely not load related. :p Frontier support has to check the affected acocunts then. Can they be contacted while the forum is down? >.< Twitter maybe?

I've put in a ticket, also tweeted to their support Twitter, and plenty of other people have too.

x4kfSOR.jpg

Only 12 hours too late, but whatever, finally.

Staab

Before the Radeon supercruise issues are resolved that doesn't bode well for me playing the game completely smoothly though. >.< Most of my playtime is on the laptop and only a little on the living room gaming PC so far. Makes me think of building another midrange PC for the desk which would have to be pretty small to fit in. Or exchanging my R9 280X on the gaming PC. *Grrrr*!
I have the exact same card and experienced the supercruise thing yesterday, have they mentioned it at all as being looked at or what's the situation there ? AMD or Frontier issue ?

Raytow

I have the exact same card and experienced the supercruise thing yesterday, have they mentioned it at all as being looked at or what's the situation there ? AMD or Frontier issue ?
There is a pretty big thread in the forums, its basically amounts to Frontier blaming AMD, and AMD blaming Frontier, with the occasional we'll look into it.

JambiBum

So rumor is it you should reset you save to experience the real experience, this true?

Oh, that's only if you want to start off on a planet. I mean if you want to lose all of the progress you have made just so that you can spawn on a planet for the first time then go ahead when it releases, but that just seems silly to me.

Sarcasm

Oh, that's only if you want to start off on a planet. I mean if you want to lose all of the progress you have made just so that you can spawn on a planet for the first time then go ahead when it releases, but that just seems silly to me.

Still in a hauler -.-

Burny

Still in a hauler -.-

Than it won't make all that much of a difference. But I'd really not recommend it to anyone who has invested substantial time into the game.

It's just a convenient way to test the new starting location in the Horizons Beta, as players starting out with Horizons will now start on the ground instead of the deault station in LHS 3447. That way you can see how the game feels and works as a starting player, but won't erase your main game progress.

Sarcasm

Than it won't make all that much of a difference. But I'd really not recommend it to anyone who has invested substantial time into the game.

It's just a convenient way to test the new starting location in the Horizons Beta, as players starting out with Horizons will now start on the ground instead of the deault station in LHS 3447. That way you can see how the game feels and works as a starting player, but won't erase your main game progress.

Yea but the beta save is different than the save you used in the vanilla? I hear if you reset your save in the beta it is just the beta save.

Burny

Yea but the beta save is different than the save you used in the vanilla? I hear if you reset your save in the beta it is just the beta save.

Exactly. The Beta save is essentially a copy from your maingame's save that was made at some recent point in time. You can do with it whatever you want - including creating a new pilot - and it won't affect your maingame's save. Vice versa, any profits you make will probably not affect your maingame's save, unless they explicitely introduce that.

Burny

I hope they do another FAQ - I need to bother them with the horizontal displacement of their surface generation (which is apparently not included). It looks cool, but the surface looks completely unbelievable with only soft, rounded features when there are such rifts in the landscape. They need sharp cliffs, overhangs and ridges. The Outerra alpha does this a lot better...

This is a pretty good pdf doc detailing everything that is going to be in Horizons. Might wanna add it to the beta thread.

I'll add it!

I hope they do another FAQ - I need to bother them with the horizontal displacement of their surface generation (which is apparently not included). It looks cool, but the surface looks completely unbelievable with only soft, rounded features when there are such rifts in the landscape. They need sharp cliffs, overhangs and ridges. The Outerra alpha does this a lot better...

In a lot of areas, the terrain looks very natural and realistic, in terms of how the landscape is shaped...but in others, it DOES look like just a basic height map, rounded surfaces and all.

Kinda ruined by the texture streaming/LOD :-\ That world will look utterly fantastic once they sort that out. Beautiful, for sure.

Hylian7

ROFL, apparently the "Cannot connect to Frontier server" issue affects certain people that are active in Powerplay and eligible for their power-exclusive module. And the fix STILL hasn't gone out. Frontier still being a complete joke when it comes to this. I bet the fix still doesn't even go up today. What garbage.

I am having problems with the sense of scale. It kinda looks like a toy planet with the deformation if you get close, there is nothing to compare the size of the mountains etc.

I think the texture streaming/LOD issue is a part of this. Really hoping patches during the beta improve this a lot. It's hard to gauge the size of an object, but when it's undetailed, I think it's even more difficult.

The other part of it is just a very "real" problem when it comes to determining scale and size. Without a reference object, it's very difficult. Random but related: I recently saw Meek's Cutoff, a movie about a family traveling across the American frontier, led by an American guide. At one point water is low and they're trying to find shelter in a windy plain, and they spot a rock formation "in the distance." The guide advises them not to continue and instead try to make camp where they are, because they don't know if that's a huge rock/cliff formation that's MILES away, or a smaller rock/formation that's much closer.

Serrato

ROFL, apparently the "Cannot connect to Frontier server" issue affects certain people that are active in Powerplay and eligible for their power-exclusive module. And the fix STILL hasn't gone out. Frontier still being a complete joke when it comes to this. I bet the fix still doesn't even go up today. What garbage.

Then ask for a refund.

Burny

I doubt they can since I bought the lifetime pass. I think they need to be held accountable for this kind of shit.

Calm down a bit. When they launched yesterday, it was far past the normal work time over in GB. If they haven't singled out what the issue is, there's nothing they can do but to keep searching. And as anything with servers usually goes, they're probably looking at a dozen other issues right now.

Give them a day or two before you go mental on them. ;)

Hylian7

Calm down a bit. When they launched yesterday, it was far past the normal work time over in GB. If they haven't singled out what the issue is, there's nothing they can do but to keep searching. And as anything with servers usually goes, they're probably looking at a dozen other issues right now.

Give them a day or two before you go mental on them. ;)
It's been a day already.

And actually they have singled out the issue, as they finally responded in that huge thread on the forum about it. They said it should get fixed in an update "later today (if testing goes well)". Sounds like they have no confidence in it, but at least they are actually honest this time for once.

The thing is, if it's an issue only affecting a small number of users, that can actually make it much harder to resolve, because there are less opportunities to crosscheck or gather additional data for testing.

Good to hear that they seem to have identified or isolated the issue though.

Hylian7

Yes, and it may as well be three more days before they find and implement a fix. :p Or it may be this evening.

You can bet they aren't sitting there, twiddling thumbs to drive you up the wall.
If this shit goes on for three more days then I expect to be able to get a refund for at least the beta price. I don't care what the problem is, there is no excuse to lock me out of the product I paid for and then say "It's a beta lololol"

la_briola

I bought the game when it was in beta, so I always had beta access (I can install the 1.5 beta for example) and bought Horizons yesterday.
My issue is, that I can't seem to be able to install the 2.0 beta (also installed the ED launcher from here: http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/dx/Client-Installer.exe).

Is this normal?

Hylian7: calm down. Just ask for a refund or don't.

Yes, because you have to buy access to the season 2 betas.

Ah okay thanks, I thought old beta customers were included per default. That's fine, will play 1.5!

Uthred

When using burst lasers are you better off firing until you hit recharge or firing in, well, bursts so you never hit the recharge point?

Finally they fixed it. Christ that took too damn long.

Just for some perspective, you first noted the issue at 4 PM Central yesterday, which would make it 10 PM at their studio. Let's say it was resolved at 10 AM Central today (just a few minutes ago), which would make it 4 PM their time today.

(It's far more likely that the fix was done earlier and it spent some time in testing, too)

Fixed in far less than 24 hours, provided they got some sleep last night :) That's not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom