• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

One-Shot

Banned
So I don't understand something. If you attack the authorities or something like the missions say don't you get fined to hell so you don't make any money anyway?

"So I don't understand something. If you attack the authorities or something like the missions say don't you get fined to hell so you don't make any money anyway?"

You don't have to pay the fines.

One-Shot

Banned
"So I don't understand something. If you attack the authorities or something like the missions say don't you get fined to hell so you don't make any money anyway?"

You don't have to pay the fines.

But then you get attacked all the time by bounty hunters and authorities. Doesn't seem worth it at all.

"But then you get attacked all the time by bounty hunters and authorities. Doesn't seem worth it at all."

Those that want to play a pirate/rebel don't really have a problem with that.

JambiBum

The point is being a pirate and having the thrill of the law/players chase you. If you decide to be a pirate you go into it knowing the risks. That's part of the beauty of Elite. There's options for every type of player.

Anyone else picked a "Home" system and thought up a backstory for their CMDR?

I'm making up one for mine, gives me something to do and fleshes out the immersion a bit.

Wreav

Banned
That feel when your bounty target starts spewing rare space ecstasy!

oIisyiK.jpg

charpunk

Tried it with the Oculus DK2 last night. While moments can be amazing, not being able to really read the text and UI kinda ruined it for me. That and the "screen door" effect made things seem pixelated :(

Changing the hud to green helps with the text. It's not perfect, but it's much easier to read. I'm also using Nvidia's DSR at 2x 1080p which has helped make everything else a little sharper.

Screen door effect isn't too bad for me using the B lenses, maybe because I'm super nearsighted.

Furio53

Almost like it's a dev kit or something!
Oh is that what it is? :p
I'm kinda surprised you haven't heard about the HUD color fix..It's been hard to miss around here.. makes text readable in the DK2.
Yeah funny enough I wasn't able to find the file where you can edit it. Still tweaking with everything, but yeah I've heard the green is a bit better. I love the game, so hopefully they'll keep working on the oculus integration. It's definitely amazing in some parts. Some UI customization would be great.
What kind of performance did you get on what hardware?

I need someone to use as a benchmark to see if my system can handle it ):

I wish a demo was available.

No real performance issues outside of just some jittering as i moved my head. Mostly the things that bothered me will get better with patches. Screen door effect is what it is, so looking forward to consumer versions.

PC stats:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690

Furio53

Changing the hud to green helps with the text. It's not perfect, but it's much easier to read. I'm also using Nvidia's DSR at 2x 1080p which has helped make everything else a little sharper.

Screen door effect isn't too bad for me using the B lenses, maybe because I'm super nearsighted.

Interesting. Yeah I'll try to do the UI changes. I was trying some workarounds with custom resolution and super sampling down, but still tweaking. Maybe I should give the B lenses a shot haha :p

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I love how completely bugfuck crazy the war in Ho Hsi has become. There are players *everywhere*, it's absolute mayhem.

LeBart

I love how completely bugfuck crazy the war in Ho Hsi has become. There are players *everywhere*, it's absolute mayhem.

I'm not sure why Braben said you would barely ever meet other players. Even while that's going on, I'm like 100 ly away and some systems have dozens of players in them.

I guess the player base is bound to drop significantly in a few weeks or months, but I'm glad to see the game isn't as empty as some people feared.

HelloMeow

I think Hand Ring just became a Federation station.

Never mind. It must have been a bug. When I just undocked it wasn't hostile anymore, but now it is.

One of the reasons I want most if not all games to be on Steam, is that it makes gifting extremely easy. I bought Elite for my brother, thinking that I could just hand him over the serial key or put his email on the last transaction. But nope, the game is tied to your account. Being a Beta backer, why would Frontier allow you to buy it again? Or, at least make it damn clear when you want to buy it that you can't gift it.
Hopefully, CS can help me transfer the ownership of the game or issue a refund. The game is dope and I wanted to make a trading caravan with my bro.

Hey folks, hoping someone might be able to assist, no creative amount of googling for an answer has yet!

I bought my father an X55 Rhino for his 60th birthday, but since using it he's getting all sorts of ghost/phantom button presses, one of which resulted in him ejecting 72 tonnes of cargo into space when he didnt even have his hands on the controls.

Anyone using an X55 got any tips or experienced anything else like this?

Nymerio

Took on an assassination mission, I should have known the target would be an anaconda :|

I managed to get her down to 30% hull / 40% power plant before I had to run. I think I could've maybe gotten the kill if I focused the fsd instead of the plant as that seems to be easier to hit from different angles. Still, I don't think I did that bad considering I was in an eagle.

Time to upgrade to a viper.

Got an ASP with 16l/y range fully loaded with 124 tons. The 29 l/y upgrade is pricey (5Million Cr+). That said, I love the ASP so much more than the Type 6. The canopy on it is amazing, you have a lot of window to look out of.

My warthog and saitek pedals should be coming in Tuesday if all goes well. How is the setup for the game? Are they automatically configured or will I need to go action by action?

Got an ASP with 16l/y range fully loaded with 124 tons. The 29 l/y upgrade is pricey (5Million Cr+). That said, I love the ASP so much more than the Type 6. The canopy on it is amazing, you have a lot of window to look out of.

I'm in a type 6 about 2 million off the Asp, how does the Asp stand up in combat compared to say a Cobra or a Viper?

Sarcasm

So for the tutorial supply strike I can kill the small ships..but when I get to the big ship all it does it constantly ram me. My buddies are gone. Any tips?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
For anyone looking for a good Extraction planet to bring materials to Ho Hsi/Steiner Hub, check out the planets in G 141-21. Wealthy, Very Large Extraction stations. Ray Orbital is a Federation one. They have a massive supply of Palladium (800k) at a good price.

It's pretty far, 46 LY from Ho Hsi, but should be a nice reliable source and the stations are close to the beacon.

Whew. I had been scouring the map all day trying to find one like this.

Thinking of buying this. But i only have a xbox 360 controller to play it with (of course also a keyboard and mouse). So how playable is this with the 360 controller? I guess you still need the keyboard for stuff?

Atruvius

Thinking of buying this. But i only have a xbox 360 controller to play it with (of course also a keyboard and mouse). So how playable is this with the 360 controller? I guess you still need the keyboard for stuff?

I'm playing with controller and don't need keyboard and mouse for regular flying or combat. I only need horizontal thruster when I land (not that oftebn though) and they are mapped to Q and E. And when I search for systems in Galaxy map you need keyboard to write down the systems name. Game is playable with Advanced Controller settings enabled.

I'm playing with controller and don't need keyboard and mouse for regular flying or combat. I only need horizontal thruster when I land (not that oftebn though) and they are mapped to Q and E. And when I search for systems in Galaxy map you need keyboard to write down the systems name. Game is playable with Advanced Controller settings enabled.

Okay, sounds reasonable. Promised myself that i wouldn't buy a game that is not available on Steam (i like having all my games on one service) but i guess i will have to make an exception for this.

bj00rn_

Banned
Yeah funny enough I wasn't able to find the file where you can edit it. Still tweaking with everything, but yeah I've heard the green is a bit better. I love the game, so hopefully they'll keep working on the oculus integration. It's definitely amazing in some parts. Some UI customization would be great.

Your folder might be hidden (I usually set hidden folders to visible on my OSs). It's in:

C:\[USER]\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\FORC-FDEV-D-1002

Unsure if the folder is called "FORC-FDEV-D-1002" on your PC though

And the file to edit is called
GraphicsConfiguration.xml

Edit with "Notepad"

And change the three "Matrix" lines under:

-<GUIColour>
-<Default>
<LocalisationName>Standard</LocalisationName>

<MatrixRed> 0, 0.48, 1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 1, 0.02, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0, 1, 0 </MatrixBlue>

</Default>

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73419
http://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/

I use a blue-ish theme because green was a bit intense to me.

Okay, sounds reasonable. Promised myself that i wouldn't buy a game that is not available on Steam (i like having all my games on one service) but i guess i will have to make an exception for this.

Yeah we all did.. Although not a full substitute, remember that you can make non-Steam games appear in your Steam games list by adding them manually with the "Add Non-Steam Games to My Library" option :)

QVaLOS9.png

HelloMeow

Did you know that you can also use button combinations? I discovered it yesterday and now I can map all thrust, rotation and the other crap to the controller.

Sarcasm

I started using that bindings layout that was linked here for my KBM and its helped..wondering if I should switch to controller.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Isn't the Asp cockpit very similar to the Lakon 6 that I'm flying now? Or does it have even MORE visibility out of the seat??? o_O

GAF, usually i am not into space sim/flight games.
I played X-Rebirth but found it too confusing, but loves the old wing Commander games.
I love the setting and love the visuals and the fact that people are saying you can do anything from being a bounty hunter or exploring etc.

My question is, how friendly is the game to beginners of this genre ?
Are there tutorials, and wont i feel completely and get frustrated ?
I am on the fence on buying this game, it looks good and sound fun.

GAF, usually i am not into space sim/flight games.
I played X-Rebirth but found it too confusing, but loves the old wing Commander games.
I love the setting and love the visuals and the fact that people are saying you can do anything from being a bounty hunter or exploring etc.

My question is, how friendly is the game to beginners of this genre ?
Are there tutorials, and wont i feel completely and get frustrated ?
I am on the fence on buying this game, it looks good and sound fun.
There's not a lot of tutorials in game like you'd be expecting, but there are some tutorial videos on their website and a whole lot of them on youtube.

Bounty hunting's hilarious. I made this vid last night for some buddies which shows one way to do it vs NPCs.

http://youtu.be/R-vFC0jKXZk

Maximize it, set it to 1080p60, and crank your sound. :D

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

I'm the same, I like to have all my games on Steam.

But the game is too good to worry about what distribution service it's on.

I'll be upgrading to a Viper today folks. Hopefully then I will get into the conflict zones. I got lucky and had two slave as cargo missions at Steiner pop up which netted me almost 100k last night. Maybe some bounty hunting missions and then on to my upgrade.

Dubz

So you recommend the advanced settings then? I am having a hard time with them, and am using the "arcade" settings (the one without yaw). I have beaten the first few tutorials using this setting, but I'm guessing to be a good pilot I will have to suck it up and learn to fly with advanced settings.

Lime

One of the reasons I want most if not all games to be on Steam, is that it makes gifting extremely easy. I bought Elite for my brother, thinking that I could just hand him over the serial key or put his email on the last transaction. But nope, the game is tied to your account. Being a Beta backer, why would Frontier allow you to buy it again? Or, at least make it damn clear when you want to buy it that you can't gift it.
Hopefully, CS can help me transfer the ownership of the game or issue a refund. The game is dope and I wanted to make a trading caravan with my bro.

My brother did the same for me. I now use his account until support has fixed it. It's pretty outdated and cumbersome.

Danj

I finally figured out how to upgrade my hyperdrive to one that sucks less and goes further. So now I'm just kinda wandering through various systems, making a trade here and there, in the vague general direction towards Sol. Not that I have a permit to go to Sol, how do you get one of those anyway? I wasn't a Beta backer (couldn't afford it) so I didn't get a free one.

Nymerio

Great, the game just ate 130k worth of bounties. I was turning them in, the screen said loading, then they were gone I didn't get the cash :(

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I finally figured out how to upgrade my hyperdrive to one that sucks less and goes further. So now I'm just kinda wandering through various systems, making a trade here and there, in the vague general direction towards Sol. Not that I have a permit to go to Sol, how do you get one of those anyway? I wasn't a Beta backer (couldn't afford it) so I didn't get a free one.

Do missions for Federation aligned corporations and then eventually you'll get offered Rank Progression missions from the Federation Navy, get to Midshipman rank with the Federation and they'll offer you the permit at a Federation station.

Lime

I think this game is way too time-consuming for me with little to no reward. I love the experience, but I'm afraid it'll take too much time away from me once the Christmas vacation is over tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom