• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elminage Gothic |OT| - I cast magic missile at the darkness!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You have to pay every time you want to look at the map?

WTF.

That's a deal breaker for me. I'm constantly looking at maps in dungeon crawlers.

The game seemed like it would have been really fun too... oh well. $8 down the drain. At least Wasteland comes out tomorrow.

Briarios

Thanks for the topic! I most certainly would have missed this otherwise. Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land is one of my top PS2 games -- hopefully, this compares favorably. And, it's on sale right now w/ soundtrack? Man, how could I pass that up.

vocab

This may be a silly question, but does anyone know the correct pronunciation of Elminage?

elmy-nahj

Loudest sound volume generates an audio crackle for me. It's really damn loud, but it also just sounds wrong period. The game is just very loud in general =/

Not liking the roll system. The numbers are all over the place. 6-10, then 18 then 20 then 25 then 30, then 40 what the fuck?

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Just got back in the country so this is the first I'm seeing of this.

Nice OT. Don't think we've ever had one for one of our releases :)

While I would offer to answer any questions experience from the beta suggests that there are probably going to be quite a few more qualified than me to help if you have any gameplay related questions :)

Not liking the roll system. The numbers are all over the place. 6-10, then 18 then 20 then 25 then 30, then 40 what the fuck?
That's ehhh... pretty standard for the Wizardry titles.

It doesn't matter too much, as you level up the stats will reflect your race & class (which means they will go up or down). Regardless, expect to do a lot of re-rolling if you're trying to min-max.

KiTA

WTF.

That's a deal breaker for me. I'm constantly looking at maps in dungeon crawlers.

The game seemed like it would have been really fun too... oh well. $8 down the drain. At least Wasteland comes out tomorrow.

Relax. It's only early on. There's a reusable / repairable map apparently in one of the early dungeons.

KiTA

Woo hoo. Found my first typo! :)

霊体攻撃 , the Cleric (among others) special ability. It's not "Lightning Physical Attack," it's "Holy Physical Attack" or "Soul Strike" or something like that.

霊 ("Rei," Spirit) 体 ("Karada," Body) 攻撃 ("Kougeki," Attack or Strike).

That one was fixed in the Elminage Original patch back in the day, and is on my old list of translation bugs in the original release.

I had originally figured out the logic behind how that typo came about in Elminage Original's localization, but it's been a long time. IIRC, the word or kanji for lightning and holy are similar or somesuch?

The sound options are kinda fucked up, it's like Loud, Slightly less loud, Still fucking loud, No sound. Had to adjust sound settings for the program specifically. Also windowed mode takes a fairly weird resolution? 1680*952, for some reason. There's a bunch of space at the top and bottom, even though the fullscreen is the usualy 1050 vertical so not sure what's up with that.

vocab

The sound options are kinda fucked up, it's like Loud, Slightly less loud, Still fucking loud, No sound. Had to adjust sound settings for the program specifically. Also windowed mode takes a fairly weird resolution? 1982*952, for some reason. There's a bunch of space at the top and bottom, even though the fullscreen is the usualy 1050 vertical so not sure what's up with that.

Ya, I made a thread on the steam forums about it, and someone made something about the res issue too.

I'm level 2 wooo.

I'm still unsure about the inventory system. I'm not sure how many things I can hold, and what does X/O mean in the shop when buying stuff?

KiTA

Ya, I made a thread on the steam forums about it, and someone made something about the res issue too.

I'm level 2 wooo.

I'm still unsure about the inventory system. I'm not sure how many things I can hold, and what does X/O mean in the shop when buying stuff?

X - Your current selected character cannot use this item
O - Your current selected character can use this item.

KiTA

The sound options are kinda fucked up, it's like Loud, Slightly less loud, Still fucking loud, No sound. Had to adjust sound settings for the program specifically. Also windowed mode takes a fairly weird resolution? 1680*952, for some reason. There's a bunch of space at the top and bottom, even though the fullscreen is the usualy 1050 vertical so not sure what's up with that.

I believe it's using the native PSP resolution scaled up via integer. When fullscreen, you'll notice some bars on the side as the aspect ratio isn't exactly right.

I don't mind either. I do wish I could control the game with my 360 controller while it wasn't in focus, like I can in FF14. That would be fun, as I could grind while watching Youtube or something. ;)

I don't have a laptop currently (I will tomorrow), so I jumped on my girlfriend's laptops and bought it on Steam. Wanted the discount and digital goods. I'm pretty sure this game doesn't need anything beefy and any old toaster will run it. Plus I wanted to support this very badly. I want Ghostlight to keep doing these kind of localisations.

Either way I'm excited to play it when I get my laptop back.

So still on char creation, I tried checking the japanese wiki but can't find the info, what do stats do? I assume they're straightforward, so strength is melee damage, int is mage spell damage, piety cleric spell damage/healing, agi is dodge/accuracy(does it affect ranged weapon damage too?), vit is hp and luck is well the usual. But are there side bonuses, especially on agi or str like carrying capacity, resistant to status or whatever? I rolled 30 bonus stat on my mage and well maxing int and vit seems obvious but what do I do with the rest, agi, luck, piety maybe?

KiTA

So still on char creation, I tried checking the japanese wiki but can't find the info, what do stats do? I assume they're straightforward, so strength is melee damage, int is mage spell damage, piety cleric spell damage/healing, agi is dodge/accuracy(does it affect ranged weapon damage too?), vit is hp and luck is well the usual. But are there side bonuses, especially on agi or str like carrying capacity, resistant to status or whatever? I rolled 30 bonus stat on my mage and well maxing int and vit seems obvious but what do I do with the rest, agi, luck, piety maybe?

It's pretty much straight forward. Max Int and Vit, and toss the rest into Agi or Luck. I don't remember if they have secondaries like "increases your base resistances" but I do not believe they do.

KiTA

EX Skills have stalled my character creation, heh.

Some are easy: The character that will be a Lord will get Brace (survive with 1 HP once per fight).

My Summoner will get Spirit Pact so I can abuse the reincarnation system, probably Divination while they're a Bishop. Shaman will get their exclusive EX, Oracle (XP / GP values after fights are changed somehow) or perhaps High Magic Source (?? their barrier ability is increased??) and Thief will either get Mysterious Bag (if you run out of inventory space, you automatically send new stuff back to town) or Find Treasure (so random fights will have treasure chests again).

If Swallow Killer was passive like in the expansion, That would be a no brainer for my Samurai or Brawler. As it stands, it doesn't sound near as useful.

I'm going to try Master Therton on a throwaway Summoner real quick -- it almost sounds like Master Therton causes your entire party to be replaced by your entire host of summons, or you summon some stupidly powerful monster, or something, but I don't quite get it. It might be fun although I think

Thief will probably get Pass-along Theft so I don't have to worry about inventory space as much, although Find Treasure or Mysterious Bag is probably important.

I have the EX Skills, minus the monster EX Skills, up on the Data Spreadsheet. I'm going to do class info next but first I want to get some actual play in. ;)

Seda

I'm not really building certain classes, just going with the flow with basic strategies (physicals in front, range and mage in back)

yolo

Meh, spent like 1h30 making characters, then when I exit to world map the game crashes(so it didn't save). Guess I'll be remaking them then, at least I roughly know what I'm going with now.

Shizuka

While I would offer to answer any questions experience from the beta suggests that there are probably going to be quite a few more qualified than me to help if you have any gameplay related questions :)

Let's hope this is only the first of many DRPGs in the future from Ghostlight.

Damaniel

Banned

WTF.

It's not that big of a deal. They only cost 10 gold each (which is a pittance, even early on) -- the real limiting factor is the number you can carry (one inventory slot = 9 maps). I bring two stacks with me whenever I descend into the dungeon, and usually find and identify at least a couple more from chests I find during the trip.

Thanks for the class breakdown, Kita; I now know what to avoid for complementary reasons (at least early on).

It's not that big of a deal. They only cost 10 gold each (which is a pittance, even early on) -- the real limiting factor is the number you can carry (one inventory slot = 9 maps). I bring two stacks with me whenever I descend into the dungeon, and usually find and identify at least a couple more from chests I find during the trip.

Yeah, I'm treating them like Warp Wires and other such redundancy-favoring consumables in other DCs. "Have and not need it rather than need it and not have it."

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright started a new game for the full release.

Front row: Dragon Fighter | Dragon Brawler | Dwarf Valkyrie
Back Row: Hotlet Bard | Dwarf Cleric | Elf Alchemist

So far, so good.

KiTA

Untranslated bit: IF you use Master Theron... The monster's name is in Japanese. I didn't have a chance to read it because it was at that exact moment that the blue slime decided to show off his mad kung-fu skills and instantly kill that character.

Also, ... I'm seeing odd little corruption in character portraits, backgrounds, etc. Is anyone else seeing that or do I need to go see about replacing my video card before the GPU Ram fails entirely?

Oh well apparently the game doesn't agree with my PC, I keep crashing. Not too sure what's the issue, but basically crashes after 10-15mins so makes it hard to play at all.

KiTA

Hm, you can turn on Anti Aliasing in the configuration file.

Edit: Any reason to keep Star Fragments?

Meh, spent like 1h30 making characters, then when I exit to world map the game crashes(so it didn't save). Guess I'll be remaking them then, at least I roughly know what I'm going with now.

That's why I always save after creating each character, but I had to learn that lesson the hard way over the years.

Seems the game doesn't like DS3 tool for gamepad support, switching to keyboard seemed to fix the crashes. Should probably get to install the wrapper already instead of using this garbage but eh, it was simple to setup.

KiTA

I've hit that wonderful point where I can take just one character -- my Brawler, to be specific -- and solo the first dungeon. The last fight is a bit hairy but as long as I kill the Demonic Chihuahuas before they get onto me, I'm good. The turning point was using Alchemy to add +4 HP a turn Regen onto my Brawler's weapon, although I really really wish I had did it to his cloak so I could do this with other characters too.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What should I be doing with the ore I find? I don't see any difference between them when I go to enhance weapons and armor... They all seem to have the same effect.

Should I just use it all to upgrade?

KiTA

Some of the items you can transmog with are nice. Bone Slippers, for example, teleports your corpses back to town if you party wipe. No idea if the item is destroyed.

Edit2: Oh duh, I'm silly. They moved the level down to the other corner. I was thinking of Wizardry for the PS3.

Edit: Hahaha, they added sidequests you can only get if you're a Bishop. You go to church and listen to confessions. BATTLEPOPE.

KiTA

Probably a good stopping point for the night. I unlocked the next dungeon (Dezaporlia Tunnel) but there's a locked door right at the entrance. I'm guessing I have to unlock a different way in elsewhere or something. I can't figure it out right yet.

I did Event 3, helping the
Devilkin Kid
with his locket. That was nice.
DIdn't expect a 3 year old Devilkin Ninja with weird bonuses to join me.

My current Party setup is:

KiTA, L7 Human Samurai. I ditched Brawler until later, I want the teleport spells that Mage/Samurai unlocks. Dear god, I want the teleport spell so bad.

Daija, L8 Dragonewt Fighter Innocent. Slowly raising stats. I'll switch him to Lord once his stats work out.

Xython, L8 Werebeast Fighter Innocent. His HP is abysmal, my Bishop had more HP until recently.

All three of the front rank guys have +4 / 5 regeneration capes on. They out-regen all the damage they get so far, even against the boss of the first dungeon, who respawns if you take a step away and back. (Great XP -- no items.)

Baewan, L10 Elf Bishop Innocent. The IDing thing is nice, but Bishop was such a mistake. Too slow, not enough cure spells. The regen gear is helping tide me over for now.

Jorana, L10 Dwarf Alchemist Innocent. She doesn't do much other than forge gear. Her whip... whips things? She has quite a bit of good magic, just so far I haven't had need of good magic.

Adelae, L11 Hotlet Thief Innocent. She has a bow, and is slowly, oh so slowly, geting to level 26 and the high mastery abilities -- including disarm and pickpocket.

So, anyone know how to get past that locked door? ;)

Apparently without Divination you don't get Ores in dungeons? Or is it just that they're less common?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm not happy...I miss pressed.
29 points and I press O(using DS4) and re-roll...so used to have O as accept :(

lol welcome to elminage. pretty much anyone who has played the game re-rolled a good number by accident. :D

Thanks do hope you guys like it!

Btw where should folks send support related mails to? Use the stuff in the steam browser? Or do you guys have a specific contact page for that?

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
lol welcome to elminage. pretty much anyone who has played the game re-rolled a good number by accident. :D

Thanks do hope you guys like it!

Btw where should folks send support related mails to? Use the stuff in the steam browser? Or do you guys have a specific contact page for that?

Support mails are best sent to support@ghostlight.uk.com

Ideally we'd like a full description of the problem (the more details the better) and a Dxdiag.

Working on my party right now.

So far I have:

Front: Samurai Valkyrie (Empty)
Back: Mage Cleric Hunter

The mage is going to be an alchemist later.
Not sure what I want my last front line to be.
I debating Brawler or Fighter that becomes a Ninja much later.

I also debating if I might want a thief instead of the hunter.

Exodist

The main thing bugging me so far in this game is this level up system. I know it is fairly random but is there also any way to manipulate it? I levelled one of my Fighters and I kept getting stuff like -str, -agi, +pie and then like 1HP all the time. Took me probably 20 reloads to finally get something decent like 15HP and +agi and -int. It seemed that everytime I tried again it was based around the same stats, like I never got an improvement to str but I got a reduction a few times, and it mostly seemed based in int, pie and agi. Any reason for this?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Question about extra skills, if I were making a summoner, do I have to take on Spirit Pact or Master Therion as extra skills or will I get these skills when I level up?

Niahak

Working on my party right now.
The mage is going to be an alchemist later.
Not sure what I want my last front line to be.
I debating Brawler or Fighter that becomes a Ninja much later.

I also debating if I might want a thief instead of the hunter.

I have a dragon Brawler in my front and she's been my biggest damage dealer by far in the first hour (20+ damage, often twice). Valkyrie hasn't been coming even close.

Hunter probably wasn't a great choice for my third front-line, but I wanted Bishop, Mage and Alchemist in back.

I came so close to having a Dwarf Samurai to start out with, but I stupidly skipped the 28 point roll.

I have a dragon Brawler in my front and she's been my biggest damage dealer by far in the first hour (20+ damage, often twice). Valkyrie hasn't been coming even close.

Hunter probably wasn't a great choice for my third front-line, but I wanted Bishop, Mage and Alchemist in back.

I came so close to having a Dwarf Samurai to start out with, but I stupidly skipped the 28 point roll.

Maybe I'll try the Dragon Brawler then. Don't have a Dragon in my party yet anyway.

My Samurai mishap was worse where I made a 29 point roll Samurai but forgot to save after. Had to roll again to get a 27 point roll Samurai.

Getting this after work today, and I'm truly stoked. Loving the videos I've seen on youtube.

Dorarnae is a beast at this game, just saying.

Top Bottom