• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elminage Original |OT| - The Priestess of Darkness and The Ring of Gods

Couldn't find a new thread but Ghostlight is bringing Elminage out in Europe and they have announced a limited physical collectors edition for it too! This is awesome news for me as I never got around to picking it up. Hopefully I can get a EU import now.

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/elminage-original-comes-to-europe

They have announced a potential limited edition

Ghostlight said:
So, is there going to be a boxed Collector’s Edition, I hear you ask? Well, it’s not been decided yet but rumour has it that there might be a special promotional version in the works. If it goes ahead, stock of the Special Edition will be very limited indeed and the game will not be released in a standard version, so it’ll certainly be one for all you fanatical collectors out there.

cj_iwakura

Definitely thread worthy when it gets announced. So who in the UK wants to help me get it? :p I may be tempted, I love that game's art.

Soulhouf

Back to Elminage!

Man, it hurts when you come back after several months and you find yourself completely lost.

In Parthenes, there are 2 elemental who tell me to flip some taro cards. They are talking about the Bard's taro right? What am I supposed to do exactly? I tried every card (and died many times because of that) but it doesn't seem to work.

I'm completely clueless and disoriented in this game.

cj_iwakura

Back to Elminage!

Man, it hurts when you come back after several months and you find yourself completely lost.

In Parthenes, there are 2 elemental who tell me to flip some taro cards. They are talking about the Bard's taro right? What am I supposed to do exactly? I tried every card (and died many times because of that) but it doesn't seem to work.

I'm completely clueless and disoriented in this game.

It means the tarot cards on the walls. Half of them apply to fire and open his path, the other half to water.

Raggie

So how much of a difference does the patch do to Elminage? The reviews seem to be really down on the game because of the localization. It seems like Ghostlight will re-release the game with the latest patch but is not going to make further changes to the game.

cj_iwakura

So how much of a difference does the patch do to Elminage? The reviews seem to be really down on the game because of the localization. It seems like Ghostlight will re-release the game with the latest patch but is not going to make further changes to the game.

All the localization bugs were gameplay based. The core script is good, and the patch fixed, oh. 95% of the text issues.

Soulhouf

Holy shit. One of my characters lost one level and his max HP went from 213 to 51.
It took me a very long time to reach that and I didn't save since more than 2 hours so a reset is out of question.

Evil game design is evil.

It's nice to see games still do this kind of things nowadays.

Dwayne

Ghostlight posted more details on the Collectors Edition this morning, though there site is down now so I can't quote it directly.

wireless gaming uk said:
UMD with colour label
Black and white manual
5 collector’s colour art cards
92-page softback colour Art Book, featuring all monster artwork and corresponding stats
Certificate of authenticity
PSN download code version of the game that can be shared with a friend.
The Limited Edition is limited to just 300 copies and will be released simultaneously with the the PSN version in mid-August.

They also said the cover was the Japanese cover, and the certificate has the limited number printed on it.
Sounds pretty decent, though odd that the manual is black and white.

Soulhouf

I beat it, finally!
It was a very cool experience. The game has many strengths such as the gameplay, the total freedom, party and characters creation and the very attractive monster design. I also enjoyed how punishing the game was and it has some cool features like rescuing your party if they fall in battle. I so wish Etrian Odyssey IV had that.
On the flaw side, the biggest issue of the western version is its very bad amateur localization. It's almost an insult to the potential buyers.
Also the game lacks some finishing touch and it's not very polished. The interface is clunky and suffers some slow down.

Other than that, it's a great Wizardry and I hope 2 will be localized somehow because it's so much better from what I played.

Alright, now I'm ready for Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Dwayne

elminage_glam_shot_blog-15-8-2013.jpg

Well I’m happy to tell you that we’re expecting pre-orders for Elminage to open next Thursday afternoon when we will also be able to announce the price and release date for this excellent dungeon crawler.

They're holding off the price right up until it's for sale? Worrisome.

Picked mine up at one on the dot. Site was chugging quite a bit though, was making me nervous. All those F5's I guess.

Very cheap price for what you're getting.

I started creating my first party last night, but I figured I'd ask here before I make any stupid newbie mistakes.

I figured out the alignment and gender restrictions for each class, but what are the minimum stat requirements for the advanced classes? In Wizardry you usually need very specific stats if you want to change class to e.g. Lord, Samurai, or Ninja. I'm going to focus on using base classes in the beginning since they level up faster.

Soulhouf

I started creating my first party last night, but I figured I'd ask here before I make any stupid newbie mistakes.

I figured out the alignment and gender restrictions for each class, but what are the minimum stat requirements for the advanced classes? In Wizardry you usually need very specific stats if you want to change class to e.g. Lord, Samurai, or Ninja. I'm going to focus on using base classes in the beginning since they level up faster.

It's very similar to Wizardry in that regard.
I don't recommend to hire an advanced class immediately. Instead, pick up some basic ones and change them to advanced later when they meet the required stats.

Soulhouf

Do you know how stringent the requirements are? I don't want to have my plans ruined by missing two points of luck.

You should be able to see how much of a stat you need for that class if you are still lacking some points.
Don't worry about stats since you can reach the requirement pretty easily and they are never very high.

I managed to make a party and fight some random battles. I did alright and once I discovered that my gear wasn't equipped I did even better. Next question: How do I use alchemy? I have the ingredients, but I can't find an alchemy menu.

Edit: I found something called an alchemist's workshop. I suppose that's it.

cj_iwakura

I managed to make a party and fight some random battles. I did alright and once I discovered that my gear wasn't equipped I did even better. Next question: How do I use alchemy? I have the ingredients, but I can't find an alchemy menu.

Edit: I found something called an alchemist's workshop. I suppose that's it.

Alchemic gear can break the game with minimal effort. Enjoy.

Finally started playing this tonight and despite some of the weird English, it's amazing so far. I can't believe I waited so long to boot this up.

Going to comb this thread
and Gamefaqs
for general tips and advice as I build up my team.

My team right now is:
Human Fighter
Elf Cleric
Gnome Alchemist
Human Thief
Hotlet Mage
Dragonewt Hunter

I'm only in the introductory dungeon so far.
Part of why I waited so long to start was that I was worried the initial difficulty would be at Dark Spire levels. The game is actually a lot less formidable to jump into than I feared.

cj_iwakura

The game gets daunting really fast once it opens up. I lost my data, sadly, so I'll probably start from scratch on the Vita.

The game gets daunting really fast once it opens up. I lost my data, sadly, so I'll probably start from scratch on the Vita.

Yeah everything opened up and all confidence I had has been dashed mercilessly haha
I've mapped a significant portion of the first forest dungeon now.
Sucks about your data loss, man.

This game is awesome
I'll be returning to it once I'm done with Demon Gaze

let me guess: ufo isn't planning to bring the other games to psn?

and how do you like demon gaze? completely missed it. doesn't look too hot.

cj_iwakura

let me guess: ufo isn't planning to bring the other games to psn?

and how do you like demon gaze? completely missed it. doesn't look too hot.

I'm an outlier here, but Elminage is much better.

More variety, better art, music... but also more obtuse. Thin Dark Spire VS Etrian Odyssey.

oh wow. but just PC? i hopefully not. from their page:

Ghostlight_Ross @Ghostlight_Rossfrom Twitter27m

@RollyKahn @ghostlightgames We might look into other versions but no news on that at the moment as it depends on a few things.

about Demon Gaze: guess i'll just wait for a price drop.

Shizuka

No one's gonna notice though. Also, what if they fixed the localization? I doubt it, but it's possible...

I don't think it'll reach more people than it already has. It's probably gonna sell four copies to the same people that bought the PSP release.

cj_iwakura

I don't think it'll reach more people than it already has. It's probably gonna sell four copies to the same people that bought the PSP release.

Probably right... but at very least I'd like to fix up the OP. (I did see at least one person at another board say they were picking up this version who hadn't played the PSP one, for what it's worth.)

Shizuka

Probably right... but at very least I'd like to fix up the OP. (I did see at least one person at another board say they were picking up this version who hadn't played the PSP one, for what it's worth.)

Hoping I can get a review code, even if I've never heard of this company before. If not, well... I just wish it was cheaper, wasn't the PSP version cheaper at launch?

cj_iwakura

Hoping I can get a review code, even if I've never heard of this company before. If not, well... I just wish it was cheaper, wasn't the PSP version cheaper at launch?

Yep, $14.99. This is an enhanced verison though, thanks to KiTA:

KiTA said:
According to Japanese Wikipedia, the 3DS version of Elminage Original has some superficial changes (they added custom portraits) and some significant balance changes. Maybe Brawlers won't be one man creator deity destroying machines.

3DS version of EO came out in December so this was a fairly quick localization. There was a PC version in January last year.

There's been some activity towards fan localizations of Elminage 2 and 3, as well as the Elminage Gothic's 3DS expansion.

Edit: Here's the JP Wiki's changelog for the 3DS version:

http://spoiler.sakura.ne.jp/srv/el1psp/DSE78988E3818BE38289E381AEE5A489E69BB4E782B9.html

I'll do a quick translation shortly.

Edit2:

System:
* Custom Portrait system added. (IIRC this was in the PSP version but was dummied out for the US release?)
* Balance changes: (Apparently the same as Elminage 2 for the PSP)
* * Summoned Monsters who are Lords who could use 法院保護区 (Forget what this is called, it's the Lord class special skill) no longer can. No more replacing Lords with just a high powered summon.
* * Dispel Evil (Cleric Ability) is now "globalized?," and you get XP for doing it now (previously, they gave no XP). Possibly Clerics now hit all rows with it instead of just the front row?
* * Ninjas now get "Alert" which is a passive that both prevents ambushes AND causes the Ninja to start battle hidden. Enemy Ninjas get this too.
* * Some change to Tarot Drawing for Bards -- 1% chance of them working in event / boss fights? (Nerf?)
* * The Maid's Tea skill will now fully restore Tarot uses, whereas before it would only restore a single use.
* Alchemy is not changed, although now you get +2% to status effects and defense per increase (previously 1%)
* Tiomente (? One of the Tier 7 mage spells) no longer prevents random battles.
* The game now keeps track of your characters renames?
* Some races had their names changed (not sure if this will affect the English version)
* * Hobbits were renamed Hortotto (Renamed due to copyright, same name they used in recent Wizardry games)
* * Mind Flayers were renamed Mind Trappers (Copyright again, heads changed from octopus to squid)
* The hidden bosses got some subtle buffs. (Holy crap, he was damn near impossible before)
* Something about taking a dead NPC to a doppelganger to get them added in the illustration book? Not sure.
* * "Doppel" is registered if you fight with a summoned monster.
* You can get married in the Forgotten Ground after beating the Dukes. (Bonus bosses, but not THE bonus boss)

Story:
* No change. No additional events.

Items:
* No new items
* Monster Stolen Items (Tentacles, "Strike," etc) now have graphics

Edit3:

Without any changes, the advice from the PSP version remains.

Thieves are great for stealing things, especially monster equips.
Brawlers are OP as hell, with huge damage + the ability to debuff enemy resistances.
Devilkin can equip cursed gear, including the monster equips... which are all brawler gear.

(Use a Devilkin Brawler, is what I'm saying.)

Summons are also pretty awesome, although I don't remember if turning Summons into party members is a thing in Elminage 1.

My party is probably going to look something like

Brawler, Samurai, Lord
Thief, Summoner, Bishop (although Summoner + Bishop will also know all magics due to class changes)

Although there's a lot of tossup there -- Valkyries are great, Maids are fun, Hunters are good, and Shamans are neato, and Ninja is also really good.

In the PSP version, the only way I beat the final bonus boss was my Brawler (or Ninja?) getting a lucky behead.

Top Bottom