• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Good E3 for Wii U, owning both Wii U and 3DS beneficial in the future.

serplux

I pulled that number from Wikipedia, and with a bit more investigating I'm not sure how they came to it.

They source an official Nintendo PR from a year earlier where it had sold 5.84 million. So 8.18 million a year later is definitely believable, but I'd like to see the receipts.

From Nintendo's fiscal results briefing back on January 31:

inTeh6kQXfZKy.png

This game was canned on the Wii U.

Yup. Nostalgia is the best marketing :p

I wouldn't put it down solely as nostalgia although of course that is a big part. It's more that people know these games to be good, and in the case of parents, safe for their kids to play.

I wouldn't put it down solely as nostalgia although of course that is a big part. It's more that people know these games to be good, and in the case of parents, safe for their kids to play.
Nah I think it has less to do with nostalgia or parents buying it for their kid, even though those are probably factors. Mario Bros/ Super Mario Bros. is one of, if not, the most widely known videogames of all time. Even those who don't play videogames are at least a little familiar with SMB. Which is why the NSMB sold so well when non ganers were already on board with Wii Sports or Brain Training.

Nah I think it has less to do with nostalgia or parents buying it for their kid, even though those are probably factors. Mario Bros/ Super Mario Bros. is one of, if not, the most widely known videogames of all time. Even those who don't play videogames are at least a little familiar with SMB. Which is why the NSMB sold so well when non ganers were already on board with Wii Sports or Brain Training.

Yes, I touched on this in my earlier comment. Brand recognition. 'Super Mario Bros.' holds much more weight than 'Super Mario ______ '.

FyreWulff

I wonder what it is about the New Super Mario Bros. series that allows it to sell better than the 3D Marios.

2D mario always sells more and it's because it's easier to play and more accessible. You lose people with each layer of complexity you add to a game, even if it's "platform side-to-side" -> "platform in three dimensions"

There's a sales chart floating around

7JBRwEG.jpg

SmokeMaxX

It doesn't hurt that the Mario Bros games are actually good. Sonic can sell on nostalgia too, but not to the same degree...

If the question is "Why do 2D Marios sell more than 3D Marios?" I think the answer has to do with the fact that you can play the former with a D-pad and 2 buttons.

Why does she sound like she works for Nintendo PR?

Edit: Sorry for the bump, misread the date and wanted to reply in context to the new Emily Rogers thread.

Top Bottom