• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Good E3 for Wii U, owning both Wii U and 3DS beneficial in the future.

And yet this same lineup was on the Wii yet sold a whole lot more, and will be on the 3DS.

Know what moved the Wii? Wii Sports and the Wiimote. Without these two things the rest of the Wii lineup would have sold just as well as it did on the GC. The Wiimote was the game changer and the Wii U lacks a gamechanger. It's not a game, it's not a lineup, it's a new input method, something to differentiate and revolutionize gaming. Nintendo thought the gamepad was that and they were wrong.

This is why even with a good software lineup the Wii U is still in trouble. It's why many are expecting it to sell Gamecube like numbers. The lineup will be similar (though it may receive less third party support) and it too will lack that one game changer.

Idk check npd for that month.

You made the claim so shouldn't you back that up with some kind of data? Isn't the responsibility on the person making a claim to support it?

If I say 'many people bought a PS3 for God of War 3' isn't it my responsibility to support that claim?

Know what moved the Wii? Wii Sports and the Wiimote. Without these two things the rest of the Wii lineup would have sold just as well as it did on the GC. The Wiimote was the game changer and the Wii U lacks a gamechanger. It's not a game, it's not a lineup, it's a new input method, something to differentiate and revolutionize gaming. Nintendo thought the gamepad was that and they were wrong.

This is why even with a good software lineup the Wii U is still in trouble. It's why many are expecting it to sell Gamecube like numbers. The lineup will be similar (though it may receive less third party support) and it too will lack that one game changer.

It has more to do with the fact that they failed to properly educate consumers on what exactly the difference was between the Wii and Wii U. It has been a marketing disaster. The Wii U may never be "first place" (because the entire gaming industry is in for a very rude awakening in the next two years), but Nintendo's goal is to make a profit and sell systems, and right now that should be their goal.

This "quality lineup" is the same lineup they had on the gamecube, which only resulted in 20 million consoles sold.
There are games like Wii Fit U that could expand that audience quite a bit if marketed properly. Nintendo's franchises are also generally stronger than they were during the GameCube era.

I feel like she's just now hearing about SSB 3ds and Wiiu versions and thought that it was supposed to be some kind of top secret.

Why would she have sources on that? It's probably a top secret project that only a few at even Nintendo Japan know about, let alone Nintendo of America. I bet Reggie hasn't even seen it yet.

-MB-

Brawl did 2.7 million in it's opening month in 2008, wii did 721k that month, up 289k from the month before.

It has more to do with the fact that they failed to properly educate consumers on what exactly the difference was between the Wii and Wii U. It has been a marketing disaster. The Wii U may never be "first place" (because the entire gaming industry is in for a very rude awakening in the next two years), but Nintendo's goal is to make a profit and sell systems, and right now that should be their goal.

I agree it's been a marketing nightmare. I actually really like the gamepad and see it's potential. Unlike the Wii with the Wiimote (GOD I hated both of these) the Wii U and gamepad has the potential to be my favorite Nintendo home console since the SNES but that's strictly for their virtual console games, some indies, and ofcourse their first party lineup.

I am quite bearish on Nintendo being able to relaunch this system and help educate the gamepad to the public in a manner that would excite them with the gamepad.

Brawl did 2.7 million in it's opening month in 2008, wiiu did 721k that month, up 289k from the month before.

THANK YOU for that data. That is more impressive than I thought. Do you happen to have the same data for SSB launch on the Wii?

While I do not disagree that Wii U gamepad will not catch on like the Wiimote, I have to wonder how many people extolling the way the Wiimote flipped the industry on its head were saying at the Wii's launch that it was going to win the generation.

No it didn't. Only mario kart sold more. Everything else was about the same as GC versions.

Brawl sold 10 million compared to Melee's 7
SMG sold 10 million (SMG2 6 million) compared to Sunshine's 5
LoZ:TP sold 10 million compared to WW's 5 (and the GC TP's 1.2)

So no, most of them sold much better, unless we're going to act like multimillion differences aren't big deals anymore

-MB-

I agree it's been a marketing nightmare. I actually really like the gamepad and see it's potential. Unlike the Wii with the Wiimote (GOD I hated both of these) the Wii U and gamepad has the potential to be my favorite Nintendo home console since the SNES but that's strictly for their virtual console games, some indies, and ofcourse their first party lineup.

I am quite bearish on Nintendo being able to relaunch this system and help educate the gamepad to the public in a manner that would excite them with the gamepad.

THANK YOU for that data. That is more impressive than I thought. Do you happen to have the same data for SSB launch on the Wii?

LOL oops, used to typing wiiu now :p

Neiteio

The Wiimote's appeal was definitely more apparent from the start. Controlling stuff with actual motion seemed like something out of sci-fi (to the average consumer, I mean). Even before the nunchuk was announced, people were already fantasizing about a proper lightsaber duel utilizing 1:1 motion control. So even if we didn't quite get such games, for the most part, I suspect most could at least see how the potential would turn heads.

The WiiU GamePad, on the other hand, is much harder to explain, let alone understand.

DaBoss

Well I checked SSBM sales in Japan the other day since Chris said the GC had nearly 2 million software sold since it was released in Japan some time in September. Melee was released in November and sold nearly 1 million before the end of the year. It also had a ratio of almost 1, which is incredible for a game. I definitely would call Super Smash Bros a system seller.

I got a Wii when Super Smash Bros Brawl came out lol.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Brawl sold 10 million compared to Melee's 7
SMG sold 10 million (SMG2 6 million) compared to Sunshine's 5

So no, most of them sold much better, unless we're going to act like multimillion differences aren't big deals anymore

Where on earth did you read twilight princess sold 10million. I find that incredulous.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think it is absolutely fair to say that at this point Wii U software is not going to sell as much or be as powerful as the Wii generation.

But it strikes me as unfair to extrapolate from that statement that all Nintendo first party software is going to revert to 2001 and that Nintendo created zero mindshare last generation that could help Wii U software to some extent.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Well I checked SSBM sales in Japan the other day since Chris said the GC had nearly 2 million software sold since it was released in Japan some time in September. Melee was released in November and sold nearly 1 million before the end of the year. It also had a ratio of almost 1, which is incredible for a game. I definitely would call Super Smash Bros a system seller.

I got a Wii when Super Smash Bros Brawl came out lol.
No, it's not.

AniHawk

slow down turbo. the wind waker sold between 4-5m, but tp sold waaaay closer to about 4-5m on the wii itself. the 1.3m the gc version did is accurate though. overall it did about 6m worldwide. that puts it in the upper-status of zelda games, but it still didn't beat ocarina.

Zelda Informer claims 8 million but it's using fake numbers.

Like, it expressly says at the beginning that they know the numbers are fake but they are going to extrapolate off them, anyway.

I think it is absolutely fair to say that at this point Wii U software is not going to sell as much or be as powerful as the Wii generation.

But it strikes me as unfair to extrapolate from that statement that all Nintendo first party software is going to revert to 2001 and that Nintendo created zero mindshare last generation that could help Wii U software to some extent.

I have a feeling we will get a pretty good idea of where the Wii U will be heading by the end of this year. Would it be fair to take how many consoles they sell this year and try and extrapolate that for a 4-5 year total? Obviously things can change but I don't see how they can change significantly without a new Wiimote type of situation for Nintendo.

Thoraxes

I have a feeling we will get a pretty good idea of where the Wii U will be heading by the end of this year. Would it be fair to take how many consoles they sell this year and try and extrapolate that for a 4-5 year total? Obviously things can change but I don't see how they can change significantly with a new Wiimote type of situation for Nintendo.

I really do think it's all on their releases for the end of the year. Given what we've heard murmurings of, i'd hope they have 3-4 heavy hitting first-party titles ready.

Pyrokai

While I do not disagree that Wii U gamepad will not catch on like the Wiimote, I have to wonder how many people extolling the way the Wiimote flipped the industry on its head were saying at the Wii's launch that it was going to win the generation.

Edit: Never mind, misread your quote.

That said: Not very many I don't think

There are games like Wii Fit U that could expand that audience quite a bit if marketed properly. Nintendo's franchises are also generally stronger than they were during the GameCube era.
Except that the Wii Fit crowd has moved on. They already spent lots of money on Wii. They're not going to pay again to experience what is essentially the same thing all over again.

BD1

Banned
Do you by chance have any data to show how much hardware was sold around it's launch?

Melee sold 7 million and change units. (Source)That's 1/3 the entire GameCube install base, and the best selling game on the console. It also had at one point a phenomenal 3:4 attach rate with 'Cube. (Source) So yes, there is no doubt Melee basically kept the GCN alive its first year.

EC Talks about games

Hey, did you ever find out what Straight Right was up too besides Deus Ex?

D-e-f-

Banned
This "quality lineup" is the same lineup they had on the gamecube, which only resulted in 20 million consoles sold.

You're equating same IP with same line-up implies that the unique qualities of the actual game as well as other release context are irrelevant.

Legend speaks of an E3 destined to blow the roof off the entire industry! Nintendo has been purposely waiting ... To fulfill this ancient prophecy!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A 3DS Player for the WiiU would be awesome... as well as a shared VC library all tied to your account (instead of consoles).

Conor 419

Banned
Did Super Smash Brothers help the GC finish anywhere but third place?

Because other systems can't have system sellers right? GTA? Halo? Nope, only Nintendo, and if the overall system finishes in last place then well, it doesn't even matter how many copies it sold! Despite selling to HALF OF THE INSTALL BASE.

Jesus christ, what a post.

Where on earth did you read twilight princess sold 10million. I find that incredulous.

I am fairly certain Nintendo themselves stated Twilight Princess was very soon to become the best selling Zelda EVER.

Has Rogers commented whether being able to share purchases between the 3DS and Wii U means Nintendo are considering a proper account system for the 3DS? Even if it was just a single-account setup, the lack of any real protection behind my digital purchases is what's stopping me digitally purchasing games like Animal Crossing I really want to.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Have we got some kind of updated list of the games certain Nintendo studios are working on (by predictions based on the titles we know)?

Have yet to pick up a WiiU yet, but I'll gladly pick one up if I play A Link to the Past 2 (amongst other games) on my TV at home. Also I've never been a big Pokemon fan but now might be a good time release a compatible, or maybe even identical home version of the portable game, but HD and a few exclusive Pokemon.

Instro

Have we got some kind of updated list of the games certain Nintendo studios are working on (by predictions based on the titles we know)?

Retro and EAD Tokyo 1 are probably the only 1st party studios left who could have WiiU games to announce in the near term. NST might have something going, and Intelligent Systems as well depending on how involved they are with SMTvsFE. As far as outside of the company, Headstrong Games is working on a WiiU title, so there could be something there as they have worked with Nintendo in the past. EAD 2 is probably working on a WiiU title as well but I doubt its far along enough.

Essentially just take this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540288

And add Yoshi to Arzest, and LttP 2 to EAD 3.

You're equating same IP with same line-up implies that the unique qualities of the actual game as well as other release context are irrelevant.

Please tell me what are the unique qualities about Super Mario U, Zelda U, and Smash U that will propel their sales above the GC and Wii entries.

Top Bottom