• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

"as long as it plays Nintendo games" wont keep the company afloat forever.

It could, as long as nintendo makes more games per year than it currently does and also makes games that appeal to more people (and can be considered 'must have' games). They currently aren't doing enough, but they definitely have the resources and cash to at least make an attempt. They also have IP they can license.

Unlikely? Absolutely.

Im calling bs on this and it seems like she's just seeking attention now. NX has to be more powerful than ps4 or it'll just be a repeat of the Wii U.

Can the "Leaker is BS because they're just seeking attention" thing stop? It's not constructive at all and it's incredibly dismissive. You can literally say this about every leaker, regardless of the validity of the leak and their motivation.

If you think the rumor is BS, maybe give your reason instead of the driveby post that they're seeking attention. If you can't, why bother posting in the thread, unless you're also seeking attention?

treason

how reliable is emily rogers? only person who has been right about nintendo leaks so far has been supermetaldave64. i put emily in the same category as 10k

Jigolo

If this rumor is even true why are people thinking this is going to use one of the existing chips on the market now? The rumor specifically says it's a custom chip. If venture to say if this rumor is true, that this chip will be a 16nm chip that is based off Nvidia Tegra Parker.

Mediking

Hopefully Square Enix meant the handheld version and the console version of the new Dragon Quest game will be coming to NX....

M3d10n

The Jaguar cores on the PS4 and XB1 are junk enough for a cheap ARM to match. It's the GPU that's the problem in terms of handling ports. Even the highest end Tegra is way below the XB1 GPU in raw performance. It's also unusable on the handheld, since NVidia hasn't made a Tegra that can run on a phone batter for several years already. It's tablet and set top box only.

Hagi

Im calling bs on this and it seems like she's just seeking attention now. NX has to be more powerful than ps4 or it'll just be a repeat of the Wii U.

It could be more powerful than the PS4 and still end up like the Wii U. Having the most powerful black box isn't going to be an instant fix.

If this rumor is even true why are people thinking this is going to use one of the existing chips on the market now? The rumor specifically says it's a custom chip. If venture to say if this rumor is true, that this chip will be a 16nm chip that is based off Nvidia Tegra Parker.

If venture to say if this rumor is true, that this chip will be a 16nm chip that is based off Nvidia Tegra Parker.

based off Nvidia Tegra Parker.

Didn't you answer your own question? SoC based on existing technologies.

doemaaan

All I want is a cheap point of entry on playing Nintendo games. I am not going to pay a premium price to play only Nintendo games, and if that means being weaker than the XBO in 2017, then so be it. $300 is the ceiling on what I would pay for a Nintendo machine these days, and even then it has to have a stellar library/future library, and not force another crappy gimmick down my throat.
Exactly how I feel.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
962260.gif
Seriously. If this is true, then Nintendo may never learn. Oh well, maybe their online architecture won't be leagues behind the rest this time?
I won't hold my breath

georly

She leaked Miiverse on the 3DS & Paper Mario: Color Splash.

And although it was a pretty easy guess, she said her source said Zelda Wii U would also be on NX. Now to see if her other 2 zelda rumors pan out (voice acting and playable female character).

What?

x86 is, by any reasonable measure, the most "old and busted" ISA in common use today (unless you're counting z/Architecture as being in common usage). The ISA is ten years older than ARM and about 15 years older than PowerPC. The complexities of using such an "old and busted" architecture are why it can't compete against ARM in the low-power segment, and its dominance in higher thermal envelopes is pretty much entirely down to a combination of legacy compatibility and Intel's massive R&D budget. And current chips like Skylake only manage to get the performance they do by translating x86 into low-level RISC microcode on the fly to avoid having to implement such an "old and busted" instruction set in full.

Yes, I realize that PowerPC is much newer architecture and I am not going to call you wrong on that because you are not. But I meant "old and busted" in the sense that it is supported by nobody outside of Nintendo these days. It's not a good choice to use based on the grounds that there is no real middleware that supports it anymore and larger scale developers don't want to keep programmers on staff that can work with the hardware. That's all that I meant. I could've worded my original post better.

But yeah, x86 is much older than both PowerPC and ARM. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is passing on it because they like to keep a smaller footprint with wattage usage.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Oh lord, let Nintendo come in with another underpowered console. The negative blowback will be legendary.

NeonZ

Like mentioned before, maybe the point is getting multiplatforms from their own handheld, rather than other consoles. A super powerful hardware would be just a waste for that. They just need something that can output at a higher resolution and with other enhancements tied to that (like more ram for better textures).

bachikarn

Yeah, but in this scenario, you pay Nintendo twice.

But they are already having issues convincing people to buy their consoles. Not sure how making it almost indistinguishable from the handhelds helps. Would make it an even worse proposition than the Wii U.

MK_768

It could be more powerful than the PS4 and still end up like the Wii U. Having the most powerful black box isn't going to be an instant fix.

Go away. You have too much common sense.

Anyways, I could care less about power. I really don't care about the rumors for a system almost a year away. Things change.

Come back to me when Nintendo tells us the specs(they probably won't) or when someone opens the system up.

But they are already having issues convincing people to buy their consoles. Not sure how making it almost indistinguishable from the handhelds helps. Would make it an even worse proposition than the Wii U.

Pick your preferred form factor and run with it. Nintendo's already said as much.
If you like both, get both. Play on the train and continue at home. NX1.5 is out in 2 years. Upgrade your main TV's NX (similar to PS4K & XB1.5) and move the older one to the den. Give the old handheld to the younger child and give the older child the newer hh - accounts/games/saves/etc carry over. Or sell it. Etc.

bachikarn

As far as the OP, something just feels off about it. At the very least, something could be lost in translation. The Xbone and PS4 are not that far off, so why make a point to say it is closer to the Xbone than the PS4, especially if the architecture is different and makes comparisons difficult.

ozfunghi

Before Emily said the specs were "good" now she says Xbox ONE like,pure riddles :p

She said 3 things that are important to me:

-She was very specific to talk about "RAW POWER" compared to XBO. Not performance.
-She said it was a modern and custom chip.
-She again stressed that the raw power comparison isn't telling the whole story. Apples/Oranges.

Now, when i think about a 3+ years more modern chip on XBO "raw power" scale... then i'm assuming it will be much more efficient, running on a (more) modern architecture and a modern feature set. Meaning it will easily outperform the chip it is being compared to of similar "raw power".

If the NX is supposed to be the next version of both their handheld and home consoles, it probably makes more sense that they are trying to reach a much lower spec/pricepoint. I'm sure we all hope that they would spec higher and charge something relative to the PS4's current price, but I bet there are a lot of handheld only gamers in japan who wouldn't upgrade due to the high price.

Yes, this will probably destroy the chances that a lot of 3rd party home console games will come to their machine, but think of the influx of handheld franchises that will pad out the library of the machine. They can make all of their games available on a single system. This is all speculation on my part though. Seems to make sense.

Eliseo

Well, they might not be a world of difference, right?

If it's the same hardware and just upclocked because the other one can have a fan and a wall socket, it's not much of an issue, and the extra power would likely go to handling the resolution of a television.

Yeah, but in this scenario, you pay Nintendo twice.

But also in this scenario Nintendo sells more software and only develops once right?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Shield TV's GPU is doing pretty terrible. I mean, sure, it's well over a year old now and if the NX releases next year, it's safe to assume it'll use Pascal modules but ... can the jump be this big? From being beaten badly by a Surface Pro 4 tablet to equal the XBO in performance?

I kind of took that comparison as a paper statement instead of necessarily real world performance.

I mean the OP even says "Even that might be stretching it a tiny bit."

I'm not imagining something that actually runs something like Assassin's Creed Unity, as opposed to something that runs Dynasty Warriors 9 while being above the Wii U.

But also in this scenario Nintendo sells more software and only develops once right?

Yeah. I'm envisioning a system that's set up to make their burden as small as possible as opposed to being ideal for third parties or necessarily the consumer.

They've expressed a desire to build one game for both a handheld and a console multiple times if we go back in their investor reports and interviews.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
no it's a 5.2x powered polaris machine that will be like three+ ps4 neos taped together and that's BEFORE nintendo even unlock the third gamecube core

i know this as a fact because i like nintendo and if you disagree you are biased against nintendo

bachikarn

Pick your preferred form factor and run with it. Nintendo's already said as much.
If you like both, get both. Play on the train and continue at home. NX1.5 is out in 2 years. Upgrade your main TV's NX (similar to PS4K & XB1.5) and move the older one to the den - accounts/games/saves/etc carry over. Or sell it. Etc.

This essentially sounds like a hybrid to me, but less elegant. And again, this isn't really going to help them sell more consoles. What your describing is basically the Super Gameboy. They would essentially be killing their console line, but let you play your handheld games on the TV.

-Horizon-

ARM will be fine from a performance perspective. Some are argueing that ARM will make it harder on 3rd parties / multiplat games.
Is that true though? Any devs here on gaf willing to talk about it?

Both are fine. Each has its advantages. However, where they are the same is that both architectures are under active development and have a place in the market.

This means that both have ancillary support through software, fabrication and design houses. This is not something that can be said of PPC (or at least the version that could be used in a home console).
So that's good then? I mean it sounds good. Its still being supported.

I suggest not caring until they show what it is and people get a good look at what's it running.

Next week will be "NX handheld is not using Tegra." Who knows what it will be in two weeks.
I feel like I'm slowly getting to this point. So many rumors and BS to sift through even from 'reliable' sources.

Well x86 is great because the PS4, Xbox One and PC are all based around this architecture and it would make porting games a very easy thing to do for third parties developers. ARM is also really well supported too as it is in the majority of mobile phones and tablets. The 3DS and PSP Vita use ARM CPU's as well. I really don't think ARM would be a big issue for most third parties or indie developers. All of the major engines support it.

I think X86 would be a little more preferable. But Maybe Nintendo could get away with throwing in a higher end ARM CPU.
Then I don't see a major(?) problem like some here are suggesting then with "nintendoomed" and "wii u 2.0".

CronoShot

How the hell do people go to posts like this from what was posted?

Nintendo needed, at bare minimum, 2 things to get meaningful third party support.

1. Power on par with vanilla PS4, at the very least.

2. Tools making it extremely easy and cheap for devs to port PS4, Xbox One, or PC games to NX.

The second point could still happen even with ARM (knowing Nintendo it's unlikely), but if it's not at least on par with PS4, then I don't think most third parties will bother. Because it will provide an extra hurdle to have to get around.

That said, I'm starting to suspect Nintendo does not care about western third party support in the slightest.

Teletraan1

Banned
Again, pretty much every major engine supports ARM, so it's not really a problem. If anything, Nintendo's typical audience may be what scares off western publishers,

is there an ARM processor currently in use that can scale up to performance that matches or exceeds even the anemic processors in XB1 and PS4? I would imagine that the processors in flagship phones with some beefier cooling and a clock increase would probably have the best shot but this is Nintendo we are talking about. Do you think they are going to put a flagship processor in anything. The company that can't put an ethernet port or a fucking charger in the box. Not likely.

They're literally going to release two consoles back to back that are slower than the current gen competition? That can't be right. That's insane.

Mediking

Nintendo needed, at bare minimum, 2 things to get meaningful third party support.

1. Power on par with vanilla PS4, at the very least.

2. Tools making it extremely easy and cheap for devs to port PS4, Xbox One, or PC games to NX.

The second point could still happen even with ARM (knowing Nintendo it's unlikely), but if it's not at least on par with PS4, then I don't think most third parties will bother.

That said, I'm starting to suspect Nintendo does not care about western third party support in the slightest.

Nintendo cares about western 3rd party support. They just don't wanna get in the tug of war that Microsoft and Sony are obviously in regarding western 3rd parties exclusive content and stuff.

Vena

is there an ARM processor currently in use that can scale up to performance that matches or exceeds even the anemic processors in XB1 and PS4? I would imagine that the processors in flagship phones with some beefier cooling and a clock increase would probably have the best shot but this is Nintendo we are talking about. Do you think they are going to put a flagship processor in anything. The company that can't put an ethernet port or a fucking charger in the box. Not likely.

A cheap ARM would out perform those CPUs. A flagship CPU would just be bullying.

KingBroly

Banned
Nintendo cares about western 3rd party support. They just don't wanna get in the tug of war that Microsoft and Sony are obviously in regarding western 3rd parties exclusive content and stuff.

If they did, they would start making some M-rated games to court that audience, but they don't.

And the franchises they did have in that range have ended and/or are being stripped down and moved down a couple of age brackets.

NeonZ

The point would likely be to keep a consistent stream of software among both platforms, while also still reaching people who just want a handheld or console, increasing the overall reach of their software. Yes, they'd lose part of their shared console/handheld hardware sales (people who buy both consoles and handheld), but considering how small their console market is currently, I don't think it'd be a big loss as long as the console still has proper high resolution for tv and the usual features expected of a console, like local multiplayer without needing a separate NX unit. There's also the obvious expectation that the consistent software output could increase overall sales.

A72 crushes a Jaguar.

This essentially sounds like a hybrid to me, but less elegant. And again, this isn't really going to help them sell more consoles. What your describing is basically the Super Gameboy. They would essentially be killing their console line, but let you play your handheld games on the TV.

No.
22l.jpg

They've spelled it out for you many times now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If it's a hybrid I'm fine with the lower specs as XB1 like power for a mobile device would be pretty killer.

This especially goes if I only have to buy the game once.

Champion

Unless the console has a super interesting gimmick, I'm only interested in the NX handheld.
I think I'm in the same boat at this point.
The console probably wont sell well or have much support outside of 1st party offerings regardless of the architecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom