• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediking

If they did, they would start making some M-rated games to court that audience, but they don't.

And the franchises they did have in that range have ended and/or are being stripped down and moved down a couple of age brackets.

I...well... it gets complicated.... cuz I think Nintendo's style really shines with Fire Emblem Fates and Awakening. Also think it really shines with XCX and Smash and Mario Kart and other age friendly stuff that can still appeal to a older demographic at the same time. I understand though that there's fine line between age friendly and being really for kids.

Kouriozan

I'm more inclined to believe this than the crazy rumors we got before.
Thanks Emily, I hope it'll stop the crazy expectations.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, do we know if the NX console and handheld will have two different storage mediums? Or will games just be downloaded onto them?

So in reply to the OP, I shall say this: whatever the NX's architecture is (and I do think not going for some flavor of x86 is a little foolish, that argument is basically over), if it has less than 8GB of RAM for the home console, it will get laughed out of the building.

Developers, especially larger developers, are done with RAM constraints. Nobody is going to tolerate low RAM caps anymore. It isn't necessary and if a platform has RAM issues, developers largely aren't going to bother (short of the NX somehow crushing all other competition 5-to-1, and even then...)

The software tools Nintendo develops are WAY more important than the CPU architecture

Being in on Vulkan should tell you something.

So in reply to the OP, I shall say this: whatever the NX's architecture is (and I do think not going for some flavor of x86 is a little foolish, that argument is basically over), if it has less than 8GB of RAM for the home console, it will get laughed out of the building.

Developers, especially larger developers, are done with RAM constraints. Nobody is going to tolerate low RAM caps anymore. It isn't necessary and if a platform has RAM issues, developers largely aren't going to bother (short of the NX somehow crushing all other competition 5-to-1, and even then...)

Developers are choking down on 5.5gb and (not) liking it right now. And that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Zomba13

I have no expectations for the NX. At this point, all the rumours coming out and the flip flopping between them from different sources I'm just pretty much ignoring all these leakers and people with connections to the inside.

We won't know until Nintendo say something and they wont say something for a while. At the earliest we may get snippets from E3 and the way Zelda is designed, it could clue us in to the control scheme depending on how they use the Wii U pad features (for example, if drawing/writing is a big part then we can assume the NX will have a touchpad).

It's just at this point you could read any of the billion rumours and go "sure, Nintendo could do that" because Nintendo are unpredictable. It could be a powerhouse to try and compete with the others and be future proof, it could be weak because it's also a handheld, it could only have cheap ass f2p mobile game and pachislot stuff because that does well now. We don't know with Nintendo.

KingBroly

Banned
I...well... it gets complicated.... cuz I think Nintendo's style really shines with Fire Emblem Fates and Awakening. Also think it really shines with XCX and Smash and Mario Kart and other age friendly stuff that can still appeal to a older demographic at the same time. I understand though that there's fine line between age friendly and being really for kids.

But that's really all they do. That's their bar. They don't go any higher, and as far as bars go, since that is their bar, it's a pretty low bar compared to everyone else, especially when it comes to stuff that is viewed as essential to western games, character and story.

Pokemaniac

Then what is up with this thread and the 'sayonara to 3rd parties nintendo' posts??
>.<

A lot of people's thinking on the matter is rooted in the outdated notion that different architectures would be massive roadblocks to porting (they're not unless you're crazy and go 100% assembly).

Also there's probably some overestimation of the Xbone/PS4 CPUs and underestimation of ARM CPUs mixed in there.

don't forget to put Microsoft and sony in there as well. When is the last time Microsoft made a profit off of their gaming console again?
At least microsoft and sony make hardware that consumers want. Nintendo's handheld and console business from their prior generations are in an unprecedented decline, and minecraft and clash of whatever are what kids care about nowadays

Nanashrew

Banned
They're literally going to release two consoles back to back that are slower than the current gen competition? That can't be right. That's insane.

Slower? Last I heard from LCGeek in a previous thread about the CPU is that it was noticeably improved over the other 2 systems. And they've leaked Nintendo CPUs accurately since GameCube.

EhoaVash

NX seems doomed no matter what.

If they create ps4k level console ---Why do i need a NX?, ps4/4k can do that, and has 3rd party games, also lol nintendo still making same old games. too expensive

create under power console ---lol its underpowered, this wont' get any 3rd party support. Why would I buy inferior 3rd party ports for this system? atleast its less expensive ?( worked great for x1, >.> )

create a hardware thats too different with different controller/gimmick-- wtf controller is that? I just want to play my games normally Nintendo like my ps4.

sigh, really thought E3 would end all the rumors and speculation, damn it nintendo.
can't wait for the nx handheld to be launched in march though;d

Sorry, can you expound on this? I feel like I'm missing context

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1115624

Wow Nintendo are going third party if im reading what you said here correctly

It's TreasureHunterG. Iwata personally ran over his baby puppy.

Nanashrew said:
Slower? Last I heard from LCGeek in a previous thread about the CPU is that it was noticeably improved over the other 2 systems.

I mean you're reading the results of goldfish memory here for yourself.

Malakai

As Traktor said, it's 1TFLOP at FP16 and 500GFLOPS at FP32, the latter of which is the widely used metric.

In real-world terms ... http://www.pcworld.com/article/3006...he-ipad-pro-really-isnt-as-fast-a-laptop.html

ipad_pro_3dmark_ice_storm_unlimited_overall-100628782-orig.png

ipad_pro_3dmark_ice_storm_unlimited_graphics-100628785-large.png

ipad_pro_3dmark_ice_storm_unlimited_physics-100629112-large.png

Shield TV's GPU is doing pretty terrible. I mean, sure, it's well over a year old now and if the NX releases next year, it's safe to assume it'll use Pascal modules but ... can the jump be this big? From being beaten badly by a Surface Pro 4 tablet to equal the XBO in performance?

If I can remember correctly, the Surface Pro i7 integrated graphics uses Iris Pro 6200 which is roughly equal to the Xbox One GPU performance. Also, Intel's CPU are Intel's CPU. I suspect that Intel CPU tremendously helping with the benchmarks as well.

Mediking

But that's really all they do. That's their bar. They don't go any higher, and as far as bars go, since that is their bar, it's a pretty low bar compared to everyone else, especially when it comes to stuff that is viewed as essential to western games, character and story.

I totally agree with you. But I also gotta say that there are some disappointing 3rd party games that sold pretty well that failed in character and story. Then there's some I really love like Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4. And Fire Emblem, Xenoblade Chronicles, Pokemon (lol), Zelda, and a few others do well for me in character and story. You're gonna laugh at me but what I really want from Nintendo is more games like Bayonetta 2, TMS #FE, and XCX.

Wait, Nintendo games do have good story and character. You don't have to be m rated to have these qualities. Unless you mean Western gamers want games to be rated M before they care about the story and character?

tuxfool

Banned
Then what is up with this thread and the 'sayonara to 3rd parties nintendo' posts??
>.<

It would be harder, because you're writing testing code for a different architecture with its own idiosyncrasies, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker due to computational power.

numerous sources tell me that NX is much closer to Xbox One than PlayStation 4. Even that might be stretching it a tiny bit.

Uggghh. Worst part right here. Little-to-no third party support was all but a given but that's the nail in the coffin right there assuming Emily's report is true. Very discouraging.

Nanashrew

Banned
What about GPU? CPU means nothing with a slower GPU.

We don't know what the GPU is to determine that, but CPU has been the bottleneck for the other two systems. All I wanted and expected out of this was parity and it looks like we're getting that. Nintendo needs to stay more within parity of the other systems these days.

Premature reaction but... my hype has officially deflated.

I'm sure it'll be a good console, but I honestly don't want another Wii U type fiasco. Zelda will be impressive, and it will always have Mario but I'm disgusted how they are treating their other IPs.

We cannot speak with complete certainty, but as of right now with this x86 rumor I give it a solid 86% chance of doomed
That's math

I'm leaning back toward my initial reaction that the home console might be a set top version of the handheld's hardware, and thus both are ARM or NVIDIA mobile setups.

We did just get a Chinese console announced that runs on a Tegra K1 and is getting 360/PS3 games ported to it.

You can make one for that if you want too.

This is my position since a long moment now. That's why I kept saying it might be even slower than XB1.

I'm getting a bit confused about the architecture differences here.

Is ARM as powerful or more powerful than x86?
And if so, then why did Sony and MS choose x86 over ARM?

Also, would development of ports be made more difficult with an ARM architecture?

I've always found it a bit odd these rumors have consistently pointed towards the NX being closer to the XB1 than the PS4. That seems very specific especially if you consider both home consoles fairly close to one another in terms of power.

I know I know - the PS4 has the edge, but that's something that wasn't exactly evident until we started seeing actual toe-to-toe software comparisons. I mean, what's making them say this? Are NX games rendering at a native 900p or something?

(By the way I ask this purely from curiosity, I infer nothing from this question.)

Premature reaction but... my hype has officially deflated.

I'm sure it'll be a good console, but I honestly don't want another Wii U type fiasco. Zelda will be impressive, and it will always have Mario but I'm disgusted how they are treating their other IPs.
I don't get it, Nintendo will not suddenly revived F zero or ice climber etc beacuse the console is really powerful, they will only do so if they see a market for it.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't get it, Nintendo will not suddenly revived F zero or ice climber etc beacuse the console is really powerful, they will only do so if they see a market for it.

Well, they're blind, because there's an obvious market for a Metroid game that isn't trash or looks like something the DSi spat up.

CronoShot

I've always found it a bit odd these rumors have consistently pointed towards the NX being closer to the XB1 than the PS4. That seems very specific especially if you consider both home consoles fairly close to one another in terms of power.

I know I know - the PS4 has the edge, but that's something that wasn't exactly evident until we started seeing actual toe-to-toe software comparisons. I mean, what's making them say this? Are NX games rendering at a native 900p or something?

(By the way I ask this purely from curiosity, I infer nothing from this question.)

The PS4's GPU is actually quite a bit better than the XB1's. It's not uncommon to see multiplats not only running at a lower resolution on XB1, but having more framerate issues as well. Doom being a recent example.

The CPUs are comparable though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As Traktor said, it's 1TFLOP at FP16 and 500GFLOPS at FP32, the latter of which is the widely used metric.

In real-world terms ... http://www.pcworld.com/article/3006...he-ipad-pro-really-isnt-as-fast-a-laptop.html

ipad_pro_3dmark_ice_storm_unlimited_overall-100628782-orig.png

ipad_pro_3dmark_ice_storm_unlimited_graphics-100628785-large.png

ipad_pro_3dmark_ice_storm_unlimited_physics-100629112-large.png

Shield TV's GPU is doing pretty terrible. I mean, sure, it's well over a year old now and if the NX releases next year, it's safe to assume it'll use Pascal modules but ... can the jump be this big? From being beaten badly by a Surface Pro 4 tablet to equal the XBO in performance?

Why are we talking about Nvidia's arch put in use for mobile then suddenly switch to obviously NX will use AMD Pascal desktop arch?

chadskin

If I can remember correctly, the Surface Pro i7 integrated graphics uses Iris Pro 6200 which is roughly equal to the Xbox One GPU performance. Also, Intel's CPU are Intel's CPU. I suspect that Intel CPU tremendously helping with the benchmarks as well.

The Pro i7 uses the Iris GT540 with 800GFLOPS but the Shield TV loses out to even the Core i5 model that uses the Iris GT520 with 400GFLOPS.

The Intel CPU obviously helps in the physics benchmark, hence the stark difference there but the Tegra X1 sees no land in the graphics benchmark either.

Why are we talking about Nvidia's arch put in use for mobile then suddenly switch to obviously NX will use AMD Pascal desktop arch?

I think you've got the two confused. Nvidia's new chips are based on the Pascal arch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom