• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Empire Magazine's Greatest 100 games of all time [Reader Voted]

chugen

no jet set radio?
74CArQp.gif

Hoje0308

Banned
Reader votes so list is too influenced by current games. Seems weighted by people who were like 8 when N64 games came out.

No SMB3?
GTAV over San Andreas?
Sonic in the 50s?
Twighlight Princess ahead of Link to the Past?

... planetscape torment... elite... the fuck.

I've been gaming since the NES and I still hate Sonic, never really cared for 2D Mario and thought San Andreas was the weakest of the GTA3 series. Opinions, mang.

brett2

These things are always dumb but it's an alright list I guess. I doubt most of the newer games like TLOU, Skyrim and especially GTAV will be considered top 20 material a few years from now. Red Dead Redemption might have more staying power since it's more unique but even that I don't know. It seems kind of silly to list something like Mario Kart 64 since MK8 i obviously superior in every way and there is nothing unique in the gameplay.

In reality it's pretty much impossible to compare games from entirely different eras. It should probably be broken out by at least 3: space invaders through 8 bit systems (classics), 16bit to first generation 3d systems (middle ages) and then second generation 3d to later (modern).

pastrami

One of your favorites, but not your favorite or the best game you have ever played, right?

I've been gaming for ~25 years, starting with the NES and a 486. The Last of Us is one of my favorite games of all times. I can't say that it's my favorite or the best because I don't rank my favorites. I just have a list of games that I really love. I can't rank them, I can't state definitively that any of them is the ONE favorite game. Hell, I doubt I could pare my list down to a top 10 unordered list. I always find it strange that people can say so definitively that some movie/game/book is their absolute favorite of all time. There are just too many amazing games/movies/books.

People need to get it out of their head that the only reason people could love so and so game is because they've never played any of the truly great ones, and must be ignorant of what's out there.

Honestly, I'd have to put Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons as my own #1.

Problem with lists like these is that far too many people take them far too seriously. They're mostly just opinions and if you disagree with an opinion that's fine, but don't act as if Empire have invaded your life and murdered your friends and family. It's just a list of games.

CJCW

This list is WAY too current. Like, barely any pre-3D games here. Surprised to see some decent PC representation though, lists like these tend to omit games like System Shock and Homeworld.

Lol

Edit: buy a system that will play Code Veronica!

I noticed that it's on PSNow and I'm kind of tempted...but I feel obligated to play through Zero first but I haven't touched it since my last thread update haha. I also have Last of Us Remastered to finish on my grounded run and I'm heading back to school soon with just my Vita so idk if it will happen any time soon. Sorry!

Duallusion

Hopefully everyone in this thread understands that their own number one pick would/could be scrutinized as much as this particular one. Why, because there isn't a single "best" or "most important" title you could name without slighting at the very least 20 other titles in a well established medium/art form.

Numbered "top x something" lists are always stupid and so is arguing about them.

Foffy

Banned
I think the test of time has to happen with a lot of those modern games. I think what's listed at number 1 is nothing short of still being trapped in a hype bubble.

Xpliskin

lol this list.

TLOU #1 ?

The game is good yes, but come on. It didn't exert any influence over the industry.

Saying it's better than OOT, Re4, half-life 2, ... is just non-sense.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I noticed that it's on PSNow and I'm kind of tempted...but I feel obligated to play through Zero first but I haven't touched it since my last thread update haha. I also have Last of Us Remastered to finish on my grounded run and I'm heading back to school soon with just my Vita so idk if it will happen any time soon. Sorry!

All good reasons, just promise me you will play it eventually :)

lol this list.

TLOU #1 ?

The game is good yes, but come on. It didn't exert any influence over the industry.

Saying it's better than OOT, Re4, half-life 2, ... is just non-sense.

It's only been a year, it has probably been name checked in many design documents at this point

I stopped reading at Journey #100. I'm okay with TLoU being #1. I've been gaming for the better part of 20 years and I'm not ashamed to say the last of us is my favorite of all time.

Raptor

The multiplayer is fun because of the low ammo, crafting, teamwork focused nature of it with stealth elements.

The single player is fun for the same reasons with a heavier emphasis on stealth but minus the teamwork.

I love both of these elements, and love the multiplayer for it. However, the gunplay isn't a huge part of the experience here, the hit detection might be excellent, but I don't agree that you feel the kills to the extent you're saying you do or that the headshots are anywhere near unmatched. You mention gears, that's a game I would instantly say has better headshots, hell even Mass Effect 3 has better headshots and I wouldn't say it has good gunplay.

The game excels at being a teamwork based TPS where your actions relative to your teammates matters a lot more than how you use your gun, and that's fine. But I can't agree that the gunplay is great.

This is where I think it all comes to what we find the best in gunplay, I too love ME gunplay with a vanguard, that charge + melee + shotgun is super satisfying to do and Gears well is gears, incredible headshots and shotgun kills remained king untill TLOU to me, see in TLOU the shotgun actually sends back flying without a leg or an arm the enemies, being regular enemies in this game makes it more brutal too experience also for that I think is better.

There is a clip of youtube by the amazing TEH-CJ that in a short time shows the greatness of the general gameplay of this game, a brick to the face followed by some punches and finally a super close range headshot so brutal that you can't help but laugh.

I just love so much this game god damn!

Marow

This list partly reads as a "games that became really popular and to some degree set certain standards" rather than a list of games that still hold up well. Not against me - in fact, it's a kinda solid list if that were the case - but I'd rather see it labelled as "Game Changers" rather than a top list without context (top list of what?).

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The Last of Us the greatest game of all time?

Give me a break. Christ. The funny thing is, outside number 1, the rest of the list isn't all that bad.

Hypron

Is it me or is there not a single action game (à la DMC/Bayonetta/Ninja Gaiden... Hell even God Of War isn't on there)? :(

Also a lot of my favourite games aren't on the list bar a couple (like Dark Souls, Max Payne and STALKER) so I can't relate with it.

What's really sad about this all is, what happens in 10 years when no one cares about Zelda or Mario or Metroid, and Nintendo is even more irrelevant than they are today (or buried somewhere in the Pacific)? When Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and Space Dandy 3 are in the top ten lists and people forget these precious gems of our childhoods?

What happens to all the times we spent in our times?

Nintendo will still be making Mario, Zelda, and Metroid in 10 years and by that time Call of Duty will have more entries than any of those three series.

I've been gaming for ~25 years, starting with the NES and a 486. The Last of Us is one of my favorite games of all times. I can't say that it's my favorite or the best because I don't rank my favorites. I just have a list of games that I really love. I can't rank them, I can't state definitively that any of them is the ONE favorite game. Hell, I doubt I could pare my list down to a top 10 unordered list. I always find it strange that people can say so definitively that some movie/game/book is their absolute favorite of all time. There are just too many amazing games/movies/books.

People need to get it out of their head that the only reason people could love so and so game is because they've never played any of the truly great ones, and must be ignorant of what's out there.

Ok, can you describe or explain why TLOU is one of your favorite games of all time? Because I don't see how a game with cliche story (post apocalyptic survival story we have seen many times in gaming/ other media and done much better ) and average gameplay with passable A.I (Naughty Dog got away with their scripted E3 demo) that emphasis on stealth could be the best game ever.

Where does the game innovate or push gaming in general? I'm not saying that TLOU is a bad game, but in my opinion it's highly overrated.

Is it me or is there not a single action game (à la DMC/Bayonetta/Ninja Gaiden... Hell even God Of War isn't on there)? :(

Also a lot of my favourite games aren't on the list bar a couple (like Dark Souls, Max Payne and STALKER) so I can't relate with it.

I noticed this. Also, no Mega Man, no Castlevania, no Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter or Tekken. No Ratchet and Clank...

Edit: My bad Street Fighter II is on there thankfully.

88random

This has been explained on the thread, but tbf I imagine it would be buried in the posts at this point. Empire has a global fanbase but is a British magazine/website, and FFVI was not released over here until the PS1 compilation IIRC. Most Europeans never got to play it.

Ah, makes sense I guess...

IMO Metroid Prime is above The Last Of Us in what it did for First Person Immersion that is still not equaled to this day. Its been called Gaming Citizen Kane for good reasons long before The Last of Us. This list is shit.

I would agree with this statement 100%. Metroid Prime is a perfect example of a combination of innovation + rock solid gameplay that makes a game worthy of critical praise.

As I've said before, TLOU is a good game. It's got fantastic characterization and a solid storyline, but I don't play either of those, and it's gunplay wasn't anything special. I think it deserves a spot on a top 100 list, a top 50 list, and I'd even say a top 20 list. But number 1?

Terrible list, but I didn't expect much.

Riposte

I wonder what methodology is employed when making a list like this. Probably like "Man, N64 with friends in school was so rad, let's make that the FPS ever", "Ocarina of Time OMG best game forever because people have been calling it the best game, forever", "Ah, but The Last of Us I cry evry tiem".

EDIT: Oh reader voted! lol disregard this post.

Cyrano

I wonder what methodology is employed when making a list like this. Probably like "Man, N64 with friends in school was so rad, let's make that the FPS ever", "Ocarina of Time OMG best game forever because people have been calling it the best game, forever", "Ah, but The Last of Us I cry evry tiem".
I would die laughing if this was the methodology, but I'm also a little sad that it's not.

Marcel

EDIT: Oh reader voted! lol disregard this post.

You have described the actual thought process of a reader popularity poll. Shawshank maek me and my momma cry when we watch best movie ever so inspire

Monocle

No Bayonetta means the voters don't know shit. Unsurprising.

Also, no informed person would rank Skyrim over Morrowind.

I mostly disagree.

Halo: CE (should be Halo 2 or 3), Only one Batman should be there, too many sequels and their predecessors on there in general, Star Wars: Battlefront 2 lol, Heavy Rain lol.

TaiKH92

Banned
I'm glad to see TP get recognition every once in awhile because the dungeons are fantastic.

I wish it didn't have to be on such a awful list though.

I agree that TP's dungeons are great but I find the rest of the game (especially the overworld, characters) bland and uninteresting

Mario 64 at....16. Under games like RDR and Skyrim.

You can't be serious Empire.

The historical significance of Mario 64 can't be overstated. Its influence can be seen in pretty much every 3D game that's come out since. There is no game that represents such a huge leap forward for games. There probably won't ever be again unless someone 1) invents the holodeck and 2) launches it with a game that's a brilliant execution of the new medium.

PS - Nothing against RDR and Skyrim. They're both great.

what a generic shitty list. tlou being number 1 is funny too. maybe i just expected a more "hardcore" list. im also disappointed at the lack of nocturne or any smt game.

Monocle

No Platinum Games, in general.

Vanquish, Bayonetta, and Metal Gear Rising are 3 of my favorite games of the last 10 years, easy and all would have a VERY easy spot finding a place in a top 100.
For sure. It's sad those games don't have the audiences they deserve.

On a greatest games of all time list? I love Platinum, but the only game from them that belongs on here is Wonderful 101 and maybe Bayonetta.
TW101 has way too many poorly balanced minigames. It would tie Bayonetta for Platinum's best title if its gameplay weren't so uneven. The combat and presentation are brilliant, the genre switches are not.

Metal Gear Rising is ridiculously underrated, BTW.

Just looked at list...honest question when did Call of Juarez get popular?

It's inexplicable. It's the only game there that's jarringly out of place on a voted-on list like this. I won't be able to sleep tonight because of this mystery.

Heavy Rain also sticks out but at least that game has something notable about it and I can see why it would have a large cult following

Top Bottom