• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Performance Thread | Playing NES games at 5Ghz OC, Dual GPU & 32 GB RAM

petran79

Banned
Usually most emulator benchmarks are limited to a specific emulator, eg PCSX2, Dolphin etc without the possibility to draw comparisons.

Aim of this thread is to make a comparative performance thread of your computers capabilities. One PC may be good for one emulator but have problems in another

Users who have trouble running specific games on emulators, can ask for help to see if their hardware can handle it.

Comparisons between Windows, Linux and other operatings systems
or between OpenGL, Direct3D, Vulkan etc can also be included

Usefull links:

PCSX2 testing:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-CPU-Benchmark-designed-for-PCSX2-based-on-FFX-2

Dolphin testing:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thre...dolphin-benchmark-results-updated-jun-30-2015

MAME benchmarks:
http://www.mameui.info/bench.htm

I'll post some examples.
My rig is an i7 4790K, 12 GB DDR3 1600, Nvidia GTX660 (soon to upgrade), Windows 10/Ubuntu 15.10 x64

I have also an older laptop with an i2540m 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia GT555M, Windows 7 x64

Lets begin with an old benchmark that few years ago was quite demanding:
SNES emulator:Higan Accuracy Profile

SMW2: Yoshi's Island Intro Island sequence

No problem playing SNES games on Accuracy profile, compared to 6 years ago. On laptop game struggles at 40 fps, but is perfectly playable on other profiles.
Also on my previous rig I had to overclock the i3 at 4 Ghz to reach 60 fps.

yoshisq0kc1.jpg

Nintendo64:
Mario Tennis
(Windows 10, Project64 latest 32-bit git with Angrylion 1.5 pixel accurate plugin)

I'll have to test the Linux 64-bit build to see if there is any performance difference.
Mario Tennis (EU version) runs smooth, with FPS going down to 44 fps during the various visual fx. On laptop game would be unplayable on this plugin

mariotennis93sd5.jpg

PCSX2, Windows 10
Taito Memories II - Joukan

Surprisingly those 2D emulated games can be quite demanding, even more than the latest 3D games. Probably because they rely on emulation withing an emulator.
Game is unplayable on laptop but perfectly playable on the i7.

taitofmqyk.jpg

Sakura Wars V

Another demanding game is Sakura Wars V. While VN story and dialogue has no issues, battle sequences require a multi-core CPU to play properly. On my previous dual core those scenes were unplayable.

sakura11ucw.jpg

PPSSPP x64, Windows 10

Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts

Game is unplayable on laptop and quite demanding on dual cores. But on i7 it runs fine at 100& speed
ugg21qldf.jpg

petran79

Banned
Some updates, but this time on Ubuntu 16.04 and upgrading from a GTX660 to an MSI 1080 Gaming

3x times the performance at least
Notice that Ubuntu is much better than Windows 10 in memory and swap file management, so it is less likely to bloat your OS, especially on PCSX2

Dophin emulator, latest git version from PPA

Tatsunoko vs Capcom (JP version)

settings:
OpenGL, Internal resolution 4x native (2560x2112), 8xSSAA Anti-aliasing, 16x anisotropic filtering.
Stable 60 FPS throughout the stage. I tried for fun setting the resolution at 8x native and FPS would dip to 20 FPS
Notice that with GTX660 I had to be limited to 2xSSAA and 3x native for stable framerate

tatsunokovscapcom8iy2u.jpg

Now to PCSX2 on Ubuntu. Latest git version from PPA

Soulcalibour 2 (PAL, set to Progressive Scan)

Unfortunately I could not avoid the vertical lines that are not present in the Windows version. Performance is inferior to Windows version. There you can have stable FPS at 8x internal resolution and 4x times anisotropic filtering. Anything more than that and the GPU, RAM and SWAP file will bloat. You have to adjust high either the resolution or the anisotropic filtering. Never both
On Ubuntu, stable frame rate is achieved at 6x native resolution. GTX660 was limited to 5x (Windows version). So it should be inferior in the Ubuntu version

soulcalibour26akbd.jpg

Top Bottom