• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Screenshot Thread

Nerrel

I'm really surprised at the detail in Leon's hair there.
That's a texture mod

Yep. The new pack for the UHD edition is obviously surpassing the older PC/Dolphin pack, but that hair texture is actually superior to the new mod. It looks great without seeming out of place.

In the upcoming UHD pack, you can hardly tell the difference:
HAIR3.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yep. The new pack for the UHD edition is obviously surpassing the older PC/Dolphin pack, but that hair texture is actually superior to the new mod. It looks great without seeming out of place.

In the upcoming UHD pack, you can hardly tell the difference:

Worth mentioning that the UHD pack, they're not doing character textures at all now. They did start doing that, but decided to ditch it until the end because people are really hesitant about changes so they want to save it for last so they can dedicate time to make it perfect.

Nerrel

Here's some shots of the good version of Majora's Mask (in GlideN64):
18784947482_ae10feb0fa_o.jpg

18763636936_31f9683fdc_o.jpg

18602144218_c9119aa392_o.jpg

It's an oddly beautiful game in it's awkward, polygonal way.

Worth mentioning that the UHD pack, they're not doing character textures at all now.

I'm sure they'll touch it up by the final release, but it seems that they're sticking with the original hair texture since they found the source for it. I personally think the Dolphin one looks better, even if it's not as authentic as the original source.

bomblord1

Banned
Here's some shots of the good version of Majora's Mask (in GlideN64):
18784947482_ae10feb0fa_o.jpg

18763636936_31f9683fdc_o.jpg

18602144218_c9119aa392_o.jpg

It's an oddly beautiful game in it's awkward, polygonal way.

I'm sure they'll touch it up by the final release, but it seems that they're sticking with the original hair texture since they found the source for it. I personally think the Dolphin one looks better, even if it's not as authentic as the original source.

Good version?

bomblord1

Banned
Removed the vomit indulcing bloom from Monster Hunter Tri. Looks much better without it.

kr0b.png

or0b.png

That does look a lot better. I have a feeling the bloom was added as makeshift "vaseline AA" to try to smooth out the jaggies. Prime looks great as well. If possible in the future could you post your settings (hacks, resolution, AA etc)?

heringer

That does look a lot better. I have a feeling the bloom was added as makeshift "vaseline AA" to try to smooth out the jaggies. Prime looks great as well. If possible in the future could you post your settings (hacks, resolution, AA etc)?

Right now I'm using 1440p + 8xAA and 16xAF, plus SweetFX and the bloom hack for MHTri.

I'm very impressed by Wii games in HD. A lot of them hold up extremely well.

Nerrel

Also could you please post your settings in the future?

There's nothing special in particular aside from the custom gravity suit texture I added (which is on the Dolphin forums).

I usually play everything across the board with 3x internal res with 4xAA, 16xAF and per-pixel lighting enabled- per pixel lighting often makes a big difference. D3D or OGL just depends on the game and which one runs faster. That's really it- the games look that good on their own that a simple up-res has great results. I really want to try the Ishikura build to get SSAO applied, which could push the visuals a lot further in a game like Other M especially.

bomblord1

Banned
There's nothing special in particular aside from the custom gravity suit texture I added (which is on the Dolphin forums).

I usually play everything across the board with 3x internal res with 4xAA, 16xAF and per-pixel lighting enabled- per pixel lighting often makes a big difference. D3D or OGL just depends on the game and which one runs faster. That's really it- the games look that good on their own that a simple up-res has great results. I really want to try the Ishikura build to get SSAO applied, which could push the visuals a lot further in a game like Other M especially.

I ask because other people who are looking to Emulate like to know what settings they need to use to get similar results. It's also requested in the thread rules on the first page.

Texture packs, IR, SSAO, AF, AA, and Per Pixel Lighting being at different settings make a massive difference in image quality.

Nerrel

Speaking of ambient occlusion, here's a comparison of SSAO on and off in Ishikura's newest build:
19593065976_f2d734b4d6_o.gif

It makes a pretty good difference, but it's hell on performance even at the lowest setting. Unless you're running a high end card, you won't be using this at a decent resolution.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Speaking of ambient occlusion, here's a comparison of SSAO on and off in Ishikura's newest build:
19593065976_f2d734b4d6_o.gif

It makes a pretty good difference, but it's hell on performance even at the lowest setting. Unless you're running a high end card, you won't be using this at a decent resolution.

That looks way, way, WAY better. Wow. First time I feel like I've seen the SSAO really well implemented.

Edit: With a closer look there are still some issues and bugs but still looks great.

Nerrel

SSAO stuff is amazing, it's not implimented into the nightly builds?

No, it's only in the Ishikura builds. It's so demanding that it's not really practical to use it at this point, and the settings are fairly complicated and have to be adjusted for each title to get the best results.

And yes, there are some bugs and glitches with it. In Other M, the HUD elements block the AO from being applied; there will be no shadowing around the map and health bar, and even less AO is applied in first person mode. In other games it'll cause grid like patterns on the ground or cause other little issues.

Still, it's a pretty great start and I hope it eventually gets picked up into the main builds. Neobrain seems to resent anything that doesn't increase accuracy and this enhancement is most definitely a hack, so it'll likely remain in Ishikura's build (he has depth of field working, too).

Dereck

I'm not sure where else to look, I'm looking to play co-op in any Donkey Kong game on the SNES online, PM if you're interested, thanks.

me0wish

No, it's only in the Ishikura builds. It's so demanding that it's not really practical to use it at this point, and the settings are fairly complicated and have to be adjusted for each title to get the best results.

And yes, there are some bugs and glitches with it. In Other M, the HUD elements block the AO from being applied; there will be no shadowing around the map and health bar, and even less AO is applied in first person mode. In other games it'll cause grid like patterns on the ground or cause other little issues.

Still, it's a pretty great start and I hope it eventually gets picked up into the main builds. Neobrain seems to resent anything that doesn't increase accuracy and this enhancement is most definitely a hack, so it'll likely remain in Ishikura's build (he has depth of field working, too).

Thanks for the info, seeing Mario Galaxy 2 working flawlessly on my friends laptop made me realize I have to get a new laptop. Picked one that comes with an over clocable desktop possessor for emulation, seeing more dolphin features being made in just awesome.

Nerrel

Thanks for the info, seeing Mario Galaxy 2 working flawlessly on my friends laptop made me realize I have to get a new laptop. Picked one that comes with an over clocable desktop possessor for emulation, seeing more dolphin features being made in just awesome.

Yeah, it's stunning how motivated and capable the team is after all these years. They haven't slowed down at all, and are implementing some of their biggest improvements now. They seem to have plans to implement D3D12 once its available, and Dolphin 5.0 is supposed to be just around the corner.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
gz2e01-2y1ui1.png

Tried this pretty new HD retexture with SSAO from Ishiirukas dolphin.

also using reshade that was suggested for the retexture.

bomblord1

Banned
Just a heads up not going to be doing a featured shots update this month there's only been a few pages since the last one not really enough content. Next time though.

Daedardus

Just a heads up not going to be doing a featured shots update this month there's only been a few pages since the last one not really enough content. Next time though.

Next week I have the time to rip some new Wii games and to test them out. I'll try to post many high quality screenshots here. We need some more Epic Yarn and Skyward Sword goodness in here.

DryvBy

On the complete other side of the spectrum as those dank handheld emulator shots, Dolphin + AO. It's finally happening.
17488878746_e9bfb2a374_o.png

That looks amazing. I wish they'd remaster the SNES with the GB counter-part using these graphics. That engine has held up so well.

bomblord1

Banned
Next week I have the time to rip some new Wii games and to test them out. I'll try to post many high quality screenshots here. We need some more Epic Yarn and Skyward Sword goodness in here.

I completely agree :p

I've had my free time restricted somewhat recently so I haven't been playing a ton of emulators. Also just started a non-emulator game so I haven't had a lot to put up recently.

Daedardus

That looks amazing. I wish they'd remaster the SNES with the GB counter-part using these graphics. That engine has held up so well.

Meh, I don't know. What's up with those scanlines?

I completely agree :p

I've had my free time restricted somewhat recently so I haven't been playing a ton of emulators. Also just started a non-emulator game so I haven't had a lot to put up recently.

Yeah I started playing Wind Waker Wii U instead of the Dolphin version. The improved sailing and controls are more important to me than the graphics. I've beaten it now though, so I have time to play some other games.

Resorting to imgur due to Minus never working for me anymore. On GAF anyway. Works everywhere else.

Finally got Xenosaga to calm down. It will slow down to a crawl and the voices and everything would slow down right with it. Made some of the cinematics hilarious to listen to though.

7lDXFjP.png

OnVPR00.png

hEmW1mC.png

I switched to 2x Native resolution, moved to DX11 to DX9 and moved it to 4:3 aspect ratio and now it runs silky smooth. Still looks great too

Is it possible to play that game with an xbox360 controller ? Xenoblade works well with it.

Oh yeah. I changed it to where the camera works off the left stick instead of the D-Pad. Works great. Just have to configure the nunchuck as well. I usually set shakes and such like that to L3/R3

bomblord1

Banned
Resorting to imgur due to Minus never working for me anymore. On GAF anyway. Works everywhere else.

Finally got Xenosaga to calm down. It will slow down to a crawl and the voices and everything would slow down right with it. Made some of the cinematics hilarious to listen to though.

7lDXFjP.png

OnVPR00.png

hEmW1mC.png

I switched to 2x Native resolution, moved to DX11 to DX9 and moved it to 4:3 aspect ratio and now it runs silky smooth. Still looks great too

Oh yeah. I changed it to where the camera works off the left stick instead of the D-Pad. Works great. Just have to configure the nunchuck as well. I usually set shakes and such like that to L3/R3

While the game was never going extremely slow for me except in large battles I found that CPU speedhacks reduce the games performance considerably shutting the CPU speedhacks off went from a sort of occasional slowdown to absolute 0 slowdown. Don't know what your CPU/GPU is but try turning the speedhacks to 0.

While the game was never going extremely slow for me except in large battles I found that CPU speedhacks reduce the games performance considerably shutting the CPU speedhacks off went from a sort of occasional slowdown to absolute 0 slowdown. Don't know what your CPU/GPU is but try turning the speedhacks to 0.

I'll try that thanks for the tip

I still have my Radeon 6770 and I5-2400 @ 3.9Ghz. 8GB of RAM.

Top Bottom