• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Screenshot Thread

dh4niel

Finally a game whose texture mods make it actually look better and not odd in any way. The new grass is stunning.

sx4p01-60nks5y.png

Brilliant work.

Looks amazing. Might have to give it a go myself. :)

Spladam

The DOF is from Ishiiruka's, not the original game

21383716460_f2b9ed85eb_o.png

Not trying to make an argument with you guys or anything, but: http://zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Wind_Waker

The Wind Waker is unique among cel-shaded video games for its lack of an outline around displayed objects and its usage of detailed textures. The usage of advanced effects, such as light-mapping, heat haze, and depth of field blur also set this game apart from others of its type. The heat haze was also used in Twilight Princess, and the depth-of-field blur was used in subsequent games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Wind_Waker

The Wind Waker* '​s cel-shaded art style makes use of real-time lighting and effects like depth-of-field blur, making the game feel stylistically similar to a cartoon while also setting it apart from other games in this style.

-Edit: Also, the reddit link I posted is pertaining to Dolphin 4.0-4877, not the fork.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't think it's so obvious?

Looking through some images, it actually seems more like the emulator used to have an emulation bug rendering lower res the further something is.

legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-gcn-ingame-78114.png
716464-the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-gamecube-screenshot-exchanging.png

Which might actually be appropriate behavior based on these screenshots from the actual gamecube version, where further stuff seems lower res.

The-Legend-of-Zelda-The-Wind-Waker-the-legend-of-zelda-34558882-640-480.jpg
001.jpg
483870-z_027.jpg

Maybe thats what people are referring to when they say DoF but that just seems more like a performance trick since it doesn't seem to be adding any sort of DoF blur, just rendering it at a lower quality. It is hard to tell tho because screenshots are themselves of a pretty low quality. It would be interesting to see some HDMI screenshots of GC Wind Waker through WiiU.

There's one screenshot I've seen of actual legitimate looking DoF in Wind Waker, but its from Nintendo's site for Wind Waker which makes me think it may be a bullshot and the full DoF may not be present in the final game? The IQ on it is significantly better than any of the other screenshots as well.

the_legend_of_zelda_the_wind_waker_6.jpg

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
There's one screenshot I've seen of actual legitimate looking DoF in Wind Waker, but its from Nintendo's site for Wind Waker which makes me think it may be a bullshot and the full DoF may not be present in the final game? The IQ on it is significantly better than any of the other screenshots as well.

the_legend_of_zelda_the_wind_waker_6.jpg
sounds right; I mean the GUI isn't even final

Spladam

I don't think it's so obvious?

Looking through some images, it actually seems more like the emulator used to have an emulation bug rendering lower res the further something is.

Maybe thats what people are referring to when they say DoF but that just seems more like a performance trick since it doesn't seem to be adding any sort of DoF blur, just rendering it at a lower quality. It is hard to tell tho because screenshots are themselves of a pretty low quality. It would be interesting to see some HDMI screenshots of GC Wind Waker through WiiU.

Was going to post those exact shots, as they are the only ones in google image search that show it.

Which might actually be appropriate behavior based on these screenshots from the actual gamecube version, where further stuff seems lower res.

This is what DoF is, don't know if there is a misconception here. DoF is a blurring of distant objects to contrast sharpness of near objects, and it is clearly visible in those low res screens of the GameCube version. There is no decreasing of resolution, that is DoF image effect that you are calling "low res".

3dgraphics-perspective2.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Was going to post those exact shots, as they are the only ones in google image search that show it.

This is what DoF is, don't know if there is a misconception here. DoF is a blurring of distant objects to contrast sharpness of near objects, and it is clearly visible in those low res screens of the GameCube version. There is no decreasing of resolution, that is DoF image effect that you are calling "low res".

3dgraphics-perspective2.jpg

I know what DoF is, but looking at examples like this

483870-z_027.jpg

the aliasing on the light house in the distance is actually stronger than the aliasing elsewhere, which makes me think it may just be rendering at a lower res. I know the game has a haze effect it uses but I don't know that it feels appropriate to call it DoF.

Regardless of all of this though, the DoF in the screenshots Wask was posting definitely isn't the same as the one that may be present in the game by default.

jediyoshi

I know what DoF is, but looking at examples like this

483870-z_027.jpg

the aliasing on the light house in the distance is actually stronger than the aliasing elsewhere, which makes me think it may just be rendering at a lower res. I know the game has a haze effect it uses but I don't know that it feels appropriate to call it DoF.

You've got it backwards, it's highly aliased because it's a lower resolution DoF buffer because it's less taxing when doing DoF. It's not taking the entire frame and then blurring it in post. If performance was an issue, it wouldn't have been an effect at all and everything would be in focus.

Spladam

You've got it backwards, it's highly aliased because it's a lower resolution DoF buffer because it's less taxing when doing DoF. It's not taking the entire frame and then blurring it in post. If performance was an issue, it wouldn't have been an effect at all and everything would be in focus.

I thought it was aliased because of the effect of the Game Cube's LOD on geometry in the distance, as the island in the foreground appears to be undergoing DoF without the same apparent aliasing.

solid12345

Neo Member
Hello all

I just wanted to throw this out there and share this with more members of the gaming community, i've created an easy-to-use shader pack for retroarch that simulates a variety of CRT televisions and signal qualities. This is not a simple scanline .png thrown on top of a badly upscaled image, I spent alot of hours tweaking and finding the right combination to simulate an analog look on an LCD and think this is very close to the real thing. It is a good alternative to CRT-Royale and should run faster on older hardware with no tinkering required.

Here is a sample comparison of the various filters in the pack.

fZ14aVx.jpg

You can find it at http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3998

Would love to see some screenshots from anyone who uses it!

Coreda

Hello all

I just wanted to throw this out there and share this with more members of the gaming community, i've created an easy-to-use shader pack for retroarch that simulates a variety of CRT televisions and signal qualities. This is not a simple scanline .png thrown on top of a badly upscaled image, I spent alot of hours tweaking and finding the right combination to simulate an analog look on an LCD and think this is very close to the real thing. It is a good alternative to CRT-Royale and should run faster on older hardware with no tinkering required.

fZ14aVx.jpg

Very, very nice shader pack. Someone posted it earlier in the Retro Arch OT. I may try Retro Arch after seeing these.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hello all

fZ14aVx.jpg

Excellent work dude. That looks top notch.

solid12345

Neo Member
Thanks for the complement guys, here is a lovely screenshot, Gremlins 2 comparing a raw output to an S-video filtered one

Take note of the rope in the background how it goes from a garbled mess to a nice smooth and round natural shape, It is shots like this that puts to rest the myth games were built around razorsharp square pixels, anytime someone says otherwise show them this :p

vwTxK0T.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thanks for the complement guys, here is a lovely screenshot, Gremlins 2 comparing a raw output to an S-video filtered one

Take note of the rope in the background how it goes from a garbled mess to a nice smooth and round natural shape, It is shots like this that puts to rest the myth games were built around razorsharp square pixels, anytime someone says otherwise show them this :p

vwTxK0T.jpg

You'll probably greatly appreciate these two screenshots then. The improvement is staggering.

I'd actually be really curious to see what the first screenshot looks like using your shaders.

Spladam

vwTxK0T.jpg

Impressive dude.

Hey guys, i know it's not really the place, but i didn't find the answer anywhere, so here's my question :

on the ZSNES emulator, when i try to configure the resolutions and the filter, something is weird!

I have a custom resolution, 1920x1080! And when i activate the HQ filter, the size of the screen is reduced, like this :

I tried a bunch of other configuration, but it always does the same! Any idea? thanks

Peltz

You'll probably greatly appreciate these two screenshots then. The improvement is staggering.

I'd actually be really curious to see what the first screenshot looks like using your shaders.

The alien one really drives the point home that these games look so wrong when there's no filter.

Hey guys, i know it's not really the place, but i didn't find the answer anywhere, so here's my question :

on the ZSNES emulator, when i try to configure the resolutions and the filter, something is weird!

I have a custom resolution, 1920x1080! And when i activate the HQ filter, the size of the screen is reduced, like this :

I tried a bunch of other configuration, but it always does the same! Any idea? thanks
Got it working using these settings:

Rich!

Why the fuck are you using zsnes in 2015

Do yourself a favour and use something that actually emulates SNES games properly like snes9x or bsnes/higan.

Got it working using these settings:

that's what i use, but like i said, when activating the HQ filter, the size of the screen is reduced no matter what, like my screenshot...

Why the fuck are you using zsnes in 2015

Do yourself a favour and use something that actually emulates SNES games properly like snes9x or bsnes/higan.

i alway used zsnes, and i haven't had any problem until now... every game worked fine so why change? And yeah like entrement said, nostalgia, i like the purple looks of it, haha!

I changed my PC last month and now it doesn't work anymore.... but yeah now i'm on snes9x since it doesn't work anymore with zsnes, still don't know why

thanks anyway

Rich!

ZNES is a hacky piece of shit that breaks compatibility, has inaccurate sound and graphics and does not run any game accurately in the least.

Nostalgia isn't an excuse either otherwise we would all still be using NESticle.

ZNES is a hacky piece of shit that breaks compatibility, has inaccurate sound and graphics and does not run any game accurately in the least.

Nostalgia isn't an excuse either otherwise we would all still be using NESticle.

fine but like i said i never encountered any issue with the game i played! Do you have any concrete exemple? I'm genuinely curious

Filters can be very nice, but I'll never understand emulating crt screen curvature... To be more authentic they need to chop off a few pixels worth of the image all the way around. An option for it wouldn't be too bad.

fine but like i said i never encountered any issue with the game i played! Do you have any concrete exemple? I'm genuinely curious

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/2712-why-perfect-hardware-snes-emulation-requires-a-3ghz-cpu/

This is what you're looking for.

(Edit) http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Should have linked to this one.

Aeana

Filters can be very nice, but I'll never understand emulating crt screen curvature... To be more authentic they need to chop off a few pixels worth of the image all the way around. An option for it wouldn't be too bad.
Most CRT shaders have an overscan option. I typically give it 2% overscan and curve the screen ever so slightly (less than in the above images). It is, of course, all for nostalgia's sake. If you gamed on a tiny TV or played really close, then a more extreme curvature might be pleasing. I did most of my gaming in the 90s on a 25 inch with a slight curve so that's what I like to emulate.

Timu

i alway used zsnes, and i haven't had any problem until now... every game worked fine so why change? And yeah like entrement said, nostalgia, i like the purple looks of it, haha!

I changed my PC last month and now it doesn't work anymore.... but yeah now i'm on snes9x since it doesn't work anymore with zsnes, still don't know why

thanks anyway
Some games with zsnes didn't even load for me, or certain games would freeze before I could progress any further.

Spladam

Both are very interesting articles (the first links to the second) that I've never read, thanks. I love reading about this stuff.

bsnes' accuracy in this area stems from an incredibly complex process of melting the circuits of DSP chips and scanning their surfaces with an electron microscope to determine the program code. That's dedication

I find that amazing, really awesome stuff.

Lettuce

Yeah i like the crt shader for the authentic look as i remember it when i was kid playing on my Daewoo TV.....what i don't want to recreate though it the geometry issues and the bowed border i used to get on the right hand side of the screen when i used the scart input. I know game developers always designed their games to have a small percentage of overscan and all important display info was well in these parameters but even this could help with some TV geometry issues...i just wished every game had a display option where you could shift the screen!!

mdzapeer

Most CRT shaders have an overscan option. I typically give it 2% overscan and curve the screen ever so slightly (less than in the above images). It is, of course, all for nostalgia's sake. If you gamed on a tiny TV or played really close, then a more extreme curvature might be pleasing. I did most of my gaming in the 90s on a 25 inch with a slight curve so that's what I like to emulate.

Which emulator are you using for PSone games and the Analog CRT shader pack?

w00tkins

Thank you I haven't seen good shots in quite a while lol.

These are just great how did you get those effects?

-gecko code for complete camera control
-special brawl > Clear body (Invisible)
-Spear Pillar or Frigate Orpheon
-grab a Smash Ball to get the aura around your character (or anything that involves particles)
-Strike a pose and pause
-Rotate the camera 180° so that the background is completely black

bomblord1

Banned
-gecko code for complete camera control
-special brawl > Clear body (Invisible)
-Spear Pillar or Frigate Orpheon
-grab a Smash Ball to get the aura around your character (or anything that involves particles)
-Strike a pose and pause
-Rotate the camera 180° so that the background is completely black

Pretty creative thanks for sharing

Top Bottom