• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of an era: Sony kills the Xperia Z range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony makes awesome phones, it's just that they fail at marketing and releasing the devices at the right time. They are always late, overpriced and lack features that the competition has. The Xperia x performance also has an identity crisis. It's marketed as a mid range device with mid range specs, but it's priced like a flagship.

Elitist1945

The Z3 was one of the best phones I've had. Amazing design and functionality, and front facing speakers!

Now that the Z line is done, and HTC has ditched boom sound, who's gonna have a premium phone with front speakers :( (other than the 6P I currently have).

MutFox

Banned
My wife's Z3 started acting up with corrupted display. We looked for a Z4 because the Xperia Z series is the only line on T-Mobile that has waterproofing. But Sony didn't release the Z4 to T-Mobile, so we ended up getting a Galaxy 6 with a lifeproof case.

Fuckers locked the bootloader, too, so I can't even try putting Cyanogenmod on it to try to repurpose it.

RIP Z3. You were good while you lasted.

Z3+ was pretty much the Z4.
Though the CPU had overheating issues.
(All 1st gen Snapdragon 810 supposedly had this issue)

The Z5 version supposedly doesn't have this issue.

Cerity

It's a shame, they're somewhat popular here in Aus. But it seemed they were always riddled with contract/carrier issues in the states to fully break into the market.

catmincer

What I found infuriating was I bought my z2 in Taiwan from Sony directly and got a whole bunch of stuff with it.

I was in Japan a month ago and went to Sony store but even in their export section, they don't sell unlocked phones. I was pissed cause I was gonna buy a z5p. It's just so bizarre.

Well that's disappointing. I have a Z3 and its been my favorite phone I've owned. I was planning on upgrading to another Z phone when my contract is finished but I guess I'll have to find something different.

Z3+ was pretty much the Z4.
Though the CPU had overheating issues.
(All 1st gen Snapdragon 810 supposedly had this issue)

The Z5 version supposedly doesn't have this issue.

The 810 overheating is actually solely because of design of the phones rather than the processor. The early phones with the 810 were not designed to handle the heat properly. The 810 require a heat pipe or a heads sink to function at normal speed and only later phones got that. The one plus two and the nexus 6p shows what the 810 is capable of and it's pretty great.

MutFox

Banned
The 810 overheating is actually solely because of design of the phones rather than the processor. The early phones with the 810 were not designed to handle the heat properly. The 810 require a heat pipe or a heads sink to function at normal speed and only later phones got that. The one plus two and the nexus 6p shows what the 810 is capable of and it's pretty great.

Ahhh, so pretty much 1st gen versions of phones using that processor... :p
Cause yeah, the Z5 uses the 810, thought it was just a 2nd gen version of the 810.

Good. Hopefully the X line will be less fragile. Had to replace my phone twice due to the front glass cracking and the phone turning into a brick. Shit sucks.
Battery life is fantastic though.

gnexus

I have a Z2 and I really dig it. I really liked the iPhone inspired aesthetics but without the iOS. Well, I don't know what to do now... buy the Z5 now I guess.

Shame. I knew it was coming.

Gitaroo

I think all the Q4 2015 s810 devices have their own cooling solution. Sony went with the dual heat pipe solution and ms use the liquid cooling solution from the surface for their lumia 950x. Not sure what google does but I think One plus2 keep the clock speed low in order to deal with the overheat problem. So far I am very impressed with z5p, 40 mins of 4k recording until the camera app closed. Anyone knows how others fair in 4k video recording?

GYNGA

That's very disappointing if true. I sure hope they don't abandon the premium market, Z line phones were the nicest on the market.

Good. Hopefully the X line will be less fragile. Had to replace my phone twice due to the front glass cracking and the phone turning into a brick. Shit sucks.
Battery life is fantastic though.
Hmm, I have dropped my Z3 so many times I'm surprised it still works. And there's not even a single mark of damage. I have tempered glass protection on the front though, not sure how much it helps.

Malvolio

I didn't think I'd like any phone as much as I did my Nexus 4, but my Z3 is on the way. Had some issues with Sony's waterproof claim as mine broke after being submerged, but other than that it's been amazing. My only other complaint is with T-Mobile not offering the compact. I'd certainly prefer something a bit smaller.

Walpurgis

Banned
This is a shame. I almost bought a Sony Xperia instead of the Nexus 6P two months ago. They are solid, consistent phones so it sucks that we're losing an option here. Since Samsung shit the bed, what's left, Google/Huawei and....?

Gitaroo

This is a shame. I almost bought a Sony Xperia instead of the Nexus 6P two months ago. They are solid, consistent phones so it sucks that we're losing an option here. Since Samsung shit the bed, what's left, Google/Huawei and....?

Just hope the x line up will be a new chapter in the xperia line up and Sony will handle the world wide distribution better this time around. Honestly x series still carry all of the design language from z beside metal backing. This stop ppl from making those cracking accusations. As a owner if 3 z phones, never had a problem, pure luck?

Meizu, Oppo, LG, HTC, Lenovo will all probably ramp up competitiveness in international markets in 2016.

geomon

tumblr_mmm6fv7NXH1qhbnv4o6_500.gif

YoungFa

So next my next phone should be a Z5. Too bad I really liked the sleek design. Maybe theyll keep the design for the X Series but just dumb down the quality inside.

Gitaroo

Where did you order the Dual Premium from?

I'm on checking online, but this is the only place I can find and it also says Wind isn't compatible :/

thats the one Im using, the E6883, and it works. Check Sony official white paper if you want to confirmation.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/dow...-z5-premium-dual-e6833-and-e6883-white-paper/

That price is actually pretty good, bell locked single sim model is 800 to buy out, then you got to get a sim with them and pay unlock fees, all other non sense and Bell only carry Black color. And Bell model doesn't work with Wind. I went with the chrome one.

Also try http://willmyphonework.net/

3G works fine with Wind, basically their HSPA+, I am not even sure what I would do with 2G, if that is for roaming I think they would be using Rogers anyway.

So X Performance series is the new flagship now? I'm very disappointed if it's true since except for the new SoC upgrade, I don't see any thing from X Performance that is worthy of a flagship smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom