• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of Steam Holiday Sale - The Bucket list of $2 & $5 games

Concept17

Any recommendations on 4player games? Preferably for co-op? Picking up Sanctum for sure... is Bunch of Heroes or Hoard any good?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
hamiltons-great-adventure-20110223002136336_640w.jpg

mrhammy.jpg

Hamilton's Great Adventure is.

I'm like you where time >>>> money. Games need to be judged by if they're worth the time they require to finish them. Hamilton's Great Adventure is. I just finished it last week after clocking about 6 hours in total and every new stage was great and compelling and the game doesn't have like 100+ stages just to pad it. It has 4 worlds with about 10-12 stages each, and each one adds a new twist until the end. Excellent, excellent game.

It plays like a puzzle game but with the controls and atmsophere of an indiana jones platformer.

This looks pretty cool, actually.

Anyone else have any impressions?

Got The Missing Link dlc for Deus Ex. Revenge of the Diggle Gods dlc for Dungeons of Dredmore, and The Longest Journey pack.

Overall pretty happy.

Okay, so they're not new additions to the 2011 Steam lineup like the titles listed in the OP, but both Freedom Force titles for £2.49 (under $4 in a direct conversion) is a hard deal to beat for anyone who hasn't enjoyed them before.

Also, another vote for Arx Fatalis, the spiritual successor to the Ultima Underworld games. It was always a little rough around the edges, but the pros far outweighed the cons, even at full price.

Finally, it would be nice to recommend Aquaria like some of the other guys have - it's an excellent metroidvania type game with a cool underwater vibe - but it's not currently discounted in the UK. If it's going cheap where you live, pick it up.

JoseJX

I want to put in another good word for SPAZ, it's really a great game if you're a fan of Star Control II, well worth the asking price and probably my favorite pick up from this sale.

dream

ffs, Dinner Date is horrible. I thought it would be a cool little 1 act play that touches on themes of loneliness and isolation and the human condition. Instead it's this shitty little thing where a guy eats bread, drinks wine, and does a hobo's version of a poor man's Stephen Merchant as he rambles about coworkers and food and being stood up.

Neki

ffs, Dinner Date is horrible. I thought it would be a cool little 1 act play that touches on themes of loneliness and isolation and the human condition. Instead it's this shitty little thing where a guy eats bread, drinks wine, and does a hobo's version of a poor man's Stephen Merchant as he rambles about coworkers and food and being stood up.

You...you just can't appreciate true video game art!

dream

You...you just can't appreciate true video game art!

I love art. I love emergent narratives and shit too. What I don't love is art students with a mild interest in french romanticism masturbating into a compiler and charging me money for it.

pilonv1

I didn't mind Dinner Date because it was different. Couldn't play it again though.

Try Iron Roses, it's fantastic.

dream

I didn't mind Dinner Date because it was different. Couldn't play it again though.

Try Iron Roses, it's fantastic.

I saw your recommendation and was trying to figure out if you were joking or not.

And judging by the fact that Iron Roses looks like a hidden object game, I can only assume that you were.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Inside a Star Filled Sky, Dinner Date, and Tidalis are absolutely must-play games. Each offers a kind of depth you rarely see, though in very different ways.

Seriously. If you only buy three games from this sale and have an appreciation for games with an artistic ambition, these are the ones you need to buy.

Tidalis is a straight-up puzzle game, but the basic gameplay is brilliant, and all of the variations on it make it something incredible. Probably the most underrated casual game I can think of.

krpiper

Okay, so they're not new additions to the 2011 Steam lineup like the titles listed in the OP, but both Freedom Force titles for £2.49 (under $4 in a direct conversion) is a hard deal to beat for anyone who hasn't enjoyed them before.

how ddos this run in Win 7 64 bit I heard that there was some issues with it

dream

Artistic ambition is great. I love it when people take chances in games. For example, I love the stuff Christine Love does. But that's because she has a vision that she expresses through her games. Dinner Date is literally the product of one man's digital masturbation. You don't get any insight from it. You don't enjoy the experience of playing it. It's just there. It's like the elevator music of pretentious abstract games.

Looks pert cool but it's not on Steam, trying to clean out my wallet

Do you have Gemini Rue?

I want to put in another good word for SPAZ, it's really a great game if you're a fan of Star Control II, well worth the asking price and probably my favorite pick up from this sale.

Yeah, I've been pretty addicted to this one for the past couple of days. I hear there are some pretty significant gameplay twists in later chapters, so I'm interested in seeing what those are.

Inside a Star Filled Sky, Dinner Date, and Tidalis are absolutely must-play games. Each offers a kind of depth you rarely see, though in very different ways.

What is the draw for Inside a Star Filled Sky? The concept sounds interesting but from what I've seen it looks like it could get pretty repetitive.

Artistic ambition is great. I love it when people take chances in games. For example, I love the stuff Christine Love does. But that's because she has a vision that she expresses through her games. Dinner Date is literally the product of one man's digital masturbation. You don't get any insight from it. You don't enjoy the experience of playing it. It's just there. It's like the elevator music of pretentious abstract games.

Do you have Gemini Rue?

Nope

PS why aren't we bros on Steam, add me: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197975094746

Duki

Banned
dinner date is horrible

what the hell did you just do to me pilon

you son of a bitch

i saw that reccomendation pilon

i saw it

did you laugh while making it

cackle inhumanely

you monster

Brashnir

Hmm, I know duckroll had some trouble getting it to run but he found a way to fix it. Will see if he can pop in here and give an answer.

I've tried several of the fixes posted on the net and the Steam forums, but none seem to work. Apparently this is a pretty common problem, from reading a number of posts about it.

Duki

Banned
Seconded. Even though it was only $1.25, I still feel cheated out of money.

dream just pointed out to me that it originally sold for $12.50

twelve dollars and fifty cents

for whatever the fuck that thing was

asdaskldliahfjksdhk;jwrt

how ddos this run in Win 7 64 bit I heard that there was some issues with it

I'm running on Vista, so my knowledge isn't first-hand, but from what I've read on the forums, the boxed versions of the games won't run on Win 7 and neither will the demos, but the Steam version (and, indeed, GOG) should be compatible, although it seems some people have to do a little tweaking

dream

If I had any programming ability I would make a sequel to the game starring my subconscious as I sit here in the muted afterglow of having played this garbage. There would be many fully voiced monologues that employ very colorful language.

Very colorful language.

Speevy

Banned
Fair warning, Oddworld Stranger's Wrath is not supported by Intel HD Graphics 3000.

I found that out the hard way.

This card can play Bioshock, Bulletstorm, Left 4 Dead, Dead Space 2 and many other console-to-PC ports, but not an Xbox port from last gen.

Aaron

Can you elaborate?
Sure. Don't use the steam shortcut. Instead, find the .exe and make a shortcut from that to your desktop. Go into the properties of the shortcut and click on compatibility tab. Then set it to be XP compatible. Should run fine after that.

Flunkie

Banned
I love art. I love emergent narratives and shit too. What I don't love is art students with a mild interest in french romanticism masturbating into a compiler and charging me money for it.

I fucking lol'd.

Lesson learned: Do not buy Dinner Date.

IrishNinja

great OP! some good ones there. seeing the sega ones makes me wish ToeJam & Earl made the batch, odd that it's listed in some packs but not there.

Top Bottom