• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of Steam Holiday Sale - The Bucket list of $2 & $5 games

forrest

formerly nacire
Anyone have Orcs Must Die! ? Looks like fun, but I was curious if anyone had some hands on impressions?

Sober

Okay, I'm looking at the Racing games on Steam, anyone have any impressions (since mostly all I have is Burnout: Paradise)?

-GRID (still a daily)?
-Need For Speed games (which ones to get/avoid?)?
-FUEL?
-Flatout: Carnage?

I know it's more than $5, but I've still got to recommend Skydrift at $6.69.

6614033521_2d8ea81035.jpg

6614027287_3f8f6fd654_z.jpg

It's a great mash of Mario Kart style racing with the epic style of tracks of Hydro Thunder. All this while flying. Controls are solid and arcadey and easy to get into. Has a couple of people online occasionally, but there needs to be more people playing this game.

I support this post! I managed to get into an online match with about 3-4 other players during the holiday sale and it was a lot of fun. I wish this game had a bigger community. The single player racing is still worth the price of admission though.

I do think it was a mistake to make game modes like Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch DLC. That should have been a free title update.

cj_iwakura

Played Freespace.

Want something made in the last 6 years that is similar. Why isn't ANYBODY (even indie devs) making games like these? Resource-wise, they shouldn't be that pricey to make.

As far as I know, there aren't any.

Dinner Date $1.25
ss_ec40fc40ba2fe922bb2e4cdb0403ff501585b2b9.600x338.jpg

Julian Luxemburg has prepared a dinner for two at his place – but things go awry when the date does not show up and he is left waiting at his dinner table, the clock’s ticking growing unbearably loud.

I've always been curious about this game. Does anyone have impressions?
Faerie Solitaire $1.00
ss_7ded06b7214d9d0aebe27869f9f0436ec4e99c3c.600x338.jpg

Have magical fun in the addicting Card game, Faerie Solitaire! Find and raise a Faerie pet and repopulate the magical land of Avalon using the resources found by clearing each level.

For a dollar this game is a steal. Buy it for yourself and 4 other friends. It's a lot of fun.

How's Hoard? game looks pretty neat but I don't think I've heard much on it.

Hoard is really great, especially as a multiplayer game.

Very original and fun and has more depth than it first seems with which buildings you decide to destroy or keep so that the cities generate more money. Also works great with a controller if you have one.

I mean, you get to fly around a medieval map and burn down country side. What's not to like?

Me and friends have played many hours of it. Has a nice co-op time based mode, and competitive modes. Plus it has very easy invite/party multiplayer system (something that a lot of indie games lack, sadly). It's a fantastic 'appetizer" game before you settle into something else and it is highly original. It is, without a doubt, worth the price of a coffee.

Sober

It's not that great. It gets old fast. You should be able to find a game that is more fun at that price.
It's a good time waster since most play modes end after 10 or so minutes.

Try the demo, the gameplay is pretty much all there, just not the maps or game modes.

Its better trust me on this. I never lie.

I admit I haven't played the game. I did watch the videos. It looks like a zombie shooter.

Meanwhile Renegade Ops is like controlling RV vehicles while you send in nukes and trash cities with fantastic physics. It's just plain fun to drive the vehicles around even outside of blowing everything to shrapnel.

Damn, and here I thought my wishlist was pretty well straightened out for a small order early tomorrow morning and now there's so very many things I'd totally missed----no way in hell to get so many with my limited funds so it is time to swell the list more than I'll end up shrinking it and see how the rest of 2012's Steam sales go!

PaulLFC

FEAR 3 is £4.99 over at GreenManGaming. It's Steamworks, might want to wait a bit though as their site's getting overloaded at the moment.

AcridMeat

Banned
Capsized looks alright, anyone here have it?

I was unbelievably excited for the game before it came out for some reason and I've put about an hour into it, if that says anything. The atmosphere and art is great, the game itself is pretty unrefined.

Okay, I'm looking at the Racing games on Steam, anyone have any impressions (since mostly all I have is Burnout: Paradise)?

-GRID (still a daily)?
-Need For Speed games (which ones to get/avoid?)?
-FUEL?
-Flatout: Carnage?
NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 is the one to get.

FUEL was great when I played it on 360 (so don't know how the PC version is). Huge open world to explore and plenty of races. Might lack a bit in variation after a while. If you like to just drive around and get the collectables, you will spent hours in it.

Haven't played the other two.

Great thread, thanks. But you messed up the tags on Tidalis and swapped the link and the image. It deserves better!

Tidalis $1.99
ss_4efd36feeb8d3d5cc4a9b89d794e9d69836c755b.600x338.jpg

It looks like just another match-3 game but there are a ton of special blocks and rulesets and it can be seriously sadistic. Anyone who's interested, grab the (very small) demo and go to the custom game screen and hit the random button to see how crazy things can get.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Picked up Dark Void for the 3$, the impressed turned me off, but it looks to still have its charmed.

jgminto

So what's Dinner Date like? It looks really interesting but is it much of a game or will you only play it once for 30 minutes?

So what's Dinner Date like? It looks really interesting but is it much of a game or will you only play it once for 30 minutes?

Well I don't know, but someone on my friend's list wrote this recommendation:

"If your own life isn't sucky enough, you can pay $5 to experience 20 minutes of someone elses sucky life."

Top Bottom