• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Mother 3 Patch Thread! It's go time!

Hive

Banned
verio said:
In honor of this news, I whipped up a Mother 2 avatar.

Anyone want it?

Feel free.

6zmpty.jpg

haha! That is really great~ GTA Mother Edition!

Hive

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
The thread title is infantile (a shocking surprise coming from GAF) but I can NOT wait to play this one.

that was his way of rallying the troops~

I'd rather it say: "...Thread of Thank You Nintendo For Creating This Game At All"

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Tiktaalik said:
As well the running commentary in Earthbound is funnier, and the baddies frequently do bizarre things like "size up the situation" and "inch forward."

The Clumsy Robot has my favourite bizarre battle actions.

"The Clumsy Robot applied a bandage!"
"The Clumsy Robot ate a balogna sandwich! The Clumsy Robot's HP are maxed out!"
"The Clumsy Robot lost a gear and some bolts!"
"The Clumsy Robot cleaned the area!"
"The Clumsy Robot wanted to get a battery!"

And there's the one line that absolutely never fails to make me laugh:

"The Mad Duck fell down!"

Gaimeguy said:
I'm excited :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Watch this show up on Friday

"So yeah, guys, we've actually been keeping this secret, but Nintendo contacted us and organized this fan-translation project. That's right, Nintendo helped the fans create the official translation for Mother 3!"

(yeah... right) :p

Yeah, but Nintendo hates us. :(

Twig

Banned
verio said:
In honor of this news, I whipped up a Mother 2 avatar.

Anyone want it?

Feel free.

6zmpty.jpg
Haha, I love it.

Wonder if I could Mother-ify Ludwig von Koopa over there.

*ponders*

Masked Man

I said wow
handofg0d said:
Downgrade to VBA 1.7.2 (Sourceforge has this)

Other than that, I'm not sure because I can't read to figure out HOW to save :/

You mean, in-game? Easy, I promise. Whenever the Save Frog asks セーブしておきますか。("Would you like to save your game in case something happens?"), you should probably have two options: はい (yes) and いいえ (no). Simple enough, right? ;)

Eventually, though, you will be presented with multiple options when you approach one of our amphibious friends. セーブする means "to save," so select that option when you get the choice and you will be taken directly to the save screen.

Hope that helps! :D

EDIT: If someone could Masked Man-ify my Kamina avatar, or somehow Kamina-ify a Masked Man avatar, I would love him / her forever. :D

Haunted

d+pad said:
Not quite, at least in my experience.

I have yet to boot up the untranslated Mother 3 ROM, but the FF Advance titles suffer from some wonky framerates (possibly because the emulator currently forces some level of frame skip on the player) - a problem I've never experienced when using the same emulator on my PC.

Still, I'm sure it'll be worth it :)
Hmm, I can display both PC and Wii on an HDTV, so it's really just a matter of which emulator's running more smoothly (whether I'll play this with the 360/Wiimote/CC doesn't really matter :p). I'll check out both, thanks for the heads-up. :)

sp0rsk said:
This has nothing to do with Nintendo and everything to do with Mother 3 just being simply the best RPG ever.
Damn you! If you don't stop praising Mother 3, I'm seriously going to get hyped here.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
inner-G said:
You had to hit the button, A i think, in time with a visual indicator when you attack.

I couldn't really figure it out in the import version :/

You have to listen to the music and hit the button with the rhythm of the tune. It gets especially crazy with monsters who change the tempo of the music, but if you have a good ear you shouldn't have any problems.

EDIT: I'D BE GLAD IF SOMEONE MOTHER3FIES MY AVATAR LIKE SERIOUSLY BUT DON'T FEEL PRESSURED, MMKAY?

Aeana

Regulus Tera said:
You have to listen to the music and hit the button with the rhythm of the tune. It gets especially crazy with monsters who change the tempo of the music, but if you have a good ear you shouldn't have any problems.

There is also an ability to help you figure out the beat if you need help.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Death_Born said:
FFX is kinda-sorta-maybe OK, but it's in no way the best RPG. Neither is Earthbound.

256px-Baten_Kaitos_Origins_box.jpg

De-nied!

Why would you come in a thread of love and continue to do this? This is coming from someone who loves BKO, too. Knock it off.

Masked Man

I said wow
Found an appropriate picture on Starmen.net and shamelessly set it as my avatar. Hope the creator doesn't mind. I would have preferred the Masked Man's helmet on the Kamina avatar I had, but this will do--for now. Found a new, absolutely adorable icon that I'll use for a long time. (Although if someone wants to help me out by Masked Man-ifying this particular image, I wouldn't have any objections.) ;)

Regulus Tera said:

Check this video for an idea of what the whole beat-combo system is about (though it may contain some minor character spoilers...?).

LaneDS

Amir0x said:
lol. Obama's face is covering up a familiar face from Mother 3 ;)

Mother3Claus-1.jpg

You know, I've always wondered what that was. Even before the Obama'fied version. The thing on the left looks like something out of Sonic, and if that's Lucas I sure as hell didn't recognize him.

Yay for learning.

Amir0x

Banned
LaneDS said:
You know, I've always wondered what that was. Even before the Obama'fied version. The thing on the left looks like something out of Sonic, and if that's Lucas I sure as hell didn't recognize him.

Yay for learning.

the thing that looks like it's from Sonic is just the mascot of some Japanese magazine. The cover was Mother 3, yes, and they did it in their unique style.

Tiktaalik

Regulus Tera said:
EDIT: I'D BE GLAD IF SOMEONE MOTHER3FIES MY AVATAR LIKE SERIOUSLY BUT DON'T FEEL PRESSURED, MMKAY?

I'm not sure how to "mother3ify" an avatar... I've basically avoided all Mother 3 info, so I don't know any standout things about the game. I wouldn't know how to Earthboundify an avatar either. I considered throwing a Mr.Saturn in there, but it looked even worse than this shoddy hat job.

23kpxg8.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Playing through Earthbound (again) right now. It'll be a Mother 3 marathon weekend, if the translation is out as promised.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Tiktaalik said:
I'm not sure how to "mother3ify" an avatar... I've basically avoided all Mother 3 info, so I don't know any standout things about the game. I wouldn't know how to Earthboundify an avatar either. I considered throwing a Mr.Saturn in there, but it looked even worse than this shoddy hat job.

23kpxg8.jpg

That shall suffice. Thanks! You're awesome.

inner-G

Banned
So, I just messed around with getting the GBA emulator up and running on my PSP, and I'm quite impressed. (it's called gpSP kai 32 test 07) lol, best emulator name ever.

Definitely going with that for M3.

Anyone know of any quirks/major bugs I should know about?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So, short of trying to compile my own version of VBA-M, does anyone have any recommendations for a Gameboy emulator for Linux (preferably one with a .deb package)?

Medafen is in my distribution's repositories, but is it any good?

I don't know if I should try to get this running on my PSP or buy a flash cart or whatever I need and play it on a Micro (if possible).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Please, don't ban me for that, it's a sincere question.

So, hum, is it free to openly talk about playing a ROM in this thread or will everyone act like we all bought the game a long time ago or just found a rare copy?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Alaluef said:
Please, don't ban me for that, it's a sincere question.

So, hum, is it free to openly talk about playing a ROM in this thread or will everyone act like we all bought the game a long time ago or just found a rare copy?

You probably won't be able to link to the ROM directly, but I imagine an exception will be made for discussing the game, given the history behind this particular title.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Masked Man officially has the best avatar in the thread now.

Soon, Masked Man, soon I'll be able to see what it is you love so much about Claus. :D

As for my avatar, while it's already Earthbound-related, I'll see if I can dig up something that incorporates Mother 3 elements without being spoilerish. After all, I've made it this far going largely unspoiled (basically, all I know are a number of party members and the stuff that Brawl spoiled; which is pretty major, but it's not like
Earthbound's ending didn't foreshadow it.
.)

Anyway, long-winded parantheses aside, can't wait for the patch to hit. :D :D :D

Masked Man

I said wow
Iam Canadian said:
Masked Man officially has the best avatar in the thread now.

Soon, Masked Man, soon I'll be able to see what it is you love so much about Claus. :D

Well, thank you kindly, good sir! :D Also, kudos to you for not spoiling yourself more than Brawl already made you, haha.

I think part of it is the fact that my younger brother and I look fairly alike, so I guess there's a bit of a real-life parallel between us.

Masked Man

I said wow
I have that T-shirt, handofg0d. :D Also, some more fuel to the fire:

Tim Rogers (from his MOTHER 3 Review) said:
Now, for some bad news: we have very recently heard, from a very reliable source, that this game will never be officially published in the English language. The developers themselves commissioned full English, French, Spanish, and German translations of the game for the purpose of communicating it to Nintendo of Not-Japan. It did not pass their quality examinations. According to our source, the plot was “too serious”, to a point betraying the graphic design (cartoon-like). There you have it: Nintendo, champions of the everyman, flag-bearers of the non-gamer, proponents of “change”, have paid a kill fee to a small game developer in order to guarantee that their “too serious” game with literary themes will never be published in the English language. We won’t sling mud at Nintendo; you can do that yourself. We will, instead, say that it’s probably not their fault. You’ve no doubt seen the controversy that erupted all over Fox News when it was discovered that you could gayrape alien childrenin Mass Effect with the press of a single button ; imagine what they’d say when Nintendo published a cute cartoony game that brainwashed kids into believing that Communism is a good idea. The American media is a dense and dull game of Telephone: they’d probably end up switching “Communism” for “Fascism”, and by the time a TV news story aired, Mother 3 would be a videogame about a charismatic monkey rescuing Hitler and curb-stomping Ronald Reagan.

Think of it what you will.

Owensboro

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I'm looking to get an eLink 1Gbit based off the features/prices i've seen.

I see one off Dealextreme for $25.90 and that seems like an awesome admission price to play translated Mother 3 on my GBMicro. I've ordered from them before so I'm not worried about that.

Anyone have any objections? Should I be aware of anything with the eLink? I really enjoyed that once a game is selected on it, it will directly boot into that game like a real cartridge.

Hah, thanks for the link. I just bought one. Like Borkbork, when/If mine comes in I'll let everyone on the board know. I hope these guys deliver fast, I've been waiting to play this game since it came out. I bought a cart when I was in China 2 years ago, and just couldn't play it not knowing the language. It's going to be awesome finally understanding the opening tutorial (and why the hell you are literally running into T-Rexs). I'm so freaking pumped!

Yeah, I read that yesterday. Aside from making me incredibly angry, it does make sense considering NoA's stance over the past... what?... 20years? It's not like they haven't done it before, and I'm sure they still have a bad taste in the mouth over how poorly Earthbound sold. But really, all I can say to NoA is : "Grow up."

Masked Man

I said wow
Madsucktion said:
Hah, thanks for the link. I just bought one. Like Borkbork, when/If mine comes in I'll let everyone on the board know. I hope these guys deliver fast, I've been waiting to play this game since it came out. I bought a cart when I was in China 2 years ago, and just couldn't play it not knowing the language. It's going to be awesome finally understanding the opening tutorial (and why the hell you are literally running into T-Rexs). I'm so freaking pumped!

I'm in second-year Japanese right now (after doing the first-year textbook on my own this summer, in addition to lots of fun kanji work), and I was actually able to understand all of what is said thus far, save a few words. Alec threw out something unfamiliar, and then I just stopped because I didn't want to get started to heavily because I had studying to do. But I understood it nonetheless! :D

And you're not just running into them--you're playing with them! ;) CLAUS <333

Owensboro

Masked Man said:
And you're not just running into them--you're playing with them! ;) CLAUS <333

! But they look so sad when you hit them! That is so freaking weird, and I love it even more. Of course, this also explains why
something that huge didn't tear me limb from limb when I got so close to it's baby

Top Bottom