• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Mother 3 Patch Thread! It's go time!

Davey Cakes

Giygas is just a space alien with a grudge carried over from the events of Mother 1 that eventually frustrates it to the point being the embodiment of pure evil.

Or at least, I never considered Giygas to be more than that.
Its relevance to Mother 3 doesn't extend beyond its influence of Pokey/Porky, as I see it.

gblues said:
1) Do you think that Flint is a descendant of Ness + Paula? The clues that this might be the case are the Franklin Badge that gets handed down, and the fact that Lucas looks like a blonde version of Ness.

There are multiple Franklin Badges, as seen in the original Mother.

2) In Earthbound, Giygas is described as being 'neither male or female.' You think Giygas was a Magypsy, corrupted similarly to Lucria?

3) Likewise, the Dark Dragon and Giygas are spoken about in similar terms; if Giygas wasn't a Magypsy, perhaps it was an activated Dark Dragon bound to an evil heart (Pokey/Porky?)

The person that says that is just some random man in Threed, right? But the original Mother also goes into his origin - he's not a Magypsy and he didn't start out as a supernatural force.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Rash said:
Giygas is just a space alien with a grudge carried over from the events of Mother 1 that eventually frustrates it to the point being the embodiment of pure evil.

Or at least, I never considered Giygas to be more than that.
Its relevance to Mother 3 doesn't extend beyond its influence of Pokey/Porky, as I see it.
I still say the final area of mother 3 looks like the final area of Earthbound, suggesting Mother 3 takes place in a future version of the lost underworld, a somewhat logical place to escape from what ever destroyed the world between Mother 2 and 3, and why that is where Porky got suck, since it is in the same Geographical location as his final appearance in Mother 2

Teknoman said:
Sorry for the month bump, but will they ever reprint the fanguide for Mother 3?

I hope so. I still regret not buying it. I figured I would wait until I had time to play the game and then I found out only the online version was available.

IrishNinja

Drkirby said:
I still say the final area of mother 3 looks like the final area of Earthbound, suggesting Mother 3 takes place in a future version of the lost underworld, a somewhat logical place to escape from what ever destroyed the world between Mother 2 and 3, and why that is where Porky got suck, since it is in the same Geographical location as his final appearance in Mother 2

was there ever any more detail/speculation on what caused the end? i recall a bit from the tall guy, but not much concrete.

that custom cart looks nice, great job on that. on that note: having beaten 2 & 3, what can you guys tell me about 1? ive had it on emulator forever but never really given it a go, and since then the only thing ive heard about it here on GAF is that its brutal. worth the effort for more of Itoi's world, or would you pass & replay 2/3?

Mother is a good game and absolutely worth the effort. It's kind of hard to get into, but I think it helps to play with a controller and do whatever you can to make the experience as authentic-feeling as possible.

It's not brutally hard like some people have said, but it is harder than the other two.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
LTTP, but I finally got myself to finish (and start) this game.

Boy, was it a slow start; the introduction takes waaaaaaaay too long.

The story IMO is just a little worse than the story on Earthbound, there's A LOT of loose ties at the end (IMO the end kind of sucked).

I love the creators sense of humor "hey, I've got good and bad news to you" :lol :lol .

There's one story twist at the end that really got me (because most of the plot twists where very predictable), the last Tranny's identity :lol .

I've heard a lot of you that nearly cried with this game, none of that happened to me, I got much more connected with the story of the original Earthbound (Mother 1 doesn't exist =P) than with this, because I felt that the ending part was a little rushed.

The difficulty of the game is not much... I mean, it's harder than your average RPG, but once you get some PK powers you learn quickly to play this; this is the kind of game where your status powers are useful, and bosses aren't immune to everything. So for the experienced RPG player, it will be easy, but for the casual RPG player it will be difficult (in the way that you don't win the game by pressing the A button repeatedly without seeing the screen...

Very good game, my second favorite GBA RPG, I recommend everyone playing this; just endure the slow beginning.

Salsa

So, does the issue of out-of-synch audio (for battle combos) still persists if i want to play the game on a PSP ? Thinking its time to replay this again.

Emitan

SalsaShark said:
So, does the issue of out-of-synch audio (for battle combos) still persists if i want to play the game on a PSP ? Thinking its time to replay this again.
My PSP's emulator is probably way out of date and I had some issues with it. But it was pretty close and by now I'm sure if they made any effort into it it should be fixed.

Jasoco

Banned
I can't play emulators on touch screens in most cases. You can't hold B to run and press A to jump in Mario on a touch-screen. You need a fucking physical button. Unless the emulator has some settings like "Auto B" or something so you always run (Which I do anyway)

But I guess for games where you never really need to press two buttons at once, it would be fine. I'd love to jailbreak my iPod touch just to play this game on the go. Eventually you'd get used to the button placement.

The real question is there a GBA emulator for the iPhone that can play Mother 3?

kai3345

Banned
Jasoco said:
I can't play emulators on touch screens in most cases. You can't hold B to run and press A to jump in Mario on a touch-screen. You need a fucking physical button. Unless the emulator has some settings like "Auto B" or something so you always run (Which I do anyway)

But I guess for games where you never really need to press two buttons at once, it would be fine. I'd love to jailbreak my iPod touch just to play this game on the go. Eventually you'd get used to the button placement.

The real question is there a GBA emulator for the iPhone that can play Mother 3?
There was. gpsphone. I played FF6 GBA while on the plane to germany on it, and a friend of mine played Mother 3 on his. He never told me if there were any issues or anything like that though.

But last I looked on Cydia it wasn't there.

peakish

fnmore1 said:
Crap. Have the first two been translated as well? And can I get the ROMs somewhere?
The second has an official US release (don't think PAL though?), Earthbound. Not gonna touch the ROM bit.

Snaku

Banned
ivysaur12 said:

Honestly, if there's one game that should get a pass on the no ROM talk rule, it's Earthbound. Given NoA's complete disdain for the series, and dead refusal to release the game on the Virtual Console, I'd say it's about as public domain as you can get.

Jasoco

Banned
I still wouldn't touch it. Especially since it's not that hard to find anything on the internet. Literally anything and everything.

Question regarding the rhythm-based attacks: how necessary are they as the game goes on? I'm finding it impossible to do them consistently due to emulation's inability to always run at full speed (the issues seem to be stemming from audio slowdown mostly, I can't tell if the actual game speed is being effected). Or, what's the trick to improving performance with Visual Boy Advance on OSX?

Aeana

Jimmy Stav said:
Question regarding the rhythm-based attacks: how necessary are they as the game goes on? I'm finding it impossible to do them consistently due to emulation's inability to always run at full speed (the issues seem to be stemming from audio slowdown mostly, I can't tell if the actual game speed is being effected). Or, what's the trick to improving performance with Visual Boy Advance on OSX?
Unfortunately, the rhythm system is off on all emulators. Mednafen with the sound buffer option turned down all the way is the best result I've seen. There's. GS code that makes them easier. As for how necessary they are... I would say they're significant but you can beat it without them.

Aeana said:
Unfortunately, the rhythm system is off on all emulators. Mednafen with the sound buffer option turned down all the way is the best result I've seen. There's. GS code that makes them easier. As for how necessary they are... I would say they're significant but you can beat it without them.

So then how has anyone played it effectively (with the patch)? Is everyone in this thread having a compromised experience?

Tiktaalik

Jimmy Stav said:
So then how has anyone played it effectively (with the patch)? Is everyone in this thread having a compromised experience?

Many (including me) loaded the patched rom onto flash carts and played it on GBA hardware. I still found the rhythm attack system quite hard to get for many songs.

LaneDS

Question about the game's length, since I'm revisiting it after many years (originally I only got as far as chapter 3). If I'm in chapter 7, how much more to the game is there? Very much enjoying it, but it feels a lot smaller than Earthbound did which is a bit unfortunate.

Davey Cakes

Well, chapter 7 is the longest chapter. Chapter 8 is about on level with chapter 4/5, I think?

If you're just starting chapter 7 then you have over 1/4 of the game ahead of you.

My playthrough was about 23 hours.

LaneDS

Rash said:
Well, chapter 7 is the longest chapter. Chapter 8 is about on level with chapter 4/5, I think?

If you're just starting chapter 7 then you have over 1/4 of the game ahead of you.

My playthrough was about 23 hours.

Ah, cool thanks. Enjoying it but since it has felt small (and I knew how many chapters there were going into it) I've been worrying about it being over before it felt like it really started.

Since I haven't played Earthbound in many years, I will probably give that another playthrough once I've finished this to see if the perceived difference in size of both games is in my head or not.

That little (potential) gripe aside, I'm really impressed with the game (and translation!) and still hope Nintendo one day releases it in some fashion in the U.S.

Owensboro

mattiewheels said:
Wow, did you make that cart yourself? If so....how?
Oh man, I'm sorry I never responded to this. I actually got a tip from Jeremy Parish on how to get it made for me. There is a guy in canada who has all the hardware to re-flash games, so I just had to provide the cart and cash ($25 + shipping) and he mailed the game back to me. I had to make sure and buy an old cartridge with the correct board in it though. That was very easy, as he had a list of common games that have the needed boards.

When I get to a computer I'll post a link to his site. He also does cart flashes of tecmo super bowl with the most current NFL rosters and stats according to whatever the new madden is. I can't wait for that. I'm pumped about getting Tecmo Super Bowl 2012. Matt Ryan on the Falcons? Hells yeah.

EDIT: Found the website -- http://www.nesreproductions.com/ -- Looks like he's not taking any more orders until September... oh well. If you scroll down the site you can see all the games he offers to flash for you. If you click on the circuit board next to the game you want it will tell you what game you need to purchase and ship to him in order to have it flashed. There is an extra charge if the cart has a battery and you want to replace it or have to add to a game that had no battery in the first place (I paid this for Earthbound Zero because I wanted to save). I have gotten both Earthbound Zero, and Rockman Exile (a hacked / harder version of Megaman 2) and they both work great. I've currently got an old copy of "Where in Time in Carmen Sandiego" that I'm going to send in for the eventual 2012 Tecmo Update.

Davey Cakes

LaneDS said:
That little (potential) gripe aside, I'm really impressed with the game (and translation!) and still hope Nintendo one day releases it in some fashion in the U.S.
If you're impressed now, I think you'll like the rest of the game. It ends on an interesting and somewhat thought-provoking note.

LaneDS

Rash said:
If you're impressed now, I think you'll like the rest of the game. It ends on an interesting and somewhat thought-provoking note.

Sweet. I've got some time off for the upcoming holiday weekend and plan to try and finish it off then. Will post up some post-game impressions afterwards.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
I always figured Giygas was just some weird ambiguous force of evil, not meant to make much sense but after reading about his backstory in the first game now he now kind of just depresses the hell out of me, in a good way (if thats even possible). That and the name of the game.

Poor guy.

Snaku said:
Given NoA's complete disdain for the series, and dead refusal to release the game on the Virtual Console
It's insane. They've been launching DQ games like crazy at the US trying to win us over but one Mother game bombs in the 90s and they don't want us to have anything to do with it anymore.

stalker

As this thread has been refloated I'll take the chance to say that the Spanish translation patch is going to be released very soon; most probably the day after tomorrow (July 1st).

Davey Cakes

Dr. Chaos said:
It's insane. They've been launching DQ games like crazy at the US trying to win us over but one Mother game bombs in the 90s and they don't want us to have anything to do with it anymore.
I'm pretty sure it's not about that. It's more about legal issues, as Earthbound includes potentially copyright-infringing aspects.

youtoo

I was just about to start a new thread about this...

Does anyone know exactly what I need to play it on a GBA Micro or DSLite?

Do they have to be flashed? What is the best EZ reader to put the game?

I keep finding sites with info but not a A-to-Z guide to how to do it...

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Been having the itch like crazy to play Earthbound, so many beloved childhood moments with that game.

I don't think theres been a single thing released by anybody since that could compare to the experience.

Looked up prices on Amazon, somebody wants 400 bucks for a copy. Bastards are holding the happiest moments of my young nerd life hostage.

I might buy Mother 3 out of desperation down the line along with watching an english playthrough as sort of some guide on youtube along with some gamefaqs stuff, wouldn't patch it though. Ever. Too fucking scared to ever mess with stuff like that.

Aeana

Dr. Chaos said:
Been having the itch like crazy to play Earthbound, so many beloved childhood moments with that game.

I don't think theres been a single thing released by anybody since that could compare to the experience.

Looked up prices on Amazon, somebody wants 400 bucks for a copy. Bastards are holding the happiest moments of my young nerd life hostage.

I might buy Mother 3 out of desperation down the line along with watching an english playthrough as sort of some guide on youtube along with some gamefaqs stuff, wouldn't patch it though. Ever. Too fucking scared to ever mess with stuff like that.
Scared? Why?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Dr. Chaos said:
I have a deep seated fear of breaking any law, no matter how tiny. I have too much bitch in me.
you have probably broken the law more times than you could ever know, be it out of ignorance or because there is some antiquaed law on the books that isn't enforced anymore (like, say, using an oil lamp after 6 PM when traveling on roads or something)

Aeana

Dr. Chaos said:
I have a deep seated fear of breaking any law, no matter how tiny. I have too much bitch in me.
Fortunately, it's perfectly legal for you to back up and modify something you own.

Top Bottom