• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Mother 3 Patch Thread! It's go time!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
GBA Flash Cart is by far the best way to play the title, because other emulators will leave a bit of lag.. which messes up the rhythm for chaining attacks in songs. Play it however you can though, because it's one of the best titles ever. :D

Boney

Banned
Epic Bump for only one of the best games ever.

Jeremy Parish's been playing the game now with the english translation (took him long enough). And well here are some impressions.

http://toastyfrog.com/verbalspew/archives/entry_1568.php#comm

http://toastyfrog.com/verbalspew/archives/entry_1572.php#comm

He apparently loves the game like we all do. And gushes over sprites as an artform. Love to make a thread discussing his views of how 2d sprites are more effective in portraying emotions than 3d models. But I'll leave that to somebody else.

Obligatory, if you haven't, play Mother 3 goddamit!

Aeana

I'm currently on my fifth playthrough of the game, and it's just amazing how much more I appreciate the game every time I play it. And how many things I continue to pick up on that I didn't before.

I hope Mr. Parish has a great time. I see he's mostly been talking about the graphics, which are definitely phenomenal. Unique sprite animations are indeed awesome, and that's one of the reasons why I was really impressed with Mario & Luigi 3 as well.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Always makes me happy to see this thread back up on the front page. Might do a replay in another month or two.

Alright I switched to Windows and the patch runs perfectly. However I'm stuck on a boss.

I'm on Chapter 5 and I can't beat the Robot Defense Boss where that generator thing is at Thunder Tower. Seriously every time he does that electricity move it demolishes my party to near death and I can't buy raincoats because there isn't a merchant here. And all of the members in my party are at least level 26.

yursnhere

Flying_Phoenix said:
Alright I switched to Windows and the patch runs perfectly. However I'm stuck on a boss.

There should be a vending machine in that room with all the toys near the top of the tower that sells some sort of thunder accessory (thunder charms?)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Flying_Phoenix said:

I'm on Chapter 5 and I can't beat the Robot Defense Boss where that generator thing is at Thunder Tower. Seriously every time he does that electricity move it demolishes my party to near death and I can't buy raincoats because there isn't a merchant here. And all of the members in my party are at least level 26.
Fuck that boss. I remember getting really frustrated there.

Empty

the recent 'how many times have you beaten your favourite rpgs' thread makes me want to replay the game as i've only beaten mother 3 once. maybe later in the summer.

yursnhere said:
There should be a vending machine in that room with all the toys near the top of the tower that sells some sort of thunder accessory (thunder charms?)

WTF!? DOES THAT LOOK LIKE A VENDING MACHINE!!!?

Sorry for the all CAPS but seriously! How was I suppose to know that?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nessus said:
K, so I just bought this. How the hell do I download it? They talk about "shipping" my item on August 4th.. uh...
I think you bought a printed out version that will ship to you...

...becuase if you just want a digital copy, it's free online: here.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I still love how there are so many musical references in this game.

Batman theme.
FOX 20th Century
Godzilla's theme.
Mozart's 40th symphony
Eric Satie's Gymnopedie #1 (Leder looks EXACTLY like Eric Satie too :D)
Beat It.
Saint Saens Piano Concerto #2
Beethoven's 5th Symphony
tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1

Even fucking London Bridge is Falling Down is referenced :lol

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
GaimeGuy said:
I still love how there are so many musical references in this game.

Batman theme.
FOX 20th Century
Godzilla's theme.
Mozart's 40th symphony
Eric Satie's Gymnopedie #1 (Leder looks EXACTLY like Eric Satie too :D)
Beat It.
Saint Saens Piano Concerto #2
Beethoven's 5th Symphony
tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1

Even fucking London Bridge is Falling Down is referenced :lol
Well, some of these are public domain.

Boney

Banned
Bumping with some fan art :)

Because it makes us feel warm and fuzzy.

tumblr_l6h6k4odlh1qcuio9o1_500.jpg

hipgnosis

Just started playing this. Never played EB or Mother games, but this seems awesome from the very beginning. Very funny dialogue and awesome music, can't wait to play more!

Boney

Banned
hipgnosis said:
Just started playing this. Never played EB or Mother games, but this seems awesome from the very beginning. Very funny dialogue and awesome music, can't wait to play more!
You're in for a treat.

Gravijah

hipgnosis said:

MAKE SURE YOU PLAY EARTHBOUND SOMEDAY!

vid

I'm a couple of days late, but for those of you who don't follow Fangamer and Starmen.Net very closely, their Mother 3 Fanfest (Group playthrough and arts/crafts/whatever contribution) started two days ago. Currently they're about two thirds of the way through Chapter 1, so it's pretty easy to catch up if any of you guys want to play along.

It's a great refresher for those who have played through it already, and a great way to get involved for people who haven't played it yet or haven't made time to finish it.

http://fangamer.com/fanfest/m3/2010/3

Edit: Heh, while posting that, they updated the site to take players up through the end of Chapter 1. In about an hour and a half, tonight's host will be playing through that portion of the game live on the video feed as well.

I still need to play this. I bought a Game Boy Player and flash cart nearly a year ago, yet I still haven't bought a mini SD card for the flash cart.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I finally got my own Mother 3 starmen.net guide, now I'm ready to dive in and beat this game. I have 15 hours logged in it and I loved everything about it from that short playthrough.

The guide is completely awesome, by the way, and I wish every game I loved had such an amazing companion piece. Just gives me a kick to flip through it, incredible job by starmen.net. Does anyone who's played through this game have suggestions for other games that give you the same, um, 'feeling' while playing?

Owensboro

I know this probably isn't the place to post this.... but...

So, my most recent trip caused me to re-play Mother 3 again, which only caused me to feel guilty about not beating Mother 1 after quitting so close to the end (I just didn't want to level up). So I just now took a break and did this:

2zegrba.jpg

With my custom NES cart:
igiv5i.jpg

I feel so proud of myself (yes, I know that's sad!)

Back to Mother 3! Then I'll probably go back and beat Earthbound again. I <3 These games.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Owensboro said:
I know this probably isn't the place to post this.... but...

So, my most recent trip caused me to re-play Mother 3 again, which only caused me to feel guilty about not beating Mother 1 after quitting so close to the end (I just didn't want to level up). So I just now took a break and did this:

2zegrba.jpg

With my custom NES cart:
igiv5i.jpg
Wow, did you make that cart yourself? If so....how?

gblues

Banned
I was playing this via VBA-M on my laptop during AT. It has some minor issues, but at least it's close enough that combo timing works pretty well.

It's interesting playing Earthbound again after finishing Mother 3. Random thoughts:

1) Do you think that Flint is a descendant of Ness + Paula? The clues that this might be the case are the Franklin Badge that gets handed down, and the fact that Lucas looks like a blonde version of Ness.

2) In Earthbound, Giygas is described as being 'neither male or female.' You think Giygas was a Magypsy, corrupted similarly to Lucria?

3) Likewise, the Dark Dragon and Giygas are spoken about in similar terms; if Giygas wasn't a Magypsy, perhaps it was an activated Dark Dragon bound to an evil heart (Pokey/Porky?)

The above is pretty much wild speculation, since my memories of EB's story are mostly fuzzy--I'm replaying it now, but I'm just finishing the pyramids so I'm not at the end quite yet.

Top Bottom