• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Mother 3 Patch Thread! It's go time!

upandaway

civilstrife said:
Would you recommend this game for someone who's never played Earthbound?
Anyone, period. It doesn't directly follow Earthbound and it doesn't rely on you knowing anything from Earthbound. Then if you like it, you can go play Earthbound too.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
upandaway said:
I remember now. You need to push the closet thing.

Dang, I tought I examined everything but maybe not, thanks I'll do that right now!
I'm going to bed in 10 and I'll switch my usual book/comics time with a Mother 3 session until I fall asleep :)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I just reread a bit of this thread and the analyses. A ton of great stuff. I'm tempted to do another replay...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Was listening to some of M3 music again last week. Funky Monkey Dance, With Magypsy, Oh Buta-Mask... So good.

batbeg

I'm utterly ashamed of myself for not finished this considering how much I loved it... but I just hate playing on emulators for some reason.

Does this run reasonably well on the PSP emu? I've not tried any emulation on that yet, but this would definitely be incentive.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
^ Ran pretty fine on the one I used, plus I didn't have any problems with following the rhythm in battles. The name was gpSP Kai iirc but unfortunately I can't check it to confirm right now.

upandaway

Jarate said:
I'm going to ive this game another go around, is there anything I should try to do while playing this time
Did you quit or are you replaying it normally?

If you're replaying it, you can activate a special hard mode that cuts experience and money and a bunch of stuff that make it harder. I forgot how to do that though, something about the name input in the church.
If you're trying again after you quit, then I don't know, try to figure what made it so unbearable and fix it.

Edit: Well, to get Hard Mode all you gotta do is name yourself in the church "HARD MODE". Crazy, I tell ya.

eXistor

batbeg said:
I'm utterly ashamed of myself for not finished this considering how much I loved it... but I just hate playing on emulators for some reason.

Does this run reasonably well on the PSP emu? I've not tried any emulation on that yet, but this would definitely be incentive.
The only major problem I had using emu is the battlelag, so you can't get the battle-rhythm to work properly. It looked effing fantastic on my 40" screen, surround sound and everything and I even play it with an original SNES controller for nostalgic reasons. I had such a great time playing M3 and it's easily on par with Earthbound as far as I'm concerned.

Jasoco

Banned
civilstrife said:
Would you recommend this game for someone who's never played Earthbound?
I would play EB first since M3 is a technological advancement and going back to EB after M3 would be harder. They streamlined everything in M3.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Jasoco said:
I would play EB first since M3 is a technological advancement and going back to EB after M3 would be harder. They streamlined everything in M3.

In my opinion, Earthbound and Mother 3 are vastly different titles. They share common elements, but they play, and tell their story entirely differently.

Agreeing though, that playing Earthbound first will allow you to appreciate many of the Easter Eggs present in Mother 3.

Dash Kappei

HELP needed guys!

Hopefully I'm not stuck with a game breaking bug.

CHAPTER 7:
I'm on the shore after the octopus gave me a ride back from the island.

I guess now I should go up to the mountains for the next (last?) needle.
Well, there's nothing I can do!
If I go up there it still says I can't go forward since there are ants at my feet, I tried looking for Alec and Mapson to write on my map as per the walkthroughs that I finally checked are saying, but they're not where they're supposed to be. In fact, Alec's still in the retirement home near the wheelchair frog, whereas Mapson is nowhere to be found!

Is it possibile to do the needles quest in a different order or is it fixed? What i mean is that could I have missed some steps.

What I remember is going into a Volcano and fighting Fassad, then to the Saturn village and then, thanks to the rope snake, I landed on the beach.
There I was told to go into the ocean and at the end of the quest I fought with those 3 striking-pose statues. After the encounter with masked-man, I took the octopus' ride back to the shore and here I am, stuck.

I really want to beat the game, I'm loving it but I've spent the last three hours in game just running around looking for where to go/what to do. :-(

BorkBork

Dash Kappei said:
HELP needed guys!

Hopefully I'm not stuck with a game breaking bug.

CHAPTER 7:
I'm on the shore after the octopus gave me a ride back from the island.

I guess now I should go up to the mountains for the next (last?) needle.
Well, there's nothing I can do!
If I go up there it still says I can't go forward since there are ants at my feet, I tried looking for Alec and Mapson to write on my map as per the walkthroughs that I finally checked are saying, but they're not where they're supposed to be. In fact, Alec's still in the retirement home near the wheelchair frog, whereas Mapson is nowhere to be found!

Is it possibile to do the needles quest in a different order or is it fixed? What i mean is that could I have missed some steps.

What I remember is going into a Volcano and fighting Fassad, then to the Saturn village and then, thanks to the rope snake, I landed on the beach.
There I was told to go into the ocean and at the end of the quest I fought with those 3 striking-pose statues. After the encounter with masked-man, I took the octopus' ride back to the shore and here I am, stuck.

I really want to beat the game, I'm loving it but I've spent the last three hours in game just running around looking for where to go/what to do. :-(

Lemme just bust out my trusty Mother 3 player's guide.

Argilla Pass is where you want to go. It should be ant free, not too far from Alec's Cabin. Just keep searching around that area.

The needle quest is fixed as far as I can recall.
Good luck.

Dash Kappei

BorkBork said:
Lemme just bust out my trusty Mother 3 player's guide.

Argilla Pass is where you want to go. It should be ant free, not too far from Alec's Cabin. Just keep searching around that area.

The needle quest is fixed as far as I can recall.
Good luck.

-___-

Now I'm 99% SURE there's something wrong and maybe a bug or something.

Kumatora is NOT with me! :O
I did the 3 posing-statues battle with just Lucas, Duster and Boney.
I have no idea where's Kumatora, I really don't remember how long I've been without her.
I've watched the videos and at this point I only have three characters in my party, Kumatora's not there with me and that's why I also can't trigger the events on the argilla pass where you get control of Boney

WHAt THE HELL

(Thanks for trying man!)

BorkBork

Dash Kappei said:
-___-

Now I'm 99% SURE there's something wrong and maybe a bug or something.

Kumatora is NOT with me! :O
I did the 3 posing-statues battle with just Lucas, Duster and Boney.
I have no idea where's Kumatora, I really don't remember how long I've been without her.
I've watched the videos and at this point I only have three characters in my party, Kumatora's not there with me and that's why I also can't trigger the events on the argilla pass where you get control of Boney

WHAt THE HELL

(Thanks for trying man!)

Huh. Ok that might explain why you can't go there yet. Have you been to the
Chimera Lab near the factory and Club Titiboo
yet?

Oops I guess it's not fixed. From the guide:

You can actually acquire many of the Needles in whichever order you wish. So it's not a bug.

Dash Kappei

BorkBork said:
Oops I guess it's not fixed. From the guide:

Ohhhh... now I get it.
Damn, now I wish I remember which one I'm missing and how do I procede.

I've done already:

Snowcap mountain (in fact there's still the fridge in the graveyard).
Saturn Valley (I've got a bird in my inventory).
Volcano (where you fight with the molten granny right?).
The Island (where you hallucinate and fight the 3 statues).
The little cockroach/bug helping me... don't remember if there's a needle there though.
The Club yeah, isn't that the one where you get Duster back and fight the instruments? I see I have the attic map.
I also did the thunder tower and the factory. I tried now to go back to the thunder tower's entrance by using the Mr Saturn's "spaceship" but there's a pig that wont allow me in. To the east there's the factory, pretty much desert by now besides two pigs and a buch of pigtanks blocking the road on the other side... but I remeber the clayman fight or something, right?

Chimera Lab... yeah, what was the boss fight there? But I think I did it.

I guess I'd really love to keep playing since with any other game I could not be bothered so much and I'm pretty sure I'd given up already...

Moobabe

I have this up and running on my laptop but I'm sick of using a KB to play. Is there any way of getting this working on a ds?

Moobabe

I don't suppose you could point in the direction of a sales outlet (UK) my ebay and google skills are failing me at this early an hour.

BorkBork

Dash Kappei said:
Ohhhh... now I get it.
Damn, now I wish I remember which one I'm missing and how do I procede.

I've done already:

Chimera Lab... yeah, what was the boss fight there? But I think I did it.

I guess I'd really love to keep playing since with any other game I could not be bothered so much and I'm pretty sure I'd given up already...

Yeah Chimera Lab's not a place you would forget. I don't want to spoil it, but going through that area and opening the sealed door will get you Kumatora.

Dash Kappei

Moobabe said:
I don't suppose you could point in the direction of a sales outlet (UK) my ebay and google skills are failing me at this early an hour.

I bought it from here, free shipping worldwide and I got it in London in 7 days.

I've chosen the EZ-IV I've linked.
Mind you that's only for GBA games, you can't play DS games with that one unless you buy a passme device and such. But for GBA games it's the best, in primis for its high compatibility (I think now it's near 100% for all regions JPN/US/EU) and the fact you're not *emulating* the GBA mode under the DS mode but, in fact, properly playing *in* gba mode.

BorkBork, will try tonight, thanks man! Really appreciate you took the time to read through all that :)

Dash Kappei

Moobabe said:
Thanks a lot :) Will mull over this, user reviews are always off-putting though. Seems extremely complex.

What do you mean?
It's as easy as copying a file from your hard disk into an SD card.

Here:
Using this tiny program called "EZ Client", you just have to push the "load" button and it'll make you browse for the rom you wanna add, voila', it's done. Finish.
Then the SD card (where you copied the file) goes into the GBA cartridge shell and you put it into the DS.
I think you can manage to do that ;)

Dash Kappei

Bork Bork, you sir are indeed awesome.

I owe you big time! :

I can't believe I did all those boss battles with one man less in my party, no wonder they were just tad too diffucult :lol

Dash Kappei

How far am I in the game?
What the hell I'm approaching 40hours playtime and even if I took my sweet time that's still a lot!

I'm at
the sewers in New Pork City, after you get Boney back from running off with the stinky bug

Dash Kappei said:
What the hell I'm approaching 40hours playtime and even if I took my sweet time that's still a lot!

I'm at
the sewers in New Pork City, after you get Boney back from running off with the stinky bug
My memory is a bit hazy. But I think you have about 2-3 hours left - maybe a bit more for you seeing as you're taking your sweet time :lol . I also want to add this is my favourite RPG ever.

Dineren

Banned
I really need to come back to this, I made it up to Chapter 6 around a year ago, but got distracted by other things and forgot all about it. I wonder if going through the guide would be enough refresher or if it would be better to start over at this point.

BorkBork

Dash Kappei said:

I'm at

90% probably. The last bit contains probably the most hilarious dungeon idea I've ever come across.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Question, I'm at chapter 7 I think. I met the dude/woman who is trapped into some rings. I can get on a boat and continue the story but I'm thinking I should explore the town and go there by myself in case I'm missing out on something. Should I do that or just take the boat?

upandaway

Teetris said:
Question, I'm at chapter 7 I think. I met the dude/woman who is trapped into some rings. I can get on a boat and continue the story but I'm thinking I should explore the town and go there by myself in case I'm missing out on something. Should I do that or just take the boat?
You can't do any wrong by just exploring. Especially with this game, I think it's a crime to simply go in the obvious right direction rather than seeing everything the game has to offer.

On another note, it has been officially one year since the translation came out, and one year since I played the game. Crazy how time passes.

Owensboro

BorkBork said:
Time for the one year anniversary replay! Hard Mode! Who's in?

What a great idea, but with such horrible timing. The amount of games coming out in the next 3 months isn't going to allow me to do it.

BUT! I will gladly join in when I'm traveling over the Christmas Season. I'll have a lot of down time. Oh man, and I'll get to use that guide I bought too! <3 this game.

BorkBork

HeadsUpSevenUp said:
I'm in if I can do the cheat with all the PSI... how do you do that again?

I have no idea. That would defeat the purpose of a hard mode run though.

Dash Kappei

Well, I'm finished with the game.
What a gem, what a charming "little" game :'-)

Loved the
New Cinema Paradiso
reference too

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
upandaway said:
You can't do any wrong by just exploring. Especially with this game, I think it's a crime to simply go in the obvious right direction rather than seeing everything the game has to offer.

On another note, it has been officially one year since the translation came out, and one year since I played the game. Crazy how time passes.
Yeah, I've been doing that the whole game but since I was approaching the end I was getting hasty. Now that I'm calm again I'll just take my sweet time. :)

celebi23 said:
Damn, 1 year already? I really need to finish this game :lol Damn college & my insane amount of work to finish :lol
Yeah totally. 1 year is CRAZY, especially since I started it the day the patch came out.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, the day when I had to wipe the tears from my eyes on the way to class right after beating the game doesn't seem like that long ago. But, alas, it's been nearly a year.

Incredible.

I have not replayed Mother 3 once since then. I really should.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'd like to take this opportunity to also thank all those involved with the translation :) Happy anniversary !

Dash Kappei

NetMapel said:
I'd like to take this opportunity to also thank all those involved with the translation :) Happy anniversary !

Ditto.

What a top notch job they did there, what an awesome consistence, nuances and feeling they were able to permeate their translation with.
I can't thank them enough for gifting me the joy to play this gem.

BorkBork

Rash said:
Yeah, the day when I had to wipe the tears from my eyes on the way to class right after beating the game doesn't seem like that long ago. But, alas, it's been nearly a year.

Incredible.

I have not replayed Mother 3 once since then. I really should.

Do it!

Man, Hard mode is rough, especially in the early going. Enemies probably have double the hit points. Into Chapter 2, and ghosts are nasty, especially when they call for help. I can't imagine some of the boss fights later on, especially when I threw everything at them in the first time through on normal.

upandaway

BorkBork said:
Do it!

Man, Hard mode is rough, especially in the early going. Enemies probably have double the hit points. Into Chapter 2, and ghosts are nasty, especially when they call for help. I can't imagine some of the boss fights later on, especially when I threw everything at them in the first time through on normal.
I remember that from a certain point onward, bosses never meant a thing to me. For the first time ever I started to use stat things, and before you know it, they're weaker than normal enemies on the field.
The Porky army though, that was ass, because they hit too strong too fast, and I couldn't boost anything in time besides put a shield up. All items spent, bombarded every major attack as much as possible, won just barely with I think Lucas was on like 10 HP (on the way to 0. Gotta love scroll HP) and I mashed the buttons like crazy.

Edit: Eh, I'll just spoiler everything to be safe. Regarding the final boss.

BorkBork

Damn the Tank Boss at the end of Chapter 3 is BRUTAL. I survived with Kumatora with 10hp and no items and PP at all.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
upandaway said:
I remember that from a certain point onward, bosses never meant a thing to me. For the first time ever I started to use stat things, and before you know it, they're weaker than normal enemies on the field.
The Porky army though, that was ass, because they hit too strong too fast, and I couldn't boost anything in time besides put a shield up. All items spent, bombarded every major attack as much as possible, won just barely with I think Lucas was on like 10 HP (on the way to 0. Gotta love scroll HP) and I mashed the buttons like crazy.

Edit: Eh, I'll just spoiler everything to be safe. Regarding the final boss.
No way. The bosses are way harder than enemies :O How about that first time you went to
Thunder Tower and got your butt whooped by that giant machine boss at the end ? Or how about Farsead after he transformed ? Or Claus as the Mask Man ?
I died a ridiculous amount of times during those epic battles !

Dash Kappei

NetMapel said:
No way. The bosses are way harder than enemies :O

Eheh, I was about to go nuts during the
needles quest
and you know why?
I chose the wrong order (path isn't fixed) so I had to fight all the bosses bar the last one
without Kumatora (since she's back with the party after the Chimera Lab's needle quest)
! Man, it was freakin' hard!

Top Bottom