• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Mother 3 Patch Thread! It's go time!

upandaway

NetMapel said:
No way. The bosses are way harder than enemies :O How about that first time you went to
Thunder Tower and got your butt whooped by that giant machine boss at the end ? Or how about Farsead after he transformed ? Or Claus as the Mask Man ?
I died a ridiculous amount of times during those epic battles !
I did lose a lot on Thunder (had to grind, ugh), but
Fassad was easy. Both times
I beat him first try.
Lowered all his stats, upped all of mine, put shield up, start biting away. It took forever, and a bit of healing items, but it was easy.

Dash Kappei said:
Eheh, I was about to go nuts during the
needles quest
and you know why?
I chose the wrong order (path isn't fixed) so I had to fight all the bosses bar the last one
without Kumatora (since she's back with the party after the Chimera Lab's needle quest)
! Man, it was freakin' hard!

Yeah I think I got stuck with the same thing, ended up having to restart from an earlier save.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've fallen far out of the emulation scene. Could someone recommend a Windows Vista friendly GBA emu for Mother 3 that has the fewest sound glitches? What's considered current?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Kaijima said:
I've fallen far out of the emulation scene. Could someone recommend a Windows Vista friendly GBA emu for Mother 3 that has the fewest sound glitches? What's considered current?

http://mother3.fobby.net/ has some recommendations.

Chapter 4: I discovered something new. There are TWO Mr. T's! One pulls you off the tracks from the Tazmily side, another pulls you off the tracks from the factory side. He has a twin brother! :lol @ the talks they give you too.

Jasoco

Banned
Dammit. Looks like I should pick this back up and play through on harder again. I started one a while ago and apparently am up to the point of
the mother's death and aftermath
on the harder skill.

Also, I gotta get me one of them books. Goddamn they're nice.

BorkBork

There are just so many hilarious and completely absurd moments in the game. Chapter 5:
Just past the desert. The cafe infested with mold with Neckbeard as the bouncer, the robot who bitches you out for not recharging him enough at 14 seconds, and of course, Lil' Miss Marshmellow.
PORK CHOPS!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BorkBork said:
Damn the Tank Boss at the end of Chapter 3 is BRUTAL. I survived with Kumatora with 10hp and no items and PP at all.

Agreed. After this fight, nothing gave me trouble, but this fight was brutal.

BorkBork

EvilMario said:
Agreed. After this fight, nothing gave me trouble, but this fight was brutal.

Yeah hard mode's not so tough when you get a full party going, especially when you gain access to debuffs. I think it's pretty solid for a second run through actually.

Still in Chapter 7, going through the ocean with the oxygen machines. :Lol Much better with a map this time around.

gogojira

Just beat it. What an amazing game -- the ending is seriously sad and touching. Rather than bitching about Nintendo not bringing this game stateside, I'd rather say thanks for the amazing translation job done by some truly dedicated fans.

Seriously though, the story, the humor, the music; being so fresh off the experience I'd rather not say "it's one of my favorite games of all time," but I'm tempted to make some bold claims. I'll let it sit for a bit, however.

Now I need to play the first two and start begging Shigesato Itoi to reconsider for a Mother 4.

I have an all new respect for Lucas as a Brawl character, too.

Just hearing the music from the
final phase of the final battle
makes me well up with tears. I haven't played the game since I beat it a year ago, but I still listen to the OST a lot. It's so incredibly brilliant, so eclectic, so many tracks with so little filler.

gogojira

revolverjgw said:
Just hearing the music from the
final phase of the final battle
makes me well up with tears. I haven't played the game since I beat it a year ago, but I still listen to the OST a lot. It's so incredibly brilliant, so eclectic, so many tracks with so little filler.

Definitely. The soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in years, and I love how they bring back previously used tracks that are changed to best fit the situation they're in. They bring you back to early interactions with the game, but are updated to fit the current mood.

Man, it's just so damn good.

Oddly enough, there was a since of nostalgia with the game, too. I had never played it before, but I followed the game very closely back when it was originally planned for N64. There were numerous scenes that I instantly recognized. It's weird, but I kind of want to play that version, too. Too bad it doesn't exist.

BorkBork

Have been taking my time, and at chapter 8 now working through my favorite dungeon. I LOVE New Pork City so much. The city itself provides an interesting insight into Porky's mentality; everything is grandiose, but ultimately shallow and meaningless. Things look great, don't feel right. People from Tazmily all gravitate towards it, some love it, some are indifferent, some regret it; there's just a sense of melancholy about their predicament.

Gruco

Banned
So, I played it in Japanese back in 07, and just went through it for the second time, first using the translation. Lot of random stuff reminding me about how much I love this game.

I did not realize there was a hard mode either! That is kind of crazy, as this is already a game with a great challenge level. It wasn't as bad my second time through since I knew about a lot of the bosses tricks, and especially since I hunted down some of the rare equipment, leading to over leveling and the extremely overpowered last PSIs for Lucas and Kumatora, but it really is a tough game if you avoid extraneous combat, even with proper buffing. I am tempted to try hard mode though, especially since there are still a few rare monsters I never succeeded in tracking down.

Anyway, I suppose most people have gone through this already so there's probably not much point in raving too much about the great music, story, etc. I think it's a great way of wrapping up the series, even if it makes me sad that it's the end of it.

It kind of sucks that you can never get an actual fight with the
Ultimate Chimera
. I'd love to save a New Years Bomb for him or something. I am also kind of tempted to fight the
Pokey Statue
straight up some time (no NYE bomb, no flash), as I am convinced that it should still be possible even if it takes forever.

It kind of sucks that I used to be damn good at combing on the cart but can't do it for shit on emulator. Is this a common problem? It kind of dampens Hard Mode a bit...

leroidys

Spirit tracks
inspired me to finally get around to playing this game. Playing it on my PC isn't really an option with how its set up right now... what are your guys suggestions? What's this about a wii homebrew emulator?

NotWii

Banned
Question for people who beat the game...

REAL SPOILERS BELOW DO NOT HIGHLIGHT

WHO CRIED DURING THE FINAL BATTLE?

REAL SPOILERS ABOVE DO NOT HIGHLIGHT

I know I did :'(

Amir0x

Banned
On my yearly play through of Mother 2 and Mother 3, and man during Mother 3 it still amazes me some of the little things they put in this game that pretty much all jRPGs consistently miss. It's almost a little amusing that this simple GBA game still slaughters most of the character-driven work in other jRPGs.

That one part at the start of Chapter 4,
right after waking up with your hair all mussed up and you look in the mirror, and see an extremely short little flashback of your mother brushing your hair as a little child.
The scene didn't linger, there was no dialogue, and yet it was instantly more poignant than anything that has ever been in any Final Fantasy game.

I'm not just saying that because I'm a Mother fan either. These things are the reason why Mother series does stand out for me. They understand storytelling.

Davey Cakes

Amir0x said:
I'm not just saying that because I'm a Mother fan either. These things are the reason why Mother series does stand out for me. They understand storytelling.
It can't really be said enough. Itoi is a genius.

Mother 3 showed that the right creative backing behind any game can really make a difference. I know Brownie Brown isn't known for doing outstanding work, but even with that said they translated over Itoi's world pretty damn well.

This is another reason why it's sad how the Mother series has been shunned in the US. Even without the prospect of mindblowing sales, it's a series that deserves to be experienced by anyone with even a little bit of interest (without the need for piracy). There aren't many games that put story and charm at the forefront and actually benefit from it significantly, but the Mother games definitely do, and they make you re-think what truly makes a great, memorable gaming experience outside of core gameplay.

upandaway

Amir0x said:
He understands storytelling.
Well, it's a given, he's a writer and all.

Looking at these results, you have to wonder just how amazing games could be if only the medium could draw more talent out of other mediums. Itoi can't be the only man on earth capable of creating this kind of quality RPG. He's just the only one that did it with enough focus.

Amir0x

Banned
Rash said:
It can't really be said enough. Itoi is a genius.

Mother 3 showed that the right creative backing behind any game can really make a difference. I know Brownie Brown isn't known for doing outstanding work, but even with that said they translated over Itoi's world pretty damn well.

This is another reason why it's sad how the Mother series has been shunned in the US. Even without the prospect of mindblowing sales, it's a series that deserves to be experienced by anyone with even a little bit of interest (without the need for piracy). There aren't many games that put story and charm at the forefront and actually benefit from it significantly, but the Mother games definitely do, and they make you re-think what truly makes a great, memorable gaming experience outside of core gameplay.

Yeah but it's more than just a charming little game that parodies other RPGs. Think about how many jRPGs there are where someone lost a mother or a something. Think of Lost Odyssey. They spend an eternity showcasing two whining kids moaning and moaning about their dead mother, there's a fetch quest about the funeral, there's the funeral, there's a dungeon as a direct result of a kid's reaction.

Mother 3 hardly languishes on anything. There is a funeral, which is simple yet effective. Then there is a lot of talk about how Chris (I named him after me, that's right!) is always crying about his mother, and yet very few scenes where they actually show it. That's because the writer doesn't feel we're retards. Instead, Itoi knows the audience already assumes the emotional stress this family is going through. It is not knocked over your head until you're dead from the lack of subtlety. The writers of Lost Odyssey literally believe that everyone playing the game has the mental capacity of a gorilla.

Mother 3 also isn't afraid to show things in silence. Many important aspects of scenes are handled through the careful and extremely impressive sprite animation, allowing us to draw our own conclusions. Again, things aren't drawn out. There isn't hours of pointless exposition about shit we already know.

This is the main difference between pretty much all jRPGs and something like the Mother series. This is the main reason I can love a jRPG like Mother, but constantly deride other jRPGs.

Mother 2, 3... they understand nuance and subtlety. Other jRPGs don't. Itoi understands the power of suggestion. Others don't.

Mother 3 is the only jRPG where the death of a mother feels real and human, despite the fact that it is a
giant dinosaur that kills her
. There is a reason for that.

upandaway

Amir0x said:
There is a funeral, which is simple yet effective. Then there is a lot of talk about how Chris (I named him after me, that's right!)
Really the only right way to play the game. Naming yourself after the hero and your parents after his, that's how it works. And if you have no parents or brother, the people in your life that replace them. It makes the whole story click.

Davey Cakes

I actually just named them all their defaults. Lucas, Claus, Flint, Boney, Hinawa, Kumatora, Duster, etc.

That said,
I did cry at the final battle
because I do have a brother and was capable of establishing the connection. I can see why having the names match might make the story more effective, but I was affected regardless of the names.

BorkBork

Amir0x said:
Mother 3 also isn't afraid to show things in silence. Many important aspects of scenes are handled through the careful and extremely impressive sprite animation, allowing us to draw our own conclusions. Again, things aren't drawn out. There isn't hours of pointless exposition about shit we already know.

This is the main difference between pretty much all jRPGs and something like the Mother series. This is the main reason I can love a jRPG like Mother, but constantly deride other jRPGs.

Mother 2, 3... they understand nuance and subtlety. Other jRPGs don't. Itoi understands the power of suggestion. Others don't.

Less is definitely more, something that's lost in most games.

Kishgal

Banned
lucablight said:
Why was this game released on the GBA instead of the DS?
Probably because the DS was only really starting to take off when Mother 3's development was winding down. And with the DS able to play GBA games, that meant Mother 3 could have been played on 5 different machines.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Wii said:

I totally did too. I don't have the heart to replay this game. It'll be too much for me.

Amir0x

Banned
BorkBork said:
Less is definitely more, something that's lost in most games.

I don't know why, either! It's not a hard concept to grasp. And I don't think having endless scenes which go on and on and drag the whole production down is really the reason these jRPGs sell.

I think they sell because people don't really have many alternatives if they like jRPG gameplay.

It's a real shame we don't have more games, both serious and funny in tone, that understand the important things in stories. Mother 3 is an anomaly in our poor hobby.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:
I think they sell because people don't really have many alternatives if they like jRPG gameplay.

The real reason:
2mqvw54.jpg

Masked Man

I said wow
It always makes me happy to see this thread get bumped. <3

As it were, I'm supposed to write a brief essay (600-800 characters) for Japanese about the story that moved me the most / made me cry the most. Anyone who frequents this thread will have a good idea of which story I've selected. ;D
;__;

upandaway

Masked Man said:
It always makes me happy to see this thread get bumped. <3

As it were, I'm supposed to write a brief essay (600-800 characters) for Japanese about the story that moved me the most / made me cry the most. Anyone who frequents this thread will have a good idea of which story I've selected. ;D
;__;
It's not Lion King then?

JohnsonUT

Amir0x said:

This is how I have felt for years but could never put it in words. I pretty much hate the JRPG genre but Earthbound was one of my top 5 games ever.

With other jRPGs, I would always get to a point where i would only want to finish to get it over with. Since it had been years since Earthbound had come out, I feared I would grow tired of Mother 3. But, I never did and the story seemed to have perfect timing and pacing.

Empty

Wii said:

Oh totally.

I just couldn't hold it back at the
'you must be so tired'
part.

Such a touching conclusion to such a beautiful game.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Such a great game. I've only played through it once but now that I've got the handbook I should play through it again.

Owensboro

Wii said:

Empty said:
Oh totally.

I just couldn't hold it back at the
'you must be so tired'
part.

Such a touching conclusion to such a beautiful game.

Hah, that started it for me, but
I lost it at the part that is like "and he embraced him". Just *bam*, turn on the waterworks.

Now I want to replay the game again! Arrgh.

mehdi_san

I really need to get back to this game. I really enjoyed the first hours I played of it, but I am trying to do it in Japanese, and everything written in hiragana only makes it very hard to understand for me (still learning the language...). Surprisingly, it is easier to understand new words when they're written in kanji (because you can guess the meaning without reading them).
My only problem was the combat system which seemed to me a bit easy once you got the rhythm part. I mean, once you got the right pattern, you keep chaining the enemy a bit too easily... maybe? Does it get harder later in the game? Or maybe is there more variety in the combats??

Boney

Banned
What chapter are you in? The game definately gets a lot more easier if you can make long combos at will. But as you advance in the game, you'll need to use buffs and debuffs and shields in order to survive.

Also, later in the game, you get remixes of the songs, so it's even harder to combo.

Jasoco

Banned
I really need to get this game in portable form somehow.

Can someone help me figure out how to get it on my:
  • iPod touch
  • PSP 1000 with Firmware 2.81
  • DS Lite
  • GameBoy micro
One way or another?

Kishgal

Banned
The best solution is a GBA flash cart of some kind. They were discussed earlier in the thread. I don't know much about them myself, but I do know that real hardware is the only thing that allows for proper timing for the music combos. I found it pretty hard with an emulator, but it's so much easier on the original Japanese cart.

Nose Master

I've never heard of this working on GBA/DS (the save system farts up). It works on PSP, but the sound is off a bit so it's impossible to get combos other than to get lucky with spamming.

mehdi_san

Just checked my savegame, and I am only at the chapter 2, with a little bit more than 8h in :(
And I agree with the GB micro solution !! Get one from Ebay and enjoy the greatness of this thing :) GB micro needs more love :D

BorkBork

Jasoco said:
I really need to get this game in portable form somehow.

Can someone help me figure out how to get it on my:
  • iPod touch
  • PSP 1000 with Firmware 2.81
  • DS Lite
  • GameBoy micro
One way or another?

Good link for that here for GBA/DS

Top Bottom