• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English version of Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 for PS4 introduces frequent stuttering

RPGCrazied

Looks like its running at an uncapped framerate to try and hit 60 fps? I think I might just stick with the PS3 versions.

Byvar

People are getting their hopes up for that day 1 patch, but I doubt that will fix the stuttering. I mean, I hope so, but it was announced only an hour after this thread went up and barely anyone reported this problem through official channels. The tweet talks about "matching the JP update" so what JP update are they talking about? Here are the options:
  • Another JP update is coming - but since it is JP it probably will not fix any English-exclusive problems;
  • The KH twitter account is talking about the existing JP update 1.02. The streamer is already running on this version, so this patch is already available but they are still calling it a Day 1 patch since that's what it will be for the people who get it day 1.
It doesn't really look good either way.

Also, the streamer who reported the stuttering got to the final boss fight and tested the Xemnas 1 crash with Limit Form from the PS3 version and it is gone - apparently related to the data install on PS4. This means the stuttering is the only problem exclusive to the English version.

Slaythe

The game was already installed when it crashed on ps4.

So wouldn't that mean 1.02 fixed an English exclusive issue ? In which case there might be hope for the stutter.

Byvar

The game was already installed when it crashed on ps4.

So wouldn't that mean 1.02 fixed an English exclusive issue ? In which case there might be hope for the stutter.
Xemnas 1 only crashed on PS4 when it was first tested at PAX. I have no idea what made it crash there but since this guy is claiming it was fixed by running it off a hard drive on PS3, I guess it's possible that that demo build ran off an external device, or perhaps the hard drive speed was different and the crash might still occur depending on the hard drive. Or they actually fixed it with patch 1.02. It's hard to say at this point.

Slaythe

No it's pretty clearly 60fps 99% of the time. The stuttering is what is the problem. Could we get a frame rate test from Digital Foundry?

That's perfectly useless since the Japanese version is flawless on that front and 60 fps 100% of the time.

They just need to fix English version.

Also KH uses a lot of 30 fps animations/sprites so I'm not sure if that'd make counting the fps stability a problem or not.

As long as KH1FM plays fine, I'm good, that's the one I'd be concerned about. That's besides the point, hopefully they fix whatever bugs or quirks are plaguing it.

Slaythe

Xemnas 1 only crashed on PS4 when it was first tested at PAX. I have no idea what made it crash there but since this guy is claiming it was fixed by running it off a hard drive on PS3, I guess it's possible that that demo build ran off an external device, or perhaps the hard drive speed was different and the crash might still occur depending on the hard drive. Or they actually fixed it with patch 1.02. It's hard to say at this point.

The guy is actually using a ps4Pro.

It doesn't have the same HDD as regular ps4.

So back to square one I guess. We don't know if it's fixed for regular ps4, as it was confirmed to crash at PAX. It's very possible they have fixed it in a 1.02 patch. But we'll have to confirm.

Still no ''addressing various issues before the game releases '' and doubtfully happening on weekend.

I can only hope we get some communication come Monday or this is Winter Announcement part 2.

Lnds500

Do we have confirmation, which version is the english version that stutters? Cause it could be 1.00 and the day one patch JP got could have been to address the stuttering over there.

Lnds500

Are the cutscenes from BBS choppy in the PS4 version? They looked terrible frame-rate wise on the World Tour Concert screen.

sn00zer

bit off topic

are the final mix versions of the game really that much different than the original?

Kh1 fm didn't seem different at all. Wondering about kh2
Kh1 iMO is a little worse. FM for KH1 is largely for Japanese release to catch up with extra bosses from NA releaae.

KH2 final mix on the other hand turned a mediocre game into literally my favorite game rver. Critical mode completely re balances the game to make you insanely powerful but very easy to kill, it's incredibly fun.

KH1FM is kinda both better and worse than original KH1 (while 2FM is only better).

1FM has a few bad enemy recolours and Leaf Bracer is kinda too good when the game already had a super spammable cure. Also they kinda messed up some balance stuff (like there is no reason to use Oblivion over Divine Rose now). Some of the synthesis stuff many people dislike but I actually don't mind.

What it does do well doe is make the different ''jobs'' more interesting and bit more balanced. KH1 had pretty anemic options for normal combos anyway before FM. Normal attacks are now much better for Staff users since you get a finisher that scales with your MP. And of course some of the new content is pretty cool like Proud Mode, the new boss, weapons and more accessories.

KH1FM is kinda both better and worse than original KH1 (while 2FM is only better).

1FM has a few bad enemy recolours and Leaf Bracer is kinda too good when the game already had a super spammable cure. Also they kinda messed up some balance stuff (like there is no reason to use Oblivion over Divine Rose now). Some of the synthesis stuff many people dislike but I actually don't mind.

What it does do well doe is make the different ''jobs'' more interesting and bit more balanced. KH1 had pretty anemic options for normal combos anyway before FM. Normal attacks are now much better for Staff users since you get a finisher that scales with your MP. And of course some of the new content is pretty cool like Proud Mode, the new boss, weapons and more accessories.

I'm team KH1FM > KH1 purely because the new abilities go a long way towards making early game combat actually fun, as opposed to KH1 vanilla, where it only starts getting decent around Monstro.

I've always found KH1 Final Mix to be the most interesting of the FM releases because of how thoroughly it overhauls it's approach to combat across the entire game, whereas a majority of KH2FM's biggest balance changes were in Critical Mode, and BBSFM was purely a content update.

Slaythe

I think it's more bad writing and direction than the actor.

I thought of that.

Then I heard him in 0.2.

:)

I'm team KH1FM > KH1 purely because the new abilities go a long way towards making early game combat actually fun, as opposed to KH1 vanilla, where it only starts getting decent around Monstro.

I've always found KH1 Final Mix to be the most interesting of the FM releases because of how thoroughly it overhauls it's approach to combat across the entire game, whereas a majority of KH2FM's biggest balance changes were in Critical Mode, and BBSFM was purely a content update.

I mean, Critical level 1 literally turned KH2 into one of the best games ever. You can't brush that off. Made the entire game shine, made it far more satisfying and rewarding. It also added quite a bit of content.

Well crap, I'm in the process of selling my PS3 ReMIXes in hopes that I could just have the whole series on PS4.

I guess if the English launch is as bad as everyone fears, Square Enix is just going to lose me as a customer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a good idea. Maybe I should dig my Vita out...

c7w8avavsaae1oeqdsdq.jpg

I love KH1FM, but also I'd say Limit Form (and the re-addition of Dodge Roll) is actually a very big deal for KH2FM's overall balance; also, of course, tons of additional content, but also the many new Bonus Levels associated with said additional content are actually a pretty big deal (IMO).

jorgejjvr

What's the big problem here and is it confirmed?

Minor stuttering and frame rate drops?

I got it pre ordered, should I cancel?

The Lamp

I thought of that.

Then I heard him in 0.2.

:)

I mean, Critical level 1 literally turned KH2 into one of the best games ever. You can't brush that off. Made the entire game shine, made it far more satisfying and rewarding. It also added quite a bit of content.

I hate critical mode. The game is way too difficult with 1-hit kills, especially until you can air dodge or avoid flinching properly. Makes even the intro nobody boss fight with Roxas infuriating. The first underworld gauntlet made me nearly snap my controller.

But at least FM adds a shit ton of meaningful content to KH2

Slaythe

He was significantly better in 2.8.

His "enough" was great. But it still sounds like he's phoning it in for the rest. :/

Maybe the jp version spoiled me.

Anyway, there's no new patch, and square hasn't commented on it, it's the patch that JP got a while ago, so the stutters are here to stay for now.

That's kinda disgraceful :( .

His "enough" was great. But it still sounds like he's phoning it in for the rest. :/

Maybe the jp version spoiled me.

Anyway, there's no new patch, and square hasn't commented on it, it's the patch that JP got a while ago, so the stutters are here to stay for now.

That's kinda disgraceful :( .

I can do the OT btw but I sure as hell will blast them if they ignore the issues today despite what they said.

I mean, Critical level 1 turned KH2 into one of the best games ever. You can't brush that off. Made the entire game shine, made it far more satisfying and rewarding. It also added quite a bit of content.
Not brushing it off or saying one FM is better than the other, just saying that KH1FM interests me the most from a rebalancing standpoint. Everything in KH1FM was re-tuned, from Sora, Donald and Goofy's stats, to critical hit rates, to pretty much every keyblade in the game, and so on. They almost kind of approached it like a balance update for a fighting game, and I find it fascinating to see that kind of thinking applied to an action RPG.

Narroo

Not brushing it off or saying one FM is better than the other, just saying that KH1FM interests me the most from a rebalancing standpoint. Everything in KH1FM was re-tuned, from Sora, Donald and Goofy's stats, to critical hit rates, to pretty much every keyblade in the game, and so on. They almost kind of approached it like a balance update for a fighting game, and I find it fascinating to see that kind of thinking applied to an action RPG.

The funny thing is, in practice I found KH1FM to be more unbalanced than the original. As far as keyblades and equipment go, they exacerbated balancing problems to make certain pieces of equipment less viable than old ones. For example, I hope you like the Rumbling Rose! The Metal Chocobo is even more useless- the Olympia is more dominate than before, and for accessories there's really less you're going to be equipping.

Then there's the extra skills, like Leaf Shield, which are rather overpowered.

Honestly, I actually like the original version of the game better; I wish I could play that in HD, letterboxed, with the new music.

batbeg

Hope this isn't fucked I preordered for me and the girlfriend to play for the first time ever. I played a bit of the first one when I was a teenager but that was it.

Top Bottom