• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enlightened Season 2 |OT| Even agents of change get cancelled sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were going to renew it based on season one's lukewarm reception and even worse ratings, cancellinf what is now being widely referred to as "the best show on TV", just does not make sense for me.

Modern day HBO renews everything for a second season no matter what the ratings are, so I don't think that has any bearing on whether or not we'll get a season three.

Just assume it's dead and be pleasantly surprised if it's not. Less suspense that way, at least for me.

Exactly. I'll be ecstatic if it comes back, but I'm not holding out that much hope.

Clevinger

Why the hell would anyone want to see more of Lena Dunham's ample ass? That show is like low rent Sex in the City, in my opinion.

It gets better ratings than Enlightened, though they're still awful (for reference, this season of Girls is getting in the same ratings ballpark of How To Make It In America when it was cancelled), and the whole criticsphere loves to endlessly talk about it, good and bad, and it's the current comedy "it" show that's sweeping up a bunch of awards.

It gets better ratings than Enlightened, though they're still awful, and the whole criticsphere loves to endlessly talk about it, good and bad.

Yep. That's why I'm not convinced that Enlightened's glowing press will get it a third season. Girls gets higher ratings, more press, and though it pains me to type this I could see it winning an Emmy.

Bladenic

I wish HBO would just make a decision. Have they ever kept a show's fate hidden until after it finished airing? And if so for how long? Nowadays I feel like most HBO shows get renewed mid season. If they don't, then they're most likely gonna end up cancelled. Of course it may be a situation of "Enlightened was sure to be cancelled but the strong feedback and campaign has bumped the decision to 'maybe".

I fucking hate these serial dating shows. What does Girls do that Sex and the City or Entourage hasn't done before? What's the fucking appeal of Girls? It can't be the writing. I refuse to believe that the writing comes close to what is produced on Enlightened, or even Curb Your Enthusiasm, for that matter. Howard Stern was right about Dunham. She's a fucking pig. At least with Roseanne, she had alot of wit to back her up. What does Lena bring to the table? Vulnerability? Cry me a river! She looks like Jonah Hill in a dress.

Sorry. It frustrates me when decent shows are put to the curb in favor of crap. Girls would never survive if Sex and the City were still on the air. That show cries mediocrity, in my opinion. It thrives, because it came along during one of HBO's dryspells. It's like John Cena's popularity during the post WWE attitude era. Does any wrestling fan really think that he would be able to bust through into the mainstream during Steve Austin or The Rock's era?

Klocker

maybe they are testing season 3 story ideas to see if they float?

I know that I can not get my GF to watch the show as Laura's character is too "annoying" to her. of course she loves Girls and I can't watch it for a minute. It may hit too close to home for her sometimes actually and Girls allows her a diversion of reality.

anaron

I fucking hate these serial dating shows. What does Girls do that Sex and the City or Entourage hasn't done before? What's the fucking appeal of Girls? It can't be the writing. I refuse to believe that the writing comes close to what is produced on Enlightened, or even Curb Your Enthusiasm, for that matter. Howard Stern was right about Dunham. She's a fucking pig. At least with Roseanne, she had alot of wit to back her up. What does Lena bring to the table? Vulnerability? Cry me a river! She looks like Jonah Hill in a dress.

Geez, way to invalidate your criticism by focusing on her physical appearance.

I have my major issues with that show, but can we maybe refrain from bashing it in this thread?

It's not about her appearance. It's the predictable formula that the show relies on. It's already been done before in movies and in television shows before it -- Sex and the City in particular. I have nothing against her appearance, and it has no collective bearing on my opinion. I'm merely throwing her weight in frustration over the whole situation. Again, it really comes across as poor man's Sex and the City.

anaron

It's not about her appearance. It's the predictable formula that the show relies on. It's already been done before in movies and in television shows before it -- Sex and the City in particular. I have nothing against her appearance, and it has no collective bearing on my opinion. I'm merely throwing her weight in frustration over the whole situation. Again, it really comes across as poor man's Sex and the City.
Yeah, which is super tacky, shallow and pointless as it has nothing to do with the show itself. If people could divorce how they feel about Dunham's physical appearance and focus exclusively on the show's content, the criticism would be much stronger for it.

But enough about Girls, it receives enough attention as is. :X

Bladenic

Bringing up her appearance negates any of your other criticisms. And the show is not a poor man's Sex and the City because it's literally nothing like that show save for having 4 girls as the main characters.

Empty

girls dominating conversation even in the enlightened ot is pretty amusing :p

anyway how am i meant to enjoy this weekend without being able to look forward to a new enlightened episode at the end. grrrr.

destrudo

Sorry. It frustrates me when decent shows are put to the curb in favor of crap. Girls would never survive if Sex and the City were still on the air. That show cries mediocrity, in my opinion. It thrives, because it came along during one of HBO's dryspells. It's like John Cena's popularity during the post WWE attitude era. Does any wrestling fan really think that he would be able to bust through into the mainstream during Steve Austin or The Rock's era?

I actually like Girls. Not nearly as much as Enlightened, but it's decent filler. But really, there's no point in hating on one show because of the lack of ratings for another. It's not as if Girls is stealing Enlightened's ratings, and even if it was that's the preference of the viewers. So hate on people for not watching the show instead, lol.

When did HBO announce that Enlightened was renewed for season 2 after season 1 wrapped?
When do you expect we'll hear what HBO's decision will be regarding if it's picked up for season 3?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
When did HBO announce that Enlightened was renewed for season 2 after season 1 wrapped?
When do you expect we'll hear what HBO's decision will be regarding if it's picked up for season 3?

Season wrapped on December 12, 2011 and was renewed on the 20th of the same month.

Maybe sometime next week?

How long do HBO shows take to get on services like itunes/amazon video? I decided to go ahead and watch season 1
through my fingers
and I'm really enjoying this, despite the heavy secondhand embarrassment.

What are the chances that this may be greenlit for a final season like The Big C? At least that show is being given the chance to give itself a proper ending?

What are the chances that this may be greenlit for a final season like The Big C? At least that show is being given the chance to give itself a proper ending?

Who knows, but the season 2 finale of Enlightened would work perfectly as a series finale, so I'm not sure why HBO would feel the need to renew it for closure.

How long do HBO shows take to get on services like itunes/amazon video? I decided to go ahead and watch season 1
through my fingers
and I'm really enjoying this, despite the heavy secondhand embarrassment.

HBO usually doesn't make them available until they're released on DVD. And HBO doesn't usually release DVD sets until 8-10 months after a season airs (normally to coincide with the airing of the next season), so I wouldn't expect anything soon.

But if the show is being canned, would it make sense to release it asap?

I can't imagine this show moves enough dvds/blu-rays/downloads that when it's released would even matter. The few diehards who love it will buy it whenever it comes out, while everyone else will continue not even knowing it exists.

I can't imagine this show moves enough dvds/blu-rays/downloads that when it's released would even matter. The few diehards who love it will buy it whenever it comes out, while everyone else will continue not even knowing it exists.

So what do you think is happening right now as we speak? Pretend that you're Lady Justice, blindfolded and armed with a sword in one hand, and a tilting scale on the other. What are the arguments going to be from HBO's side?

What are the negative weighing against Mike White? What are the leveraging points weighing in his favor? Do you suppose he has the season 3 outline drafted and ready to pitch to HBO when he's given the call to make his argument? It's my understanding that he had the entire season 1 already written when he and Laura Dern were pitching the series to HBO.

Also, I've heard rumors that he would like to cast Laura Linney in the role as Amy's sister in season 3.

I remember when fans of Carnivale organized to get the show renewed for a third season. It didn't happen and I'm sure that it's high production values were a key issue for not being renewed, but I don't think that Enlightened is budget heavy like other shows like Game of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire. At the very least, it would be nice if White is given the chance to finish off the series with a final season, if that's the best hope that we got.

inm8num2

tumblr_mhpqlqwr6s1s2ohego1_500.gif

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I was looking at the time and when I saw how it late it was, I thought I'd missed Enlightened. And then I remembered.

I need this show to return.

Empty

the longer the wait the less optimistic i get. it feels like they would want to announce it quickly to capitalize on the wave of goodwill and positive press the show was getting at the end of the second season.

i'm not knowledgeable about how these companies work though so hopefully that's just me talking nonsense.

You think Mike Judge has all the scripts completed yet for season 3? Apparently, he had drafted the entire first season before the show was even greenlit. I just finished watching Citizen Ruth for the first time in years. Damn, that movie gets better with age. A real subversive comedy/satire that was ahead of its time. I really don't want this show to get the axe. Laura Dern is such an underrated revelation that it's a crime.

Clevinger

You think Mike Judge has all the scripts completed yet for season 3? Apparently, he had drafted the entire first season before the show was even greenlit.

You've got the wrong Mike there, buddy. Enlightened is made by Mike White.

And no, I don't think he has. Pretty sure I've seen him talk about how he's glad the season length is short because he didn't have a lot of time to write season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom