• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enlightened Season 2 |OT| Even agents of change get cancelled sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

I really, really, really hope Amy gets some personal victories. If she just gets shit on by everyone, I'm going to be very sad. :/

Empty

yeah despite being super excited for the finale i have really ominous feelings about what's going to happen to amy, tyler and levi.

prove me wrong plz

anaron

Caught up on Season 2 and to be honest, I enjoyed Season 1 a lot more. Maybe it's because there was so much focus on the world outside of Abbadon, they barely spent any time on the geeks or the people upstairs.

See, I love the Cogentiva crew so that aspect is fine with me. I would have loved the people upstairs focus had it been on Damon, Judy, Krista or Janice. In S1, they were the faces of Amy's Abaddon life and sharing that past with her, it made everything extra personal and heartbreaking. I know Chip Esten is on Nashville but wasn't season 2 of Enlightened filmed before production on that show started? I need to see that fucking douche!

And in general, the first season's slow, deeply personal guiding with the floating episode to episode design deeply greatly contributed to making that viewing experience all the more unique and astounding.

But I'm waiting on tonight's finale to decide how I feel about "preferring" (I really do love them both) one over the other.

Salon: HBO, please renew “Enlightened”!

Emily Nussbaum: The Hummingbird Theory

Meanwhile, I’d been obsessing, like many other TV critics, about the fate of the great HBO series “Enlightened,” whose main character, played by Laura Dern, possesses a similar intensity—and provokes a similar anxiety. You could see Amy Jellicoe as a gender flip on Larry David: she’s another Californian liberal who wants, and fails, to be good. At first glance, “Enlightened” looks cynical, a caustic satire like “Curb” and “Veep.” But Mike White’s show is a more radical creation, in part because Amy, like Sue, is a heroine. This is true despite the fact that she makes viewers, and everyone who meets her, wildly uncomfortable: Amy’s inner vision of herself as a chill New Age seeker is rarely matched by her outward appearance. She’s needy, she’s manipulative, she’s passive-aggressive. Yet despite her flaws, her heart is pure. Her idealism is real. When she becomes a corporate whistle-blower, it’s apparent that Amy’s most agitating qualities are inseparable from her capacity to be a crusader, however clumsy and unformed. In Sunday’s finale, when she barrels into the repercussions of her own actions, watching “Enlightened” feels something like hearing a blast of cymbals, a wake-up call. It’s one of the most powerful episodes of TV this year, a perfect ending to a perfect season.

inm8num2

I wonder if HBO is timing their announcement for tonight after the premiere, or tomorrow?

I think they already know what they're going to do, but they want the uncertainty to bring in more viewers.

anaron

I wonder if HBO is timing their announcement for tonight after the premiere, or tomorrow?

I think they already know what they're going to do, but they want the uncertainty to bring in more viewers.

I've been thinking the same. I honestly think they have deliberately stayed quiet to test what sort of reaction Enlightened would garner and whether it actually could gain any sufficient buzz and press. Since the show's future uncertainty forced its viewers to scream about it, people are more aware of the show now than ever, and it's all been done through the campaigning of critics and fans.

inm8num2

Yea, exactly.

While there has been some nice hype and awareness, it just doesn't seem like it was enough. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we're going to receive good news.

Then again I don't know what's on HBO's slate for next fall and spring, so maybe there will be room on the schedule and in the budget for another 8 episodes of Enlightened.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
While there has been some nice hype and awareness, it just doesn't seem like it was enough. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we're going to receive good news.

I think the opposite will happen. Everybody is pleading with HBO for the show to be renewed and critics are heaping an almost hyperbolic amount of praise on this season. Outside of huge ratings successes, this type of reaction is pretty much what HBO lives for. Like anaron, I think that they've been drawing the renewal announcement out in order to gain the maximum amount of exposure/attention. I think it will be renewed.

anaron

Yea, exactly.

Then again I don't know what's on HBO's slate for next fall and spring, so maybe there will be room on the schedule and in the budget for another 8 episodes of Enlightened.

Maybe I'm in denial, but after this whole thing, I just don't see the show being cancelled.

But if it is....

so6HBMf.gif

inm8num2

I think the opposite will happen. Everybody is pleading with HBO for the show to be renewed and critics are heaping an almost hyperbolic amount of praise on this season. Outside of huge ratings successes, this type of reaction is pretty much what HBO lives for. Like anaron, I think that they've been drawing the renewal announcement out in order to gain the maximum amount of exposure/attention. I think it will be renewed.

What the critics should have done is threaten HBO by telling them something like, "If you don't renew Enlightened we're not going to continue to heap ungodly amounts of unearned praise on Lena Dunham and Girls."

Great finale - part of me hopes this is not the end, but I'd also feel satisfied if it were. I think most of the characters overcame their major hurdles, and while there would be plenty of aftermath to explore, the main story arcs have a good sense of closure. Now I just need closure on the actual fate of the show itself.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The bit where
Charles Ziden calls Amy a cunt
completely floored me and destroyed any sympathy I had for him.

anaron

The bit where
Charles Ziden calls Amy a cunt
completely floored me and destroyed any sympathy I had for him.

Totally. And my god, what a perfect thing Mike White did there by including a callback to the pilot and having it be a role reversal of meltdown Amy with Szidon.

"He seems upset."

Perfect.

Bladenic

Totally. And my god, what a perfect thing Mike White did there by including a callback to the pilot and having it be a role reversal of meltdown Amy with Szidon.

"He seems upset."

Perfect.

Indeed, that whole scene was just... Too much. Too perfect.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I thought the same thing! This was just a really great episode. I wish I didn't see the promo and clips, as three minutes of a twenty-five minute episode is a decent amount, but I was completely engaged the entire time, and I was starting to have heart palpitations. I really think this episode showcases all of Amy's personality, from her want to do good to her naiveté and narcissism. That said, I think a lot of the reason this episode worked so well is because it was being built up to throughout the season (and to a much lesser extent, last season), and was an excellent culmination of everything Amy's worked towards. I've enjoyed season two quite a bit, but I wouldn't want season three to be even more plot-driven. I thought this episode was a decent ending to the series, and while I love the show and would obviously love more of it, I'd be okay with this being how the show goes out, and I'm not all too sure that a third season would feel satisfying and not just extraneous.

Bladenic

I thought the same thing! This was just a really great episode. I wish I didn't see the promo and clips, as three minutes of a twenty-five minute episode is a decent amount, but I was completely engaged the entire time, and I was starting to have heart palpitations. I really think this episode showcases all of Amy's personality, from her want to do good to her naiveté and narcissism. That said, I think a lot of the reason this episode worked so well is because it was being built up to throughout the season (and to a much lesser extent, last season), and was an excellent culmination of everything Amy's worked towards. I've enjoyed season two quite a bit, but I wouldn't want season three to be even more plot-driven. I thought this episode was a decent ending to the series, and while I love the show and would obviously love more of it, I'd be okay with this being how the show goes out, and I'm not all too sure that a third season would feel satisfying and not just extraneous.

You really feel that way? I think there is SO much left to show and tell.

anaron

And can we talk about the Krista scene?

That might've been the show's crowing moment for discomfort, as she heads to accuse what is obviously the wrong person. And then the crushing sting in having Krista's husband fucking throw her out of the room. I mean, it was obviously warranted, but it was probably the most aggressive way someone has dealt with Amy and it just broke my heart to see her (once again) make a complete ass out of herself to the point of sealing her perception as complete lunatic to these people.

Oh I think there is too. But it definitely functioned as a series finale should it be cancelled.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I definitely think there are stories that can be told, I just don't know if there's an entire season of them. They can certainly explore the repercussions of Amy's actions and her relationship with Levi and Jeff, but I don't know where her character arc would go, and I like having things open-ended. I like that the season ends with Amy's life now being new and exciting and not tied down to external things, and I think that's how the show should end, rather than with a definitive scene showing Amy's life in order.

I might just not be particularly imaginative though. I'd obviously be thrilled if the show were to get renewed.

And can we talk about the Krista scene?

That might've been the show's crowing moment for discomfort, as she heads to accuse what is obviously the wrong person. And then the crushing sting in having Krista's husband fucking throw her out of the room. I mean, it was obviously warranted, but it was probably the most aggressive way someone has dealt with Amy and it just broke my heart to see her (once again) make a complete ass out of herself to the point of sealing her perception as complete lunatic to these people.
I actually cringed as she started walking into the hospital. It was such a deliciously uncomfortable scene.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The idea for the third season would be an Abbadonn versus Jellicoe lawsuit where all of the people that we have met up to now would take sides. [It may be an] even better "Rashomon" of who Amy is -- is she this manic-depressive, bipolar, crazy person who’s done this unethical thing to this company? Or has she done something heroic and everyone is now [involved] in a legal way? And that includes Jeff, Dermot Mulroney's character, and Tyler and Dougie and Krista. [It would] ultimately be playing with what’s true and whose truth it is, the way that any lawsuit does, and using the same satirical but hopefully observational eye within a new institution and [seeing] how justice is played out in our legal world.
I'm sort of split on the idea. I kind of feel like Amy needs a break.

anaron

I'm sort of split on the idea. I kind of feel like Amy needs a break.

Me too. At least, I'd like the show to become a balancing act of season one & two's structure, with a return to being a little more low-key.

I think by-design it can't really be AS plot-ey as this season was though, so I'm optimistic it'll turn out well. The idea that
Amy will be let in to see what others think about her is enticing as hell

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Me too. At least, I'd like the show to become a balancing act of season one & two's structure, with a return to being a little more low-key.
Same here. I don't want things to ramp up even more. I feel like this episode was a release of all the tension that was building up, and I don't want that to all immediately spike up again.

anaron

Who else was completely devastated when Amy looked up in the elevator, hoping to see the turtle and instead just receives harsh reality in the elevator ceiling?

Bladenic

Who else was completely devastated when Amy looked up in the elevator, hoping to see the turtle and instead just receives harsh reality in the elevator ceiling?

I actually had to think about why she looked up for a second. Then it hit me. Truly masterful TV.

Fumoffu

Neo Member

Yes! That was fantastic!

"I'm just a woman who's over it."

CHILLS

Might have to be the best quote to sum it all up.

What an incredible finale, giving so much but leaving much more to be wanted. Love that Tyler had his ending :) I felt so empty when the credits started to roll. All that and Amy gets a side column on the front page but am I glad Helen smiled and seemed proud.

inm8num2

I'm almost in tears. So beautiful.

And the final monologue, about emerging from hell and into the light, resonated a bit with what's going on in my life right now.

Mike and Laura, you magnificent bastards. Job well done. Kudos. Salutations.

inm8num2

Best episode of the season along with the Levi rehap episode.

Oh man that episode was perfect. I showed it to a friend who hadn't seen the show before, and although it's an unconventional episode for the show in that it takes place away from Amy, my friend was totally sold.

Snake

I thought it was good. Very good in fact. Good enough that I probably won't cry if the series does not get renewed, though I know the show could justify its continuing if given the chance.

inm8num2

It really was a perfect season finale.

I'm not sure if I would want to see more Enlightened after this. Well, I'm sure they have some great ideas in mind, but hot damn that was one hell of a closing chapter in a book.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Very good season finale, though I thought that it worked really well as a series finale should it come to that. The final shot of Amy walking down the street was just beautiful.

Amy's meeting with the Abbadon executives was glorious. The walk to the meeting, the meeting itself, and then the walk to the elevator really were just perfect. Perfect.

I about cringed myself to death when Amy went to the hospital to accuse Krista of leaking the story to Abbadon. That might've been the most groan inducing scene in the entire series. I had my hands covering up most of my face for the entire scene.

I didn't even get that until now. :( I was wondering why she was looking up at the ceiling of the elevator./dense

Empty

that was superb. very very satisfying.

amy in the head office. the entire scene. amy helping out tyler despite being "betrayed" by him. amy with levi on the steps. walking down the street feeling big and happy. so beautiful.

i was a little worried last week that the show would crumble under how much was left for the finale, but white making it such a pure amy episode worked fine and allowed it to deal with all that plotty stuff in the style that i wanted. i mean i'd have liked more cognetiva and tyler stuff, but as lunch said it's a perfect encapsulation of amy as a person in thirty minutes as well as a great resolution to what they've built up to this season.

i did think the symmetry with zaiden in the lift was a bit too cute, though looking up for the turtle was perfection.

I about cringed myself to death when Amy went to the hospital to accuse Krista of leaking the story to Abbadon. That might've been the most groan inducing scene in the entire series. I had my hands covering up most of my face for the entire scene.

i had to pause for a minute to mentally prepare myself when i knew what was about to happen. so painful.

after she calls tyler that little oh no oh no and turn around to look at the hospital from dern was such a perfect expression of pure regret too. when you fuck up and realize it how near impossible it is to rectify it ;_;

looking forward to krista and amy in season 3 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom