• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enlightened Season 2 |OT| Even agents of change get cancelled sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

i don't understand. why did they go up for episode 3 so much then fall down again?

hype from critics over consider levi?
but surely people wouldn't watch that and be all like 'yeah this sucks i'm never watching this again'.

ughhhhhh anyway

Snake

I am inclined to say that this episode was the best in the series. Whereas, overall, there is more value in what Amy's character has built up over the long-term, I could not help but feel this episode was exceptionally powerful.

Dennis

Banned
The Levi episode is still the best since the episode about Amys mom from Season One but this was a strong episode.

anaron

Freakin' ratings. Every critic needs to do an editorial on this show asap.

I still don't think it's going to go away though...it's winning over a lot of people and by letting it live to season 2, it gets harder and harder to cancel it.

I watched the new episode of Girls and was disgusted and then watched this new episode and was blown away. What an awesome episode, and considering a lot of people's personalities here on GAF I could see Tyler story hitting home to a lot of members here.

basefree

This season keeps getting better. I thought the last episode was brilliant. I love that they've now had an episode from Helen's perspective, Levi and now Tyler.

anaron

More than anything, I need Season 3 to exist so we can meet Bethany. It scares me there's that tiny possibility we won't.

anaron

I'm especially excited for tomorrow's episode because it seems to be returning to something season two has sort of left behind, which is, Amy's more interpersonal focus. There really hasn't been enough of Helen or Levi for my tastes. (though it's obviously understandable in his case)

Empty

i like this answer a lot

There’s something very touching to me about someone almost communicating to themselves in some way -- trying to come to some deeper understanding of yourself and having compassion for yourself. And Amy is a perfect vessel, in a sense, for someone who has these grand, grand dreams of what she’s going to accomplish.

But the little victory is what happens. You know, each episode is not some big change, but she comes to some wisdom about what her expectations were. I think of “Annie Hall” at the end, where she walks away. The relationship didn’t work and yet he’s looking at her as she walks away and he says, “I’m lucky to know her and she’s such a great person.”

Something about that feels so true to me. You never in life have that moment of just pure connection with someone else. It’s always, you know, you watch them walk away and you are ruminating on the relationship and how it matters to you. There’s something bittersweet about it because you’re still this separate, solitary person –- [but] there’s something beautiful about how we always come back to ourselves. Being able to be comfortable with that is what I think life is about.

also "we're struggling for our lives" :(

And a Consider Janice episode.

i like increasing the world but no. she's too much fun to hate i don't want to feel bad for her.

unless it's like anaron says where she's even more of a bad person in that episode in which case go for it.

ivysaur12

Banned
lolololol

yes

and have the extra insight be her just being an asshole

Consider Connie or bust.

Forgot to comment on last week's episode. Finally caught up -- it was beautiful. We've all been there, those moments where we put ourselves out there and exist in the eyes of another. It was also so great to see Molly Shannon in a more down to earth role.

(I forgot Mike White created that awful Cracked Up with Molly back in the day.)

anaron

Holy shit...best episode of season 2 so far, for me at least.

I nearly broke down during Amy's panic attack and Helen's awkward approaching comfort. And then the baby talk! ALL THE AWARDS TO ENLIGHTENED

anaron

AV Club review: A

Fittingly, “All I Ever Wanted” gives off an infectious version of that sensation; it’s tempting to call this the best episode of the series due to the way all of its various elements rise to the occasion of Amy’s perceived triumph. And like Amy’s elation, that might be a premature evaluation—but in the immediate afterglow of the episode, the performances Haynes drew from the actors, White’s winning dialogue, big laughs like “Mom, he’s at the door—I can’t get a fucking haircut!”, the way the camera meditates on certain images (the skyline painting in the diner; the way the lens follows Amy’s hand as it traces Jeff’s side, slowly shifting the focus to her wedding ring), and the subtle parallels to “The Weekend” all meld together to form the image of a TV series at the apex of its powers. And while the whole thing floats along on Amy’s jubilation, consequence hangs around the edges of the episode. As Amy and Jeff finally head out for dinner, the sun sets on the honeymoon period of their quest to take down Abaddon. And there’s Levi, with more boundaries separating him and Amy: Jeff’s car physically, Jeff metaphorically. Like those emails, he’s there, a ticking time bomb primed to go off. So accustomed to everything going wrong, Amy never could’ve thought that everything going right could cause so much trouble.

Empty

oh my god it keeps getting better. maybe i was just in an emotional state but i found myself tearing up multiple times - the voiceover with amy and jeff's romance because it was so
happy and beautiful, levi's letter and wanting to live which was so inspiring and sad too and then a little bit more helen comforting amy at the end.

i hope amy stops being so mean to her mother now
i hope levi's progress doesn't get undone by amy moving on
i hope tyler's relationship doesn't get destroyed
i hope amy can be happy despite all those other wishes

man this show. wow. the complexity of each characters relationship. the way it's shot and the use of music. laura dern and luke wilson's acting. sorry for the stupid hyperbole stream i just love it so much and am finding its themes incredibly resonant in my life right now which is making it even more affecting.

inm8num2

This show is hitting its stride. It had better be renewed.

Such an amazing episode and season.

Just can't shake the feeling that Jeff is working against Amy somehow.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
At the start, I really felt some of Amy's delusions, especially as the montage in the guy's room played. She idealizes things too much.

I wanted to call Levi an asshole, but at the same time there's something about him that you wish could work out.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But yeah, every week Enlightened leaves me speechless and feeling very emotional. The scenes with Levi were heart wrenching.

Empty

At the start, I really felt some of Amy's delusions, especially as the montage in the guy's room played. She idealizes things too much.

I wanted to call Levi an asshole, but at the same time there's something about him that you wish could work out.

the most delusional bit was when she tells tyler that his new girlfriend might come round to finding what he did courageous :(

that was the frustrating side of her idealism, i found the love montage to be such endearing naivety. just the purity of her emotions in that situation <3

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Same here. It doesn't really feel like he's on her side; like he's just pacifying her, especially when he tells her that she's like Julian Assange. It also seems like Amy is way more into him than he's into her.

ivysaur12

Banned
Another incredible episode but I am saddened it might have to come to an end soon, there is so much more to tell such as the Abaddon fallout :(

I realize that we were given a gift of a second season and that there would be practical reasons for it not being renewed. That being said, this is such a fucking important show. I would be furious and seriously disheartened. There's a lot of good TV, but very little special TV.

inm8num2

I get this vibe too, he feels deflective whenever Amy brings up how the article(s) are going -- I feel like his just using her but we'll see.

He's definitely using her. I just can't tell if Jeff is using Amy to catch a big story and advance his career, or if he somehow has connections to Abaddon and is doing the opposite of what Amy thinks.

The way he keeps talking in hyperbolic fashion about the story, saying how big and huge it is, but without specifics, tells me its the latter. Amy is going to have her heart broken while due to being stabbed in the back, I fear.

Bladenic

Wow. I have nothing to say that hasn't been already stated, but WOW. The scene between Amy and her mother near the end, I was in tears. The preview for next week has me on the edge, I can't wait to see how it all ends.

Please let this show be renewed.

anaron

Speculation (sort of spoiler) based on the season 2 trailer:

Beyond the show hinting at it, you can make out Amy freaking the fuck out out in the middle of traffic in one scene, sort of confirming another breakdown. I'm worried what causes i., Levi relapsing? The plan completely backfiring and a Jeff betrayal?

Regardless, things are about to get really bad for *someone* on the show.

Does anyone have a link to next episode's promo?

anaron

It seems Jezebel is finally paying attention to the show
8 Reasons You Need to Watch Enlightened Immediately (As in Yesterday) by Laura Beck

Enlightened is the HBO comedy-drama series that comes on every Sunday night after Girls. You might not have heard of it because it's not Girls, or because you don't want to have anything to do with Girls. Either way, it seems Enlightened's renewal status is far from guaranteed, and that's a shame because it's possibly the best show currently on television.

also this

7. The finale of Season 2 is supposed to be mindblowing.
Like, the best-television-ever levels of greatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom