• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eon Productions allegedly mooting a James Bond Cinematic Universe

Korigama

How many (attempted) Cinematic Universes are there already?
This would make for the fourth such attempt to get a taste of that sweet Marvel cash.

-DC Extended Universe
-Legendary's MonsterVerse (Godzilla and King Kong)
-Universal's Dark Universe
-this proposed Bond Cinematic Universe

Fury451

Banned
What are they basing this fever on?

The only one that's done it consistently well and successfully is the MCU.

The DCCU is -maybe- finally on its way, all the other ones have exploded on the runway.

SpaceWolf

Banned
If Roger Moore was the Batman 66 of 007 movies then Die Another Day was the Batman & Robin of 007 movies. Basically a cartoon.

With Christian Bale/Daniel Craig related franchise reboots in 2005/2006, which dramatically overhaul their respective series in a much more mature and artistic direction?

I can dig it.

LordRaptor

Ehhhhhh.... it could potentially work? Especially if you roll with James Bond 007 being a codename not a character, and can reimagine various bonds throughout the ages and what happened to them.
Like The Rock is an unofficial follow up to "what happened to Sean Connery 007?"

Moneypenny - An office worker who spends her days and nights pining for the man who keeps making sexual remarks at her at her workplace.

I mean.... that's basically 50 Shades Of Grey.

Tom Nook

Q: The Younger Years

This

Also, I don't mind a live-action:
MV5BMTQ2NjkzNTA1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzM1Mjg4NA@@._V1_UY1200_CR85,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

inm8num2

Just give me a crossover spy movie with Craig Bond and Cruise Hunt. Throw in Damon Bourne while you're at it.

Come to think of it we're overdue for a Martin Campbell Bond reboot/revitalization.

Fox Mulder

Die Another Day was just the worst..... Ugh.

I'd actually watch it again before spectre though.

At least die another day is a fucking dumb cartoon of a spy film. Invisible cars, sun death ray, dna resequencing North Koreans, don't pull it out James. The worst thing is that god awful Madonna ear torture while watching Bond being tortured.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Rita Around sometimes asks me if I dream. "Of course I dream", I tell her. "Everybody dreams". "But what do you dream about?", she'll ask. "The same thing everybody dreams about", I tell her. "I dream about where I'm going." She always laughs at that. "But you're not going anywhere, you're just shagging about." That's not true. Not anymore. I have a new destination. My journey is the same as yours, the same as anyone's. It's taken me so many years, so many lifetimes, but at last I know where I'm going. Where I've always been going. Home. The long way round.

ALL-SIX-James-Bonds.jpg

Can't wait for Day Of The Bond where The Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Bond team up and remember that dark day that Bond ever faced..,

DeathyBoy

Banned
Fourth probably would refuse to show up, so they'll introduce a brand new Bond we've never heard of played by Jeremy Irons.

He was the Bond when it wasn't possible to get it right.

Shit writes itself. Given how old Craig looks they won't need to age him for Time of the Bond.

001 through 006, some of them can even be women, then the Avengers style movie that has James Bond leading them in a fight against...something big.

Ridley327

They weren't already? There's never really been any indication that the movies aren't already all in the same universe, has there?

Prior to the Craig run, the films operated with something of a fluid sense of continuity. The Connery run was probably the best in that regard since SPECTRE was the chief antagonist in nearly all of the films, but by and large, they did establish some static elements that remained consistent, like Felix Leiter and the existence of Teresa Bond. Arguably, the Brosnan run is where things get kind of wacky on that front as they threw out a lot of stuff from the previous films (trading Felix Leiter for Jack Rose, having a woman in the role of M), but we're still under the impression that it's the same Bond, same Moneypenny, same MI6 and definitely the same Q.

The fact that most Bond movies were self contained was the best part about them.

Remember how awful retroactively tying all the previous Craig movies to Specter was?

I still think Spectre *could* have been brilliant and subverted expectations hard by having the it's-all-connected stuff be a load of crap that Blofeld uses to manipulate Bond (still thirsty for revenge over Vesper and M) into killing off all the leadership of Quantum, thus putting Blofeld into undisputed power over the entire organization and basically ending the film on a note where Bond created his own worst enemy by handing him control of the criminal underworld on a platter.

But good luck getting the Broccolis to back a Bond movie that doesn't end on a victorious note.

This might finally be what the franchise needs
to completely torpedo Barbara Brocolli and co and force them to sell the rights to Bond to somebody with a clue.

I still think Spectre *could* have been brilliant and subverted expectations hard by having the it's-all-connected stuff be a load of crap that Blofeld uses to manipulate Bond (still thirsty for revenge over Vesper and M) into killing off all the leadership of Quantum, thus putting Blofeld into undisputed power over the entire organization and basically ending the film on a note where Bond created his own worst enemy by handing him control of the criminal underworld on a platter.

But good luck getting the Broccolis to back a Bond movie that doesn't end on a victorious note.

OHMSS had a bad ending and Skyfall's ending wasn't that triumphant either(as much as they tried to give it a victorious tone)

OHMSS had a bad ending and Skyfall's ending wasn't that triumphant either(as much as they tried to give it a victorious tone)

OHMSS had a bad ending?

Is that the general consensus?

I love that ending. It's the fact that they never were able to follow up on it that is the problem.

Sulik2

The only Bond cinematic universe I want is one that crosses over with the Bourne movies or one that lets of see 007 hand off the name to the next Bond.

Mivey

Finally someone telling the stories of 001 to 006. And then they team together to fight aliens that attack New York.

Ridley327

OHMSS had a bad ending?

Is that the general consensus?

I love that ending. It's the fact that they never were able to follow up on it that is the problem.

No, they mean a bad ending in the sense that the good guys do not prevail and the villains get away.

They did follow up on it, but the problem was they decided to wrap it up in the entirety of the opening for Diamonds are Forever. It's strangely disconnected from the rest of the film, considering how Bond responds to the reappearance of Blofeld later on in the story.

Pluto

To do a universe don't they need more than one character people actually give a shit about? I don't think Leiter, Q and Moneypenny are a big draw.

Peru

You CAN't fault the Broccolis for this.

You can't criticize this.

You can't say they're jumping on a bandwagon.

Bond is THE original film franchise. It's the blueprint. They've been going since 1962 and kept it successful and relevant. They're allowed to do whatever franchise they want.

Only thing I want is more Bonds. The breaks are too long.

SFenton

This would make for the fourth such attempt to get a taste of that sweet Marvel cash.

-DC Extended Universe
-Legendary's MonsterVerse (Godzilla and King Kong)
-Universal's Dark Universe
-this proposed Bond Cinematic Universe

At least Monsterverse is following the Marvel approach of build everything separately with a tiny thread to hang it together.

DC's only surviving because... it's DC. It's going to make money. At least Wonder Woman was good.

You also have the proposed Hasbroverse, and all the LEGO movies seem to be connected by recurring characters, but there isn't really a "Legoverse". Then Hanna-Barbera announced a universe for Scooby-Doo/Jetsons, which I think is stupid.

Echoing worst "me too" trend of recent times.

Wish more movies would be like Unbreakable and Split and come up with interesting, unique ways to tie the films together and then come for a sequel (which is kind of what Monsterverse is approaching it as).

kunonabi

Prior to the Craig run, the films operated with something of a fluid sense of continuity. The Connery run was probably the best in that regard since SPECTRE was the chief antagonist in nearly all of the films, but by and large, they did establish some static elements that remained consistent, like Felix Leiter and the existence of Teresa Bond. Arguably, the Brosnan run is where things get kind of wacky on that front as they threw out a lot of stuff from the previous films (trading Felix Leiter for Jack Rose, having a woman in the role of M), but we're still under the impression that it's the same Bond, same Moneypenny, same MI6 and definitely the same Q.

Wasn't the opening psych evaluation in the car a result of his going rogue in License to Kill?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
honestly if they had thought of this like 5 years ago and made an M movie with Judi Dench where she has to trap and sneak and shoot the fuck out of a bunch of people trying to assassinate certain members of the 00 club ... i dunno.. that woulda been fuckin tits.

Ralph Fiennes honestly wouldn't be bad to watch murder some scrubs in gentleman assassin fashion.

Also a Bridget Jones Diary style thing with moneypenny would be fuckin hilarious.

All bonds past and present joint forces to tackle spectre, North Korean dude, Elliot carver and Sean bean when boris ( the invincible) creates a multiverse portal device.

finley83

Banned
Ok how about 009 who only kills people with hammers, they could get Charles Dance and bring him out of retirement when the Queen is stolen

Or 001 who is a baby

Or 000 who is a ghost

So many ideas they could use, it'll be great

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Ok how about 009 who only kills people with hammers, they could get Charles Dance and bring him out of retirement when the Queen is stolen

Or 001 who is a baby

So many ideas they could use, it'll be great

I want a dog Bond.

OO-K9

The problem with most other Cinematic Universes other than Marvel is that, everybody wants a big money-making Universe, nobody wants to take the time and effort to SLOWLY build it. Everybody wants the quick profit. It took years to get to the first Avengers movie, and a lot of studios want to cut that time down considerably and reap money in doing so. No doubt CUs could be an awesome thing all around, but nobody wants to wait and craft them the way to where they are given a solid foundation to work with. You build from the ground up.

Wait, wait, wait...

There's a Mr. And Mrs. Broccoli???

It's their family name. I too, was sort of amused of finding that one out, but apparently her father has been the producer of pretty much every Bond movie since the start, and she took over with Goldeneye, I believe.

Also, I think I would be cool with a short escapade into a shared universe for a bit. SPECTRE was basically the first multi-movie entity anyway, so technically there wouldn't be much to it. Unfortunately they blew their wad on that one big time with the last movie, so that's not going to be easy to recover from without some in-universe reboot of sorts. But it won't be as impressive as "hail Hydra" between Captain America 2 and Agents of Shield.
Regardless however, with our world how it is, a shared spy universe would work nowadays. The real question isn't "could it" but "how".

Lynd7

I actually don't think this is that bad an idea, can give people a female 00 Agent her own movie now.

Plus doing an M movie with a young Judi Dench M might be interesting.

Top Bottom